Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games and Gears kickstarter brushes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeetsInTaverns
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Games and Gears kickstarter brushes Reply with quote

Don't know if this has been posted about, but for those who like to paint I thought this might be of interest. Awesome deal. I am looking forward to doing a bunch of Ice goblins for Hellfrost with them.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/554355176/games-and-gears-pro-studio-brushes
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I'd a known about it a couple weeks ago, now I got nothin' 'till the first of the month...

Thanks for the tip, though! Very Happy

SteveN
MeetsInTaverns
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only afford it on the good grace of my wife...

Damn kickstarters!

Still, it seems such a very good deal - it is a shame their gaming terrain didn't get funded, that also looked very nice.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've never managed to catch one of these kickstarters, bad timing and such, So when you sign up, is it a pledge? Or do you pay immediately? Do you pay at the time the kickstarter wraps up or are you called upon later?

SteveN
MeetsInTaverns
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can remember, as soon as it it is over you get charged your pledge amount via amazon payments. Of course, if it doesn't get funded you pay nothing.
greyseerco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more detail to pledging.

When you pledge, you first select a pledge level that interests you (these are listed on the right side). Click that, and then you enter how much you want to pay, with the minimum being what the pledge level requires.

you then sign into Amazon payments (the behind the scenes collector of funds). This just puts a place holder with Amazon on the maximum they will collect from you.

No money is charged to you until the KS ends.

At the time the KS ends, should it be funded, your credit card that is registered with Amazon gets charged. If the project is not funded, no charge.

Here is where it gets interesting, many KS (Interface Zero being a great example) introduce optional "add-ons" like print copies of certain books, more dice, etc. You can keep your current pledge level and still add money to your pledge above and beyond what the level requires to pay for these "add-ons."

Example: The Rover level for IZ2.0 is $35 and you get an explorers edition sized copy of the setting, plus as they have been unlocking new materials you are getting PDF copies of them. But let's say you wanted to add those cool looking cards to your pledge, you would click on your pledge and increase the amount you are pledging to $45 (the cards are a $10 extra), but still keep your pledge level as Rover.

When the KS ends in the above example, you will be charged $45, then it is up to the KS project people to send out a survey to find out what you wanted to do with that extra money you pledged (typically sent a month later as there is about a 14 day delay before Amazon gives the payment to the project and then most KS projects take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to get their survey set up correctly).

Another trickery that KS has is they can limit the number of people who pledge at a certain level. Because once a KS sets up a Pledge level they cannot take it back, but they can suddenly put a cap on it. So really read over what each level gets and if you can't pledge as high as you want at the time, but might do so in the future, you can always change your pledge level up or down the scale.

Lastly, you can always cancel a pledge. I have backed projects because I wanted to see what was being said in the "Backers" only posts (these are like sneak peak posts that only those who back the project can see). Only to see that I didn't want to stick with the project and cancelled out. I backed Ouya that way and decided it was not for me. No harm, no foul.

My Advice, if you get into KS heavily, is to create a spreadsheet to track not only what you back and what level you get it at, but also what add-ons you want to buy. Nothing hurts more than forgetting something and under-pledging and thus not getting it. This happened to me when Reaper was doing their Bones KS, and when the dust had settled I thought I had pledged enough for all the cool things I wanted and found that in the end I was $5 short for one item. So I had to deal with the Reaper website's KS support to get that add-on. Tis better to bid at a proper level than to deal with the email between a backer and the producer.

Another thing, please understand KS is not a store, nor is it the place to pre-order something. It is a place where you pledge to give someone support for a project. All that person is promising is to give you something when the project completes. They only can provide an estimate for when it is done, not a guarantee. I have yet to have a KS project ship on time...ever. Mainly because most people are doing whatever they are doing for the first time. Some are cursed by their own success, instead of printing 1000 of an item they have to print 10000, and its a whole new scale of madness. Other times the postal service raises rates and the KS project is now loosing money due to overseas shipping.
But the most common story is they have another life, a job, and this KS is a dream that is desired to be made real and they have no idea what they are getting into, and when those other aspects creep in you will see cries for refund!, but in reality as long as you have a project that at least updates 1/month you are better off than many projects.

Lastly, if you really are on the fence on a project and you are not sure if it is worth your time, I use Kicktraq dot com to see if there is any chance of a project making it's minimal funding. Understand Kicktraq is not 100% accurate, it does not count on the fact that most projects fund right at the beginning and then spike at the end. But if you are thinking about how much to kick in for "extras" that are funding level dependent, you might want to use it to get a rough gauge of how much extra funding you need.

An example of the above: Morrow Project 4th Ed was in its last day shooting for a goal of one more add on should the project reach $X. Kicktraq showed is it was highly likely that it would be reached. So I threw in $15 for that last "add-on" in the hopes that the target would be reached.

Another exampled was with the HoE Miniatures KS. There was a sliding scale stretch goal that all miniatures would be included if the project reached $50,000. Kicktraq put that outside of the margin it was projecting. But I took faith and went for it anyway and backed with anticipation of getting that target. It was a last second finale that the goal was reached. Lucky I guess.

Anyway I am sure this is more than you wanted but I thought I would share my thoughts of being a KS regular.

Hope that helps.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Yeah, it pretty much means I can't afford it. It'll be over before the first of the month.

SteveN
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyseerco wrote:

My Advice, if you get into KS heavily, is to create a spreadsheet to track not only what you back and what level you get it at, but also what add-ons you want to buy.

Excellent advice!! I have backed several kickstarts where it would have been a real mess had I not done a spreadsheet for the extras I put in money for, at the time when I pledged money.

Regarding this specific Kickstart ... I'm not sure I like the idea of a bush at both ends of the handle. Anyone use a brush like this before? And if so, what did you think of it?
Crudeboy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Mike wrote:

Regarding this specific Kickstart ... I'm not sure I like the idea of a bush at both ends of the handle. Anyone use a brush like this before? And if so, what did you think of it?

I haven't used one, but it seems like their biggest benefit would be in two-brush blending, and to a lesser extent things like painting metallics, varnishing and such. Basically, any situation where you would likely be hurriedly swapping out brushes clamped between your teeth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: