Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kidnapping the Princess

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Kidnapping the Princess Reply with quote

So my Dragon needs to do some dragon like activites. I suggested he go and Kidnap a princess to build his rep as a mighty dragon. Any idea how to make that an adventure? I need plot twists to keep a dragon on his toes.
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the dragon an NPC or a player?
Why does the dragon want the princess? Is it for food, polite company, a forced marriage with a baron that owes his allegiance to the dragon?
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once ran an adventure where the party were hired by the mayor to rescue his innocent young daughter. She'd been kidnapped by an evil necromancer, who had apparently been terrorising the town with his undead experiments. When party reached the necromancer's tower, they saw the daughter fleeing the scene - she fell sobbing into characters' arms, begging them to take her home before the necromancer discovered she'd escaped. The party insisted on dealing with the necromancer first, however, no matter how much she begged them not to, and they told her to stay hidden while they disposed of him.

When they got past the defences (magical constructs) and explored the tower, they realised the "necromancer" was actually a scholarly artificer, with no hint of any necromantic abilities at all. From the state of his corpse, it was clear he'd been seduced, then tortured to death, then further interrogated with necromantic spells. Someone had then gone through his belongings, clearly looking for something.

By the time they left the tower, the girl had vanished. They tracked her back to the town, where the guards were waiting to deal with the "evil adventurers" who had tried to assault the mayor's daughter.

Plot twists on stereotypical story hooks can be fun, and you don't get much more traditional than the dragon kidnapping the princess. So what could be the twist? Perhaps, like in my example, she's the "bad guy" - maybe the king wants to marry her off as a favour to some nobleman, and now she wants to manipulate the dragon into killing her father so that she can claim the crown for herself?

So the dragon kidnaps the princess, who cowers in fear at his magnificence, and compliments him on the size of his treasure hoard...although she can't help noticing that her father has more treasure than the dragon. But she assures the dragon that his treasure hoard is also impressive, even though it's smaller...
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Princess" ain't the Princess, she's...

A. A stand-in or decoy that won't particularly be missed, but comes from a long line of dragon-slayers and is quite knowledgable in the art.

B. An assassin in disguise, sent to kill the real princess. Might be willing to work with the dragon, but the dragon may have to sleep with one eye open.

C. A master thief in disguise (or just trying on her clothes Wink ), while looting the princess' room, carriage, etc. Perfectly willing to loot the dragon's hoard as well.

D. The princess' bodyguard in disguise.

Extra points if you cast the character as an insufferable, shrewish woman, or an ugly bearded man in drag.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dragon does fantasy equivalent of inter net cyber stalking the princess, he has been romancing her via crystal ball and when she goes to meet "the mysterious prince" at the coffee casba she goes missing

Last edited by VonDan on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinzent wrote:
Why does the dragon want the princess? Is it for food, polite company, a forced marriage with a baron that owes his allegiance to the dragon?

The Dragon is a PLAYER CHARACTER in direct competition with other Dragons for territory. Kidnapping the Princess will build his rep and possibly gain him more territory. I doubt he will eat her.
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, hell. Forgot option...

E. The princess' pauper paramour, dressed as a handmaiden, hoping to dodge the palace guards for a midnight tryst. He's a whiny crybaby, and will annoy the dragon to no end. The dragon may try to ransom him back to the real princess. No one else cares.

VonDan wrote:
The dragon does fantasy equivalent of inter net cyber stalking the princess, he has been romancing her via crystal ball and when she goes to meet "the mysterious prince" at the coffee casba she goes missing

Hey, that's pretty good. Take one of my suggestions above, let them intercept the message, and turn it into an episode of "To Catch a Predator" Surprised
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuraicrab wrote:
Vinzent wrote:

The Dragon is a PLAYER CHARACTER in direct competition with other Dragons for territory. Kidnapping the Princess will build his rep and possibly gain him more territory. I doubt he will eat her.

Still not quite sure how that will work. He may gain some notoriety for kidnapping a princess, but he'd gain more by taking out a worthy target like Sir Reginald the Dragon Hunter.

Will the dragon be ransoming the princess or holding it hostage to ensure the kingdom is under his control? Is this princess important to any of the other dragons so that he might hold her ransom against them?

If you want to run it as a simple snatch and grab adventure, you need to focus on what obstacles are between the dragon and the princess.
Is the castle unassailable? The dragon might have to come up with a cunning plan to get at her.
Has the lord been forewarned by one of the rival dragons? If so, he may have hired every dragon slayer in the region to lay in wait/ambush/ and defend.
How is the dragon going to take possession of the princess in the midst of combat. After all she is just a squishy human. Keeping her alive while making an escape sounds like a great complication.
Are other dragons waiting in ambush to take the princess once the PC dragon has done all the hard work?
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The princess secretly write a letter(?) to the dragons where she ask to be kidnapped. There are some strong evil forces that make it necesarry.
Later the dragons have to fight against the veil forces to help the princess.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Kidnapping the Princess Reply with quote

samuraicrab wrote:
So my Dragon needs to do some dragon like activites. I suggested he go and Kidnap a princess to build his rep as a mighty dragon. Any idea how to make that an adventure? I need plot twists to keep a dragon on his toes.

Some other dragon wants to kidnap the same princess for similar reasons. Twisted Evil
Mighty adventurers interfere during the snatch and grab.
Ballistae and catapults. Very Happy
The princess's innocent pet is enchanted to be a mighty bodyguard. Suddenly the chihuahua turns into gojira. Laughing
He has to choose between the princess and a giant pile of treasure.
While he's out, some damned midget steals from his hoard.

Subsequent twists:
The father is actually glad to be rid of the horrid brat.
The Princess doesn't want to be rescued. She thinks the dragon is awesome and wants to be his "captive" forever.
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinzent wrote:
Still not quite sure how that will work. He may gain some notoriety for kidnapping a princess, but he'd gain more by taking out a worthy target like Sir Reginald the Dragon Hunter.

Well yes, but what better way to attract a Dragon Hunter than to act like a dragon? Make him come to rescue the princess, have home-field advantage and all that....add his shield to the trophy room Very Happy

Become a fan on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Silvergryphongames

Current WIP: Wellstone City Chronicles, Puppets, and One-liners
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52032&date=1343956041

There is a link to my game on rpol.net Sadly I only have one dragon pc and want more. I am toying with the idea of making the princess a dragon as well. Thank you for your feed back you got the creativity gears going. Feel free to add more.
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the Princess a DRAGON in her own right and now the PCs must compete to be her suitor. Muwhahaha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: