Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

He Thinks He's Hawkeye...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: He Thinks He's Hawkeye... Reply with quote

Our weekly Deadlands game is about 3 sessions away from wrapping up, and our group has been debating on what to do next. I think we've collectively settled on Hell on Earth, with my wife taking up the GMing reins.

I'm excited about this one, as it's been ages since I've gotten to play (I'm nearly always the GM), though I've been struggling with what character to play. Templar looked good, Doomsayer's always a trip...I had my eye on a Kung-fu Librarian at one point, but I couldn't make it work numerically.

And then it hit me:

Jason Arrington was a corporal in the US Marine Corps before the Big Bang. While he hadn't seen much combat duty, his time spent as an artillery repairman on bases throughout Ohio and Michigan made him more than technologically apt. It also provided Jason a good deal of free time, during which he indulged in his favorite hobby: reading comic books.

Jason's favorite character was Hawkeye, the brash archer from Marvel's Avengers. When asked why, Jason was quick to reply, "Because he's always got a trick up his sleeve..."

When the Union began implementing Operation Damocles Soldier, Jason was one of the recruits selected, due to his technical expertise. However, when Jason was placed in cryogenic stasis, something went slightly amiss. Maybe the oxygen flow to Jason's brain wasnt quite right. Maybe some interfering gremlin introduced some technological mischief.

Regardless, when Jason awoke after the Big Bang, the entire cryo-shelter was blown to smithereens. Jason himself was barely clothed, could not remember much to save his life, and could hardly walk due to muscle atrophy. Crawling back into the ruins of the cryo-shelter, Jason began scavenging all he could and began putting together the pieces of his awakening...just not in the right order.

You see, Jason now believes wholeheartedly that he is Clint Barton, the peerless archer of Marvel fame. Finding a compound bow--a hunting bow left in a locker by a careless sergeant--Jason convinced himself that he had survived an attack on a top secret SHIELD facility, and that he is the only surviving Avenger.

Jason/Clint thinks he has things pieced together, though his perception is warped and stilted. He believes that Apocalypse (the Marvel mutant menace) caused the devastation in the world and that his Four Horsemen are actually corrupted versions of former heroes, who can be redeemed. (Obviously, we know this not to be the case.). Jason regularly calls ghost rock "vibranium" and uses a means at his disposal to try to contact non-existent heroes like Tony Stark, Thor, or the X-Men.

The tech spirits in the Hunting Grounds have done nothing but foster this grand delusion, granting Jason the abilities of a Junker, which manifest as Jason/Clint salvaging parts to "build new arrowheads" and piece together the gadgets Jason remembers from countless comics. Grapnel arrows, stun arrows, explosive-tipped arrows...if they're in the comics, they're in Jason's subconscious, and they're in his quiver.

Jason/Clint wants desperately to build a new SHIELD and, with it, a new Avengers team, in the hopes to avenge his losses and take down (the totally fictitious) Apocalypse. So far, Jason's only clue has been a set of dog-tags, found upon his awakening.

The tags belong to a 1st Lieutenant Gordon Eriksen. Eriksen was the commander of the Damocles facility where Jason was frozen, and may be the one man who knows Jason's true identity. Unfortunately, Eriksen has been turned into a Combine cyborg...

(I took a little liberty with the Operation Damocles stuff, obviously. I actually took Veteran of the Weird West on my preliminary draft of the character sheet, but yoinked the Damocles flavor, as it fit better. I chose to go with Junker, thanks to the awesome benefit of the altered Gadgeteer edge, which lets use you use components to replicate powers you don't have a number of times per day as half your Spirit die. Jason/Clint has Wall Walker and Blast as powers right now, but would replicate things like Blind, Stun, Smite, Entangle, and Fear, using "specialty arrowheads")
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a HoE Classic game I'm in, we got a guy who has a similar backstory - solider who had a nerdy/geeky hobby, got Super-Soldiered, survived the Bang but got his brains scrambled a bit, now thinks he's a fictional character.

In his case, he's not a super-soldier - he's a SPACE MARINE. He calls the rest of the party an Inquisitorial retinue he's attached himself to to redeem himself in the Emperor's honor, and to fight back against the invading forces of Chaos.
wanderingmystic
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great concept for your character. I also did something kinda similar in a classic HOE game where my character was an experiment in cloning done in fort 51, the experiment was a failure mutating my body leaving me looking like Cryptosporidium-136 from destroy all humans and leaving me without any memories. After much research in the databases (watching sci fi movies) my character belived he was an alien.
Fists-of-Dorn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

I had a player in one of my HOE Classic games go with the archer-what-thinks-he's-a-superhero. Though he went without any powers at all and had a severely hampered mind with his 1d4 Knowledge. It was fun watching him survive for a good without much more than a bit of luck and a lot of determination. Sometimes though your number is up when facing down a deranged vampire who thinks he's a hangin' judge.

Being that you seem to be using HOE Reloaded, I cannot make any mechanical recommendations other than that I would push toward no arcane background to begin with, if ever. It might be more fun/satisfying trying to cobble together trick arrows the old fashioned way.

Either way good luck with the character and the game.

-Fists.
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Reply with quote

Fists-of-Dorn wrote:
Being that you seem to be using HOE Reloaded, I cannot make any mechanical recommendations other than that I would push toward no arcane background to begin with, if ever. It might be more fun/satisfying trying to cobble together trick arrows the old fashioned way.

Either way good luck with the character and the game.

I actually contemplated this when I first came up with the concept of the character, but eventually discarded the idea.

It's just so damned expensive to buy/barter grenades, and scavenging is simply not reliable as a way to come up with necessary items. A single frag grenade costs $100, with Inferno grenades and the like costing much more.

The Junker background, I felt, better displays his immersion into madness and his abilities. While the "struggle" to find components and the like is admirable, it takes away from the character's internal struggle and, later, his revelations. I could spend the game without the AB, trying to be effective and relevant...or I could just take it, and be competent.

I'm definitely more interested in Jason/Clint's personal struggles than the continual quest of "searching for arrow components", and this lets me focus on that, while still being effective (and interesting!) in combat.
Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one issue :
Quote:
These soldiers can never take the Arcane
Background, Harrowed, Rad Resistant, or
Veteran o the Wasted West Edges

operation Damocles pg 36

never mind i can't read i guess
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: