Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wild West Samurai
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Wild West Samurai Reply with quote

So I was considering making a Samurai Texas Ranger as a replacement character for my current Voodoo Priest. I was thinking it would be cool to retrap Chi Mastery for a Samurai by making all of the powers require a specific sword to use.

Here's the question-- should this negative come with a positive? My first thought is that it just gives the player some family katana automatically, sparing the $500 cost (and basic impossibility of finding) of a SWD katana.

However, I don't really want to cheat here. Katana's are super powerful. Should I use a longsword and leave it at that?

Also, I was thinking about a Smite trapping called Iajitsu Strike that allows the spell to be cast with no MAP but it only works for the single fighting roll that follows... what do you think?
TheLoremaster
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild West Samurai Reply with quote

Kakaze wrote:
I was thinking it would be cool to retrap Chi Mastery for a Samurai by making all of the powers require a specific sword to use.

Sounds fun!

Kakaze wrote:
Here's the question-- should this negative come with a positive? My first thought is that it just gives the player some family katana automatically, sparing the $500 cost (and basic impossibility of finding) of a SWD katana.

I'm not your GM, but I'd allow it. Consider the downsides: carrying around a big honking blade telegraphs your intent, even more so than carrying around a brace of pistols. It can be stolen by family rivals, or worse, broken by some horror. And then where would you be?

Yeah, there's a lot you can do with that ...

Kakaze wrote:
Also, I was thinking about a Smite trapping called Iajitsu Strike that allows the spell to be cast with no MAP but it only works for the single fighting roll that follows... what do you think?

I'd just take Quick Draw and be done with it.

Hope that helps!
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Draw or First Strike.

SteveN
TheLoremaster
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Quick Draw or First Strike.

Why not both? Twisted Evil
Edgeworth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wild West Samurai Reply with quote

Kakaze wrote:
However, I don't really want to cheat here. Katana's are super powerful. Should I use a longsword and leave it at that?

Just wanted to drop by and mention that there's stats for more down-to-earth katana in the Marshal's Handbook; STR + d10. I think that if you use the popular house rule which lets characters wield normally too large melee weapons two-handed as if their STR were a die type higher, you're golden. Of course if your GM thinks that the "normal" Katana works for the type of campaign you're playing, go with it. It's awesome.

Quote:

I'd go with Quick Draw/First Strike. And Smite.
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samurai Texas Ranger. My brain is mashing together the Texas drawl with a bad generic Asian accent, trying to imagine a garment that looks like both a kimono and a duster, and a cowboy hat that looks like a jingasa. It's a mess up there, but it wants to be sweet.
He probably shouldn't do much dueling at high noon in the street, but you gotta have a scene where be and the bad guy are facing off at the poker table, the bad guy goes for his gun, and then the samurai is standing with his sword drawn, and the bad guy slowly realizing he's just been cut open. Then as the samurai walks away, the poker table falls into two pieces.
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group has an incredibly awesome Texas Ranger in it already, so I was imagining sort of a Tanto to his Lone Ranger. I like the idea of the Ranger Band, and that he plays the flute badly as a cover.

Unfortunately the skill requirements of Texas Ranger are so high it doesn't leave a lot of room for the massive number of edges necessary to be good at sword fighting and chi mastery, even at Legendary. Hence the idea that his smite would sort of work like quickdraw, but have a (further) limitation that it only works for one attack.

The idea of a swordfighter dueling a gunslinger has an incredible appeal for me.
Edgeworth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a Samurai Gunslinger of my own all written up and ready for play. If I ever get the chance to play. And I even thought up the possibility of making him a Texas Ranger in-game.

Just once I want to pull off one very specific maneuver. First, a steely glare (Intimidation). Then fling the sword towards the target (Agility trick). When he's confused, quick draw and fannin' him dead. The penalties for it would be abysmal, but I WANNA.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sword: The DL:R stats for a katana are Str+d10 - some of the rail warriors in the marshal's handbook use them. Functionally, they're one-handed greatswords with no parry penalty; this makes them pretty great without making them as stupidly awesome as the core versions.

Edge: The Texas Ranger Professional edge is for all the perks of being a true Ranger. Band members are always considered "Privates" - they cannot be promoted because their arcane ways make them untrustworthy. That's one of the reasons musicians are segregated to the band, lumping them together to keep an eye on them, and make it easier to wipe them out if it becomes necessary.
This means that you don't need the Texas Ranger edge to be a Musician. Meeting the requirements would make you a very flexible and capable asset, but that training isn't why the Rangers recruited you - the arcane stuff is what they wanted.

Magic: Limiting your powers to only work through the daisho is thematically appropriate, and a moderate trapping limitation.
Ideas to compensate are welcome.

P.S. I am his Marshal, so all this goes for my campaign, even if it wasn't the Deadlands way.
P.P.S. Bringing a sword to a high noon duel, and winning, is something I've always wanted to do. So, keep that dream alive.
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GranFalloon wrote:
Samurai Texas Ranger. My brain is mashing together the Texas drawl with a bad generic Asian accent, trying to imagine a garment that looks like both a kimono and a duster, and a cowboy hat that looks like a jingasa. It's a mess up there, but it wants to be sweet.
He probably shouldn't do much dueling at high noon in the street, but you gotta have a scene where be and the bad guy are facing off at the poker table, the bad guy goes for his gun, and then the samurai is standing with his sword drawn, and the bad guy slowly realizing he's just been cut open. Then as the samurai walks away, the poker table falls into two pieces.
Don't forget the umbrella he glued together himself, and idiot cowpokes who make fun of the "Guy with the parasol and the dress."

They are already dead.
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty decent image:

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2010/029/e/f/efe43843dcaebdcad2733ade338238a7.jpg
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Your deal, Mr. Whateley."

The deck made a cool rippling noise as the pale skinned man shuffled the cards. The air was thick with smoke and the scent of cheap whiskey. "Been a while since I've played some real poker," rasped the voice of Tom Whateley as his hands made the cards dance and drop in front of the other three men at the table. "Lloyd and me, we played on the trail from Tucson but it ain't the same."

Lloyd Flinder glanced at his cards and then knocked back another tumbler of whiskey. "You still can't play for crap, Tom. I'm in for 5."

"You boys seem awfully flush to be just in off the trail. I'll see your five," said Mark Wheeler. A bead of sweet rolled down from underneath his hat brim.

"Your move, Asia," said Tom.

The fourth man at the table narrowed his eyes at Tom Whateley and pushed a chip forward. His dark hair is pulled back into a short ponytail.

"We saw a bit of luck on the way from Tucson, I can't deny that," rasped Tom at Wheeler. "Fine trails and fine skies the whole way. If my luck holds, I'll make it to the reunion on time." His sickly pale hand turns the first card.

"What sort of luck was that, Mr. Whateley?" queried Wheeler with a blubbery grin. "It certainly doesn't seem to be at cards. I raise 5."

"Crap, too rich for me. I need another drink anyways," says Lloyd, moving to rise.

"Wait your turn, Flinder," said the unnamed fourth man, stopping him with a hard glance. "I, too, would like to know what luck you had." A steady hand pushes in 10.

Tom Whateley gives the asian man a long look and returns, "I'm not sure I like your tone. I killed me a man up Prescott way, don't think I won't do the same to a man in a dress."

There's time enough for an indrawn breath and the sound of moving chairs before three feet of steel are pressed against Tom Whateley's throat. "I am Miyamoto Takezo. Ranger Paul Carver was my friend."

Wheeler falls out of his chair backwards as Flinder moves a shaky hand towards his iron. As he eases it out a Peacemaker appears in Takezo's off hand. "Reconsider, Flinder. My business is with Whateley."

Flinder gulps and takes to his heels through the back door. Whateley swallowed then rasped "You're a big man when you got the drop on a fella. You gonna open my throat with that pig sticker or just stand there looking stupid?"

"I offer you a choice. Face me in the street or die at the end of a rope."

"I shot Carver dead on a street in Prescott and he bled real good. I think I'll do the same to you."

"You can try."

The spurs on Whateley's boots made an odd counterpoint to the sound of Takezo's wooden sandals. As they headed out into the dusty street, Takezo holstered his gun and sheathed his sword.

They take positions about fifteen feet apart in the burning sun. A crowd of onlookers from the saloon peers out from the large windows.

"Carver was an idiot who couldn't draw fast enough to save his life. I'll bury you." Whateley's hand hovered at his side.

Takezo removes his gun belt and throws it on the ground. "Your tricks won't save you this time."

"You think you're faster than a bullet? What type of fool are you?" A few sparks began to crackle around his holstered pistol.

"I am Samurai." Takezo took to his toes, strangely light on his feet.

The onlookers drew in one sharp breath as a cloud of dust obscured the scene in the street for a moment. A single shot rings out in counterpoint to the sound of ringing steel. Then came the wind, revealing Takezo behind Whateley, his blade extended horizontally as his kimono rippled in the breeze. Whateley gasped loudly and fell to his knees. Takezo turned, flicked the blood from his blade, and sheathed it in one smooth motion.

"My brothers... will... find you, Asia." Whateley coughed up red.

Takezo drew a smaller sword from his side and raised it above Whateley's head. "I hope so."

The blade flashed a silver arc.

Last edited by Kakaze on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Edgeworth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kakaze wrote:
-snip-

If this were a certain social media, I'd like that. It's that good. Awesome stuff, seems a blast of a character to play. Was that re-telling of the character's intro or such, or just background for him?
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backstory I suppose, but mostly me thinking about what a samurai in the old west would be like.
WahookaTG
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome character idea Very Happy

A Chi power from Classic comes to mind, which can be used to catch/deflect bullets and even throw them back at the shooter. I can't remember the name (edit: Seize the Pearl of Death) but is there something similar in SW? This power might be very usefull to a samurai texas ranger.
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its part of the Deflection power, but I didn't want be too Jedi. I went with Smite(stone cutter), Armor(mountain heart), and Fly(one feather soul). Fly has the excellent benefit of being able to double your pace for 6 PP while simply looking like something from crouching tiger. I figure even with Fleet Footed, Takezo needed something to help him cover distance since the standard duel takes place at 12 inches or so.

I'm considering swapping Smite with Boost/Lower Trait though. Smite seems more appropriate, but 2d10 damage is rather a lot already and I'd love to up my Fighting to d12+1.
AtomicSamuraiCyborg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea! You gotta get deflection, though. You could just stand in the street and knock bullets out of the air until the other fella's smokewagon is empty, then just run over and cut him down.
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would stat a Katana as a Bastard Sword. d8 damage, +1 if used with both hands. It's no greatsword, and you don't need to be a titan among men to use one.
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess having it be one handed d10, there's no downside if you aren't strong enough to use it. I personally think the katana is just a longsword, but there is one mentioned in the back of Reloaded, so why not use it?
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kakaze wrote:
I guess having it be one handed d10, there's no downside if you aren't strong enough to use it. I personally think the katana is just a longsword, but there is one mentioned in the back of Reloaded, so why not use it?

Okay, I'm a bit of a military history nut, so if this is a katana made with japanese iron, I would just make it have the same stats as a longsword. The whole thousands of folds was needed because japanese iron had so many impurities. However, if you want the katana to have those mungo bonuses, why not increase its cost either in money or in belongings points to represent it being made in the usa with american steel/iron (thus its stronger) but with japanese swordmaking methods, making it extremely expensive. You could also make it so that you need a katana to do your chi mastery powers, making it a focus or something, so it balances out the fact that you are doing chi with additional damage from pointy things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: