Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Special Investigations: Nightshift (Home brew setting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackJaw wrote:
So I'm not sure I'm going to get permission to use Defining Interests in SINS. I've asked for an approval, but I haven't gotten a response back to my specific plans yet.

I'm starting to look at making up my own alternative system. The basic goal is to have a system where players, in the middle of a game, can add a limited amount of back story and related skill experience, to their characters, mostly in terms of knowledge and languages.

Specifically, a character pulls the old "Latin? You know I went to a Jesuit School when I was a kid. This one priest would whack the back of my hand with a ruler when conjugated tenses wrong. I can't look at the stuff without my hands tingling." And poof, your character knows a bit of Latin. It's the kind of thing done on Law & Order all the time. Back story is brought up out of no where because it's useful for the current story, and then it's cannon, or even an important part of the character concept from that moment forward. My example above isn't that far off from Frank Pembleton on Homicide: Life on the Street.

So... what if I actually just make it that easy?

Back-story Elements
You character starts with 3 empty back-story slots. At any point on camera your character can declare a bit of back-story, like having gone to a Jesuit School, fishing in the bayous with your uncle last summer, taking an art class at the community college, or honeymooning Paris. Suddenly you get a single Knowledge: <whatever> skill at d4, as if you always had it, and including languages.
As your character advances, you pickup more backstory element slots at the rate of one per Rank.
Back Story Elements become full standard skills, and may be advanced like any other skill.
The Director has approval over both the back story element and the related skill.

Wow! That's an amazing dynamic! Just ... Wow! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takeda wrote:
BlackJaw wrote:
So I'm not sure I'm going to get permission to use Defining Interests in SINS. I've asked for an approval, but I haven't gotten a response back to my specific plans yet.

I'm starting to look at making up my own alternative system. The basic goal is to have a system where players, in the middle of a game, can add a limited amount of back story and related skill experience, to their characters, mostly in terms of knowledge and languages.

Specifically, a character pulls the old "Latin? You know I went to a Jesuit School when I was a kid. This one priest would whack the back of my hand with a ruler when conjugated tenses wrong. I can't look at the stuff without my hands tingling." And poof, your character knows a bit of Latin. It's the kind of thing done on Law & Order all the time. Back story is brought up out of no where because it's useful for the current story, and then it's cannon, or even an important part of the character concept from that moment forward. My example above isn't that far off from Frank Pembleton on Homicide: Life on the Street.

So... what if I actually just make it that easy?

Back-story Elements
You character starts with 3 empty back-story slots. At any point on camera your character can declare a bit of back-story, like having gone to a Jesuit School, fishing in the bayous with your uncle last summer, taking an art class at the community college, or honeymooning Paris. Suddenly you get a single Knowledge: <whatever> skill at d4, as if you always had it, and including languages.
As your character advances, you pickup more backstory element slots at the rate of one per Rank.
Back Story Elements become full standard skills, and may be advanced like any other skill.
The Director has approval over both the back story element and the related skill.

Wow! That's an amazing dynamic! Just ... Wow! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

I'm considering to start using this in my Beasts & Barbarians game this evening Very Happy Hm, do SINS characters have any extra languages by default or are they gained only this way? This would be a great way of dropping 'boring' parts of character creation off, especially if wanting to create a character quickly!

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackJaw wrote:
warrenss2 wrote:
Please, please, please make the pdf printer friendly.... please?

What's your definition of printer friendly?

Something you can print out that doesn't eat a whole ink cartridge. Nor is slapped with wall to wall color pictures, borders, or page backgrounds.

I want to buy your PDF for it's gaming content... not the heavy duty, over the top artworks.

Sorry if I came across a little strong there... it is one of my put peeves.
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SINS characters only know their native language by default. It's 90s USA so bilingual isn't so common. In theory, any character could take any language as a knowledge skill at any time. If you wanted to play a bilingual Hispanic cop you could take Spanish as your native tongue, then buy knowledge English up a rank or two.

If you're trying background elements out, let me know how they go. It's essentially free skills, but they are limited to d4s because you get them after buying real skills, and they only work with knowledge skills... On the other hand they are exactly what you need when you need them.

Oh and Warrenss2, I wasn't offended, I just wanted to know what you were looking for. You seem to be asking for a reasonable printer version, and I shouldn't have too much trouble with that. I'm planning a version for print on demand full color, which will also be the screen version, and a low art black and white home printer version. Both are dark text on light background. I may make a simpler cover for the printer friendly version or just cut it off completely.

I do need decent art and layout in order to better secure a license, at least they imply that on the related website page. As a non-entity in gaming, I'll need something nice looking to win them over.

-BlackJaw (via gadget without a proper keyboard.)
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm working my way through the setting section and working towards the monster/npc section. Along the way I've been handling silver bullets, wrought iron weapons, and similar.

So the I'd like some thoughts on using the repair skill for manufacturing silver bullets and converting shotgun shells to rock-salt shot. My first write up of the section had the Knoweldge (Gunsmith) skill, but the more I thought about it, the repair skill works find for this, and actually make the repair skill and the handful or related edges useful in the setting instead of tying in a new version of knowledge.

Oh for the record, I'm using the TV portrayal of silver bullets; which is that they are silver and work like normal bullets, even though this isn't really how they would work. Rock Salt shot is considered non-lethal and uses the same range as a sawed off regardless of the size of your shotgun. I'm trying to avoid overly complex rules here.

Wrought iron weapons are normally improvised (fire poker or nails in a baseball bat) but it's possible to get some weapons (knives, spear heads, arrow heads) made from it, but it's not something you can easily go shopping for in a modern setting.

Silver knives, on the other hand, are something you can occasionally find for sale, of course you're stuck sharpening decorative dinnerware, but if you object is to stab werewolves, it will do.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repair was the right call. I figure a success can create 10 bullets, or 30 with a raise with about 30 minutes of work; lack of tools would be a penalty of -2 to -6 depending upon which tools were missing. For shells, cut the numbers in half (5 and 15) while leaving everything else the same.
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure 30 minutes is enough time to melt and pour silver into new molds, etc. I'm using 1 hour for the time period, and d6's for the number made/converted. I want special ammo to be a dramatically limited resource. I think that better fits the TV show style, and I know from past games that carrying only 5 silver bullets, etc, makes for a more interesting choice of when to use them. It also makes aiming and called shots more important.

At the moment I have it setup for $50 worth of relatively pure silver (likely from jewelry or fancy silverware) can be used to make 1d6+2 silver bullets in about 1 hour (with another d6 for a raise). That assumes proper tools. I don't think you can really make silver bullets without having a way to melt silver or a mold. Good rolls makes for more efficient use of the silver, but silver ammo is rare in game.

Rock salt is cheaper (like $5 for a 50lb bag cheaper) and you're just converting existing shells, so there is much in the way of tools needed beyond a screwdriver and knife. I had it at the rate of 2d6 an hour with another d6 for a raise, and the limit is the shotgun shells, not the salt. Salt shells aren't all that rare, but its about the only thing the players have that can hurt ghosts, and even then they don't stay dead.

Similarly, you can't just buy holy water, but you can easily grab 1d6 vials of it from a church font without too many people noticing or asking questions. Getting more than that requires working something out with the priests. Simply taking a bucket load "for police business" is a good way to get a Bad PR Event for the Reputation test.

Holy symbols (which need to sort of be charged with faith), silver knives (generally fancy silverware that's been sharpened), and wrought iron daggers are things you need to pickup from antique stores or pawn shops, and while they have price tags, they also require a Streetwise check to locate a proper one. A raise gets you something exactly right, or two of them for sale. Failure gets you none, and a critical failure means what you bought isn't pure enough to work.
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I could really use some help on this. I've got some experience making Savage Worlds characters, but not as much as I'd like. What follows are the first drafts of SINS archetype/pregen characters. They are made including the Police Training feature that spots them a few key skills.

Aging Lieutenant
You've been with the department for close to 30 years. With your seniority there was no way the union was going to let them promote some new kid ahead of you this time. You just wish they hadn't made you Lieutenant of this unit of misfit cops.
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d4
Skills: Driving d6, Fighting d6, Gambling d6, Intimidation d8, Investigation d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d6, Shooting d6, Streetwise d6, Taunt d8
Charisma: -, Pace: 5, Parry: 5, Toughness: 6 (8 vs Bullets)
Hindrances: Elderly, Habit (minor), Pick one Minor
Edges: Command, Lieutenant Rank, Pick One

Brilliant Detective
Solving cases comes easy to you... facts and evidence fit together like lovely puzzle pieces. Unfortunately people are less straightforward.
Attributes: Agility d4, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d6, Investigation d10+2, Notice d8 (+2 Clues), Repair d4, Shooting d6, Streetwise d8+2,
Charisma: -1, Pace: 5, Parry: 5, Toughness: 7 (9 vs Bullets)
Hindrances: Habit (minor), Pick one Minor and Major
Edges: Investigator, Pick Two

Dirty Cop
So what if you took a bribe here or there? Everyone in arson was on the take to some extent, and it's not like anyone other than insurance companies were getting hurt.
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d4, Intimidation d6, Notice d6, Persuasion d8, Shooting d6, Streetwise d8, Taunt d6
Charisma: -, Pace: 6, Parry: 5, Toughness: 7 (9 vs Bullets)
Hindrances: Crooked Cop (minor), Pick one Minor and Major
Edges: Connections (Criminals), Rich, Pick One

Former Delinquent
You came up through these streets. As an adult, you've arrested kids for the crimes you yourself committed when you were their age. You understand the streets, and you still know some people that run them.
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Climbing d6+2, Driving d4, Fighting d6, Gambling d4, Intimidation d6, Lockpicking d6+2, Notice d4, Shooting d4, Stealth d8+2, Streetwise d6, Tracking d4
Hindrances: Pick two Minor and one Major
Edges: Thief, Connections (Crime), Pick One

Gulf War Vet
You did at least one tour of duty in the Gulf War between 1990 and 1991, and then returned to become a cop or rejoin the Police Department. Maybe you got Gulf War Syndrome, maybe you aren't the same as you were before the war. Maybe you were always just a jerk. Whatever the reason, you got transferred to SI.
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d6, Healing d4, Intimidation d6, Notice d6, Shooting d10, Streetwise d6, Knowledge (Explosives) d6, Knowledge (Battle) d4
Edges: Pick Three

Hot Shot Cop
You've got more citations for bravery than the rest of your old unit combined, but when another of your partners ended up in the hospital trying to keep up with you, no one else would step up. Combined with your extensive record of property damage, it was all the brass needed to transfer you to SI.
Skills: Driving d6+2, Fighting d10, Notice d4, Shooting d8, Streetwise d6, Taunt d6
Charisma: -, Pace: 6, Parry: 7, Toughness: 7 (9 vs Bullets)
Hindrances: Arrogant, Pick two Minor
Edges: Ace, Brave, Pick One

Mr./Ms. Spin
When you get a suspect in the box, they are done for. Your silver tongue brakes more cases than you can count, and at times it seems like there is nothing you can't talk your way out of. That didn't prove true when you discovered your latest girlfriend was the captain's daughter. You're lucky you were only transferred to SI instead of walking a beat or writing tickets.
Attributes: Agility d4, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d6, Intimidation d6, Notice d6, Persuasion d10 (+2 Spin), Shooting d4, Streetwise d6, Taunt d6
Charisma: +2, Pace: 6, Parry: 5, Toughness: 7 (9 vs Bullets)
Edges: Charismatic, Spin Doctor, Pick One

Officer Tough-guy/Tough-gal
You know only one way of working crime: the 9th Ward Way. You take to the streets and the corner boys go running. Is it really your fault that little punk couldn't take his beating like a real man?
Attributes: Agility d4, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d8
Skills: Climbing d6, Driving d4, Fighting d10, Intimidation d8+2, Notice d4, Shooting d4, Streetwise d6
Charisma: 0, Pace: 6, Parry: 7, Toughness: 9 (11 vs Bullets)
Edges: Brawny, Strong Willed, Pick One

Swamp Cop
You were raised on the Bayou before moving to the city and becoming a cop. You're familiar with the traditional tales of voodoo, and might even be a minor adherent to the religion yourself. Is it any wonder you got transferred to SI?
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Boating d6, Driving d4, Fighting d4, Investigation d6, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Survival d8+2, Swimming d4, Tracking d8+2, Knowledge (Occult) d6
Charisma: -2, Pace: 6, Parry: 4, Toughness: 7 (9 vs Bullets and Magic)
Hindrances: Outsider (Swamp folk), Pick one Minor and Major
Edges: Woodsman, Pick One

True Believer
One night on a case you saw something impossible. You got curious, and the more you looked the more your fellow officers whispered about you. You heard the rumors about SI, and jumped at a chance to join the unit and learn the truth about what goes bump in the night.
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d4, Investigation d8, Notice d6, Persuasion d4, Repair d4, Shooting d6, Streetwise d8, Tracking d4, Knowledge (Occult) d8+2, Knowledge (Religion) d8+2
Charisma: 0, Pace: 6, Parry: 4, Toughness: 7 (9 vs Bullets)
Hindrances: Curious, Pick two Minor
Edges: Scholar (Occult, Religion), Pick Two

Veteran Monster Hunter
This isn't your first rodeo. You ended up on the SI Nightshift years ago, penalty for your sins as a young hot shot cop, and now you spend your nights battling the monsters and witches, and hoping the nightmares from the case that went wrong won't keep you awake.
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d8, Healing d6, Notice d6, Persuasion d6, Repair d8, Shooting d8, Streetwise d4, Tracking d4, Knowledge (Occult) d8
Charisma: 0, Pace: 6, Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (9 vs Bullets)
Edges: Brave, Hardboiled Special Investigator, Pick one
Note: Draw cards for Hardboiled Special Investigator see p. 10.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that all but the last one (which specifically labels itself as at the Seasoned Rank) are meant to be standard starting characters, the listed skills don't add up (unless I missed some setting rule which increases the number of starting skill points). I've also noticed that, with the exception of the Swamp Cop, you've put all the Hindrance points into taking Edges at the expense of traits. Remember that there are no dump stats in Savage Worlds. Having a starting character with a d4 in more than one Attribute is a bad idea. I'll go over them more thoroughly and post my suggestions for revisions tomorrow. But the first thing that comes to mind is in cases where there's a Pick 1/2 under Edges is to invest those into boosting traits. Another is that increasing skills past d8 during character creation is a waste of points.
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the characters* are supposed to be starting novice humans with "Police Training" and "Serve & Protect" which are setting rules.

"Police Training" means they all start with a d4 in Shooting, Fighting, Driving, and either Investigation or Streetwise. I was using an online generator to make the characters, but it's a bit wonky and I may has screwed up the counts on a few of them.

I admit that one of my weaknesses as a player is that I love edges (or merits, or feats, or whatever a particular system calls them) too much and tend to make characters focused around them. It looks like I need scale them back a bit and focus on better base stats.

I very much welcome yours and anyone else's advice on making playable pregen characters. Hopefully the concepts behind each of these characters are also coming through, but if they aren't fun to play, or don't look interesting, then I should edit them a bit.

Thank you again for the help.

* (edit) PS: Veteran Monster Hunter has the "Hardboiled Special Investigator" edge which gives him 20xp to spend at character start, but also requires a card drawing to determine what bad experience the character had on a past case.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Afraid it'll take me another day to come up with some suggested adjustments as I take the Police Training setting rule into account.
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sitting Duck, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out on this. If you don't turn out to have time to update the pre-gens for Police Training, I'd happily accept what ever version you have, and try to do the updates myself.

Updates on my Progress
In other news, while I've been good about only using properly sourced artwork for the book, I hadn't realized the same was also true with fonts. I've spent a fairly crazy amount of time over the past few days tracking down open source or freeware fonts that will give the final version the right look and style without being hard to read on screen or print. That isn't easy.

I'm still working through finding a body font that has a typed-ish look without being a really annoying mono-space monstrosity. I'm checking both screen and sample prints.

Oh, and for those of you still following, the current draft is about 80 pages (depending on font) spread over 6 chapters, including the Pilot Episode starting adventure. It's being designed to work in both black and white and color, and I've got it formated for printing on Lulu or for sale as PDFs. It looks like I shouldn't have any trouble including three versions in a zip file for download. Full Color (like the Lulu version) and a printer friendly color and printer friendly black and white.

It's still likely months of polish away from being done, of course.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this going, BlackJaw?

Any informational updates?
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
How is this going, BlackJaw?

Any informational updates?

It's going ok.

I got the font thing worked out, and have gotten back to writing. The current page count is 86 pages. My target is to keep the book under 100 pages when it's done. The final version will look slightly like a typed document, somewhat like a police report. I did a number of test prints to get a body font that looks right and still is easy to read on both screen and in my test prints.
The heading fonts are "My Underwood" a free font based on old underwood typewriter characters.
The Body Font is "IndUni-N" which is GNU licensed variation on New Century Schoolbook.
Statblocks use "Liberation Serif" which is a free font somewhat like Times New Roman.
In character quotes are done in "Jr!hand," which is a freeware font that looks like a hand written notes, and I did a lot of digging around to find one that's easy to read.
For playing card symbols I've got "Card Characters," which is a free font intended for just such a use.

I should be able to embed all these fonts without breaking any license or use agreements. There are a handful of other fonts involved, but those are only being used in artwork and won't need to be embedded into the PDFs, thus making my life easier.

The layout is still mostly black text on white. The headings and fonts are actually in a slightly blue version, but will print fine in black and white. The Wild card symbols (a voodoo doll) are in a dark red that will also print well in black and white.

What I'm doing now
Right now I'm writing up the first draft of Chapter 5: Unusual Suspects. I've completed a small selection of "mortals" (civilian stats, a collection of criminals, a emergency responders like cops or paramedics, and spell casters ranging from pact-bound to hedge witches) and I'm now into Spirits & Monsters.

The last chapter in need of a full draft is Chapter 6: Pilot Episode. Right now it has a full framework in place for when I get to writing it. It's the last chapter, and needs to be fleshed out with a pair of investigation flow charts and more details, but the core concepts are there with plenty of notes.

Metaphysics
The monster section has required me to convert the metaphysics of the setting into game mechanics(ish.)

Most monsters are Spirits and are not properly native to the physical Mortal world. When they are summoned or crawl through a crack in the barrier, they arrive as ethereal entities. The "Astral wind" constantly drives them back through the veil between worlds, so the spirits have ways of anchoring themselves to the world.

One trick is possession. They enter a host body or object and can remain in the mortal world as long as the host object or person is intact. They often can control the host, and even use some supernatural abilities through the host. In most cases, possession entities must be summoned into a host directly, or quickly take a host if they come through a hole in the veil. If the host object is destroyed, or the host person killed, the spirit is cast out of the host and is quickly sent back through the veil. Some possession entities can jump hosts from one to another, while others remain locked into the host they took, or were forced into, when they entered or were summoned into the mortal world.

Another trick is to bond with an anchor. An anchor can be a person, place, or thing. As long as that anchor is intact, the entity may remain ethereal in the world. In fact, if the entity is ever destroyed/killed, it reforms 1d4 days later near it's anchor. Ghosts are a classic anchor entity, as are Muses.

Spirit Bodies are the last trick a spirit might have to remain in the world. A spirit body is made of spiritual matter, which some people might call ectoplasm, and is sustained by the spirit. It's what that 15 foot tall demon's red skill is actually made of, and why he leaves no corpse behind when killed. Spirit bodies, when destroyed, send the spirit back through the veil. Spirit bodies also need to be sustained. Most spirits that can form them need to feed on something to maintain their forms in the mortal world. Demons, for example, tend to prefer meat. A demonic hound will eat just about any meat, but a Horned Lords can get picky. One horned lord might only dine on marrow, another on human eyes, or maybe only the blood of virgins. As another example; Fey creatures prefer cream, honey, wine, and bread.

Most spirits have one method of remaining in the world, but a few have more than one. For example: all Horned Lord demons can form a spirit body, but a few can also possess targets.

Do note that ghosts and nature spirits are from the mortal world, but can not remain here if separated from a host. People are composed of a body, a soul/spirit/ghost, and a spark of life. Nature Spirits are less defined, as how do you explain a boulder or mountain having a minor spirit but no real life spark.

The Monsters
Here are the monsters thus far planned, and in some cases written. They don't include the mortals or spell-casters, like wolf-bonded humans that can turn into wolves.

Demonic Hounds: bear sized monsters with fiery breath. They have animal only intelligence and are often given to demon-summoners as servants.

Horned Lord Demons are your classic horned devil type foes. They come with a selection of abilities to choose from. They tend to offer pacts in exchange for human souls. Pacts are bound by magical contract, the destruction of which can end the contract's effects.
Note: Chapter 4's random case generator includes an example drawing of a case that involves a horned lord.

Siren Demons are feminine spirits able to take on attractive human-like forms. They can control a foe whose name they known by singing to them, and are more effective at it if they have kissed the target. Like horned lords, they offer pacts to mortals in exchange for souls.

Boogeymen are dangerous fey spirits. Like all fey, they seek to steal small children, seeing them as a source for the spark of life (which is strongest in the young, as it wanes through age or sickness.) They are also easily bound by words. They can take or receive nothing without a bargain. Boogeymen tend to lurk around homes listening for a parent to say something like "Eat all your greens or a monster will take you away." They follow through on such "deals." Boogeymen are rendered invisible by light, and are very sneaky. They are the classic monster in the closet or under the bed. Much like the story of Rumpelstiltskin, a boogeyman can be repelled by reciting it's name.

Changelings are related to fey. Powerful fey spirits have been known to take a human child and leave a transformed animal in the child's appearance. These unfortunates grow to about puberty (which can be a lot faster if the base animal's life span was short) before they realize they aren't humans. The strong emotions of puberty can twist the spell, causing them to revert, or partially revert, to animal life forms. Eventually the magic breaks, and they become their natural, non-human form... but they can get very confused and angry before that's done.
Note: Chapter 4's discussion of investigation flow charts includes an example investigation centering on a Changeling mistaken for a werewolf.

Abominations are similar spirit bound, (mortals with an animal spirit bonded to them so they may take on animal forms for a time) but they use an "abomination" of the ritual to bind a nature spirit to them instead of bonding the. The nature spirit is unwilling, and the resulting combination is unbalanced: as is the transformation. Abominations take on half-animal half-human forms when the change, and the rage of the spirit bleeds through into their actions. Wolf-Abominations are a lot like the popular depiction of a werewolf. Bird-Abominations are effectively harpies. Both will be in the book.

Lycanthropes, unlike Spirit Bonded or Abominations, are not willing hosts to a nature spirit. They are people under the influence of a very powerful curse. At night when the moon is at, or near full, they are overcome by a powerful spirit and transform against their will. The spirit they are bound to is a disease spirit associated with rabies. They take on a half-human half-beast (generally canine like) and become maddened and aggressive. During the transformation they are also a source for real rabies infections, but lycanthrope proper is only brought on by a magical curse or considerable power, such as a powerful spellcaster completing a difficult ritual, or a witch's death curse.

Ghosts are the spirits of the dead. They are ethereal and anchored to the world through either an object, place, or person. Most ghosts can not change their anchor, but they can give it up if convinced they can move on. They can manifest, becoming slightly visible and able to manipulate objects using Spirit in place of strength, but still just as hard to harm themselves. Ghost powers can be very variable beyond that. Ghosts may also have the possession power, for example.

Revenants are a different form of undead. Essentially a ghosts trapped in a corpse (usually their own) they can pass for being alive, but are very hard to kill, and are almost always driven by vengeance.

Muses are a weak form of spirit from just beyond the veil. They are essentially composed of a single overwhelming emotion, like love, hate, lust, despair, etc. In the mortal world they anchor themselves to a person feeling the related emotion, and ethereally follow them around, sustaining the emotion and spreading it to others in the area. A Rage Muse might follow around an angry young man, but riots and fights will break out in his wake. Muses can appear visible to their host or those they influence, and might be mistaken for an "invisible friend." Some spellcasters can bind Muses to objects related to their emotion (vanity in a mirror, anger in a weapon) although the muse can still influence the emotions around them.

A muse of hunger bound into a corpse is actually one way of making a zombie. The muse, being a weak minded spirit with little sense of self, can be easy to control if properly bound, but the resulting servant creature isn't very quick or smart, and if left uncontrolled will attempt to eat animals or people.

Boatmen are a strange form of creature, thought to be a mortal empowered by a spirit. They are psychopomps that guide the dead from the mortal world into the spirit world. The idea is that when a person dies, but their spirit has trouble letting go, a Boatman (can be a woman) helps to guide them. Sometimes, when a person dies before they are willing to move on, the boatman might offer them to take on the role of the boatman. They pass along the power and responsibility, and move on themselves. For a time, possibly centuries, a boatman assist in an area (say a city sized area) until they too are ready to pass on the burden. Boatman are supposed to neutral in their dealings with the spirit world, or at least that is the tradition set down since before recorded time. Rogue boatmen might be called Repears, and may face the wrath of their neutral brethren, if caught. Boatmen have the ability to predict death, and that ability is enhanced in their assigned territory. They also have a host of other abilities I haven't thought through yet, but the most obvious is that it's very hard to killed an agent of death.

I'm also considering including a listing or hint about Leviathan. Essentially a massive nature spirit that lies slumbering in the Atlantic at the bottom of the Peurto Rico Trench. Its fitful dreams causes hurricanes. A sort of a cross between David Brin's Whale Dream and H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu with a dash of old school Hebrew Bible.

After the Draft is Written
Once the first draft is finished, I intend to start working on artwork. I have a large collection of Creative Commons 2.0 work to start with. Artwork inside the book will be Photoshop edited photos designed to look like polaroid camera shots, complete with little scrawled notes. The objective is for them to look like case file notes.

In Other News
I moved a few months ago, and I finally was able to find work. My full time day job will slow my writing, but I've got the next two days off and I intend to make use of them.

Now I just need to find a gaming group willing to do a bit of play testing.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I should have those revisions of your archetypes I said I would do posted by tomorrow. Would have done it sooner, but random distractions kept popping up.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here they are. I've gone over them multiple times and they should add up.

Brilliant Detective
Solving cases comes easy to you... facts and evidence fit together like lovely puzzle pieces. Unfortunately people are less straightforward.
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Driving d6, Fighting d6, Investigation d10+2, Notice d8 (+2 Clues), Repair d6, Shooting d6, Streetwise d8+2
Charisma: -1 Pace: 6 Parry: 5 Toughness: 7/9 (2/4)
Hindrances: Bad Eyes (minor), Curious, Habit (minor, Holmesian expounder)
Edges: Investigator

Burned-Out Lieutenant
You've been with the department for close to 30 years. With your seniority there was no way the union was going to let them promote some new kid ahead of you this time. You just wish they hadn't made you Lieutenant of this unit of misfit cops.
Skills: Driving d6, Fighting d6, Gambling d6, Intimidation d6, Investigation d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d6, Shooting d6, Streetwise d6, Taunt d6
Charisma: -1 Pace: 5 Parry: 5 Toughness: 8/10 (2/4)
Hindrances: Bad Luck, Habit (minor, cigarettes), Obese
Edges: Command, Lieutenant Rank

Dirty Cop
So what if you took a bribe here or there? Everyone in arson was on the take to some extent, and it's not like anyone other than insurance companies were getting hurt.
Skills: Driving d6, Fighting d4, Intimidation d6, Notice d6, Persuasion d8, Shooting d6, Streetwise d8, Taunt d8
Charisma: 0 Pace: 6 Parry: 4 Toughness: 7/9 (2/4)
Hindrances: Crooked Cop (minor), Greedy (minor), Yellow
Edges: Connections (Criminals), Rich

Former Delinquent
You came up through these streets. As an adult, you've arrested kids for the crimes you yourself committed when you were their age. You understand the streets, and you still know some people that run them.
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Climbing d6+2, Driving d4, Fighting d6, Gambling d4, Intimidation d6, Lockpicking d6+2, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Stealth d8+2, Streetwise d6
Charisma: 0 Pace: 6 Parry: 5 Toughness: 7/9 (2/4)
Hindrances: Bad Luck, Cautious, Loyal
Edges: Connections (Crime), Thief

Gulf War Vet
You did at least one tour of duty in the Gulf War between 1990 and 1991, and then returned to become a cop or rejoin the Police Department. Maybe you got Gulf War Syndrome, maybe you aren't the same as you were before the war. Maybe you were always just a jerk. Whatever the reason, you got transferred to SI.
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d8, Healing d4, Intimidation d6, Notice d6, Shooting d10, Streetwise d6, Knowledge (Explosives) d6
Charisma: -2 Pace: 6 Parry: 6 Toughness: 8/10 (2/4)
Hindrances: Death Wish, Habit (major, morphine), Mean
Edges: Nerves of Steel

Hot Shot Cop
You've got more citations for bravery than the rest of your old unit combined, but when another of your partners ended up in the hospital trying to keep up with you, no one else would step up. Combined with your extensive record of property damage, it was all the brass needed to transfer you to SI.
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Driving d6, Fighting d10, Notice d6, Shooting d8, Stealth d8, Streetwise d6, Taunt d6
Charisma: 0 Pace: 6 Parry: 7 Toughness: 7/9 (2/4)
Hindrances: Loyal, Overconfident, Stubborn
Edges: Brave, Luck

Mr./Ms. Spin
When you get a suspect in the box, they are done for. Your silver tongue brakes more cases than you can count, and at times it seems like there is nothing you can't talk your way out of. That didn't prove true when you discovered your latest girlfriend was the captain's daughter. You're lucky you were only transferred to SI instead of walking a beat or writing tickets.
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d6, Intimidation d8, Notice d6, Persuasion d10 (+2 Spin), Shooting d4, Streetwise d6, Taunt d8
Charisma: +2 Pace: 6 Parry: 5 Toughness: 7/9 (2/4)
Hindrances: Enemy (minor, brass), Overconfident, Quirk (ladies man)
Edges: Charismatic, Spin Doctor

Officer Tough-guy/Tough-gal
You know only one way of working crime: the 9th Ward Way. You take to the streets and the corner boys go running. Is it really your fault that little punk couldn't take his beating like a real man?
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d8
Skills: Climbing d6, Driving d6, Fighting d10, Intimidation d8, Notice d4, Shooting d4, Streetwise d6
Charisma: -2 Pace: 6 Parry: 7 Toughness: 9/11 (2/4)
Hindrances: Enemy (minor, random punks), Mean, Vengeful (major)
Edges: Brawler, Brawny

Swamp Cop
You were raised on the Bayou before moving to the city and becoming a cop. You're familiar with the traditional tales of voodoo, and might even be a minor adherent to the religion yourself. Is it any wonder you got transferred to SI?
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Boating d6, Driving d4, Fighting d4, Investigation d6, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Stealth d6, Survival d8+2, Swimming d4, Tracking d8+2, Knowledge (Occult) d6
Charisma: -2 Pace: 6 Parry: 4 Toughness: 6/8 (2/4)
Hindrances: All Thumbs, Outsider (Swamp folk), Small
Edges: Woodsman

True Believer
One night on a case you saw something impossible. You got curious, and the more you looked the more your fellow officers whispered about you. You heard the rumors about SI, and jumped at a chance to join the unit and learn the truth about what goes bump in the night.
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d4, Investigation d8, Notice d6, Persuasion d4, Repair d4, Shooting d6, Streetwise d8, Tracking d4, Knowledge (Occult) d8+2, Knowledge (Religion) d8+2
Charisma: -2 Pace: 8 Parry: 4 Toughness: 7/9 (2/4)
Hindrances: Curious, Outsider, Quirk (gullible)
Edges: Fleet-Footed, Scholar (Occult, Religion)

Veteran Monster Hunter
This isn't your first rodeo. You ended up on the SI Nightshift years ago, penalty for your sins as a young hot shot cop, and now you spend your nights battling the monsters and witches, and hoping the nightmares from the case that went wrong won't keep you awake.
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d8, Healing d6, Notice d6, Persuasion d6, Repair d8, Shooting d8, Streetwise d4, Tracking d4, Knowledge (Occult) d8
Charisma: 0 Pace: 6 Parry: 6 Toughness: 7/9 (2/4)
Hindrances: Cautious, Heroic, Quirk (superstitious)
Edges: Brave, Combat Reflexes, Hardboiled Special Investigator
Note: Draw cards for Hardboiled Special Investigator see p. 10.
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
And here they are. I've gone over them multiple times and they should add up.

Awesome job; these look fantastic.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. I might tweak them only very slightly to swap out a few hindrances for the new ones in the book, but you really nailed the concept behind each archetype because everything just fits right.

Thank you again!
sirdrasco
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks awesome! Would love to try this out with my group, I might what a way.

Hey were playing cops today. Oh by the way you all got transfered to SI, somebody must have been on the take, dated the cheifs daughter and so on.

Oh, Cr@p our careers ruined! What is that, Oh Cr@p our lives in danger! Oh Cr@p and we saved the Mayor but who will ever believe us.

Love the Flavor of it Starsky and Hutch vs Cuthullu. LOL

Love the favor rule by the way. Keep it up! Just need to condense it down to a single file.
"Blast I hate squid for dinner."
"But the cook has a new recipe.."
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirdrasco wrote:
Love the Flavor of it Starsky and Hutch vs Cuthullu. LOL

Collin Terrell has actually done Cthulhu Vice as a fan setting.

I'm aiming for something more like The Wire meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, although the distinction is splitting hairs.

Status Update:
I'm most of the way through the monster section, and current page count is about 90 pages. I'm cutting Fey Nobles and Boatmen from the book so I can keep it's page count down, but once I get a website up, I'll put them there.

I've also realized I haven't got anything covering magic items in the book. This isn't a dungeon crawler so magic items are very rare, and generally dangerous. I should add a half page or so on that, maybe with an example.

I'm not far from completing a first, somewhat disorganized, draft. I need to write up some undead and then flesh out the Pilot Episode framework.

Other Musings:
I'm wondering if I shouldn't rethink the way I'm doing monsters. Right now they are essentially a list of monster stats like you commonly see in game books. I'm wondering if I should be just including categories of creatures with instructions on making them to needs, like what you add to basic goblin stats to make them into a boogeyman. Or maybe I should build a list of basic generic stats with instructions on how to make monsters out of them to fit story needs.

SINS monsters are uncommon, maybe one or a small group per episode, so most monsters are Wild Cards. They often require special research to defeat, or at least identify from common human suspects, and that's made more difficult by not knowing what you're dealing with when things start. Lots of monsters might stalk homeless men for food, so you have to dig deeper to find out if it's a demonic hound, werewolf, changeling, or something else entirely. That means I've largely been reinventing the wheel on monsters. Werewolves, goblins, and ghosts as written in the core rules don't work this way. They are strait-forward monsters intended for use in dungeons or similar, and so I've been rewriting a lot of them.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked on a conversion for Supernatural, something I ended up using was the Monster Die. In essense, monsters that weren't specifically Wild Cards still got a Wild Die so that they could be reasonaby competent while reflecting how they were one shot kills when you attacked with their weakness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: