Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Trek Healing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malifer
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Savage Trek Healing? Reply with quote

There are a couple of good Star Trek conversions out there but they all seemed to gloss over or forget about the Doctor.

I liked to run an Original Series game, but I'm not really sure the best route for healing.

I would like the Hypospray and Medical Tricorder to be a little better than bandages in a Modern Day game.

Any thoughts?
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe go the weird science route?
MightyCthulhu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2 healing check?
hypos could have a variety of uses including negating a wound penalty or maybe giving an incapacitated character a vigor check to get back in the action?
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Healing in Trek is essentially magic. I mean, think of the pill McCoy gave the patient in Star Trek IV. Magical cure. And the hypoes and such are essentially healing potions.
malifer
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:

I thought about Powered "healing" but the only really difference I can see between it and Skilled healing is the need for bandages.

If you don't have bandages a skill healing check gets -2. Powered healing doesn't suffer this.

MightyCthulhu wrote:
+2 healing check?
hypos could have a variety of uses including negating a wound penalty or maybe giving an incapacitated character a vigor check to get back in the action?

I was thinking very similar to this, but is going to be very powerful.

The Medical Equipment gives a +2. This is in line with the Natural Healing check with modern medical equipment available only now advanced equipment is portable.

Also there would be The Healer Edge available (it's Doctor in Realms of Cthulhu) which gives a +2 for healing checks.

This means the Doctor will give +4 if he has his gear. Only a +2 if he only has bandages and +0 if he has nothing but dirty water and torn clothing.

I do think this fits the narrative of McCoy dusting off wounded Redshirts and have them limping away. But still leaves the opportunity for "He's Dead Jim".

I don't mind non-lethal games, the Ghostbusters Savage Worlds by Grey Wolf is great. And I guess that this would put Trek in the middle of Core Rule and Ghostbusters as far deadliness.

Unless someone has a better idea I guess this is the way to go.

Thanks for the replies.
malifer
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:
Healing in Trek is essentially magic. I mean, think of the pill McCoy gave the patient in Star Trek IV. Magical cure. And the hypoes and such are essentially healing potions.

Yeah I thought that first too. But don't potions just erase wounds.

Might be just as simple to give the Doc +2.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd go with allowing the hypospray to heal in 1 round and have the PC's healing skill used to operate it, so with that a medic could heal an injured character in the field during combat. It's a technical device, so I'd probably have it malfunction on a Healing dice roll of 1 with a critical failure not allowing a reroll with a benny. As well, a sickbay bed should grant a +2 bonus to natural healing rolls, which is in keeping with the design guidelines in the SciFi Gear Toolkit.

Star Trek is more hard SciFi than pulp, so IMO you should try to balance the strength of healing a bit with the consequences of PC sustaining long term damage - i.e. injuries outside the 'Golden Hour.' So if you make healing very powerful, you'll likely going to need to increase the damage on weapons to maintain the balance.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a board game I play called Battlestations that is very nearly a roleplaying game that simulates Star-Trek style ship-based missions. There are 4 classes. One of them is "Scientist" which functions as a doctor, among other things. In that game, character actions are sorted out and balanced by what skill you roll (each class specializes in one skill). If I wanted to simulate a Trek-style doctor in SW, I'd do it basically the way they do it in Battlestations.

You can go the Weird Science route if you want, but you could also simply create a number of actions characters can do with a Medicine skill roll, and what they can and cannot do without a medical tricorder or hypospray- then assign modifiers to their skill rolls. Go into as little or as much detail as you want. Maybe something very similar in process to the Healing power can be performed.

I actually think most of the medical scenes in ST look like Dramatic Tasks to me. Drawing a club would often mean that the doctor doesn't have the right tools or drugs on hand and will have to improvise.
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malifer wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:

I thought about Powered "healing" but the only really difference I can see between it and Skilled healing is the need for bandages.

Healing checks take 10 minutes of time, and thus cannot be performed during combat. The Healing Power is an action, and so only takes 1 round of game time (6 seconds).

I'd go with modeling it on the Weird Science rules. After all, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Smile
malifer
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
I think I'd go with allowing the hypospray to heal in 1 round and have the PC's healing skill used to operate it, so with that a medic could heal an injured character in the field during combat. It's a technical device, so I'd probably have it malfunction on a Healing dice roll of 1 with a critical failure not allowing a reroll with a benny. As well, a sickbay bed should grant a +2 bonus to natural healing rolls, which is in keeping with the design guidelines in the SciFi Gear Toolkit.

Star Trek is more hard SciFi than pulp, so IMO you should try to balance the strength of healing a bit with the consequences of PC sustaining long term damage - i.e. injuries outside the 'Golden Hour.' So if you make healing very powerful, you'll likely going to need to increase the damage on weapons to maintain the balance.

I do like this approach, but I'll probably drop the malfunction on a die roll. I think if I have Technical failure it will be a story plot point and this will make it better than some wacky scientist invention.

Balance is not really an issue, because I think more often than not the Crew will be outclassed.

I don't intend to run a combat heavy game. But I think of the Aliens that the Phasers don't work against, or the Aliens that use Disrupter pistols.

The Dread Polack wrote:

I actually think most of the medical scenes in ST look like Dramatic Tasks to me. Drawing a club would often mean that the doctor doesn't have the right tools or drugs on hand and will have to improvise.

That is a good thought. I haven't read those rules in while. But worth a look.

TheLoremaster wrote:
malifer wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:

Healing checks take 10 minutes of time, and thus cannot be performed during combat. The Healing Power is an action, and so only takes 1 round of game time (6 seconds).

I'd go with modeling it on the Weird Science rules. After all, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Smile

I completely agree the Science = Magic and I had not noticed that duration difference. So thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: