Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who Created an Expanded Race Creation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Who Created an Expanded Race Creation? Reply with quote

So I was planning on using the Deluxe's race creation rules to create cyborg/Android characters for my post-apoc game and found the list to be somewhat limited. Just wondering if an more expansive list exists, officially or unofficially.

I don't know exactly what I am looking for but I am curious to know if there is anything out there to use whole cloth or modify.
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slipstream has a Race of Robot Men. Also the fantasy companion and scifi tool kit has race creration rules.
CitizenKeen
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to do that can't be done with the Race Creation rules in SWD? I think the fact that it includes all Novice and Seasoned Edges as well as all Hindrances makes it pretty comprehensive. What kind of race are you trying to create that can't be done with that?
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my experiences are based on Interface Zero in which both Androids and Cyborgs more or less exist. My players have created PCs of both types and those characters have worked out very well. Androids are 1 of the available bace races and differ from other races in that they're constructs; so +2 to recover from being shaken, no penalties for wound modifiers, immune to poison and disease and not subject to called shots.

Cyborgs are a PC of any race that have made use of IZ's Cyberware implant system. Bottom line, implants have 4 levels of quality ratings with the lowest/1st providing only 1 base function and being most prone to defects while the highest/4th comes with 3 base functions and no initial defects. The functions range from 1 -to- 3 points, with 1 point being simple implants like standard cyber arms, legs and razor nails while 3 point implants are enhancements like major muscle augmentations, jump jets and 1 ft long razor sharp retractable blades that deal serious damage! Surprised A starting character would never be able to afford anything better than 2nd level cyberware, and only then if they really played their cards right and took on some initial debt.

In many ways the different levels of cyberware, the number of defects and differing point grades of functions are similar to the +/- abilities in SWD race creation. I haven't really thought about how it might be adapted to abilities in race creation, as the settings cyberware system has worked equally well. Androids are easy to translate, since they have Contstruct which is a +2 ability. The only thing they have equivalent to a (-) ability in that setting is they can't make use of bioware systems; so maybe a -1. That still leaves a -1 ability missing, but since their constructed androids I'm sure they have a quirk (minor hindrance) of some sort. Wink
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an intuitive "feels limited" rather than an intellectual "feels limited"

My goal is to be able to create a Johnny-5 style 80s bot or a Reaver from the X-men comics.

For my setting cyborg vs android is a matter of trappings.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blogotron wrote:
Its an intuitive "feels limited" rather than an intellectual "feels limited"

Tell your intellect to go beat up your instincts. Wink The SWC race creation rules have you covered; you just need to take the time to realize it. The one "complaint" is that it lacks a formal system for adding effects that mimic the powers system - and that was a conscious choice because they didn't want to limit designers to one particular method of racial powers.

Have you seen the Android race? It's an example of one way to do it, though that result is very like Data from Star Trek.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mucked around with it a bit and added additional effects. Basically I had:

• +1 Start with a d4 in two different skills
  • +1 Flat bonus of +2 to a skill
  • +1 +2 Toughness when hit with an attack of a certain element (e.g. Fire trapping) and +2 versus a similar environmental condition (e.g. heat)
  • +2 Once per session, you can count your card as a Joker. This does not count for the purpose of Wild Card Edges (e.g. Dead Shot, Mighty Blow)
  • +2 Gain a Novice power from the Powers section, which can be activated by spending a Benny and making a successful Smarts roll in place of an Arcane skill. (No PP required)

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
I've mucked around with it a bit and added additional effects. Basically I had:

• +1 Start with a d4 in two different skills
  • +1 Flat bonus of +2 to a skill
  • +1 +2 Toughness when hit with an attack of a certain element (e.g. Fire trapping) and +2 versus a similar environmental condition (e.g. heat)
  • +2 Once per session, you can count your card as a Joker. This does not count for the purpose of Wild Card Edges (e.g. Dead Shot, Mighty Blow)
  • +2 Gain a Novice power from the Powers section, which can be activated by spending a Benny and making a successful Smarts roll in place of an Arcane skill. (No PP required)

I like this except for the last one. I'm not sure what the point is when there's already something listed in the usual creation rules that serves the same purpose.

I'd also add:
+2 One skill starts at d8
-2 A skill is always considered greater than the linked attribute, even at character creation.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerguy786 wrote:
I like this except for the last one. I'm not sure what the point is when there's already something listed in the usual creation rules that serves the same purpose.

I think what Thundeforge was striving for there was to account for a no power points Novice level power, which really isn't in the creation rules. The existing creation ablilities include a Novice power (+1) with 5 PP (+1) at +2, so the no PP should probably at least cost +1. Personally I wouldn't have it cost a benny to use though - IMO that makes it too expensive.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
Personally I wouldn't have it cost a benny to use though - IMO that makes it too expensive.

I guess that was my real issue with it. Take that away and I guess it's fine, though it also doesn't need to be smarts necessarily. I always read that and think it's for a dragon man breath weapon (which I would use Vigor for). Minor thing, not a big deal, but worth saying for the record.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess the idea was for it to be linked to some attribute, not necessarily Smarts. And dropping it down to a +1 seems fair since it does cost a benny.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: