Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prequel to Deadlands for kids
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Prequel to Deadlands for kids Reply with quote

Howdy,

I have a small group of Savage kids at my church, all age 11 plus their dads, and picked up the DLR handbooks, The Flood, and some other books with they plan to use it when they're maybe 16 or so. When I mentioned it to them the said, you guessed it, "why can't we play it now, or when we're done with Mouse Guard?"

So what I was wondering was, are there any adventures or plot points that might be easily worked into a less horror/supernatural-filled western that we could maybe use to build up to the big change in the 1860s? Or has anyone run their own prequel campaign and willing to share some thoughts? I'm almost 45, but I haven't been at this very long. The only other Savage Worlds campaign I've run is a Star Wars setting for the same kids. They got a handle on the rules very quickly, by the way, and if anyone wants my setting notes, just drop my a PM. Anyway, I've seen enough westerns to be able swipe some story ideas, so if nothing else maybe we can bounce around some thoughts on a Savage western with kids. Thanks!

Stephen "Trotter"

P.S. The rules are great for kids. Have you PEG folks given any thought to a setting targeted at beginner gamers? Maybe a Deadlands per-magic western might be just the thing!

"Shoot low, Boys! They're ridin' Shetland ponies!"
- Lewis Grizzard
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this retimed to 1860

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27756

of course after i write it, which is due in 20 days

Von "pimping my Brain" Dan
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan!

You're brilliant! Scooby-style would make it possible to keep some weirdness, too. I'll be hanging on to this.

Thanks!
Stephen "Trotter"
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The posse has the fearmonger all tied up:

Posse leader: Now lets find out who this "demon" really is:

*tears off latex mask*

leader- Its Stone! OH GOD ITS STONE!

Stone- And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids. Ah heck, I'll get away with it anyway.

TPK.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a 25 year old Mark Twain setting up a fake haunted cave near his home town of Hannibal Missouri
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
what about a 25 year old Mark Twain setting up a fake haunted cave near his home town of Hannibal Missouri

heck, why not use the cave scene from Tom Sawyer? Have two kids in the two go missing and they have to find them, with injun joe disguising himself as a monster to protect the gold. Have the kids spot the monster but none of the adults believe me except for the before mentioned mr samuel clemens. He helps them find the cave and they trap injun joe and rescue tom and huck.
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I don't know much about Deadlands lore. Has Sam Clemins shown up before? I'm a big fan. I have collection of his books that was published more than a century ago and a Peterson pipe modeled after a Peterson from the museum because they had lost the design.
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isk, I like it!
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:

heck, why not use the cave scene from Tom Sawyer?

yes that is about what i was thinking except when they peel the mask off the villain is Samuel Clemens who was behind it all.

It was all about promoting the town so he can sell his books and get rich and impress Laura Wright

and the book he later writes is based on his crimes

Last edited by VonDan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
yes that is about what i was thinking except when they tere the mask off it is Samuel Clemens who was behind it all

and the book he later writes is based on his crimes

Mark Twain heel turn?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about when the paddle wheel steamship Roe is passing Cave In Rock, river pirates dressed as monster row out at night in skiffs and board and kidnap Laura Wright. Now she is being held in the cave out side Hannibal. Samuel Clemens turns on the ruffians he hired for the charade by killing them one by one when they come to the cave for payment so he can appear to rescue her
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you remember the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators series of young reader mysteries? I loved those as a boy. Clemens could be a Hitchcockian NPC who rewards the kids' efforts with transportation and materials. "The Celebrated Jumping Frog From Calaveras County" (I used this as the basis of a draft of a jazz opera in grad school) was published in 1865 under a different name, so it might be that he sees kids with his own adventurous spirit and encourages them. He's no doubt collecting ideas for his writings at this point, so it might not be too much of a stretch if adventures inspire his future writings.

By the way, bull sharks have been spotted up the Missouri as far North as Illinois. As we talk about "Life on the Mississippi" this seems like info that might be fun to use!

What about official adventures that could be tweaked into prequels so the kids (and I) could be learning something about he setting? Or is that even really possible before the world changes? Does everyone even know how the world has changed, or are there places in the USA/CSA unaware, that would be a good place to run?
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little House on the Deadlands!
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotter wrote:

What about official adventures that could be tweaked into prequels so the kids (and I) could be learning something about he setting? Or is that even really possible before the world changes? Does everyone even know how the world has changed, or are there places in the USA/CSA unaware, that would be a good place to run?

The general rule of thumb is that unless you want the WHAT! Texas Rangers WHAT! to open up a can of whoop ass WHAT! and then stunner you WHAT! and then eat a couple of burgers WHAT! and then stunner you again WHAT! and then shoot ya WHAT! if ya know about the reckonin you best keep your mouth WHAT! shut. In short, few people know about the reckonin outside of the big players and some unlucky sods.
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. So, the first rule of Deadlands is, don't talk about Deadlands. But are there official adventures that leave the WHAT out, or could be changed without wrecking them?
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do a "normal" western, just use the deadlands rules.

or start with mostly mundane, and gradually introduce the supernatural.

will the PCs be as young as the players?
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a little older, but still young enough for the hindrance and penalties that go with it. The dads will be older though. When we played Star Wars only the Jedi were young, but due to their extensive and rigorous training I did not require that hindrance. All Jedi had to have Poverty and their choice of Code of Honor, Overconfident, or Pacifist.

In this setting I want to keep the kids' PCs young because I think it will help keep the adventures age-appropriate.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not read them, but these might have some good ideas.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=The+Adventures+of+Nathan+T.+Riggins+
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a price spread, but there's a few on the iBooks store. I've never been a reader of westerns, just a movie watcher. My brother's favorite author is Cormac McCarthy, so I aughtta broaden my horizons. What better place than in the west? Thanks!
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you do don't get any idea from the often forgotten Books "Tom Sawyer Abroad" by mark twain about the adventures of Tom Huck and Jim in a balloon that goes all around the world. Or Tom Sawyer Detective

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sawyer_Abroad

http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Mark_Twain/Tom_Sawyer_Abroad/The_Balloon_Ascension_p1.html

http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Mark_Twain/Tom_Sawyer_Detective/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sawyer,_Detective
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: