Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From The Flood to Manitou Bluff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willis
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: From The Flood to Manitou Bluff Reply with quote

The webpage says that legendary characters can play manitou bluff after completing the flood. Does that mean that characters WILL be legendary after the flood? I'm starting a game now and using the flood to kick it off, but I was hoping to run through all of the printed reloaded adventures. Any advice?
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All our Plot Points are designed to take a group from Novice to Legendary. But of course it's up to you, as Marshal, to run enough games and give out enough XP to ensure that happens.

I'm not clear on your second question. Do you mean running the same group of characters through all the printed adventures? That'll take some adjustments (of exact dates, details, etc.) because they're not designed for it.

Also, running Manitou Bluff may hamper your group's ability to do The Last Sons. Permanently. Twisted Evil
Willis
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would it be better to run Last Sons first, then go into Return to Manitou Bluff? Just trying to get a feel for the timing.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through all the Reloaded adventures would take a lot of real-world time. The Plot Point Campaigns alone seem to take a group that meets weekly at least a year to do properly.

Because both The Flood and Last Sons are designed to go from Novice to Legendary, it's assumed that you'll start the other with a different set of characters (rather than starting the second PPC at Legendary). You could probably make it work out where you could run one set of characters through both, but you'd need to make advancement very slow (you're talking about 1 XP per session) and adjust the difficulty of some parts yourself in order to account for the posse being at different XP than expected.

If you've got all that worked out (and are quite confident in your posse's ability to not die over the course of two PPCs), then yes, you'd probably want to run The Flood, then Last Sons, then Return to Manitou Bluff.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willis wrote:
So would it be better to run Last Sons first, then go into Return to Manitou Bluff? Just trying to get a feel for the timing.

The Flood happens in the 1879-1880 timeframe, and The Last Sons occurs during late 1880-1881. You could swap them, but it'd be a bit difficult to use the Epitaphs as player handouts.

Thunderforge wrote:
If you've got all that worked out (and are quite confident in your posse's ability to not die over the course of two PPCs), then yes, you'd probably want to run The Flood, then Last Sons, then Return to Manitou Bluff.

But Return to Manitou Bluff begins (chronologically speaking) in the Maze a few weeks after the end of The Flood... about the same time The Last Sons starts in the Sioux Nations.

There's some guidance in Return... about making the adventure happen earlier, if the Marshal wants to run it during The Flood, but shifting Return... to a year later would likely change a lot of the adventure's details.

Not saying it can't be done, but it'll take some work.
beholdsa
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ran The Flood a couple years ago the PCs made it all the way through the campaign up to Grimme himself, and then were wiped out to a man. TPK.

I'm planning to run The Last Sons in the upcoming months and I figured that afterward I would have the party swing by California and finish what the last party started (taking care of Grimme for good).

How difficult would that be to work Return to Manitou Bluff into the trip to California? I'm unlikely to have a party of Legendary characters otherwise?
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beholdsa wrote:
How difficult would that be to work Return to Manitou Bluff into the trip to California? I'm unlikely to have a party of Legendary characters otherwise.

I hadn't considered it before, but I think it would work *great* in that particular situation. Because...

spoiler wrote:
It's the Great Flood itself that "triggers" Return to Manitou Bluff. So if your players set off the deluge later on, Manitou Bluff is waiting for them.

Might need to censor a bit of info in the Epitaph for The Last Sons, because there's been no flood yet, but that's about it.
Mavis
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
The Plot Point Campaigns alone seem to take a group that meets weekly at least a year to do properly.

I have been running The Flood every week for almost a year now and the characters have only located two glyphs. The players are just so interested in exploring the Maze and there are so many great hooks and ideas within the book that it is likely to be well over two years to complete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: