Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bursts! Bursts! Bursts!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Bursts! Bursts! Bursts! Reply with quote

I'm sticking this over in conversions since this is has a little bit of Shadowrun to it, but there are a couple generally useful questions I wanted to ask the group regarding handling some permutations of burst fire for special weapons.

1) So there's the three round burst and then there's the three round burst. By the latter case I mean something like the G11 or the two round burst in the AN94 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN-94) where the weapon literally switches to a higher cyclic rate operation and puts out rounds fast enough to (supposedly) hit the same spot on the target. So how to handle this? I have a couple ideas: either as a three-round burst, but with no bonus to hit but an extra die of damage, or possibly as a two Shooting die attack with no recoil penalty. One's probably more accurate if you believe the hype, but two might be more like it realistically.

2) There's a class of weapon in Shadowrun called the supermachinegun, which has a higher rate of fire and notably fires six round bursts rather than three. It probably doesn't fire fast enough to justify more than an RoF 4, but the six-round burst is a bit more difficult to model. I think either of the options for the bursts above might work, but I'd been considering both a +2 to hit and an extra die of damage. Could be overpowered, though.

3) More of a generic pricing question, but I could see a weird scientist (or a cyborg using similar rules) desiring a weapon with double-tap or 3RB capability. In terms of power point cost, how much would a 3RB cost? I'm tempted to think it's about equivalent to shooting an extra bolt (since there are no recoil modifiers). Does that sound more or less right?
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some military settings (especially the modern ops book) use bonus and burst templates for weapons with high rate of fire. For example your supermachinegun could simply have +2 on shooting and damage.
The normal 3 rd burst could be a +4 on shooting/damage because its really a 6rd-burst.
Other weapons have a even higher rate of fire and attack anything under a small burst template (with +x shooting/damage).

You have to choose the exact bonus. In modern ops it get as high as +6 dam/shoot and a SBT or MBT for Twin Miniguns. Smile

Weird War has similiar rules for linked weapons, each linked weapons give +1 on dam/shoot, but limited to +3

Necropolis works somewhat differently, there linked weapons give +1 an shooting and an additional die.
So shooting a twin Minigun would be +1 on shooting and damage 3d8+1 (instead 2d8+1).
In Necropolis some weapon with high rate of fire gives a spirit penalty of -1 to resist supressing fire.

As you could see there are different ways to do things. Smile
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Those weapons are designed to have no recoil during the burst, making it even more accurate (hence the "all bullets in the same spot" claim). I'd probably just give it an additional +1 attack / damage when using the option - a reward for being optimized for a particular use.

2) For a 6RB, +2 Shooting and +1 die of damage should be nasty enough to make the weapons desirable despite the other drawbacks.

3) Using the DL:R personal gatling weapons as a model - a Weird Science gun would call its power points Ammunition, and follow the normal ammunition rules. This trades the limitations of power points for the limitations of having to acquire ammunition (bullets or energy cells).
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ValhallaGH"]1) Those weapons are designed to have no recoil during the burst, making it even more accurate (hence the "all bullets in the same spot" claim). I'd probably just give it an additional +1 attack / damage when using the option - a reward for being optimized for a particular use. [quote]

Interesting point; in operation I suppose they don't have as much spread (probably not to the point of the same point of impact though), so the bonus to hit is probably still justified. +2/+2 for an AN-94 and +3/+3 for a G11 type weapon seems justified, especially since the G11 is probably Rof 2 at most.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: