Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Veteran O weird west.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troven
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Veteran O weird west. Reply with quote

I renember reading you can use the 25 points for vet to increase the die type for traits, is this true? if so whats the cost? (I don't have my coppy anymore.) and do you get a free trait incease too? srry for grammar my phone sucks.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For games using the Classic rules:
1) You can use the points from any Veteran edge to raise traits. They are usually not enough, though. Wink
2) Raising traits for a veteran of the Weird West costs the new die type in points (still have to buy the steps). So taking Deftness from d6 to d10 would cost 8 (d8 ) + 10 (d10) = 18 of the 25 points. Raising the coordination has the same cost (2dx to 4dx will cost 7 points, 3 for 3dx and 4 for 4dx).
3) The only "free" increases are 3 Grit. And the veteran table can be crippling. Good luck, amigo. Twisted Evil
JackJWells
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25? I remember it being 15, has been a while though

Your money is best spent in Knowledge skills or back up skills that people may forget about, like swimming..oh god the number of people dying from falling into a river lol or throwing (rocks can still hurt and one day you might find tnt or a grenade)
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackJWells wrote:
25? I remember it being 15, has been a while though

Generally, Veteran o' ... provides 15 character points that work just like any other character point (except for allowing you to buy up traits - veteran points can do this at the same rate as Bounty Points).
For an HOE campaign, Veteran o' the Weird West is special. It shows that this character survived the 200-odd year gap between the Weird West and the Wasted West. So, it works differently, and can be more powerful. But again, that table draw is nasty.
JackJWells
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that now, I think I misread that, the table was nasty indeed
nerovipus
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vet. of the weird is cool the only pain is that pesky "what what whaaat!!"
chart you roll on but a templar with a fightin' of 8. Surprised
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerovipus wrote:

Meh. Be a Soldier with Rank 5. Get that fightin' to 10 and earn Templar in play (or take Veteran o' the Wasted West and start as a Templar).
JackJWells
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
nerovipus wrote:

Meh. Be a Soldier with Rank 5. Get that fightin' to 10 and earn Templar in play (or take Veteran o' the Wasted West and start as a Templar).

Your character wouldnt last that long or care by that time in my games, maybe your marshal is a pushover-chip-giver the way you make it sound...
WilyQuixote
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushover-chip-giver Marshal has nothing to do with it. What ValhallaGH is talking about is possible (and legal) for a starting PC right out of the gate. Its all in the Wasted Warriors supplement.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never connected the dots myself, but ya. You could make an ex soldier Templar with fightin' 10. It's gross. But you probably wouldn't have any oher skills. My first character was a Templar with super soldier. He could basically only kill things well.
UndeadParrot
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is still an issue, but anyhow...

ValhallaGH wrote:
For games using the Classic rules:
2) Raising traits for a veteran of the Weird West costs the new die type in points (still have to buy the steps). So taking Deftness from d6 to d10 would cost 8 (d8 ) + 10 (d10) = 18 of the 25 points. Raising the coordination has the same cost (2dx to 4dx will cost 7 points, 3 for 3dx and 4 for 4dx).

I'm afraid the cost as lined out above by ValhallaGH are not quite correct.

First, it's only 15 points. Next, it costs three times the new trait die type in (bounty) points, thus it would cost 24 points to raise a d6 to d8. Similar for coordination: it costs double to increase by a step, so 2dx to 3dx would cost 6 points.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndeadParrot wrote:
I'm afraid the cost as lined out above by ValhallaGH are not quite correct.

Read the whole thread. Then read the edge we're talking about. Razz

This is for the Hell On Earth edge, Veteran o' the Weird West, not the Weird West edge of the same name. See Hell on Earth: The Wasted West around page 12 (book number 6005); the one with Stone gunning down a bunch of deaders on the cover.
UndeadParrot
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, my bad. Embarassed

You're absolutely right, ValhallaGH. While I did read the whole thread, it simply didn't occur to me that they might have changed the cost calculations for raising traits and coordinations, even for such a significant Edge.

Sorry about stating you were not right in the first place. Next time I'll try some research before trying to contribute Sad
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndeadParrot wrote:
Whoops, my bad. Embarassed

Apology accepted. Smile And please, keep contributing. Lord knows I've shot off my mouth with insufficient preparation enough times that I can't hold it against anyone else.

The more people we have around, bouncing ideas around, the better our results will be. And that will generally lead to even more fun at the gaming table. #gunbattle
Mr. Wilson
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Vet o' the Weird West, how harshly do you punish your players for taking it?

Personally, I hate hosing character concepts before the game has even started. I'll redraw Mysterious Backgrounds, Mutations, and regular VoTWastedW draws until I find something appropriate.

I mean, what's the point (and fun) of spending an hour (or longer) making a character only to have random chance at the very end destroy the character concept?

Now, we turn our attention to Weird West vets. On one hand, 25 freebies (plus the generous ability to up dietypes cheaply) is pretty strong. On the other hand, Project Democles (sp?) soldiers end up with an absurd amount of bonus points as well, even taking the auto-hindrances that come with it.

I've only had two players take it and they both drew favorable draws (books not in front of me, but one was the Red Joker and one was an Ace, maybe?), so I didn't really have to crush them for it. Do you let draws fall as they may, or do you soften the blow?

I think I'm a softie in char-gen. In game, well, TPK's in HoE aren't uncommon endings for campaigns.
UndeadParrot
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson wrote:

Personally, I hate hosing character concepts before the game has even started. I'll redraw Mysterious Backgrounds, Mutations, and regular VoTWastedW draws until I find something appropriate.

Same for me. If the draw is crippling a concept, I'll either redraw or modify it a little to make it work, although I'm not hesitant to make it a real nuisance or a bounty point sink.

Once had a Fu Fighter in my group (in Weird West, though) and naturally he drew missing a leg, which he considered quite essential for his fighting style. But instead of forcing him through it (or redrawing), we agreed to let him spend character points on a leg augmentation. Became quite a memorable character this way.

The example above would of course be strictly against the RAW for Veterans of the Weird West in HoE, where it is explicitly stated that the missing limb (or missing eyes) can not be be replaced by cyberware or magic. Don't know what I would do in such a case. Perhaps decide the Veteran status beforehand and develop the character concept afterwards. But that would probably patronize the player too much Confused
Fists-of-Dorn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

I am generally in the camp of "Don't cripple the character concept at generation." I once had a player draw the Black Joker for his Soldier Background, which oddly enough just didn't fit the character description at all- no secret squirrel stuff, no super-soldier serum anywhere in the character's background, and so on. In that instance I merely had him draw again, which resulted in an addiction to alcohol which fit his hard-drinking soldier to a "T".

I have also had players make Mysterious Past/ Arcane Happenin's/ Veteran draws, but not start with them applied to the character. Rather I developed them in play, which is a fun way to stick to the draw without immediately crippling the concept; the player has time to get attached to the character and is more likely to want to grow through the adversity instead of getting peeved with the generation process.

As to the many horrible maiming, blinding, deafening, speech-impairing draws that exist across the different tables, I also look to these as not too permanent. If the player has a good and interesting history which incorporates the affliction as part of a curse, or some such, then I would be amenable to the character being able to eventually work his way out of it. Generally speaking as a long and involved personal quest of sorts. Perhaps a witch cursed the poor sod back in 1894 and here in 2094 he learns the hag is still alive and in the Ouachita swamps of Arkansas (Pirate Kansas as some have called it). Now this harrowed gunslinger decides he is going to go get some revenge and along the way discovers that the witch can actually undo the curse; now he has to either apologize and make amends to her or trick her- either way he's probably going to blast her into the afterlife, but she may not pick up on that. If she does, then the Marshal has a fun distraction for that particular hero in upcoming adventures.

-Fists.
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm no classic expert, but what i've always done is pick the result that goes with their history. for example a character that had watched every one important to her be bloodily murdered in the most terrifying fashion including the kids she was charged to protect then having the shape shifting demons who did the murder imitate the dead children as they came to kill her. she got the bad dream hindrance.
and then there was the ex texas ranger who was retired after getting losing his unit to the black regiment. he got the lame hindrance to show the injuries that he took to get sent home.
now these may be reloaded examples but i'm sure they will still help a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: