Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resolving order of play upon interruption by Hold action

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andokean
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Resolving order of play upon interruption by Hold action Reply with quote

I hope you can answer a core rules book question to me that stumped my playing group and me:

If a character makes a HOLD action, is he able to interrupt another characterís action if he has a higher value card than that character? Or can he act when that character acts, but only after that character has acted, regardless of the fact that he had a higher card?

Letís say 2 characters, one an archer, the other a knight, are behind cover. The locations where they are hiding are placed 6 squares apart on the battle mat. The archer has his bow drawn, ready to shoot de knight when he sees him. The knight knows that the archer is near, suspects that he will be shot at when he emerges from cover, but is intent on hammering his enemy into the ground the moment he reaches him.

The archer has drawn a King, the knight a 5.

The archer takes a Hold action, waiting for the knight to emerge from cover so that he can shoot him. The knight decides to emerge from cover upon his action, intent on walking over to the archer and striking him down. The player of the archer declares that he acts at the same time when the knight character emerges.

Is the archerís Shooting roll resolved first because he has a higher value card than the knight? Or is the knightís action (walking over to the archer and rolling Fighting to kill him) first in spite of the fact that he has a lower card?

My group was divided on what was fair in the scenario described above. Nerdy arguing ensued. It was not a pretty sight.

Thanks for your answer.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Resolving order of play upon interruption by Hold action Reply with quote

andokean wrote:
I hope you can answer a core rules book question to me that stumped my playing group and me:

If a character makes a HOLD action, is he able to interrupt another characterís action if he has a higher value card than that character? Or can he act when that character acts, but only after that character has acted, regardless of the fact that he had a higher card?

Letís say 2 characters, one an archer, the other a knight, are behind cover. The locations where they are hiding are placed 6 squares apart on the battle mat. The archer has his bow drawn, ready to shoot de knight when he sees him. The knight knows that the archer is near, suspects that he will be shot at when he emerges from cover, but is intent on hammering his enemy into the ground the moment he reaches him.

The archer has drawn a King, the knight a 5.

The archer takes a Hold action, waiting for the knight to emerge from cover so that he can shoot him. The knight decides to emerge from cover upon his action, intent on walking over to the archer and striking him down. The player of the archer declares that he acts at the same time when the knight character emerges.

Is the archerís Shooting roll resolved first because he has a higher value card than the knight? Or is the knightís action (walking over to the archer and rolling Fighting to kill him) first in spite of the fact that he has a lower card?

This is covered under Hold in the description of Interrupting Actions (pg. 65 of SWD or pg. 72 of SWDEX).

In short, they make Opposed Agility rolls to see if the person on Hold can interrupt before the other character finishes his action.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: