Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[GMG] Interface Zero: book purchasing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjmiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: [GMG] Interface Zero: book purchasing Reply with quote

I am finally getting the possibility of purchasing the IZ books. Now, I will only be able to get them one or two at a time, but I want to jump in and start running a game as soon as I can. So, I am wondering, which books should I get first? I did not get a chance to read all the descriptions at RPGNow (busy at work), but I could not immediately see which are the essential books and which ones I can slowly add in as I go.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interface Zero for Savage Worlds. Core setting info, rules, equipment, etc.
Hacking 2.0. Replaces the old hacking rules with something that's faster, simpler, and a lot more fun.
Zeeks. Psychics book. If you don't want IZ psionics then hold off on this for a while.

Everything else is awesome but not necessary.
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sir,

thanks so much for your interest!

Here's a link to my product line on rpgnow (I'm hoping to get setup on the Pinnacle store here soon)

http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=392_8953

Obviously the first PDF I'd suggest getting is the core "Interface Zero" book, though, once we start the kickstarter, it's days are numbered in terms of relevance system-wise, because 2.0 will greatly change those mechanics.

That said, it'll be good to have because a lot of the history information and that sort of thing will still be worth having. I'm not going to make people pay twice for the same content.

After that, I'd suggest Hacking 2.0. It's a complete update to the original rules, and is MUCH more user-friendly.

After that, it really depends on your cyberpunk flavor.

Like Psychics? get Zeeks and the Zeeks expanded supplement.

Like Big Cities? Get Boston; The broken cradle of liberty. It's a full city setting, ready to use.

Like a little Post apocalypse in your cyberpunk soup? get San Francisco. It's another city setting, but this time set i the ruins of San Francisco.

If you like combat bike racing, grab Road Rage, and you can use the rules therein to do everything from death race 2000 to an Attack Run on the Death Star!
Cripple X
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Interface Zero for Savage Worlds. Core setting info, rules, equipment, etc.
Hacking 2.0. Replaces the old hacking rules with something that's faster, simpler, and a lot more fun.
Zeeks. Psychics book. If you don't want IZ psionics then hold off on this for a while.

Everything else is awesome but not necessary.

I agree with Interface Zero and Hacking 2.0. I held out on the hacking rules for a while, but eventually picked them up. They are better than the default rules. Honestly, I think they should be free rather than $2, because its almost like they are charging for errata/revision, but the document does include some stuff not in IZ, so that's good. That's really all you need to start.

Zeeks is great supplement if you want psychic powers, but like ValhallaGH said, it isn't strictly necessary. The rules in Zeeks are bit different than the standard rules and the way most settings handle powerpoint-less casting, but they work well.

Last edited by Cripple X on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about charging for Hacking 2.0...

I felt there was enough new development work going on there, not to mention expenses like the artwork and paying the writer, that 2 bucks wasn't bad.

Updates/revisions to streamline the system will come out in IZ 2.0, but as for the hacking PDF, very soon I'll be adding a much larger, more extensive system for advanced hacking that will boost the page count considerably, maybe even to the point where I'll be able to print it.
Cripple X
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely understand the need to cover your overhead and whatnot, and that's what I figured it was. I've just had bad experiences with RPG companies charging for rehashed material, and a lot of Hacking 2.0 felt like "fixing" something I'd already paid for. But again it was two bucks, and it did have the Hyperglove content. So it certainly wasn't too bad for $2.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I GM'd a campaign the only books I had were the Interface Zero setting book and the Zeeks supplement. The 1st release of Hacking 2.0 wasn't available until our campaign was almost completed. Zeeks may not be to every groups fancy, but I'll add that I think the rules in that supplement hands down provide the best no point powers system in any SW setting. We also used the San Francisco supplement towards the end of our campaign and its a PDF I'd recommend.

Since I did it, I'm going to say that you can run a campaign in the setting without Hacking 2.0, but if you do you'll have to create some house rules. Although the core setting rules and the Hacking 1.5 errata do provide rules for hacking, they don't really define any sub-modes for the various types of activities like info processing, interfacing or virtual combat that a hacker can employ on a hacked system. IMO you really need to develop some houserules for those modes in order for players to really use the hacking system.

Although we chose not to adopt Hacking 2.0, which came available close to the end of our campaign, I think most GM's would find it worth the $2. Unless of course you really enjoy enhancing your settings with your homebrewed rules. That sort of describes my group and I, but hey we're really an odd bunch anyways. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: