Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fun Encounter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands Noir
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cursingbulldog
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Fun Encounter Reply with quote

Just wanted to say my group and I are reallying enjoying this setting and had a really fun encounter last session.

I was running the Axeman Cometh side quest and the party just figured out what the real cause of the murders was. Party split up to track the thing down, two players going to the police dept. to see if it was in the evidence locker, and one going to the hospital to track down a doctor working the night a body came in. Long story short the lone player confronted the doctor, caused him to transform in to a hulk of a creature and promptly got his butt handed to him.

As the creature was escaping the hospital the other two players arrive and try to confront the creature. However, seeing the beast was quite the frightening occasion and one of the players failed the check so bad they actually had a heart attack and collapsed on the spot, also failing the vigor roll and ending up with only 7 rounds to get medical attention. In the confusion the first player regained his senses enough to follow the creature down stairs and toss a gas bomb on its back nearly burning the hospital down!

The creature now on fire barreled its way out the door smacking the third player twice on its way out dealing a fair amount of damage. The players now let the creature go as they were rather desperate to find help for their rapidly expiring friend, or vacating the area to avoid arrest. Fortunately the group had made a call into the Texas Rangers who had placed a tail on the group. The Rangers quickly followed the beast and took care of business mostly due to running out of time in the session and offered a fat bribe to the group not to speak of the incident, which the reporter in the group promptly ignored which will complicate things in the future.

Alot of fun for all and we got to play with a bunch of new mechanics we haven't needed to use before.
John Goff
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys are having fun with it! I'm running a group through Axeman as a side adventure myself. Wink
cursingbulldog
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we had a lot of fun with this one. The players did spend quite a lot of time tracking down the homeless man who came in the the hospital. So much so that one of them posed as the head of cleaning company trying to get a contract at the mental hospital just to track the guy down before the other players managed to get the information they needed.
barefoottourguide
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group linked thd frimd to the scalpel on thd first night of thd investigation. They were convinced there would be a murder that night and broke into thd surgeons house. I added a subplot shere thd dillitantes sister in law wasvrevealed to be having an affairvwith the surgeon.
Garrett
cursingbulldog
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd continue this post, and I am looking for some others ideas here at the end of this post.

So this I was running the Old Absinthe House and the party was to confront the bayou ranpan for the first time. I thought ok this should be good, some roll play and investigation to start out and then end with a pretty big fight.

However my players decided to throw some kinks in there as they do by throwing out some well timed adventure cards.

First player decides to use the enemy card to give him an extra card draw every game until he defeats his new enemy so I figure why not the ranpan, he’s playing a reporter and bringing in a story on this would be good for his career.

Once we got to the fight another player plays a card allowing them to cast a spell they don't know casting detect arcane or whatever the name of that spell is passing their fear test and pointing out the location of the creature to the others. One player throws a couple of gas bombs dealing a fair bit of damage, catching it on fire, and causing me to use up a couple of bennies. Next the player who played the enemy card grabs a bag of floor from the shack on the creature causing the last 2 players to make fear test, both failing, 1 becoming shaken, the other having a heart attack (3rd session in a row for that one).

Fast forward a bit and they hit the creature for 4 wounds and play their last card stealing the creature’s last bennie before I can spend it to soak. They then make their way out of the swamp rolling the ranpan on the last encounter roll but just managing to slip away.

Now I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with the enemy card cast on the ranpan. Now being good players they should be driven to try to deal with it but if they stay in the city they won't encounter it. Now should I try to take them out of the city often until they deal with it or does anyone have any other ideas to keep the creature relevant?
Donk
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them reason to go back out.

* Use their backgrounds as a hook i.e. the kidnapped sister routine leads them to the swamp

* Give the reporter a story to research on more gas wells being destroyed

* If you can't get them out, get them near the swamp where they hear the "Tick-Tock" of the shark...errr Rampan out to get Hook...errr the reporter

* A voodoo man puts them on the trail of destroying the Rampan before it grows powerful enough to leave the swamp

* Something the reporter really wanted disappeared in the swamp...something personal (an inheritance) or something for a big story (a plane crashed heiress or celebrity)
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ranpan is now the reporter's personal enemy. It wants him particularly (maybe one of his ancestors made a deal with a manitou that leaves the bloodline extra tasty / vulnerable).
So, the ranpan wants to kill him (and he can't soak damage from the ranpan). The swamp monster will try to draw him out, probably using flashy violence to get him to come "investigate" again, and if that doesn't work then it will probably try kidnapping, theft, and eventually targeted murders to get that 'stupid human' back where it can gut him.

Until he resolves that enemy, it should keep bother him. If, like Inigo Montoya, he's on a personal quest of vengeance then all is good; but, if the character isn't motivated to pursue his enemy then his enemy needs to be pursuing him. Not constantly, but often enough to warrant the compensation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands Noir All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: