Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I get to start playing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix3270
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: What should I get to start playing? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to savage worlds and I was wondering what would be good to get to start playing. I am in a budget so I would like to keep cost down and I all ready have the rule book. Thanks.
savage greek
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Savage Worlds and the Forums. If you are on a budget and you already have the core book then you are in luck, you already have everything you need to play!

One thing to do is checkout these very excellent Forums for Core Rule questions & answers. Otherwise head on over to Pinnacle's web site and download one of the many awesome "One Sheets" and pre-generated characters and have at it.

http://www.peginc.com/product-category/one-sheets/

Once you try out some of the various genre "One Sheets" then you can make a better decision as to what kind of Savage Worlds game you would like to play. There is a lot of great stuff to choose from.

Some of my favorites include: Deadlands, Solomon Kane, Slipstream, Hellfrost, Realms of Cthulhu, and Necessary Evil.

Good Luck & Good Gaming Very Happy
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I get to start playing? Reply with quote

Phoenix3270 wrote:
Hello, I'm new to savage worlds and I was wondering what would be good to get to start playing. I am in a budget so I would like to keep cost down and I all ready have the rule book. Thanks.

What do you "Need" beyond the core book?

Dice, pencil, paper, and ALOT of imagination.

Other than that, there's nothing you NEED. Though the reality is that things get a little easier when you pick up a setting book of some sort.

The setting book you get is going to depend on what setting you want to play in. I can't really suggest you pick up deadlands if you want to play fantasy...

That being said, I would argue that there are certain consideration. There are two different types of setting books for savage worlds.

The first are the "Plot Point books". These are designed as long campaigns with varying degrees of flexibility in them. Some are almost sandbox (50 fathoms), while others are nearly linear (Evernight). Most can often be used as open settings, but the amount of information for them is generally limited.

The others are your "Open Setting Books". These are the ones your most likely used to. They are a setting, monsters, and little else unless you get an extra book. Deadlands (and Hell on Earth) are the ones offered by Peg, but there are a number of other ones by Triple Ace Games, Reality Blurs, and others.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I get to start playing? Reply with quote

Phoenix3270 wrote:

Welcome aboard!

As the others say, if you have the rulebook, you have everything you need except dice, pencil and paper.

SW works better if you have a setting, but one of its strengths is how easy it is to convert any other material you already have. Making up the setting as you go is also easy; because the rules are fast and simple, you have more time to think about the adventure and the milieu.

Also, I suggest you embrace the concept of trappings and apply it everywhere, especially to the monsters - the game stats for a beast can be used completely independently of its description most of the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: