Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resource Management
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Resource Management Reply with quote

So I got a game where the PCs are kings of a small realm. How do I keep track of thgings with minimal book work? How much should each territory produce in taxes? I was thinking each 100 gold peices makes a resouce point. Should I track things by resource points or just use gold pieces?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless everyone wants to play Accountants and Dragons, resource points.

There is some discussion in this thread: http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31422

Good luck!
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:

There is some discussion in this thread: http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31422

Good luck!

I can't find the mentioned hellfrost supplement! oh noes!
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the supplement thanks to VGH. But they want money and I am broke! oh noes!
silverwave
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres always the Pathfinder Kingmaker supplement that has excellent realm management but its fairly complex and a lot of bookeeping. But its very complete. From ressource management to land exploration to building constructions and improving the lands.
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverwave wrote:
Theres always the Pathfinder Kingmaker supplement that has excellent realm management but its fairly complex and a lot of bookeeping. But its very complete. From ressource management to land exploration to building constructions and improving the lands.

Is it free? IO need free stuff cause I don't have the funds for a new book.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far do you want to go with the resource management? Do you want to just track the economy of a kingdom or do you also want to account for the resources consumed by warfare?
kaltorak
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote a whole supplement for resource management for Hellfrost.

You can find it for few bucks at the following link:

http://www.tripleacegames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=182

Despite being written for Hellfrost it can be used in your fantasy setting of choice.
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no income So I can't afford the $5 supplement. Sad
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Resource Management Reply with quote

samuraicrab wrote:
How do I keep track of thgings with minimal book work?

There are 3 questions the PCs should have when running an organization:
  • How can the organization help me?
  • How can I help the organization?
  • How will the organization cause problems for me?
Focus on those questions, because they will drive the story. Don't focus on resource management.

Assume the kingdoms produce about as much in taxes as it costs to run them. Instead, let the kingdom give them access to information and soldiers and such. Let the needs of the kingdom and the problems of rulership create adventure hooks. Let the rewards of those adventures be upgrades to the kingdom or cash for your pockets.

-- 77IM
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing the Kingmaker adventure path. After you play through a few turns of kingdom management, it's not that hard. I also play a lot of Euro-style board games, and it feels a lot like we're playing a seperate mini-game during this segment of the evening. If that feels too jarring for you, then steer clear, but I find it fun.

The rules are not free, but there is a summary of it here:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/kngmkr/wikis/kingdom-building-and-management-rules

I think with some effort, you could get it to work with SW trait rolls, and you can find an appropriate conversion for how much BPs would be in your campaign's currency.
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:

Best. Game. Idea. Ever.

"Look, somebody's got to keep track of all the things in your hoard, Smaug! You wouldn't even know that ring was missing if I hadn't come across in the audit! Yes, the repo guys and I are tracking that little freakshow down."

Imagine the fun of being the accountant and/or legbreaking goon squad in the employ of a dragon tracking down all the magical crap various idiot adventurers have appropriated from the hoard over time. Or confronting the king's sheriff with a combination of impenetrable paperwork and also boiling oil. It'd be like working for Haliburton except that you'd be in the employ of scaly reptiles. So exactly like working for Haliburton then.
GreenTongue
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Resource Management Reply with quote

77IM wrote:
Assume the kingdoms produce about as much in taxes as it costs to run them. Instead, let the kingdom give them access to information and soldiers and such. Let the needs of the kingdom and the problems of rulership create adventure hooks. Let the rewards of those adventures be upgrades to the kingdom or cash for your pockets.

-- 77IM

Now _that_ is the FFF way to do it!
=
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless, of course, that's actually the game you want to play. Kingmaker has been an interesting experience. Like I said, it feels kind of like a boardgame where you manage resources and try to keep your subjects loyal and your kingom prosperous.

This does carry over into the roleplaying portion of the game as well. Each month, you roll for random events. Most of ours have ended up being quite bad for us. I, the Grand Diplomat, have been accused of a couple personal scandals. A monster attack on our farms was met with a slow response from us, which lowered our favor among the citizenry. A quick response later helped us. We took money out of the treasury to ressurect one of the PCs. That was not a popular move.

The GM could always wing this sort of thing, but I kind of like that there's a set of steps and rules that we all agree to follow and then deal with the consequences. If it isn't adding any enjoyment to your game, then don't do it. If the kingdom/town/resource management mechanics themselves are FFF!, then by all means go for it.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Resource Management Reply with quote

77IM wrote:

-- 77IM

this is kind of how I'd do space merchant type games.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my own $.02, but I don't think a resource management system that isn't somehow linked to adventures is really worth bothering with in a RPG. Even in long-term campaigns for tactical and skirmish games, RMS's are always linked to the undertaking and outcome of battles. It just doesn't seem like much FFF can be mined out of something that only manages the $ of an internal economy. The Pathfinder Kingmaker addon sounds like something along the lines of what I'd want to do.

If I was to device a resource system for kingdom management I'd keep it simple, but cover at least these bases.

• Supply
  • Maintenance
  • Repair
I also wouldn't base it directly on the in-game currency in, but instead use resouces points which could earned by adventuring, reputation or battling. Then I'd award RPs based on outcome of battles or successes with roleplaying in adventures.
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stars Without Numbers has a 'Faction' System. Since SWN is free to legallyt download I'll give it a shot.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using the SWN faction system in a D20 Modern setting. While it's very detailed and covers all the bases, it was too crunchy for my tastes. If I was to use it for a SW setting I doubt I go much further than the Faction Assets and Faction Actions rules. It's been a while since I looked at it, but IIRC there were tables for 3 different types of assets that were far too finite and complex. I think it could work for a SW setting, but IMO it would need a fair amount of simplifying.
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuraicrab wrote:
I have no income So I can't afford the $5 supplement. Sad

How many players do you have? If you have five players charge them each $1.00 the next time you game with them for the supplement!
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, I once had a really good idea written up for running faction members, but now I can't find it. The short version is,

1. Stat up your faction members as Extras and when they do something for you they use the "group rolls out of combat" rules to get a Wild Die.
2. Depending on how many people you assign to a task, they will get a bonus or penalty. The GM just figures out how many people it would take to have a "reasonable chance" and for every doubling/halfing give a +1/-1 (as a guideline).
3. Abstract conflicts are resolved in a manner similar to Tests of Wills between factions. This is an opposed roll (with Wild Die as usual for a group roll), with modifiers for relative size. On a success the winner gets a one-time +2 against the loser (but you can save it up and use it whenever) and on a raise the losing faction is "Shaken" for a time and must make a Spirit check to reorganize.

Ah, there was a bunch more but that's the meat of it.

-- 77IM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: