Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[50F] Sail area and cost of sails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPT
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: [50F] Sail area and cost of sails Reply with quote

The players in my campaign have decided to buy a new set of sails for their ship which will be painted with a fire rose motif. I have been doing some research to see how much the sails would cost so I thought I would pass on what I have found.

This page ... http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/the-golden-hind-ship.htm ... states that The Golden Hind had a sail area of 2500 square feet whiich is 277 square yards.

Sail cloth costs 5/yard which I am assuming is per square yard and not per yard length. (According to ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailcloth ... Sailcloth comes in a width of 24 inches so if the cost is per yard length the costs below would be 50% higher).

Based on this the total cost of the sails would be 277 x 5 = 1385.

The Hind had 3 masts so (for simplicity) if we divide that by 3 we get sails costing approximately 460 each (I know a mast has more than one sail, but for my purposes this will be enough detail).

Obviously smaller ships use less sail, but as the area of ships sails does not seem readily available on the internet, I will reduce the cost of the sails according to the proportion of the ships toughness (excluding armour) with that of a galleon. So, for example, a Brig has a tougness of 18(4) so their sails will cost 460 x (18/20) = 414.

Does anyone see anything wrong with these values?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: