Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Gamma World Conversion] Mutation issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: [Gamma World Conversion] Mutation issues Reply with quote

So here I am working on my Post-apoc game and using sources such as Day after Ragnarok, Darwin's World (SW ed) and the Gamma World Conversion from the Savage Heroes site.

The Darwin's World mutants and mutations were not as Gonzo as I liked. My home-brew normal humans are high powered as are my mutant animals and the Plant and Android PCs are pretty good as well.

The Mutations from Gamma World are more what I have in mind BUT they seem powerful and I was wondering what experience people had using them or even experience using the Darwin's World Mutations (or other rules sets).

before anyone asks Mutants can buy more mutations with the new powers edge. Also since every AB is available in the setting, varied by "race" using Super Powers to represent mutations is not an option.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: [Gamma World Conversion] Mutation issues Reply with quote

Blogotron wrote:
before anyone asks Mutants can buy more mutations with the new powers edge. Also since every AB is available in the setting, varied by "race" using Super Powers to represent mutations is not an option.

How about actually using Race to cover mutations? Mutants can each be their own unique "race" the player builds using the Race Creation rules. If you want additional abilities, just figure out a racial point cost for them.

Then for additional mutations after character creation, have an Edge like...

Mutated!
Requirements: Novice, Mutant

You gain 2 additional Racial Ability points to grant your character new mutations. If you wish, you can gain an additional point (3 points total) by taking a -1 Racial Ability as well.

This Edge can be taken multiple times but only once per Rank.

www.peginc.com
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint, welcome back and thank you for the reply. I will look into converting a character using the race creation rules and see if I can come up with something comparable and post the results here.
Lustvig
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: [Gamma World Conversion] Mutation issues Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Blogotron wrote:

How about actually using Race to cover mutations? Mutants can each be their own unique "race" the player builds using the Race Creation rules. If you want additional abilities, just figure out a racial point cost for them.

Then for additional mutations after character creation, have an Edge like...

Mutated!
Requirements: Novice, Mutant

You gain 2 additional Racial Ability points to grant your character new mutations. If you wish, you can gain an additional point (3 points total) by taking a -1 Racial Ability as well.

This Edge can be taken multiple times but only once per Rank.

Son of a ...

What a simple solutions. WTH didn't I think of that?!? While I really like the Gamma World conversion, it is very unbalanced in play. (Which DOES mimic old school GW).

Plus, I desperately want to write (someday) post-apoc adventures yet not be tied to the Darwin's World setting (sorry!) or a fan-made conversion.

This is so stupid simple, it's not funny.

Actually, it's even simpler as NPCs don't follow creation rules like PCs do, so...duh on my part.

Wow, guess I have the Fadeout and Mental Defect drawbacks.

Speaking of which - how WOULD you do drawbacks? Randomly rolling them was fun. And mean.
Contributing author, “D6 Adventure Locations” and “D6 Fantasy Creatures”; copy editor “Darwin's World 2nd edition”; RPG Director for Metro Detroit Gamers 2007-2010; Founder of Western Area Role Players in 1987 at Western Michigan University.
Lustvig
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: GW Reply with quote

Now, the more recent version of Gamma World has wonderful character gen rules. It basically works my randomly smashing two very weird origins together, then deciding what the final result looks like.

It's ridiculous fun.

I was thinking one could make a conversion of that system, but make the races as +1 in total. That way, ya squish two together for a really unique race, such as:

demonic + wheeled = "Christine" (look it up, its a fun movie).
Contributing author, “D6 Adventure Locations” and “D6 Fantasy Creatures”; copy editor “Darwin's World 2nd edition”; RPG Director for Metro Detroit Gamers 2007-2010; Founder of Western Area Role Players in 1987 at Western Michigan University.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: