Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charisma and Tests of Will

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyTheJanitor
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Charisma and Tests of Will Reply with quote

While doing a search for something completely unrelated I came across this thread. One of the things doppelganger complained about was the ability for a novice character to get a +8 charisma which would make tests of will way too easy.
Quote:
A novice character can get attractive, very attractive, charismatic, snake-oil salesman, and a number of ranks of persuasion. This character can now make a persuasion roll as a test of wills opposed by smarts, and has a total of +8 to the roll. Assuming the character rolls a 2 (the lowest he can do without botching) he gets a 10, which the opponent get to oppose with their smarts (a base stat that CANNOT get bonuses without supernatural aid), and even if they have a d12 their odds of beating this characters lowest possible roll are very low.

Which I thought was incorrect. Tests of will can only be performed using the Taunt and Intimidate skills (SWD pg 76); while charisma only applies to Persuasion and Streetwise (SWD pg 17). Ergo, Charisma doesn't affect tests of will. (EDIT: Unless the character has the Reputation Edge (DLR pg 33). But that requires the character be Veteran)

Am I right about this? I'm pretty sure I am, I just want to make sure, since no one else in that thread pointed it out. Also, when someone bad-mouths a rule system because of an imbalance when the imbalance is being caused by their own lack of understanding / misinterpretation of the rules, that's a bit of a pet peeve for me.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Charisma and Tests of Will Reply with quote

ScruffyTheJanitor wrote:
While doing a search for something completely unrelated I came across this thread. One of the things doppelganger complained about was the ability for a novice character to get a +8 charisma which would make tests of will way too easy.
Quote:
A novice character can get attractive, very attractive, charismatic, snake-oil salesman, and a number of ranks of persuasion. This character can now make a persuasion roll as a test of wills opposed by smarts, and has a total of +8 to the roll. Assuming the character rolls a 2 (the lowest he can do without botching) he gets a 10, which the opponent get to oppose with their smarts (a base stat that CANNOT get bonuses without supernatural aid), and even if they have a d12 their odds of beating this characters lowest possible roll are very low.

Which I thought was incorrect. Tests of will can only be performed using the Taunt and Intimidate skills (SWD pg 76); while charisma only applies to Persuasion and Streetwise (SWD pg 17). Ergo, Charisma doesn't affect tests of will. (EDIT: Unless the character has the Reputation Edge (DLR pg 33). But that requires the character be Veteran)

Am I right about this? I'm pretty sure I am, I just want to make sure, since no one else in that thread pointed it out.

You are correct as far as the core rules go, but that thread was regarding Deadlands Reloaded which has the Snake-Oil Saleman Edge (bolded above) in the setting, allowing using Persuasion for a Test of Wills. There are inaccuracies (the bonus would be +6 not +8, and Smarts can get a bonus to resist any Test of Wills through Strong Willed), but that Edge does allow the use of Persuasion for a Test of Wills.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: