Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[HOER] Auto-Shotgun

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ValhallaGH
Legendary


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 6280

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: [HOER] Auto-Shotgun Reply with quote

So, the listed auto-shotgun is a ROF 3. This implies between 400 and 900 rounds per minute; two to four times as much as any real-world automatic shotgun.
Was this intentional? Did the Hell On Earth future really develop a gun that can process shotgun shells that quickly, without destroying the fragile things? Or is it supposed to be a ROF 2 weapon?
_________________
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clint
Site Admin


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 17818

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: [HOER] Auto-Shotgun Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
So, the listed auto-shotgun is a ROF 3. This implies between 400 and 900 rounds per minute; two to four times as much as any real-world automatic shotgun.
Was this intentional?


Yep, it was. Though I don't believe we've ever made a direct corollary between in-game ROF and actual rounds per minute for a weapon.

ValhallaGH wrote:
Did the Hell On Earth future really develop a gun that can process shotgun shells that quickly, without destroying the fragile things?


It's not simply the HOE future; it's the Deadlands HOE future where fully automatic shotguns have existed since the 1870s, nearly a century before their "common" appearance in actual history.

And the question presumes developing a gun that can handle "fragile" shells instead of the simple development of stronger shells. Plastics that were rare decades ago are commonplace now, and plastics that are rare now could be commonplace in decades to come (even ignoring the possible impact of Deadlands alchemy of plastic innovations).

Ultimately though, future shotgun is future shotgun. Wink
_________________
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ValhallaGH
Legendary


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 6280

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. I was hoping it was a typo. Laughing

I am unaware of any stated direct corollary between ROF and RPM. Though most of the weapons follow an observable trend (up to about 400 RPM is ROF 2; up to about 1,000 RPM is ROF 3); except for the exceptions.

Thanks for the answer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clint
Site Admin


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 17818

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
I am unaware of any stated direct corollary between ROF and RPM. Though most of the weapons follow an observable trend (up to about 400 RPM is ROF 2; up to about 1,000 RPM is ROF 3); except for the exceptions.


I've said it before and likely will again; the game is all about consistent exceptions. And of course the autofire rules are admittedly "somwhat abstract" themselves.

Ultimately the most important "real world" facet we worry about is playing the game at the table. That always trumps any simulationism. Doesn't mean it's completely tossed out the window; it just isn't the primary goal.
_________________
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
shinryu
Seasoned


Joined: 18 Jul 2011
Posts: 336

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is off topic, but since this came up in other conversations, though, is this roughly the formula:

square root of (Rounds Per Minute/60), rounding down/nearest?

It lines up pretty well with the listed weapons (the SAW at 950 rpm is about 950/60 = 16 ish, square root 4, the M60 is 650/60 10 ish, square rooting and rounding down to 3).

Additionally, it seems like the suppressive fire ammo consumption gets a little odd past Rof 4, since it goes linearly while standard autofire grows exponentially, so at e.g. RoF 6 it takes fewer rounds to suppress a large area than it does to fire 6 bursts. Might make more sense to just double the full fire ammo consumption for suppressive fire? Just curious there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clint
Site Admin


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 17818

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinryu wrote:
Sorry if this is off topic, but since this came up in other conversations, though, is this roughly the formula:

square root of (Rounds Per Minute/60), rounding down/nearest?


There is no "formula."

shinryu wrote:
Additionally, it seems like the suppressive fire ammo consumption gets a little odd past Rof 4, since it goes linearly while standard autofire grows exponentially, so at e.g. RoF 6 it takes fewer rounds to suppress a large area than it does to fire 6 bursts. Might make more sense to just double the full fire ammo consumption for suppressive fire? Just curious there.


Most weapons don't go past ROF 4. ROF 5 is extremely rare, and ROF 6 is nearly non-existent. If there's a setting where they are much more common that doesn't already have special rules for their use with suppressive fire, then doubling the ammo usage could work.
_________________
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum