Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to pass "elimination" tests? And why it's so h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vasquez21
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: How to pass "elimination" tests? And why it's so h Reply with quote

First thing is that I am sorry if I wil use not exactly same words as in orginal eu book, but I don't have english version of rulebook.

The thing I would like to talk is wounds...
In Core Rules, when you are hit and you will recieve 4th wound you have to pass "elimination test" or whatever it's called in eng version. The problem I have got is that let's say we have a strong, endurant guy who has his vitality set as d8 or even d10 (so this is very high for human).

Let's say our guy got 4th wound, and now he have to pass test which check if he will die... So we have roll d10 minus 3 (I am not realy sure if 4th wound also counts...). To get at least small success he need's to roll 7 or more... which gives him ~40% that he will stabilise himself. If he didn't pass the roll he will die at the start of next turn. And now we are talking about our tough guy!

If we take for example "standard" man. It will look like this... you will get d6, and you the only roll which save you is "6".

It looks... sooooooooooo deadly, and to be honest I can't believe all people are using this rules.
Right now I have started to read Interface Zero and there is information there that you have to make this test EVERY time you got a wound... That's sick imo.

So my question is if anybody is using some kind of home rules with that?

Right now I have 2 ideas...
First idea is to just get rid off mod. when we are testing Vigor to check if player will survive.
Second idea is to change "time" when player will die after he didn't pass the test. Right now, it's "next round". I am thinking about d4+1. Time. So it will be at least 2 rounds. It will give other time to react somehow, and at least try to help.

I will probably combine both this solution. But still I would like to know your experiance with that.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to pass "elimination" tests? And why it's Reply with quote

Vasquez21 wrote:
First thing is that I am sorry if I wil use not exactly same words as in orginal eu book, but I don't have english version of rulebook.

The thing I would like to talk is wounds...
In Core Rules, when you are hit and you will recieve 4th wound you have to pass "elimination test" or whatever it's called in eng version. The problem I have got is that let's say we have a strong, endurant guy who has his vitality set as d8 or even d10 (so this is very high for human).

Let's say our guy got 4th wound, and now he have to pass test which check if he will die... So we have roll d10 minus 3 (I am not realy sure if 4th wound also counts...). To get at least small success he need's to roll 7 or more... which gives him ~40% that he will stabilise himself. If he didn't pass the roll he will die at the start of next turn. And now we are talking about our tough guy!

Couple of points to start with. Just like you are unfamiliar with English, I'm unfamiliar with whatever version of the rules you have. All I can discuss is the current English version of the rules.

Secondly, this topic is just for official answers on how the rules work from the guys at Pinnacle, not open discussion on making house rules with the forums as a whole. For that, I'd suggest checking out SW General Chat.

Now, all that said, let's look at what you mention. First, the Wild Card with a d10 actually has exactly a 50% chance of success on that roll accounting for the Wild Die as well. And since it is a Trait roll, the player can spend a Benny to reroll if he wishes.

Some think the player would be unlikely to have a Benny since he would have spent them to Soak wounds, but look at the two main ways a character might reach 4 wounds. One big hit for 4+ wounds where the player would not have spent his Bennies yet, or multiple hits reaching up to 3 wounds before the 4th where the player would know he was in trouble and that saving a last Benny for Incapacitation (our term for "elimination") is the smart choice.

Also consider that those odds just look at flat dice, not Edges. Hard to Kill is a single Edge that removes all penalties for Incapacitation rolls entirely. And it only takes a Vigor of d8 for a character to get Nerves of Steel/Improved Nerves of Steel, reducing all wound penalties, which increases the odds of success as well.

Finally, in the current rules, characters don't automatically die on the following round. They start Bleeding Out, and have to make a Vigor roll. They only die if they fail that roll as well, and they even have another chance to stabilize if they get a raise on the roll.

Vasquez21 wrote:
It looks... sooooooooooo deadly, and to be honest I can't believe all people are using this rules.
Right now I have started to read Interface Zero and there is information there that you have to make this test EVERY time you got a wound... That's sick imo.

Interface Zero is a licensed setting, so I can't speak to its rules, but I think if you look closely you will find it has it's own Incapacitation roll table as part of its Setting Rules.

Ultimately, I think that may be what you are looking for, your own Setting Rules to fit your style of play. Incapacitation effects are one of the most common Setting Rules as what happens when a hero reaches his 4th wound is often a defining feature of a setting's style.

Again though, for house rules and options, check out SW General Chat, and finally, welcome to the forums!

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: