Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Fair Use" of published material in fan conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: "Fair Use" of published material in fan conversion Reply with quote

So, this is sort of a tricky point: In converting Shadowrun I've been trying to use a minimum of neccessary books to do so; SWD and SPC are pretty much required to use what I've done. But there are a couple of powers/edges from other books (say, the Summoning powers from Horror Companion) that work nicely. On one hand, I would like to use them as they're "official" material; on the other hand, I really don't want to make someone have to have Horror Companion just to use one or two powers.

So, is there a quasi official guide for reprinting these things in a fan conversion if it's a small excerpt? From a copyright perspective, I understand you can't copyright mechanics, so technically if I rename and rephrase the edge/power and it has the same game effect that's not a per se copyright violation, but does seem like a bit of a dick move.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fan License (and Publication one for that matter) are posted on the website...

http://www.peginc.com/licensing/

Section 5 would be the one to check in this specific case.

www.peginc.com
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
The Fan License (and Publication one for that matter) are posted on the website...

Question 2 would then be, I think, who does one contact? Shane? You? Joel?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBrownell wrote:
Clint wrote:

I'd suggest the licensing email address in the opening for the publishers' license...

PEGlicensing@gmail.com

www.peginc.com
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
TommyBrownell wrote:
Clint wrote:

I'd suggest the licensing email address in the opening for the publishers' license...

PEGlicensing@gmail.com

Gotcha. Seemed logical, but didn't know if the "fan supplement" vs "pay supplement" part would make a difference.

(I was curious in case it ever comes up for me. Doubtful, since I never finish projects that I start on my own, but you never know).
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like it might be easier to just retool things if I decide to release this, then. I had come up with something for summoning that looked almost exactly like the Summon Spirit power, for example, and then went "hey this looks like Summon Spirit, maybe I should just use that."

I guess my concern then is not looking like I did knock off something in the books: again, the copyright only covers the description of the mechanics to my knowledge (not the mechanics) but even if this is sort of a case of parallel development I wouldn't want to make it look like i just filed the serial numbers off, you know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: