Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOER Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: HOER Questions Reply with quote

The Wasted West is a bad place to be for sure, but do we really need to make it this bad?

My question stems from the change to Grit from Deadlands. Fear Levels are no longer counteracted by Grit. You can buy the edge Brave from SWD or the new edges Guts (veteran) and Grit (legendary). The last two are quite powerful. Guts cuts fear level minuses by half while Grit eliminates it totally. Great, unless you are a novice or seasoned. The fear levels in the Wasted West are usually quite high. The Sioux Nation is fear level two, everything else is three or higher! Most are fear level four, unless you want to cross the old Bloody Muddy (that's six!). Any critter that has a fear power can add to the modifier. Ouch. You aren't going to have many neophytes make it to veteran to get that first edge. Most are going to be catatonic drooling on their boots before then.

Say my novice PC is wandering the Great Basin. He has a d6 of Spirit (pretty typical). What he doesn't realize is he is about to wander into a house occupied by a handful of Trogs. Fear Check at a -3. The PC has to roll a 6 (a seven really, but lets call it what it is for real). If the GM is really cruel...I mean realistic...he might add a situational modifier making a rough situation worse. Heaven forfend this poor unfortunate PC should meat...um...meet these Trogs in the Mississippi Delta (fear level five).

I guess my question is...was this intentional? Are encounters with fear causing creatures supposed to be very infrequent? Or are they meant to harrow the majority of adventurers?

My next question. The edge Wheels give a PC 5000 dollars to build a "sweet ride". Looking at the vehicle prices in the book a PC could get a sweet ATV and some mods, a motorcycle or dirtbike or they could get the cheapest econo car allowed which is priced 5K or van at the same price neither with any mods. Players with this edge will not be able to buy a car and the mods necessary to take on the Wasted West. The prices in the book seem to be present day prices.

Was this intentional? Should early level PCs be limited to riding on dirtbikes or ATVs? I gather from the book that horses and shank's mare is really a bad idea.

None are free until all are free!
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price for vehicles in HOER is straight out of the SWD. Should we modify the prices by half (to reflect starting money) or will there be an errata?

jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Wheels is concerned, note that it's modified by Rich and Filthy Rich (providing $15,000 and $25,000 for a vehicle, respectively).

So, at character creation, you could either spend two Hindrance points for $500 or you can spend them for Wheels and get $5,000 instead. For one Edge, that's a bonus of twenty times your starting cash, opening the options for sixty and one-hundred times the starting cash for a normal character, in addition to your actual starting cash.

Personally, I don't find that to be underpowered.

If you're running a game and your vision of that game needs the characters to have cooler wheels, give them cooler wheels. We've never, ever expected all campaigns to be identical and frequently encouraged you to reshape settings to your vision.
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpk wrote:
As far as Wheels is concerned, note that it's modified by Rich and Filthy Rich (providing $15,000 and $25,000 for a vehicle, respectively).

So, at character creation, you could either spend two Hindrance points for $500 or you can spend them for Wheels and get $5,000 instead. For one Edge, that's a bonus of twenty times your starting cash, opening the options for sixty and one-hundred times the starting cash for a normal character, in addition to your actual starting cash.

Personally, I don't find that to be underpowered.

In the version of HOER that I have Rich is a requirement for Wheels. So I'd have to spend two edges not one for Wheels (and must have a d6 in repair). The description in HOER does not indicate that you can modify the amount from Wheels with Rich and Filthy Rich. It would seem strange that you could modify with Rich since it is a requirement.

Given all that a novice character using your advice could end up with Rich, Wheels and Filthy Rich and conceivably have $25,000 of car. I just don't know if I read the rules the same way you do.

jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire6A wrote:
In the version of HOER that I have Rich is a requirement for Wheels.

Ah. You need to refresh your download. Then you'll read it the same way I do and how it is in the print edition.
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks just downloaded the newer version. That should help a bit for the Wheels question.

jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear my input is now potentially constructive instead of random glossolalia.
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your mother know you talk like that?

jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is she knows, but doesn't understand. Not uncommon with glossolalia, actually. Laughing
Kilgore
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the fear question, remember the "getting jaded" note about fear tests in the SW rules. This isn't Classic Deadlands, where coming to terms with the existence of the supernatural can be a major story point with some characters. The bombs fell 15 years ago, the cat's pretty much out of the bag as far as the supernatural. I think it's safe to assume that most characters will start the game jaded with regard to "every-day" horrors like walking dead. Fear tests should only be triggered by unusual enemies that are particularly threatening or horrific, and even then, probably only the first time the posse encounters them. If you've killed more murderous zombies than you can count on your fingers and toes a huge, frothing, purple cannibal mutant might shock you the first time, but it's also going to fit pretty easily into your world-view.

That said, it really depends on how you want to run your game. I've always seen HoE as more of a pulpy action-horror setting than anything else.
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I retract my first comment as I have been looking at the monsters and misfits in reloaded. The fear effect is gone from quite a few of the critters. So I think I should be able to live with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: