Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Classic Books Are Worth Getting for a Reloaded Player?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: What Classic Books Are Worth Getting for a Reloaded Player? Reply with quote

With Pinnacle's Hell on Earth Extravaganza sale, there's the opportunity to get a whole lot of Classic Hell on Earth material for cheap. What I'm wondering is what's worth getting for someone who plays Reloaded?

I'm considering getting a few of the Classic adventures (and have already submitted a Classic to Reloaded conversion that I wrote for one of them to Pinnacle), but aside from that, I really don't know what's worth getting. Basically I'm wondering if I should get:
  • Hell on Earth (Core book)
  • The Wasted West
  • Monsters, Muties, and Misfits
  • Any of the location books (e.g. Denver, Iron Oasis)
  • Any of the archetype books (e.g. Children of the Atom, Spirit Warrior, Waste Warriors)

Basically, what stuff is of more use to a Reloaded player and what's not?

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Kilgore
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What Classic Books Are Worth Getting for a Reloaded Play Reply with quote

I picked up all of the HOE character and location books years ago, during a different online sale, and they're all great reads, and all have at least some new info that could give added flavor to your game. Buy all of them! But if you can't, some are definitely more useful than others. Unfortunately, my books are at my folk's house, so I can't look through them and give you a thorough analysis of what's in each one, but this is what I remember off the top of my head:

I would pick up the Wasted West, which has a good gazeteer and stats for a bunch of new gear that could add some needed variety to the stuff in the HoE:R book. It also has stats for a fairly simple take on Powered Armor that you could probably port over to the new rules pretty easily. The other book you might think about for more gear options is Wasteland Warriors, the soldier sourcebook. It has more guns than you could shake a stick at and good descriptions of different groups of foreign troops left in the US/CSA after the Last War. It also has rules for the Martial Artists AB, which will probably be less useful.

Other than that I think the most useful books would be the location books for any area you might want to take your campaign (Iron Oasis for Junkyard, Shattered Coast for the Maze, etc). The only one of these that I think I would pass on if I were buying them all over again is Denver, the city itself is about what you'd expect (a Deadland ruled over by a combination of Skynet and the badguys from The Road Warrior) and the crunchy section is given over to updated rules for Powered Armor that are so complicated I think they would defy conversion to Savage Worlds. It also includes an expanded list of automatons, but most of the new models it introduced are also stated out in HoE:R

Similarly, unless I'm remembering wrong most of the beasties from Monsters, Muties, and Misfits are in the monsters section of the new rulebook.

Most of the AB specific sourcebooks will be worth it only if you're very interested in learning more about the history of whatever AB they're describing. The exception to that is Spirit Warriors, the toxic shaman book, which has a very thorough description of the environs of the Coyote Wastleland, and so counts as a location book as much as an AB specific book.

I don't have any of the HoE Classic adventures, so I can't speak to them.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What Classic Books Are Worth Getting for a Reloaded Play Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
  • Hell on Earth (Core book)
  • The Wasted West
  • Monsters, Muties, and Misfits
  • Any of the location books (e.g. Denver, Iron Oasis)
  • Any of the archetype books (e.g. Children of the Atom, Spirit Warrior, Waste Warriors)

Basically, what stuff is of more use to a Reloaded player and what's not?

Core Book - no. The only thing in there that you might want is the Classic Mutations table - unique entries for all 54 cards, with very specific mutations. Very cool, but a lot less hindering than the Reloaded version.
Wasted West - YES! Worth it for Jo's Journal alone. A guide to the Wastes of 2094 written by veteran Templar Jo Wales. A fantastic read, and gives you a solid idea of what things were like Pre-Harvest. I've often said to players "read this, you'll know what Hell On Earth is about".
Monsters, Muties, and Misfits - either way. Lots of cool monsters, some of which don't have reloaded versions, but you can come up with your own nearly-as-cool monsters without too much trouble. Plus, I rarely see content from these show up in campaign; amazing ideas that get very little play. Fantastic descriptions, though.
Location Books - Probably not. All are useful for Pre-Harvest conditions. Still, the North is probably the only one worth getting if you're just doing reloaded. Shattered Coast introduces arcane librarians, but they don't get cool until the article in Epitaph 4. Denver has full Power Armor rules, but I really dislike the Classic power armor rules - they're very weak.
Almost all have an adventure in them, making them useful on that front.
Last Crusaders, Spirit Warriors, Children of the Atom, Waste Warriors, Brainburners, Junkman Cometh - Not really. They're full of neat history, but unless you really wan to know all about where these things came from, it's not terribly useful. In fact, these books have a lot of unique and interesting mechanics and powers that are not currently reloaded - stuff that many Marshals try to reload with very mixed results. I'm guessing that most of it has been left behind because it wasn't fast or fun enough, what with shifting all that focus to one arcane PC.
Note that most of these have an adventure in the back.
Road Warriors, Cyborgs - I'd pick them up, for different reasons. Cyborgs is the history and style of cyborgs in the wasted west - something that hasn't been Reloaded yet. Road Warriors ... I don't know how useful it would be but I really do like this book. Among it's other virtues, you learn a lot about the Convoy and why they were important, and possibly why they need to be replaced.
Adventures - Either way. The core line builds up to the Unity (and the Harvest), but can be ignored or adapted to be something else entirely.
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the location books might be useful, mostly City of Sin, as it really adds more depth to who is in Silas' domain and what he had. Like ValhallaGH said, they're all pre-Unity, so they might be of limited use. City of Sin is probably the one that stands out in my mind, especially if your campaign is going to be heading into the Las Vegas to either pursue a Doomsayer or pre-emptively deal with Simon.

I'd echo the comment on Wasted West, mostly for Jo's Journal. It's probably one of the best pieces. It also has a lot on GMing which, looking at the pdf, I felt were missing, like hard and fast rules regarding servitors...as well as a map.

I also really like Monsters, Muties, and Misfits as it has a lot of really good servitors and decent critters. A lot of the servitors and some of the monster you'd have to convert, but I think a lot of them would be useful. For instance, Monsters, Muties, and Misfits gives stats and information on Maestro who is the servitor who creates Scrawlers which HoE Reloaded mentions but doesn't stat or give a real history or backstory. Some of the more creative monsters just didn't make it in, like The Sob Sister or mainliners (think if the zombie plague was caused by junkies), creeping gulches (which are probably an adventure to themselves) or Glamor Pusses (plastic surgery addicts). So I'd say there's a lot of ideas to be mined in Monster, Muties and Misfits.

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
slugsabi
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding my thanks to this as I hit the 'checkout' button on the Pinnacle Store. Razz
wanderingmystic
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have to agree with the people here that Wasted West and Monsters, Muties, and Misfits.

Something that Monsters, Muties, and Misfits has that most books leave out is a very good write up from a characters perspective. The first half of the book, like Jo's journal in Waster West gives pc's a good description without letting them see any crunch.

The big three city books (Denver, Las Vegas, and Junkyard) might be a bit outdated but still have a great wealth of information if you are running a game in one of those cities.

The class books do give you a very in depth feeling for playing any of those character. Toxic Shaman is probable the best (if you are playing a toxic shaman) as I feel like their powers were kinda glossed over in the core book due to the fact that each one of the five types have different and appropriate powers. Once again it is only good for fluff but I find that the book adds a lot of depth to the class.
Savage Oni
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to play the reloaded version, the class books are a waste of money. So is the Wasted West book since the Reloaded does a nice job of summarizing the locations and events. The only books worth getting are the monster book and location books since they go a bit more in depth about their indivdual places.
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of looking like I'm trolling for sales, I respectfully disagree. The class books in particular have *tons* of background on each Arcane Background that we won't likely ever reprint again.

You're correct that the rules portions aren't useful, but *if* you like reading about how these things came about, I think they're great background that should inspire many adventures and aspects of your campaign.

Just my two cents. Smile

Shane

Savage Oni wrote:
If you are going to play the reloaded version, the class books are a waste of money. So is the Wasted West book since the Reloaded does a nice job of summarizing the locations and events. The only books worth getting are the monster book and location books since they go a bit more in depth about their indivdual places.
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:
At the risk of looking like I'm trolling for sales, I respectfully disagree. The class books in particular have *tons* of background on each Arcane Background that we won't likely ever reprint again.

You're correct that the rules portions aren't useful, but *if* you like reading about how these things came about, I think they're great background that should inspire many adventures and aspects of your campaign.

I have to say, based on my experience with DLR, that I whole-heartedly agree. I have gotten plenty of use out of my classic splat books in my Reloaded game and I expect the same out of HOE.

On a somewhat related topic, I now have a more-or-less complete collection of HOE classic now (though I've read little of it so far) and was wondering:

If I was wanting to run a "prologue" to HOE reloaded, ending, presumably, with The Unity, which adventures would I need to run, and in what order? I'm only concerned with those that advance the metaplot.
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonah Hex wrote:

On a somewhat related topic, I now have a more-or-less complete collection of HOE classic now (though I've read little of it so far) and was wondering:

If I was wanting to run a "prologue" to HOE reloaded, ending, presumably, with The Unity, which adventures would I need to run, and in what order? I'm only concerned with those that advance the metaplot.

You don't really "have" to run anything prior to The Unity, though it's recommended that you make sure that your posse has 1) a good deal of experience/Grit/advancement, and 2) made some friends in Junkyard.

I'd recommend running them through Urban Renewal and The Boise Horror (particularly if there's a Templar in your posse). Air Force One is Down and Jihad would both be pretty good intros for Unity as well.

I definitely wouldn't skip Urban Renewal, though--that adventure just oozes style and horrific feel, and it's a great way for your posse to garner the attention of the big players in Junkyard.
burningcrow
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage Oni wrote:
If you are going to play the reloaded version, the class books are a waste of money.

I have to disagree as well.

I got the splat books and "The Wasted West" in the sale and I have to say that they are invaluable roleplaying resources. Given, you might not need the rules in there, but the fluff is a spectacular wealth of story seeds for GMs and roleplaying ideas for players. I don't regret getting the books!
Radical Ans
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningcrow wrote:
Savage Oni wrote:
If you are going to play the reloaded version, the class books are a waste of money.

I have to disagree as well.

I got the splat books and "The Wasted West" in the sale and I have to say that they are invaluable roleplaying resources. Given, you might not need the rules in there, but the fluff is a spectacular wealth of story seeds for GMs and roleplaying ideas for players. I don't regret getting the books!

Agreed. I found a copy of "The Junkman Cometh" and "Road Warriors" in print at my local game store and they've got quite a bit of neat fluff bits that really take the setting to the next level. I'm glad I found them since when I tried to get print copies in the sale they were all gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: