Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Sherman Make It To Columbia, SC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
synarchist
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Did Sherman Make It To Columbia, SC? Reply with quote

Hey, all! New to Deadlands, here, and I'm trying to get a stronger feel for the alternate history element. I have all of the printed material for DL:R, but none of the PDFs yet, so forgive me if this is covered somewhere!

Anyhow, I see from an earlier post on this forum that, while Sherman doesn't burn Atlanta (because he never actually has it), his march *does* happen and the Total War doctrine is used. After he reaches Savannah, does he take the second leg of the journey through South Carolina? Does Columbia burn?

Sorry if this is common knowledge material, but I haven't seen it discussed very much, and nowhere in the Reloaded materials I have! It *seems* safe to assume no, since that pretty well signals the end of the war in the real world to the best of my knowledge, but you never know...

Thanks, and I hope everyone is doing well out there in the big wide world!
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman's campaign is detailed in Classic: http://www.peginc.com/shop/deadlands-classic-tales-o-terror-1877-pdf/
Covers the 1876 and 1877 military campaigns. If you're really interested in learning about the progress of most of the war, it's worth picking up.
synarchist
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Sherman's campaign is detailed in Classic: http://www.peginc.com/shop/deadlands-classic-tales-o-terror-1877-pdf/
Covers the 1876 and 1877 military campaigns. If you're really interested in learning about the progress of most of the war, it's worth picking up.

Thanks! I'll definitely pick it up! Looks like I'm going to have to start digging through the Classic material, especially as I'm considering setting my campaign in '71, well before the Reloaded canon...
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synarchist wrote:
Looks like I'm going to have to start digging through the Classic material, especially as I'm considering setting my campaign in '71, well before the Reloaded canon...

The Classic cannon starts in 1876. #gunbattle

If you have not done so already, check out the player-friendly Timeline of Doom. It was updated through the Classic printings, but not into Reloaded, but it is still an excellent resource for understanding when events happened.

Generally, history prior to July 1863 is nearly identical (slightly more magic and monsters, especially before 1100 AD). After that, history is roughly the same, except that all conflicts were even longer-lived and more horrific; notably, the American Civil War continued until late 1879 and ended in a cease-fire / CSA victory. The 1877 Tales o' Terror gives you a nice history of the entire war, so you'll be good on that front (and most of that information doesn't matter for the posse's adventures - it's background stuff for almost all posses).
Really, it's simply a question of how much you want to screw with the official timeline. The more you are willing to mess with it, the more freedom you have to run the published adventures.

Best of luck!
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Did Sherman Make It To Columbia, SC? Reply with quote

synarchist wrote:
It *seems* safe to assume no, since that pretty well signals the end of the war in the real world to the best of my knowledge, but you never know...

You assume correctly. In addition to Tales o' Terror mentioned by Valhalla, Back East: The South also gives some more summaries of the war in Deadlands, broken down by location, including in both North and South Carolina.

Some more tidbits are scattered in Deadlands Dispatches at the back of various books in the later part of the line, but those two books give you, like, 90% of it.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!*

*Welcome to the forums. Buy stuff!
synarchist
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and all the info! Looks like I've got a lot of reading in my future! Why do I want to be a Marshal again? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: