Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do any books have a lot of overlapping content?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malifer
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Do any books have a lot of overlapping content? Reply with quote

There is such a great selection of savage worlds books and my book shelves only have so much room. Sad

So I wonder is there a lot overlap is there in any of the books?

I would imagine Solomon Kane, Pirates of the Spanish Main, and perhaps 50 Fathoms all have similar Edges/Hindrances and probably Gear.

I'm sure the rest could be said about the other genre books. Or it might just be that most of the crunch is covered in the Core.

So if you have the time to share your thoughts on what you like I would be much grateful.

If you think a book is the best for the genre and love to bring it to the table you can just say buy the book.

If you like the book, but would only use it as an occasional reference or for certain rules only have to say get the PDF.

If you want to go in depth that is cool too.

Genre books I noticed

Alt History fantasy (more or less Earth)
Deadlands
Totems of the Dead
Solomon Kane
Pirates of the Spanish Main

Fantasy
50 Fathoms
Evernight
Sundered Skies
Fantasy Companion
Shaintar
Hellfrost
Runepunk

Horror
Rippers
Realms of Cthulhu
Horror Companion
War of the Dead

Pulp
Slipstream
Mars
Space 1889

Apocalyptic
Low Life
Nercopolis
The Day after Ragnarok

Supers
Necessary Evil
Super Powers Companion
Dawn of Legends
Ryche
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that under fantasy you missed Beast and Barbarians. Which is a good source for a Swords and Sorcery game.

As for coverage, both Super Powers Companion and Necessary Evil are very similar. The rouge's gallery in SPC is great to have, where as NE has a nice plot point campaign. Choosing only one depends on what you are looking for. If you don't need the campaign, I would go with the SPC since it has most of the information from NE.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Do any books have a lot of overlapping content? Reply with quote

Huh, you seem to have entirely missed Savage Suzerain - one of the best capstone settings I've ever seen. It's entirely possible to set all these other settings in Suzerain, and to have the PCs visit all of them over the course of the campaign. This is in addition to its own awesome settings (Caladon Falls / Relic, Noir Knights, Dogs of Hades, and the Shanghai Vampocalypse).

malifer wrote:
Alt History fantasy (more or less Earth)

Effectively zero overlap. All four are very good for what they do (action-horror western, action-horror dark ages, action-horror Renaissance, and golden age of piracy).
It's worth noting that Solomon Kane and Pirates of the Spanish Main are the only settings that have the core rules in the text. I understand that it was a licensing thing.
Quote:
Fantasy

Not a lot of overlap here.
50 Fathoms is a pirate fantasy setting. It's a great world, well presented, and with an excellent Plot Point campaign. Some gear and setting rules overlap with Pirates of the Spanish Main, but it's unique enough that it's worth getting.
Evernight is the first Savage Setting, and the least flexible. It's really cool, but it's more like one of Paizo's adventure paths than a complete setting book. Good but can be skipped.
Sundered Skies is a sky-pirates setting, where the sun can drive you mad. It's pretty awesome, and overlaps most with Slipstream's playstyle, despite having almost zero mechanical overlap.
The Fantasy Companion is a generic toolkit book to help you build and run the fantasy game of your desire.
Shaintar - I hear good things but I've never looked over it.
Hellfrost is a nordic-themed fantasy setting. Setting rules for cold, magic without power points, scaling powers, glory, reputation, and property (keeps, mercenary bands, etc.). It's pretty awesome, and has had extensive support from Tripple Ace Games. If you don't want to have to create a lot of your own fantasy setting then get this one.
Runepunk is a cyberpunk game, except all the stuff done by "technology" is done by Magic. You can't even leave the city, because the world ends at the edge of the city. Very cool stuff.
Ledgends of Steel and Beasts & Barbarians are both great takes on the Sword & Sorcery

Quote:
Horror

Again, basically no overlap. Rippers is Victorian monster-hunting, Realms of Cthulhu is a straightforward (and brilliantly elegant) Savage Call of Cthulhu. War of the Dead is a 52 part campaign in the beginning of the zombie apocalypse (the follow-up setting World of the Dead hasn't been released, but is supposed to be set about five years after the start of War of the Dead).
The Horror Companion is a generic toolkit to make horror-themed adventures and campaigns. It's an excellent toolkit, with tons of monsters, races, edges, hindrances, gear, and setting rules to get exactly the horror vibe you're after. But it's not a setting.

Quote:
Pulp

Some overlap, mostly between Mars (think John Carter) and Space 1889 (think Victorian explorations, on Mars). They're kind of exclusive.
Slipstream is like Flash Gordon, the RPG. Larger-than-life heroes, dastardly villains, ray guns, jet packs, and rocket ships. It's cool and fun, but the style isn't for all groups.

Quote:
Apocalyptic

Low Life is ... different. Worth picking up for the novelty alone, but it's an excellent setting.
Necropolis is a war setting - the war against the Nepharim (and the factional fighting amongst the human forces) is the centerpiece of the setting. And it's a war the PCs can help to win.
The Day after Ragnarok is pulpier, though it's set after the apocalypse (the Norse version). Again, pretty cool.

Quote:
Supers

As noted, Necessary Evil and the Super Powers Companion have almost all the same gear, edges, and new rules. The primary difference is a Plot Point Campaign versus a more extensive and setting-independent list of supers.
Dawn of Legends has an entirely different set of game mechanics, but seems to get very little use by Savages. I know a couple of people that use the Mutants and Masterminds version for a setting.

You also left out Weird War: Tour of Darkness, as well as Weird War 2. These are alternate history-horror versions of the Vietnam War and World War 2 (respectively). Not a lot of overlap, and useful for filling the holes in other settings.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For historical fantasy you can add Iron Dynasty, as its' Konoya setting is really a fantasy reskinning of Japan's Sengoku period - and a very good one at that I might add. Wink As well for the Pulp genre there's Thrilling tales, which in addition to be being an excellent pulp toolkit it also featues a terrific, full blown 5 chapter campaign entitled Crimson Emperor. For Post-Apocolyptic there's also Interface Zero wich really bridges that genre with SciFi Noir.

I've found overlap in a number of the setting books that I own, but they all have at least some hindrances, edges and play mechnics/systems that the others don't. I own a number of setting books that I've never run a campaign for and probably never will. With what the PDF's cost and the minimal digital space they occupy though, I bought them for reference when they were on sale. To put it into perspective in terms of $, most of what I bought in sales cost $7.50 - $12.
Here's some books I feel stand out for their respective genres.

Historical Fantasy:
For setting with a more military bent - Weird Wars II. Its a bit week on adventure gen and campaign, but it has so many other great systems including some for larger scale battles and chases, not to mention heaps of gear and organization details. And man is the artwork ever nice to look at! Wink I'll add that if you're interested in medieval gear for settings, the gear section in Iron Dynasty is beyond belief - honestly a lot of setting writers could learn from it. It's medieval Japan, but most of it could be reskinned for other settings.

Fantasy:
Beasts and Barbarians or Hellfrost. Both are excellent for different reasons, but if you like Sword & Sorcery, B&B is a must have IMO.

Post Apolcapyptic:
Interface Zero. As I said above it bridges 2 genres, but it does it so well and it has some truly great systems. Including a system for building animal-human hybrid races, a full blown xenomorph generator and very good tools for handling cybernetic implants and computer hacking.

Pulp:
Thrilling Tales. I'd go as far as to say if you only buy 1 additional book it should be it. Not only does it have some really good pulp tools, gear and good campaign, but it has hands down the best adventure generator I've ever owned. Which is easily adapted to any other setting with minimal modification - I've already adapted it to 3 other.

Supers:
I built my own supers campaign using the Supers Companion and TT's adventure generator. So I really can't give a favorite.

Horror:
The same thing as Supers; the only book I own is Pinnacle's companion. That said, I think its their best companion yet I'm already using its content for other settings.
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn of Legends was taken into a back alley, shot repeatedly, and taken off the market by me something like 2 years ago or so. So, it's pretty much out of the loop on any type of overlap.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee_Szczepanik wrote:
Dawn of Legends was taken into a back alley, shot repeatedly, and taken off the market by me something like 2 years ago or so.

Explains why I don't hear anyone talking about it anymore. Laughing

So much for that vague memory that you were altering the mechanics to hang onto the rest of it.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is, as I understand it, overlap with the fantasy toolkits, and the fantasy companion

and as I understand it, a lot of the powers on FC are now in SWD
MrBunraku
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, tagging onto this question. I'm interested in getting Slipstream, but I already have the Science Fiction World Builder, Gear, and Bestiary Toolkits. Is there a compelling reason to get Slipstream if I already have these? Can I recreate everything from Slipstream with the Sci Fi Toolkits? Or is Slipstream & the accompanying Plot Point so cool that I should get it anyway?
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also Kaiser's Gate, which is more or less WWI + magic

Weird wars is WWII + magic/horror, Kaiser's Gate is WWI + magic/fantasy. not so much horror, with a pretty cool magic system
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a note, Shaintar is the most "standard" fantasy setting for SW. That is, it's the most like traditional fantasy gaming. If you want to run a D&D style game, I'd pick up Shaintar.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBunraku wrote:
So, tagging onto this question. I'm interested in getting Slipstream, but I already have the Science Fiction World Builder, Gear, and Bestiary Toolkits. Is there a compelling reason to get Slipstream if I already have these? Can I recreate everything from Slipstream with the Sci Fi Toolkits? Or is Slipstream & the accompanying Plot Point so cool that I should get it anyway?

The Sci Fi Toolkits will do very little to recreate Slipstream.

Slipstream is like the old Flash Gordon serials. It's got a big bad that rules the pocket-universe of the setting, tons of aliens and strange worlds, dastardly bad guys, iconic heroes, and ray guns that are basically pistols with special effects.
It's like Star Trek and Indiana Jones had a baby, one that takes after it's father. Utterly ridiculous to modern science, but cool and fun once you suspend your disbelief. It's consistent, has a really fun plot point, an excellent adventure generator, and acceptably fun rocketship combat.
I'm really glad I picked up Slipstream, but that's not guarantee you'll enjoy it.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ditto what Valhalla's saying. The decent plot point campaign and the adventure generator would be reason enough to get Slipstream. IMO the SciFi toolkits have more content that's conducive to settings with a hard SciFi flavor as opposed to pulp. As well, the toolkits are a bit out of date with the core rules. Not a big deal as so little has been made obsolete with newer editions, but at a minimum you'd have to make adjustments to some of the ranged weapon damage values.
MrBunraku
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's my love of "pulpy" 30's/40's Sci Fi serial type stuff that made me interested in Slipstream in the first place. The Toolkits do talk about "pulp" as one of the styles of Sci Fi, but I was wondering if the specific info in Slipstream (plot point, setting, setting rules, etc) would make it worth getting.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, though, yes you have all you need with what you have. The only thing you're missing is the background setting (and the plotpoint/adventures) which, as others have said, is wonderful.

SteveN
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want 30's/40's style sci-fi pulp, you want Slipstream. It's honestly much more useful for that style of game than the Sci-Fi toolkits. Even if you don't use the setting, the mechanics (and a lot of the fluff) will be great for cannibalizing and creating your own game. You don't have to reinvent the space-wheel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: