Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what ever happened to the Blessed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
majcrew35
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: So what ever happened to the Blessed? Reply with quote

Sometime between Deadlands and HoE, the Blessed dropped off the map. What happened? I've heard it sad that they became Templars, but to my knowledge not only are their mechanics completely different, so are the sources of their powers. The only connection I see there is a minor thematic one.
Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is I think The Blessed lost the power because people abandoned the Divine . I least that's what I take away from Deadlands noir In Deadlands I feel like the relationship between the divine and it's chosen is a two way street The divine empowers champions to fight back the Reckoners and fear, they do this by faith and inspiring hope. As religion and politics are forbidden on the board suffice it to say that from the end of world war one to the present and beyond(theoretically) there's been an argument among comparative religion scholars As to whether faith is an effective force in society anymore.

i don't agree but that's why i'm the undergrad and they have the PhD Surprised

It explains things as far as Deadlands noir goes and provides a plausible explanation for Hell on Earth as well.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially, Blessed and Templars have exactly the same power source: The Good Guys. Blessed are generally less powerful than Templars - more flexible but less actual power.
Templars can kick but like Blessed only dream of, but the world is nasty enough that the forces of Good deemed that level of power to be necessary. One of the things I really respect Pinnacle for doing in the Deadlands line is only giving holy champions the bare minimum of power needed to save the world. That's how all the best stories have always done it.
Villain: "This pathetic rabble is the best the forces of Light can assemble? This is the best your god can do?"
Hero: "Nope. We're simply all that's necessary."
Check out the Classic book Last Crusaders if you want to see most of the source for my statement.

Regarding Marshalonwheels' comments - lack of faith caused Blessed to be less common during large portions of history, but they never vanished. In fact, very old Blessed still walk the West during Hell on Earth - they've just been Blessed for over 50 years.
Divine power, in Deadlands, is definitely a two-way street. Higher Powers provide the juice, but they only give it to those that are "worthy" - folks that would be regarded as "holy" in common experience.
Due to the nature of the powers being bestowed on Templars, it's a bit harder for the Forces of Good - the infusion is a one-time thing (I'm guessing that the Reckoners have created interference that prevents the power from being taken away, but that's speculation), which is one of the reasons that fallen Templars are hunted down by their former brethren; the Oath of Blood protects the reputation of the order and eliminates powerful people that have started abusing their power.

I hope that helped.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Officially, Blessed and Templars have exactly the same power source: The Good Guys.

Well, no, "officially" they aren't "exactly" the same.

Blessed get their powers from Good, and Templars get their powers from Good Guys, the saints who fought Evil in the past. There is a difference.

www.peginc.com
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ... I should have said The Forces of Good? I can fix that.
HoraceBlack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall years ago I ask about the Blessed when it was a mailing list and was told that Blessed where still around with the same power as before.
Personally I think it would be fun to play a Blessed that belonged to the church of Lost Angels (or whatever it was called).
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blessed aren't gone (there is possibly even one mentioned, Old Prosperi, in Shattered Coast), it's just not many (if any) have faith when all hell has been let loose on the world. So ya, you want a Blessed in the game, go for it. We had a player make one who was a member of the Later Day Saints (that was... interesting?).

As for the Blessed/Templar link, it's as close as the Blessed/Doomsayer. They have some things in common but are two different critters. Where Blessed (whatever their source of power is) are out to save everyone's soul, the Templar are out to save the lives of the worthy, and kick the back-side of (aka cut to ribbons) all things evil. Blessed my not be total pacifist, but they are usually border-line pacifist, where Templars are a little more on the blood thirsty side (IMO).

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickin' ass and takin' names for the LAWRD!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: