Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new magic system( for savage warhammer)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheatiess
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: new magic system( for savage warhammer) Reply with quote

i rewrote it in a far more coherant way and droped the misscast stuff which is not vital to what i want to talk about

reposted under a new topic
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37697&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

thus this can be ignored or deleted

Magic

Arcane characters can be thought of as a battery with an ebb and flow of power

Arcane background characters have a threshold of power tokens equal to their casting skill and an equilibrium of half the skill

Thus a mage with spell casting d6 would have a threshold of 6 and an equilibrium of 3
Or a priest with faith d12+2 would have a threshold of 14 and an equilibrium of 7

Arcane characters gravitate towards equilibrium and they are assumed to be at equilibrium anytime their current power is not defined, such as during story mode or at the beginning of an encounter. If at the start of their action they are below equilibrium the character gains one power point for free. A character whose current power is greater than his equilibrium loses one power, unless he passes a control test to control the excess,

A control test is a free action performed at the start of the characters turn. It is a basic roll of the characters channelling skill with a success preventing loss of power.

A character can have more power than their threshold but at a great risk. For each point over the threshold the character suffers -1 to their control test. Thus if the mage with a d6 skill had 8 power points(2 over his threshold of 6) he would suffer - 2 to his control test.

If a character ever rolls a one on their channel die(for controll) they revert back to their equilibrium
If a character ever rolls a zero or less they are shaken and return to equilibrium
if they roll a modified zero or less on both die then they take a wound as well

Channelling (gaining more power)
Upon taking an arcane background the character gains the skill channel at d4 and can increase it as any other skill

Rather than more power points the character can take an edge once per rank that grants +1 to channelling rolls

Channelling is an action and can be multi actioned with the usual -2 penalty

A critical failure wipes a characters power points to zero
2-3 fail
4-7 grants one power point
8-11 grants two power points
12-15 grants 3
16-19 grants 4
20+ grants 5

miscasts

A roll of one on a spell casting die results in a miscast

Miscast
2 tear in fabric(roll below)
3-4 madness (using call of cthulu)
5-6 wound
7-10 shaken(double shaken no effect)
11-12 influx of power(+2 to casting for rest of encounter)

Tear in fabric
2 breach(summoned daemon)
3-5 battle of wills(roll sprit vs. sprit first party to get 8 points ahead wins loser gets a corruption)
6-8 things get weird(off milk, bleeding paintings, daemon reflections, lack of gravity)
9-10 stilled(cannot use magic for the rest of this encounter)
11-12 standing on the threshold(power points won't go below threshold for rest of encounter but miscast on one and 2)

so for example.
Daos the wizard has casting D8 and channeling D6+2( +2 from tome of spells and channel rank 1)
he has and equilibrium of 4 and a threshold of 8

1)first round he starts at 4 power and casts damage field(4 points) and rolls his casting as normal passes and now is at 0 points with one spell maintained

2)before his actions on the next turn he gets one point for being below equilibrium so is on 1 point. he now wants to get more points and cast burst(2 points) so he channels at d6(d6+2 -2) and gets a 5 so gets one more point so can cast burst (at -3 for multi and maintained spell)

3)on 0 agian he gets one piont for free(so can spam basic bolt every turn) and channels as his only action and rolls a 13(6+5+2) so gets 3 more points to be on 4

4)no free point this turn as he is at his normal level. but wants to cast something big so channels again and gets another good roll16(6+6+2+2) so gets 4 points

5)above his equil but not passed his threshold he must do a control test using his channeling so rolls D6+2 and gets a 2 on both dice (so 4) and has held onto his power. he wants even more power so he channels again and adds 3 more points. now on 11 but has to pay for his damage field so goes to 10

6)the controll test this turn will be at +0 (+2 -2) as he is above his threshold but he rolls a a 4 and a 1 on his wild so he still passed. channeling again and adding 3 more points he is now at 13 but has to pay for his damage filed so drops to 12

7) at 4 above his threshold his controll test will be at -2 and he rolls a 1 and a 2 so a -1 and a 0 so he got greedy and reverst to equil and is wounded

control if above equil
channel for more points
rest is same as core

edges for consideration
Channelling X
This edge can be taken once per rank. Each level of this edge adds +1 to all channelling rolls of the character to generate power/favour

Continuous flow req seasoned, channelling d10+
The caster may perform the channelling action and another action while only suffering -1 for multi action

Improved continuous flow req heroic, Continuous flow
Channelling becomes a free action

overcasting
threshold penalty becomes a +to damage

i have play tested this running 4 pc by myself and while i forgot the free power point once or twice it is very easy once you get the hang of it.

it makes cast big spells hard but stops a mighty wizard that went all out from being useless till he recharges(channel of d12+5 will generate 3 power most often)

the over the threshold system makes it feel like warhammer

anyway pull it apart and give some feedback
(late for work no time for error checking)

Last edited by wheatiess on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I just don't follow. There are a lot of concepts with unual terms that should be defined before you dive right into the crunch. Just my opinion but it's the pitfall of anyone writing up their own stuff ... you get it so bringing it down to the level of the plebs can be tough.

I'd suggest re-writing it for a person who knows next-to-nothing about Warhammer and not a lot about Savage Worlds, ... like a player that is crunch-phobic.

I'd love to 'get' this but at this moment it's going over my head.
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the basic idea is, you can't cast "big" spells without building up your power first.

If you cast a big or moderate sized spell, it might take you a round or two to recover and cast spells again

Standard magic is, you can cast several big spells in a row, or lots of smaller ones, but once you are out, it's hours to recover.

In a duel, standard mage would win, as he could cast big spells right away and in rapid succession. In the long run, a Warhammer mage can cast more spells in a day
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
It sounds like the basic idea is, you can't cast "big" spells without building up your power first.

If you cast a big or moderate sized spell, it might take you a round or two to recover and cast spells again

Standard magic is, you can cast several big spells in a row, or lots of smaller ones, but once you are out, it's hours to recover.

In a duel, standard mage would win, as he could cast big spells right away and in rapid succession. In the long run, a Warhammer mage can cast more spells in a day

In which case the Solomon Kane setting rules for magic would be a resource worth examining, or simply borrowing.
wheatiess
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rewrote it in slightly more rule book language than before and dropped the miscast stuff out becuase it is not vital to what im trying to discuss.

reposted under a new topic
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37697&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: