Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should Deadlands Noir Use Fate Chips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands Noir
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Deadlands Noir Use Fate Chips?
Yes
78%
 78%  [ 47 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 60

Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Should Deadlands Noir Use Fate Chips? Reply with quote

Deadlands Reloaded has Fate Chips. Hell on Earth Reloaded doesn't and just uses standard Bennies instead (the reason given being that people are living in a time when fear is more pervasive and thus they don't get that extra bit of help from the powers that be)?

Deadlands Noir is in the middle of the two eras. So what do you think? Should it include Fate Chips or just use standard Bennies?

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but think of the sheer number of backroom poker games that were going down during the time of DLN... Check out 'The Cincinnati Kid' for some nice inspiration!!!

There were certainly plenty of chips being pushed around...
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say use Fate Chips and preserve the deadlands feel.
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a guess and say "Yes, DL:Noir will use Fate Chips instead of straight Bennies." As Thunderforge pointed out, DL:Noir isn't a setting where fear is more pervasive, it's still kinda like original Deadlands, where the weird and dark is kept in the shadows, for the most part. Joe Average down the street wouldn't know about the supernatural.

So, I'd say use Fate Chips.
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. but this is from a guy that uses fate chips in all savage world games.
Edgeworth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuraicrab wrote:
I say use Fate Chips and preserve the deadlands feel.

This. So much this.

Although what's this talk about HoER using standard bennies? HoER uses Fate Chips. HoER uses Fate Chips. HoER uses Fate Chips. HoER uses Fate Chips. HoER uses Fate Chips. HoER uses Fate Chips. HoER uses Fate Chips. HoER uses Fate Ch...

IT IS THE TRUTH.
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't we all wish.

but its lies all lies. we apparently live in a world of lies.
so i'm going to be stubborn and be truthful Wink
vaganardi
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use Fate chips in Hell on Earth reloaded - Go for it. I will, I like fate chips and I don't mind my players having an edge in the bennie department - it means I can through them into more "interesting" problems earlier into the campaign.
Baiyo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disappointed to hear that HOE:R doesn't include Fate Chips. I certainly hope their an official part of Noir. Just wouldn't feel right otherwise.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't think we'd get a supermajority on this (currently 33 voters and 81% in favor of fate chips) Surprised

For what it's worth though, I do feel the same way. Fate Chips to me are a signature game mechanic of Deadlands. And "pervasive fear" or not, I was disappointed that HoER didn't have this signature mechanic.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
Wow, I didn't think we'd get a supermajority on this (currently 33 voters and 81% in favor of fate chips) Surprised

For what it's worth though, I do feel the same way. Fate Chips to me are a signature game mechanic of Deadlands. And "pervasive fear" or not, I was disappointed that HoER didn't have this signature mechanic.

I actually understood that entirely. I liked that it doesn't include Guts for the same reason that I like it in Weird Wars: it doesn't make sense to have a skill tax on people who deal with terrifying stuff on a semi-daily basis. Dunno if I agree with the lack of Fate Chips, but I haven't played it yet so I'm not really sure.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
greyseerco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone in the "No" zone, I just wanted to put in my two "chips" worth.

I found after GMing Deadlands vs. GMing SWD that in Deadlands I was less comfortable giving out Fate Chips for RPing in Deadlands vs. Bennies in a non-deadland setting.

I think it was fact that there were so many variants of what fate chip could be drawn and issued.

So coming to Deadlands from SWD (vs. coming to SWD from Deadlands) I think I would prefer a straight Benny system over a Fate Chip system.
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambling is something that I think you see almost as often in noir as you see in westerns, so I think Fate Chips could be appropriate. You might want to subtly change them a bit, however, to give them a different feel. Not quite sure how - maybe do something with the mechanics to make the players feel dirty for using them. Or make them feel as though they're taking a big risk. I only say this because it seems to me that in hardboiled stories, poker chips tend to be symbolic of vice, greed, corruption and desperation. You know, the good stuff. Wink
Eynowd
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering that part of the extra rewards for signing up for the Capo level or higher in the Kickstarter was a custom set of Deadlands Noir poker chips, I'd say it's fairly reasonable to assume DL:N is going to use them Smile

(I signed up as a Capo so I could get them Smile
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eynowd wrote:
Well, considering that part of the extra rewards for signing up for the Capo level or higher in the Kickstarter was a custom set of Deadlands Noir poker chips, I'd say it's fairly reasonable to assume DL:N is going to use them Smile

Actually, we have custom bennies using poker chips for many of the settings as you can see on the Studio 2 page...

http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/index.php?cPath=25_161

So the "custom bennies (full-color, customized ceramic poker chips)" offered on the Kickstarter doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as "Fate Chips" in this case.

www.peginc.com
John Goff
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gang,

We've read the thread and we appreciate the feedback, but ultimately Noir is not going to use Fate Chips for almost exactly the reason noted in the first post; because of similarities to Hell on Earth.

The powers that be aren't helping heroes out. In HOE, a big part of that is because hope and faith are in such short supply. Much like the Reckoners need fear; "Good" needs those emotions to interact in the world. In Noir, hope and faith are in short, short supply. The first World War was really, really bad for that. Not only for the sheer amount of death and despair, but because it was the beginning of mankind beginning to put more "faith" in technology. Following the war came the Great Depression, and that basically was a 1-2 knockout punch. The Blessed are nearly gone, and the forces of "Good" are at the weakest they've been in centuries. It's a time when fate simply isn't kind.

And secondly, it just does not fit the setting. It's Deadlands, yes, but it's Deadlands Noir. A dark place where a shamus can't count on fate being fair; he has to hope it's just enough to get him out of the worst of the filth. Fear is pervasive in Deadlands Noir; it's in every shadow and dark alleyway, but someone has to walk down that alley even when all the odds are stacked against him. Maybe he'll come back out, maybe he won't... maybe he shouldn't have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands Noir All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: