Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Germs! As in a germ of an idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Germs! As in a germ of an idea. Reply with quote

I was the passenger today on a fairly long road trip. Between stops and when we weren't talking I was ruminating on a new campaign setting/idea.

Here's the game. I'll summarise my 'Germ' and you chime in with your own (hopefully drastically different) idea.

A near-miss by the tail of a rogue interstellar comet causes a beautiful light show. Within a few days many begin suffering flu-like symptoms and a micro-organism never seen before begins eating copper throughout the world. Between the world-wide pandemic and the failing of technology causing society to collapse the sight of the dead rising is almost inconsequential.

70% mortality by the virus is just icing on the cake. The dead are attracted to the living but not to eat them. They just get excited and in their excitement will begin to frenzy (like a mosh-pit on adrenalin and 'roid-rage) which will inevitably lead to the living dying. The biting or clawing of the living is purely incidental as the dead do not eat.

You are a member of a survivalist group that has been compromised and you need to relocate/regroup somewhere else.

Your turn! Smile Smile Smile
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Enno
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a typical illness-induced Zombie-Survival-Setting.

Do you know Silver Gryphons Zombacalypse for Savage Worlds?
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of Day of the Triffids or Night of the Comet.

SteveN
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:

Oh I know that it's not rocket-science or a huge stretch from established the Zombie-genre although I thought the copper-eating organism was a nice touch.

Think of the millions of bullet casings around the world that would begin to corrode as the copper in the brass would be eaten away! That is a hell of a twist ...

Until they retool to use aluminum or some other metal they'd be pooched .... and without tech they'd have to mass-produce it using steam or water-power. Losing tech is a pretty big one!
Supernatural Quotes
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Reminds me of Day of the Triffids or Night of the Comet.
SteveN

I've not seen that, well either of them. Hmmmm?
Supernatural Quotes
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night of the Comet is basically the setting you described, except that it's an 80's era horror comedy.

The Earth passes through the tail of a mysterious comet. People exposed directly vaporize into red dust. People partially affected become cannibal zombies. People completely protected (like by being inside a space with no windows) remain normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Comet
TTM
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping to read about a setting where you play germs or bodily defenses, sort of a Low Life meets Fantastic Voyage.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Savage World of Osmosis Jones! Mr. Green
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Germ-o-rama Reply with quote

So back to the premise of this thread!

More germs please! Cool Cool Cool
Supernatural Quotes
Enno
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takeda wrote:
Enno wrote:

Oh I know that it's not rocket-science or a huge stretch from established the Zombie-genre although I thought the copper-eating organism was a nice touch.

Think of the millions of bullet casings around the world that would begin to corrode as the copper in the brass would be eaten away! That is a hell of a twist ...

Until they retool to use aluminum or some other metal they'd be pooched .... and without tech they'd have to mass-produce it using steam or water-power. Losing tech is a pretty big one!

Don't think so. First, there is caseless ammunition, there are other ranged weapons and second, substituting brass with iron, ceramics or other materials takes not as long as you might think, as some companies already produce such stuff.

There is a field these germs will have MUCH bigger impact on: electronics. Without copper our whole infrastructure will collapse, and will fall back to the beginning of the 20th century, before transistors and even the light bulb where invented.

Another impact would be our metabolism, as it is an important trace element found in human muscles, bones, and liver. Every higher animal and plant organism needs it to survive. Then there is its fungicide and bacteriostatic properties. Without enough copper fungal parasites, infects and bacterial illnesses will rise considerably.
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper Huh..An interesting take. You could always have the copper zombies produce eletro-static discharges as they enter their rage state

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my "elevator pitch," as it were.

The players are a team of heroes in a very 4 color comic book universe. On the cusp of a great victory they are snatched from the world and returned 50 years later to find that right at the moment they were snatched Meteors crashed into the planet. Dozens of them. Some wiped out whole cities, others wrecked the ecosystem. In the ensuing chaos the Supervillains won the war as they exterminated the over-worked and eventually exhausted heroes. The PCs are sent back to be the one hope in the Wasteland.

For a name...Last Hope might be too easy and a touch maudlin for the tone. Titles were honestly never my strong suit.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forlorn Hope.
Those were the first guys sent into the breach (as in "once more into...") made in the wall of a beseiged fortress. There were seldom any survivors.

SteveN
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Another Germ Reply with quote

You are a bunch of high school seniors goofing around in a park late at night, they experience a loss of time and when they wake up they're all wearing a high-tech bio-mechanical bracelet that gives them minor Super Powers. Say Street-Level power. Their favourite teacher is their springboard for ideas of what to do with their power ... posed to the mentor as a theoretical idea or 'thought experiment'.

Set it in a Big City[TM] with the usual crime and high-school strife and you're on!
Supernatural Quotes
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Another Germ Reply with quote

You live in a rural area in a 3rd-rate kingdom in a quiet backwater continent. One day a beautiful carriage is drawn into town. A crier is sent around demanding that all young men and women attend a presentation in the village square. A lordly-looking man takes to a hastily built stage where he announces that there was a royal contest. Everyone is marched up onto stage one-by-one.

5-people are singled out. They are hustled out of town under guard. It turns out that these youngsters match the subject of a prophesy from long-ago.

They are taken to a monastery where they are taught how to live up to their prophesied potential.

"Destiny Awaits!"

The twist is that it's all a contest ... Sort like a Reality Show. There could be a little 'sponsor' input ala Hunger Games.
Supernatural Quotes
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Germ Reply with quote

Takeda wrote:
You live in a rural area in a 3rd-rate kingdom in a quiet backwater continent. One day a beautiful carriage is drawn into town. A crier is sent around demanding that all young men and women attend a presentation in the village square. A lordly-looking man takes to a hastily built stage where he announces that there was a royal contest. Everyone is marched up onto stage one-by-one.

5-people are singled out. They are hustled out of town under guard. It turns out that these youngsters match the subject of a prophesy from long-ago.

They are taken to a monastery where they are taught how to live up to their prophesied potential.

"Destiny Awaits!"

The twist is that it's all a contest ... Sort like a Reality Show. There could be a little 'sponsor' input ala Hunger Games.

The town is called Hamlin and the announcer is in a green and yellow Pied outfit and plays a flute

And the heroes are the deaf girl and the blind boy
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Germ-o-rama Reply with quote

Takeda wrote:
So back to the premise of this thread!

More germs please! Cool Cool Cool

Here's one that just popped into my head one day:

"It turns out, there is a God... and you are His ninja."

-- 77IM
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: So I have a final draft! Reply with quote

It's evolved in my head ...

The end came suddenly Ö like it was written and directed this way by Hollywood. Climate Change, Global Warming, whatever you called it things were changing, getting hotter, getting worse. The planet descended into a cataclysmic drought in most places and in some it was incessant torrential downpours. A disease of unknown origin did the rest. Within a few years most of the people on planet Earth were dead and gone. Those few that survived were changed by the experience.

North America was almost exclusively a desert. Only the formerly arctic climes still supported bountiful life Ö if you mean plant and animal life at least. The disease was called ĎSleepí because it progressively put those affected into a deep sleep from which they would never awake. Most died when they couldnít eat or drink for themselves Ö but at least it seemed painless.

You were a member of a survivalist group that had a bunker built in the Highlands. It was designed to house 12-people for 6-months but things didnít go according to plan. Soon after you arrived at the bunker when the call to assemble was made it was obvious that things were not going as planned. After a few hours only half of the group had arrived and a forest fire was sweeping through the area. A decision was made to seal the bunker and to keep it closed for a few days while the fire raged and then open it back up to allow the rest of the Survivalist group to join the shelter. They were a close-knit group of friends and neighbours and the decision to seal the bunker early was not an easy one.

What happened was unexpected to say the least. An unknown agent in the atmosphere within the bunker caused the group to fall into a deep metabolic sleep. When they awoke almost a year later the world they knew was gone. The years of drought had made the forests tinder-dry and the fires consumed much of the forests and cities on Vancouver Island and most of the west coast. It didnít stop there however Ö and coincidentally separate fires were starting up all along the west-coast. From the sites of each fire huge plumes of smoke, ash and burning embers flew into the atmosphere and strong westerly winds blew it from place to place spreading the fire across the continent, city by city, province by province, state by state.

The drought coupled by the continent-wide wild-fires created the perfect environment for the deserts to completely cover the continent given enough time. North America was not the only continent to suffer such a cataclysm and with so much of the surface of the planet turned black with carbon-charring the temperature continued to climb, mass-extinctions were progressing at a previously unheard of rate. Things look very bleak.

Itís this bleak future your group finds itself in. Itís been about a year since you woke up from your sleep. Your supplies are running low, your fuel all but gone. Your group has little choice but to try to re-locate Ö somewhere. A few days ago there was an intermittent contact on a shortwave radio set. The shortwave antenna is directional and it seemed to be picking up the signal strongest from the northwest. Itís the only sign of any survivors you have found for months and the strongest signal since before the cataclysm. The only reason you didnít move out into the world earlier is that there have been disconcerting signs of life in the ruins Ö but it doesnít look simply like more survivors Ö bits of animals torn apart have been found near the bunker in the ruins nearby. Things moving just at the range of your vision but only at night Ö

So it's going to be a solo-game I'll be running for my wife. A mostly post-apocalyptic game with a Zombie-esque twist. Those that were Sleeping also went into a coma from which many are now waking up. Their minds however are gone ... they still have the 'excitement' when they discover something living ... which causes them to Frenzy ...

I've made up 6 of the Survivalists for her to pick from and the rest will stay with her as NPC's. If any of them die she can pick from any remaining survivors. If all 6 die she can make up a different survivor of some kind

I was thinking with the copper in my earlier incarnation of this idea that when the copper is secured within a biological organism it does't change evering, just the un-living stuff.
Supernatural Quotes
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by the movie Nightbreed.

The players make up a monstrous characters using the race creation rules. Everything is on the table. Make your character as human-like or as freaky as you want. You can base it on a monster from mythology or folklore, or come up with your own unique creature. The AB for monstrous powers is Superpowers, using the No Power Points setting rule.

The monsters have recently been found out and have fled their underground home (Midian Cemetery, if you actually use the events from the movie). They dispersed throughout the country, looking for a new place to live away from the prying eyes of Humanity. The PCs are a group of these wandering monsters, looking for a new home where they can live in peace and not be persecuted by humans any more. Adventures could include run-ins with rival monster gangs, monster gangs that hate humans so much that they hunt them and run the risk of getting the PCs in trouble for it, human hunters, sympathetic humans who want to help, dangerous animals, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: