Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summon Ally logistical nightmare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icebrand
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Summon Ally logistical nightmare Reply with quote

So, i finally got summon ally, and my GM won't let me use it fully...

My (legendary) mage casts summon ally for 7 PP and gets a mirror self that acts immediately.

Mirror self #1 casts another mirror self that acts immediately (13 PP left)
Mirror self #2 casts another mirror self that acts immediately (3 PP left)
Mirror self #3 casts 2 ogres (0 PP left)

On round 2 the mirror #1 casts another mirror self (6 PP left)
this, so i pretty much chill / buff / take cover / stay alive
Mirror self #2 casts a bodyguard (0 PP left)
Mirror self #2.1 casts another mirror self that acts immediately (3 PP left)
Mirror self #3 goes full defense so the ogres can dish out some damage
Mirror self #3.1 casts two more ogres

Round 3 :
Mirror #1 stops casting (must maintain all those mirror images!)
Mirror #2 is on full defense and 0 pp
Mirror #2.2 casts a mirror self
Mirror #3 is on full defense with 0 pp

Well, its a nightmare already, in 3 rounds i have like 5 mirrors, 4-6 ogres, maybe some sentinels and ran out of minis.

Is the spell supposed to work like this?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Summon Ally logistical nightmare Reply with quote

icebrand wrote:
So, i finally got summon ally, and my GM won't let me use it fully...

My (legendary) mage casts summon ally for 7 PP and gets a mirror self that acts immediately.

Mirror self #1 casts another mirror self that acts immediately (13 PP left)
Mirror self #2 casts another mirror self that acts immediately (3 PP left)
Mirror self #3 casts 2 ogres (0 PP left)

On round 2 the mirror #1 casts another mirror self (6 PP left)
this, so i pretty much chill / buff / take cover / stay alive
Mirror self #2 casts a bodyguard (0 PP left)
Mirror self #2.1 casts another mirror self that acts immediately (3 PP left)
Mirror self #3 goes full defense so the ogres can dish out some damage
Mirror self #3.1 casts two more ogres

Round 3 :
Mirror #1 stops casting (must maintain all those mirror images!)
Mirror #2 is on full defense and 0 pp
Mirror #2.2 casts a mirror self
Mirror #3 is on full defense with 0 pp

Well, its a nightmare already, in 3 rounds i have like 5 mirrors, 4-6 ogres, maybe some sentinels and ran out of minis.

Is the spell supposed to work like this?

Doesn't seem likely. In addition to being an Extra, each Mirror Image has half the PPs of the summoner and additionally has all Traits (Skills and Attributes) at one die type less than the summoner.

The example also starts with a caster with an innate 40 PPs which would require some setting effect to occur (since 35 PPs is the normal maximum), but ignoring that for the moment.

It also presumes that every casting roll is successful when even considering that the original caster has a d12 Spellcasting, the first mirror image would have a d10 and a 30% chance of failure and no Bennies to spend, with each further image having a greater and greater chance of failure.

Based off the original caster having a d12 Spellcasting, there's an 83.6% chance that one of four spells cast in just the first round fails, much less any of the later castings.

Even in the rare case that all these rolls succeeded, in three rounds, the character has ended up with 4-6 ogres where each 2 have been summoned in a consecutive round by the least skilled character.

Compartively, the original caster could have spent the same 7 PPs to just summon 4 ogres in the first round with almost a 50% chance they would have the Hardy ability as well.

Ultimately, all these mirror images do is increase the chance of failure and put a lot of pretty ineffective noncombatants on the table (since each successive mirror image has 1 less Parry and Toughness as their Fighting and Vigor decreases, not to mention not having any of the magical gear that the original Legendary character has).

Seems like something, possibly the lowered Traits or not being Wild Cards, isn't being applied. By the rules, tactically and statistically, it's certainly not the best way to use the Mirror Image summoning.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: