Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[WOTD] Game Journal - Ongoing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the compliments, Jordan. My whole take on this campaign was VERY heavily influenced by you.

The reason I went with the Seasons, Episode formate (other than the week thing being awkward, especially if it doesn't line up with when you actually get to a given "week") is that most of the group is familiar with The Walking Dead. They can get into seasons and episodes of a zombie tv show because of that.

As for my military knowledge... I have Google. Also, the long-term military player in my group gave me a copy of The Rangers' Handbook. it is indispensable for modern RPG writing. If I get something wrong, or need to know something, he gives the group a mini-lesson on whatever it is.

A few years ago, when we were playing World of Darkness, he brought a freakin' arsenal for "show and tell" so we would be familiar with the actual weapons the characters were handling. He even brought a "Thunder 5" because it was in the Armory book and we didn't believe such a thing existed (a pistol that fires shotgun shells? yeah, right).
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGMiller wrote:
most of the group is familiar with The Walking Dead. They can get into seasons and episodes of a zombie tv show because of that.

Brilliant! Yes, my player-group (such as it is -- it looks like I'm down to only TWO players for the new campaign Sad ) is pretty familiar with that, too.

(I'm a fan of the "Walking Dead" TV show. I've also been reading the graphic novels, and it's been curious to compare the two -- though enough time has passed that I've found my memory of the graphic novels to be not-entirely-reliable. I think in some respects the TV show has actually done better than the graphic novel, for the amount of the story it has covered; it feels as if the characters have been fleshed out a lot more. I also appreciate that there seems -- so far -- to be a lot less of the "characters-shack-up-then-one-dies" cycling as presented in the graphic novels. I hope they skip the Governor; the whole deal with him tries too hard in the graphic novels to be over-the-top "gritty" to the point of ridiculousness at points. And yet I keep reading.)

DGMiller wrote:
As for my military knowledge... I have Google.

Heh. So do I! I just have to know what to read, and what magic keywords to look up. ;D

DGMiller wrote:
A few years ago, when we were playing World of Darkness, he brought a freakin' arsenal for "show and tell" so we would be familiar with the actual weapons the characters were handling. He even brought a "Thunder 5" because it was in the Armory book and we didn't believe such a thing existed (a pistol that fires shotgun shells? yeah, right).

Awesome! I had no idea such a thing existed, either.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Yes, my player-group (such as it is -- it looks like I'm down to only TWO players for the new campaign Sad ) is pretty familiar with that, too.

That stinks. I wish you were in my area. I don't wish I was in your area. My wife used to live in Winter Haven, FL. I never had any desire to move there and she was happy to move north.

Jordan Peacock wrote:
(I'm a fan of the "Walking Dead" TV show. I've also been reading the graphic novels, and it's been curious to compare the two -- though enough time has passed that I've found my memory of the graphic novels to be not-entirely-reliable. I think in some respects the TV show has actually done better than the graphic novel, for the amount of the story it has covered; it feels as if the characters have been fleshed out a lot more. I also appreciate that there seems -- so far -- to be a lot less of the "characters-shack-up-then-one-dies" cycling as presented in the graphic novels. I hope they skip the Governor; the whole deal with him tries too hard in the graphic novels to be over-the-top "gritty" to the point of ridiculousness at points. And yet I keep reading.)

Well, bad news. I know he won't be skipped. I'm re-reading the graphic novels because my memory was completely unreliable on them.

DGMiller wrote:

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Awesome! I had no idea such a thing existed, either.

It is the most ridiculous looking thing. Here's a link to a picture I found online: http://wolfwing9115.deviantart.com/art/Thunder-5-45LC-410-Gauge-213329793
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGMiller wrote:
Well, bad news. I know he won't be skipped.

Well, I hope they do it better, then.

Now, here's one thing my memory is really failing me on. Spoiler-blocked just in CASE someone might be reading this and hasn't read the books / watched the show. (For shame!)

Quote:
I don't recall the visit to the CDC complex in the graphic novels, nor the revelation that "we're all infected already." I'm pretty sure that in the graphic novels, Shane DID NOT get back up as a zombie after being shot; he died under different circumstances, and earlier on, and consequently played a much larger and longer-lasting role in the TV show. Is the "infected already" thing something that was added to the TV show alone? I saw the TV show before I caught up on the rest of the graphic novels, and I was mindful of that particular detail -- but I couldn't find anything that definitively pinned down whether things in the graphic novels worked under the same "Romero" rules (e.g., die for whatever reason, shy of a shot to the head, and you come back as a zombie)

DGMiller wrote:

Re: The shotgun pistol: Well, at least there's no semi-auto version of that, right? Because then I'd have to worry about whether Double-Tap stacks with the +2 bonus to hit with buckshot.

(As it is, I have to worry about those full-auto shotguns -- give one of those things 3RB, and it would suddenly make "streetsweeper" sound like an over-promise by comparison.)
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Now, here's one thing my memory is really failing me on. Spoiler-blocked just in CASE someone might be reading this and hasn't read the books / watched the show. (For shame!)

Cool! Secret conversations. This is just like last night's Deadlands: Reloaded game. Wink

Quote:
They figure it out while at the prison. After the kids get decapitated and come back as zombie heads, Rick digs up Shane and finds that he's zombified as well, despite having been killed by a gunshot to the chest. Rick comes back and announces that everyone is already infected - that "We're the Walking Dead".

Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Secret spoiler quotes deleted.)

Aha. That would explain it. I first saw the series as a comic book series, up until around issue #11 or so, circa 2004, then dropped out, mostly keeping up on some of the details based largely on the COMPLAINTS of a friend who was still keeping up with it. My knowledge of the "Governor" is second-hand, so to speak.

I didn't get back into it until relatively recently, when I started noticing the compilations in book stores a few years ago, which at the time only went back as far as volume 9. (I just checked the Wikipedia article to confirm the numbers -- I certainly didn't have them memorized! -- based on the synopses. Wow. I really DID miss a huge gap in the middle.)
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 1, Episode 8

The cast:
Mike Fulmin - ne'er-do-well misguided youth
Alison Gandry - classically trained ballet dancer
Bryce Winters - succesful businessman, taught karate at the YMCA
Sean MacGregor - professional photographer/cameraman born in Scotland
Thomas Odenson - Marine stationed at Camp LeJeune, on leave
Brooklynn "Brooke" Abrams - spoiled rich kid, socialite and heiress
Thomas "Trip" Gordon - Irish gypsy
Dr. Fabiana Winters - Bryce's wife, a doctor

Notes: With this recap, we are now up-to-date. We were supposed to play tonight, but even with a group as large as this, stuff happens and 4 of my 8 players couldn't make it. Since I have to work a double tomorrow and was going to be a shambler myself from staying up to play tonight, I opted to cancel until next week. For the session I'm recapping here, Bryce's player was the only one not present.

As they set up camp and begin to take stock of their current situation, the group begins to also find out what the people who have been in their care, in some cases since the entire thing began on the cruise ship, are planning to do now that they've reached the Rescue Station. Henry and Eleanor learn that at least one of their children, their daughter Sabrina, has already flown out to one of the Relocation Zones in Colorado. Sabrina's husband, PFC John McCluskey, who was stationed at Camp LeJeune, is still there, hoping to join his wife was soon as he can. He gets his in-laws registered for one of the next flights out of LeJeune. Henry signs over the title of the RV to Bryce, "just in case the government pulls this thing together." Joe Reichert and the wheelchair bound vet from the cruise ship are registered for the same flight out as Henry and Eleanor.

The group also learns that Susan Hartman, the religious cult leader from the cruise ship, arrived successfully with some of her group. The Coast Guard picked them up out of the ocean while they were still making rescue flights up and down the coast. They were brought to LeJeune, where Ms. Hartman was admitted to the post hospital with "mental distress." The marines who've met her describe her as being "crazier than a crap-house rat." The remnants of her congregation have a little tent set up in a corner of the bullpen where they are shunned for their views about the "event." Most of the survivors of "the congregation" queued up for flights and renounced their extreme views, but some have hung on to the only thing they know.

Mike Fulmin tearfully sends his mom on a flight with promises that he will make his way out to Colorado and find her.

Brooke's friends, Lindsey and Amber, have really shut down since this whole thing began. Whether they drug themselves into a nearly catatonic state or just walk around in a state of denial, it amounts to the same thing. Brooke makes sure they are both registered for flights out west. Sarah, on the other hand, is not ready to go. She decides to stand with this group. She was first sexually abused and then scarified by Spiderbait (she now has a spiderweb carved into one side of her face, well done, but rather extreme for a rich, sheltered party girl), and she doesn't see herself fitting in very well in a Relocation Zone just yet. Something inside her has changed... broken perhaps, but she is determined to find her place and not be a victim or shut herself down.

David Norris decides to stay with his friend Trip instead of flying out. Like Trip, he's never found civilization to be all that civilized. He also wants to use his talents as a magician to help any children the group finds. He believes that the future of the world lies with the next generation.

Alison's friend Heidi also stays by her friend's side. The two have been through much together, and Heidi believes that she keeps Alison balanced and focused. Alison leans on her friend for support, yet also provides support to Heidi.

Of the survivors of St. Jude's, Pastor Ray sets about ministering to the entire refugee camp in an unassuming way. He talks to people, but more importantly, he listens. He helps with things that need to be done around various campsites. He brings water to the Marines on patrol. He never forces his faith on others, but is always willing to pray with them if they are ready. The Brooks family gets into the Rescue Station proper, and out of the bullpen, as quickly as possible. They are bumped from several flights and settle in to wait for their plane to carry them west. Timothy Hickman and his daughter Samantha opt to stay with Dr. Winters. She has been an excellent physician for Samantha, and the rest of the group has supported her even when others wanted to shoot first and check her for bites later. Mike Johnson and Zach Shepherd stay with the group. They provide companionship and protection for Pastor Ray and the entire group, even being among the first to volunteer to stand watch at night.

The rest of the surviving refugees of the cruise ship and St. Jude's all go their separate ways, most of them moving into the main Rescue Station and queueing for flights as soon as possible.

Trip immediately finds some good ol' boys with some rotgut and a poker game, which he and David Norris join. They are good card players, but they lose enough to stay welcome at the table and not get shot.

Brooke moves out to a remote corner of the bullpen, near the inner fence. Drugs hold no interest for her anymore. She can't make sense of her visions or her connection with Kimmy Winters and Samantha Hickman. She becomes detached and disinterested in the workings of the camp.

Bryce, sometimes accompanied by Trip, takes to going out hunting and foraging most days, busying himself with providing for others.

Fabiana keeps her profession a secret at first, because a doctor might make a good target for kidnapping, or worse. She takes and maintains an inventory of the group's supplies. One day, when Bryce is out hunting, she seeks out someone to ask them about conditions at the station and find out more about how things are being done here and talks to a strange man whose wife or girlfriend has some nasty bruises on her face.

Thomas reports for duty and learns that the ranks have been decimated at LeJeune, both through casualties and desertion. He learns that the highest ranking NCO of Rescue Station LeJeune is 1st Sgt Hauser. The man is a good organizer and the marines respect him, but he is absolutely overwhelmed, though he keeps that under wraps. He keeps the flights going out regularly, manages communications and defense, coordinates processing of refugees, and supervises a ragtag group of Marines. He also learns that Major Morgan is in command of Camp LeJeune (the whole base, not just the Rescue Station). He is the highest ranking officer remaining. The military has already lost much of the city of Jacksonville and Major Morgan coordinates defense of the facilities and runs sorties into the city itself. He believes he has made a major dent in the number of undead in the city since it fell, and once Thomas arrives and resumes his coordination of the motor pool, more of his artillery and transports become mobile as they are repaired. Unfortunately, all artillery and ammunition is in critically short supply, men are defecting by the day, and morale is extremely low.

Sean MacGregor uses what film he has to document what of the people and situation he can, and then he pitches in to help. He begins to train to get back into combat shape and Thomas gets him into the main Rescue Station, where he trains in fighting these things with the rest of the Marines.

With the help of the group, the residents of the bullpen begin taking more responsibility for their well-being instead of just relying on the Marines and the "government" to keep them safe and provide for them. Anyone who works around the station gets access to medical care from Dr. Winters. They are given a share of supplies and special privileges. More and more of the refugees begin taking a share of the work as the days go by.

On a scavenging trip, Mike discovers a lighted flashing arrow sign in a mostly intact portion of the city only a block from the entrance to the Rescue Station. The sign points to a compound that is brightly lit and protected by a tall chain link fence topped by barbed wire. Marines come and a few refugees come and go from this compound and seem to assist in protecting the place. The sign out front proclaims it to be "Jimmy Cho's - Last Place Still Open! You No Zombie, You Come Eat!" What he finds inside is a bizarre combination of Chinese restaurant, which is what it was before "the event", bar, and strip club. The Marines help Jimmy protect his place because it is the last remnant of the world before everything went to hell. Mike meets the gate guard, Jimmy's grandson Chin Hu, and strikes up a conversation. Chin Hu Cho thinks his grandfather is crazy and it looks to Mike like he is right. Still, the food is not undead, though it is just about anything else Jimmy can get, from Chicken to cat to rat to who knows what else. Nobody seems to care. Jimmy doesn't trade in money anymore, but instead barters his food for things like gasoline for the generators, guard shifts on the fence, cooking and cleaning, "exotic" dancing, and whatever else of use people offer. He is a shrewd businessman, though a little hard of hearing, with poor English skills and a stubborn streak miles wide.

Brooke, Kimmy, and Samantha have several visions while at the station. First, they see huge orange flowers which frighten them. Whenever the visions start, their fevers and flu-like symptoms reappear or get stronger. One night, they hear a voice calling them. It is a male voice in their heads telling them to come to him. Telling them he has food. Fabiana awakes to find Kimmy and Samantha sleepwalking against the wall of the RV. They are just walking in place at a single spot on the wall, clawing at the paneling with their fingernails to try and get out. Brooke wakes to being shouted at by Marines. The patrol has seen her camping there, but in the middle of the night, she starts walking toward the fence, closest to the city. She reaches it and does the same thing Kimmy and Samantha did back in the RV, at the same time. Except, out here, it almost gets Brooke shot. Once she starts talking, the Marines stand down and she retreats to the RV, staying in camp from now on. The final vision they have at the station is of a green hawk/dragon diving from the sky at them, spitting fire and reaching for them with its fierce talons.

Dr. Winters learns from a visit to the Medical Center inside the main Rescue Station that the condition that inflicts her daughter, as well as Samantha and Brooke, could be a strain of the "Z-Virus." She is extremely judicious in learning information without sharing information about her patients. She learns that if anyone shows signs of this, they are taken to a research facility for further study. She vows that this won't happen to her daughter.

After about five days at the station, Zack calls to Trip's attention that a guy has been hanging around outside their camp. Whenever Zack goes to approach him, the guy just melts into the surrounding campsites and disappears. Last night, Zack followed him enough to see where he was camping, and he points it out to Trip. Trip decides to make an example out of this guy and hatches a plan to wait until nightfall and if the guys is hanging around the camp, just molotov the crap out of him without regard for surrounding campsites or refugees. He warns Thomas that there will likely be a disturbance that night and asks him to have the guards not respond right away. Thomas, wondering just what the hell is going on, goes to the camp to get to the bottom of things.

Meanwhile, through talking to Zach and finding the guy's campsite, Fabiana and Brooke figure out that the man who has been watching their campsite is most likely the same man that talked to Fabiana a few days earlier, the one whose female companion had a bruised face. Brooke decides to go talk to him just as Thomas arrives to find out what's going on. He and Brooke argue about her plan. Thomas wants to confront the man in force. Trip wants to firebomb him at night. Brooke is adamant about her decision and will not be swayed. Trip and Mike go out to sneak around the camp, casing his campsite and talking to those who camp near him. His "neighbors" tell that a few nights ago, the man's female companion went into the tent at night and nobody has seen her since.

Brooke approaches the man at his camp site and begins talking to him. She is playing the part of the "lonely, curious female" survivor. Thomas and Bryce are hanging just out of sight. He takes the bait, and the two of them go for a walk, while his campsite is entered and his tent searched. A slit is found in the bottom of his tent. Underneath it is recently turned earth and a rank smell. Digging under the tent is rewarded with a piece of cloth wrapped around a pair of dismembered hands, quite dead. More digging unearths more of the woman's body, shallowly buried under the tent. Finally, a plastic bag is unearthed that contains the woman's head, which has now animated and begins trying to find warm flesh with its teeth once free from the dirt. The head is placed in a cooler. Mike warns Thomas, who begins closing on Brooke and the man.

The creepy guy with the body parts under his tent makes plans to leave the Rescue Station with Brooke as soon as they can get their things packed. The two part, and Thomas confronts the man, who crumbles, admits to the murder, which he committed "because his mother told him to do it" and is taken into custody. He had to put his mother down after she became one of the shambling creatures, but she continues to fill this man's mind, talking to him, telling him to do things, unspeakable things. He met the woman on the road and they traveled together until his mother's voice, subdued for a while be the companionship, returned and told him to kill the woman.

The body parts are given to the Marines to dispose of, while Thomas takes the man into custody and he is confined in the Brig on Camp LeJeune. Trip is unhinged by what this man has done. He was face to face with the re-animated head of the murdered woman and it changed him. He withdraws into the camp and tries to come to terms with what he has seen and what it means.

That night, the Marines' forward scouts spot a large number of the things moving out of the ruins of Jacksonville towards Rescue Station LeJeune.

To be continued...
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGMiller wrote:
The group also learns that Susan Hartman, the religious cult leader from the cruise ship, arrived successfully with some of her group. The Coast Guard picked them up out of the ocean while they were still making rescue flights up and down the coast. (...)

Haw! Interesting little follow-up there. Very Happy

DGMiller wrote:
Trip decides to make an example out of this guy and hatches a plan to wait until nightfall and if the guys is hanging around the camp, just molotov the crap out of him without regard for surrounding campsites or refugees.

Gyah. Reminds me of the "grenade in the gun shop" incident in my own campaign. Never mind that blast radius! Looks like it was averted, though.

I'm curious about the green hawk/dragon imagery. Was there any particular choice behind that imagery?

When I subjected our party's "psychic" / Danger Sense character to such things, my rationale was that it would either be in Biblical/apocalyptic imagery -- befitting the mindset of the priest on the receiving end -- or in "toy" imagery -- befitting the mindset of the child "General" I invented for the siege on Jacksonville ... before I learned MUCH LATER ON in the campaign that the "Generals" are supposed to be made by artificial and specific means. Sad Oops.

(Early on, I had been under the mistaken impression that Generals were "rare," but in the sense that you might find a horde of zombies and one leading them. It would've been nice to get the heads-up earlier in the GM's material.)
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, DGMiller, (or anyone else who could answer the question)

I just started reading this thread so if my question has already been asked and answered please forgive me.

Early in this thread you said -
"I actually did some research on "hit location" dice. There are several brands with varying degrees of quality. I found one that had what I felt was the best balance of locations, and actually matched a white pearlized set of dice I own (this is important!). It's a d12 with multiple torso results, along with each arm/hand and leg/foot."

Who put out that die? Do you have a link to it?
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
I'm curious about the green hawk/dragon imagery. Was there any particular choice behind that imagery?

When I subjected our party's "psychic" / Danger Sense character to such things, my rationale was that it would either be in Biblical/apocalyptic imagery -- befitting the mindset of the priest on the receiving end -- or in "toy" imagery -- befitting the mindset of the child "General" I invented for the siege on Jacksonville ... before I learned MUCH LATER ON in the campaign that the "Generals" are supposed to be made by artificial and specific means. Sad Oops.

(Early on, I had been under the mistaken impression that Generals were "rare," but in the sense that you might find a horde of zombies and one leading them. It would've been nice to get the heads-up earlier in the GM's material.)

The short answer with the imagery is that I've been winging it. The orange bird seen a few episodes ago was the Coast Guard helicopter. The orange flowers seen last week are from the last ditch shelling of Jacksonville that is about to ensue. The green hawk (as I originally described it to Brooke's player and Fabiana's player) is the military gunship that will descend on them after they flee the Rescue Station. When I described it breathing fire, the players said, "Like a dragon?" so I went with it.

As far as the Generals and how they come about, who says that there can ONLY be ONE way to create a General? My idea about the General in play here is that it is Breckenridge. Since they brought him back to the mainland and he escaped, I really wanted to add him to the mix. Besides, who's to say he didn't have ties to UniMed or other shadowy organizations in the first place?
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
Hey, DGMiller, (or anyone else who could answer the question)

I just started reading this thread so if my question has already been asked and answered please forgive me.

Early in this thread you said -
"I actually did some research on "hit location" dice. There are several brands with varying degrees of quality. I found one that had what I felt was the best balance of locations, and actually matched a white pearlized set of dice I own (this is important!). It's a d12 with multiple torso results, along with each arm/hand and leg/foot."

Who put out that die? Do you have a link to it?

I'm not sure who manufactured that die, but you can purchase it in a set of 7 of them of varying colors (though the pearlized die is slightly higher in quality and I don't use any of the other colors) on Ebay from Mostly Dice Store for $7.25 plus $2.65 shipping. Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPG-Hit-Location-Target-Dice-Set-D12-7pc-22mm-/190733172706?pt=Games_US&hash=item2c68953fe2

I hope that helps! Very Happy
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 1, Episode 9

The cast:

Notes: This week's game was so incredibly close to not happening that I didn't know if we'd be playing until a few minutes before we started. I was actually pretty sure we were just getting together for board games or something, because players were bailing left and right. In the end, we were only missing Mike, Alison, and Sean's players. Everybody else ended up showing up after all.

Ever since digging up the remains of the girl who was killed at the rescue station, Trip seemed to have sobered himself into a listless stupor. He'd refused the rotgut his poker buddies offered him and had stayed in the RV for 2 straight days. When he finally stepped outside the door and set his foot on the ground, there were murmurs about the bullpen that the dead things were massing on the outskirts of the ruined city.

Major Morgan and the Marines of LeJeune pounded them with what ordnance they had left, but the sheer numbers massing and moving toward the rescue station were overwhelming. Worse than the numbers was that now, it seemed they were moving with some semblance of tactics. When the things came to a pit that had been dug to protect the station, Those things in front walked right into it until they piled up high enough for the rest to walk right across. Also, the mass of slow shamblers seemed to be a diversion for the fast ones. Those came into the camp through the old post housing and tore through the survivors there, spreading death and confusion. Leaving more of the things behind wherever they went. Their high-pitched keening that seemed to serve as their "moan" was unnerving.

As the group prepared the best of their vehicles (the RV, the delivery van, the two station wagons, and Trip's pickup truck), Dr. Winters discovered that her daughter, Kimmy, along with Samantha and Brooke, were all catatonic. They were murmuring quietly to themselves. The fever was back.

Around the bullpen, scared survivors were planning to make a break for it. As the first of the things broke through, a the gate was opened, and the convoy prepared to move out. The RV was the first to the gate. Just as it cleared the gate a group of Marines, barely in uniform, approached it and one of them pounded on the door, yelling for them to open it. Bryce, at the wheel, told him they had to jump in the back of the next vehicle in line, the delivery van. Unimpressed, the Marine raised his M-16 and ordered Bryce to let them aboard. Bryce gunned the engine and the lumbering RV lurched forward. Pounding on the RV one more time, the Marine opened fire, tearing a ragged line of holes in the side of the thing. Nobody within was injured, thankfully.

With the RV safely past, the Marine turned his attention to the delivery van. Mike Fulmin had seen him shoot up the RV and wasn't about to take any chances. He gunned the engine even as the Marine stepped in front of the truck with his gun pointed at the windshield, ducking as he accelerated towards him. A few bullets hit the front of the van right before Mike ran the Marine down, his two companions taking off for easier rides.

Not far from the station, a horde of several hundred of the things was blocking the road. Bryce was pretty sure they wouldn't be a match for the plow on the front of the RV, but just in case, Tim Hickman opened the front passenger window and tossed a Molotov cocktail into the horde with astounding accuracy. The RV plunged through the now flaming horde with relative ease. It wasn't a comfortable ride, but the plow did its job.

A few miles down the road, the vehicles rocked as a trio of low-flying jets streaked overhead. As they passed over the vicinity of LeJeune, the sky opened up and huge orange flowers of flame bloomed over the doomed camp. Order 37 was being enacted. The Marines were fire-bombing their own base. Bryce and Fabiana remembered the vision of huge, scary orange flowers Kimmy and Samatha had talked about several days ago.

About 30 miles out of Jacksonville, the group finally began to relax a bit. The road was relatively clear, compared to most they'd traveled, and there didn't seem to be many of the things around. They were on a smooth, straight stretch when the Apache gunship sputtered over the horizon. It was low to the ground and swaying from side to side. Flames were shooting out of one side and the engine was screaming. It turned over onto its side and seemed to hang there for a second before slamming into the asphalt in front of the RV.

It was a small miracle Bryce kept the thing from rolling over or sliding into a ditch. Pieces of wreckage whizzed by like cannon balls. Flames shot around the RV, but Bryce got it clear. Before it slid to a stop, tires destroyed, the undercarriage torn up pretty good. Behind the RV, Mike fought the delivery van something fierce. A gear of some kind embedded itself in the windshield, sending a spider web of cracks across Mike's view. Still, he kept it upright. He couldn't tell what it was, but a huge piece of the Apache bounced just to the right of the delivery van, trailing fire. Mike's tires were toast, and the radiator was busted, but he was alive. The third vehicle in the convoy wasn't so fortunate. Mike Johnson was an excellent driver, but he lost control a bit trying to avoid pieces of smoldering wreckage and got the wagon sideways, tipping it up on two wheels. Just as it started to settle back to earth, the huge chunk of flaming debris that bounced past Mike Fulmin slammed into the side of the wagon, sending it back into the air. When it slammed back to the ground, the whole thing burst into flames with Mike, Zack, and Pastor Ray inside. Alison, driving the second station wagon, just behind the doomed vehicle, executed a brilliant powerslide and flowed around the tumbling wreck, avoiding any damage. Trip's truck fishtailed wildly before Trip got her back under control, the refugees crowded into the back hanging on for their lives. He lost all four tires, but that seemed to be the extent of his damage. Finally, Thomas, along with 1st Sgt Hauser and three other Marines from the motor pool, managed to avoid the worst of the wreckage and come to a safe stop on the shoulder.

As the group stumbled out of their vehicles, they saw the top half of a Marine, his pilot's suit writhing with flames, crawling towards them. They were going to leave it be, but Trip suggested that it might inform whatever hive mind these things seemed to be developing exactly where they were. It was dispatched with a bullet to the head.

The group had already noticed the road branching off to the left, and were assessing their damaged vehicles, when four pickup trucks, with crude armor attached, bounced into view. They stopped a few yards away, and the driver of the first one got out, identifying himself as John Myers. He offered to take the group to their town, Pink Hill, NC. They were hooking up some of their disabled vehicles to be towed to town, when a group of over a dozen shamblers came into view on the opposite side of the road. Trip softened them up with a few more molotov cocktails, while Mike, Bryce, and one of the town men, took them down. The rest of the men hooked up the vehicles.

As they prepared to accompany the men to their town, Trip and several others noted that the men didn't seem to trust Thomas, Hauser, and the other Marines. When they arrived at the town, they found a fortress out of some Road Warrior movie, with a solid wall consisting of trucks, busses, cars, parts of sheds and trailers, and everything else surrounding an approximately 4 block x 4 block area. As they approached, the truck that served as a gate raised its ground plates and drove out of the way long enough for them to pass. Men with guns lined the walls.

John Myers drove the caravan to a stop in front of the town doctor's office where Fabiana and the others met Dr. Lewis and together examined the group for bites. Dr. Lewis was extra thorough with the three who had fevers, but after a close examination, concluded that they really only likely had some type of flu and nothing more, likely due to them being either children or, in Brooke's case, of very slight build, and worn out by all they had been through, which had weakened their immune systems. They also met the doc's brother, Mayor John Lewis, who recommended they visit the diner and find some place to sleep.

Trip and Brooke wandered around town separately, with Brooke avoiding local residents, and Trip seeking to interact with them. Trip learned much about the town before heading to the diner to meet up with the others, including the communal structure where everyone worked in an appropriate job beneficial to the community, and everyone received the necessities in return. Thomas and the Marines went straight to the garage to work on their vehicles. Mayor lewis eventually went to greet the Marines and ask them the state of he US Military. Thomas told him that for all they knew, the 5 of them WERE the US Military. Mayor Lewis asked if any of them could take a look at their generator station for the town to make it more efficient and they sent one of the Marines to take a look at it. Eventually, most of the group fell asleep in the garage and slept until about after night had fallen. Trip slept under a tree in a secluded spot.

After dark, as the group was waking up, Mayor Lewis came to the garage and told them about a town meeting. He encouraged them to attend, since the meeting, he admitted, would be mostly about them. He wanted everyone to get a chance to meet them and hear their story. Trip saw people walking in groups as he awoke, and inquired where everyone was going. He was told about the meeting as well, and everybody began to make their way to the town school's auditorium.

To be continued...
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 1, Episode 10

The cast:

Supporting Cast (NPC's):
Timothy Hickman - former high school science teacher
Samantha Hickman - Tim's daughter from his previous marriage
David Norris - former ship's crew, magician, card player
Heidi Simpleton - Alison's best friend
Sarah Sherman - Brooke's friend, disfigured by Spiderbait
1st Sgt Jake Hauser - Marine survivor of Rescue Station LeJeune
Sarah Beth Lawson - Thomas' girlfriend
Jessica Winters - Bryce's younger sister
Kimmy Winters - Bryce and Fabiana's daughter

Notes: For this session, we were missing Sean's and Bryce's players. I decided to outline the NPC's under player control since this is the first time there have been less than a dozen of them in a long time.

The group arrived in the school auditorium for the town meeting and joined what looked to be the entire town in the dimly lit auditorium for the weekly town meeting of Pink Hill, NC.

Mayor Lewis stepped up to the podium and called the meeting to order. He first dispensed with the mundane business of the town, like the patrol reports, the state of the town's defenses, the fuel supply, and other concerns before moving on to the topic everyone was obviously waiting to hear... the group of new arrivals.

After a brief introduction, Mayor Lewis handed the microphone to Trip, with a short preface on what the town was going to want to hear. Trip talked briefly about what he did before the outbreak, then at length about the group's experiences since. He introduced everyone in the group and gave them all the opportunity to speak for themselves, though few did. 1st Sgt Hauser spoke for the Marines, briefly retelling the Battle of Jacksonville and the fall of the rescue station. Tim Hickman told of his escape from Greenville, NC and how the Marines had blocked the bridge over the Neuse River, preventing the refugees from entering New Bern. As the things grew in number and started attacking the refugees as a horde, the Marines pulled back across the bridge, still leaving the refugees to be savaged by the horde when they blew the bridge. He then told of their subsequent escape and arrival at St. Jude's Church and rescue by this group of people, including the Marine, Thomas Odenson, who risked his life at the church to get the RV there and get them out. He also told of how Trip and Mike had uncovered a killer at the rescue station and how Thomas had arrested them and acted to protect people.

After the group finished telling their story, the audience was able to ask a few questions. Several questions were about the fate of the bikers and the horde that had attacked Jacksonville. Then, the group was asked what skills they had that may be of use to the town.

As the meeting broke up, Mayor Lewis told the group where to find Ken's Place, the local bar, along with the clothing store, the diner, and other important places in town. He also told them to gather volunteers from among their number that would be going out on patrol in about 2 hours.

During the two hours before the patrol, Trip visited Ken at his bar to work out the details of building the town a still to make their own liquor. Mike, Alison, and Heidi visited the clothing shop where Mary told Alison about her idea to hold a fashion show to raise morale in town. Dr. Winters went to Dr. Lewis' office and met Ann, the nurse. The two of them chatted for a while about what types of things the doctor treated and Dr. Winters decided to keep hours in the office to help the town.

Near the end of the meeting, 1st Sgt Hauser and Thomas noticed that one of the three Marines who had come to town with them was missing. He was the one who had gone to check out the generators before the meeting, at the mayor's request. The two of them, along with Brooke, searched the generator enclosure and the nearby areas for their missing man. Finally they found a guard coming off barricade duty who said he had seen their man climb the wall on the north side of town and bolt off away from town to the north. This was not the first man to desert, they reasoned, and it likely wouldn't be the last.

When it was time for the patrol to gather, Bryce, Trip, Thomas, Hauser, Brooke, and Alison set off with John Myers, the town patrol captain, and three other men from town. They walked an easy route from the town, punctuated by one of the town men taking verbal potshots at the Marines, Hauser occasionally going back at him and Myers telling them all to shut up. After about 30 minutes on patrol, Trip became aware of a slight rumbling sensation underfoot, which intensified into the sound of engines. Trip raised the binoculars to find a military convoy approaching. The convoy, consisting of 3 Humvees and 2 personnel carriers, was a group of Marines from LeJeune.

Thomas and Hauser stepped forward to greet their fellow Marines. The convoy commander turned out to be none other than Major Morgan, post commander from LeJeune. This, he said, was all the Marines he could organize into a retreat from the doomed place.

When Major Morgan asked where they were holed up, Thomas told him it would be best for Morgan and his men to avoid the town, but Morgan was not to be swayed. His men were fatigued and needed rest. As a compromise, Thomas, Hauser, and Major Morgan walked to town, accompanied by the townie who had been verbally sparring with Hauser. The rest of the group would take the remaining convoy out on patrol, with Myers and Trip in charge.

When they arrived in town, an altercation quickly erupted between Major Morgan and Mayor Lewis. The mayor did NOT want the Marines in his town. The Major insisted that he was not leaving his men out there to die. The yelling match soon attracted a crowd, mostly sympathetic to the mayor. Mike and Fabiana were among the crowd, as Fabiana was roused from the doctor's office by the sound.

Finally, Fabiana worked her way forward and, with help from Thomas, worked out a compromise. The Marines would assist with guarding the town, take nothing at all from the town, and the mayor would give them 12 hours to rest before sending them back out. During the altercation several of the mayor's men had drawn their guns on Thomas, Morgan and Hauser, looking for an excuse to fire.

As the group disbursed, Mike, who had taken some of the Vicodin Brooke gave him, decided to follow the mayor and his men. They led him to the back of an abandoned business building. The windows were painted black and there were guards posted outside. Mike snuck up behind a nearby dumpster, close enough to hear snippets of conversation from inside. The mayor was still furious. He was saying things about getting the military out of here as soon as possible and not wanting the military to find out.

After the meeting ended, Mike waited for the guards to leave before picking the lock and entering the building. He found the back room of the business set up like a meeting room. It was very sparse, with a large map on the wall of about a 30 mile radius around the town. The town's barricades were marked on the map in black Sharpie, along with barricades around another nearby town, Beulahville, but that town had a big black "X" through it. All of the patrol routes were marked on the map. Only one patrol route went anywhere near Beulahville. After looking around and finding nothing else of interest and no way to copy the map, Mike removed it from the wall, taking it back to the garage where the RV was being repaired.

Hauser and Thomas used the radio in their Humvee in the garage to contact the convoy on patrol and summon them to the town to be checked for bites. Dr. Lewis and Dr. Winters worked together to check everyone. While working with Ann, the nurse, and Dr. Lewis, Fabiana learned that Dr. Lewis worked for the government at a research lab somewhere in Washington in the Pacific Northwest. According to his accounts, the early strains of the "Z-Virus" came back with soldiers in the operation Desert Storm back in the early 1990's. The government covered up the minor outbreak and used "Gulf War Syndrome" to cover their tracks. He claims he saw samples in the lab after that time. Dr. Lewis told Fabiana that he tried to warn people about the dangers of the virus, but nobody would listen to him, so he left his post about 5 years ago and got as far away from the lab as possible, becoming a small town doctor in North Carolina. He has continued to deeply distrust the government.

She also learned that the doctor's brother was living in nearby Beulahville, NC until the outbreak. After things fell apart, he came to Pink Hill and the two brothers were ruthlessly efficient and methodical in stopping the virus in Pink Hill. The town was mobilized and anyone who was bitten was cured with a bullet to the head. Not everyone in town agreed with these methods, but the disease was stopped and Pink Hill was saved from destruction. During the first 24 hours of the outbreak, the town's previous mayor was one of the casualties, so at the first of the town's weekly meetings after the outbreak, the town elected John Lewis as its new mayor.

After learning the reason for the doctor's distrust of the government, Fabiana confided in Dr. Lewis that they may have some people with the group who may be immune to the virus. Dr. Lewis assured her that nobody was immune and that the three individuals in the group who had fevers and flu-like symptoms may have contracted a strain of the virus that had mutated off of the main strain and become no worse than a standard influenza strain. That didn't mean they were immune.

Mike arrived at the RV with the map, which Sean photographed in detail before Mike snuck back into the building and put it back on the wall.

trip went out to scope out that area of town and ran into a group of Marines, likely drunk, involved in an altercation with a group of townies, also likely drunk. As the war of words escalated, guns were drawn. Trip quickly stripped naked and walked into the middle of the group, acting outrageous and making comments and kissing faces as the men. This broke up the fracas and, as Trip went back to his clothes and began dressing, we was approached by the town sheriff.

Sheriff Wilson thanked Trip for breaking up a potential gun battle in the middle of town. He also informed Trip that there had been another disagreement between Major Morgan and Mayor Lewis about the Marines' role in guarding the town while they were here. Sheriff Wilson informed Trip that he would be informing both parties that Trip would be leading the morning patrol with 3 Marines and 3 townies, and as many non-military members of his own group as he wanted. This would get him out of town for a bit, especially when the redneck townies decided the naked drunk might have been coming onto them and started looking to lynch him for his gender tendencies. Also, he seemed to be the only one crazy enough to maybe get the two groups to play nice for a few hours.

To be continued...
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having to skip last week, the group got together and played Episode 11 tonight. After the last episode, the group was joking that the producers blew their special effects budget on the siege and fall of Jacksonville/Camp Lejeune. I told them they had to save what was left of it for the final 2 episodes of the season. Tonight, they experienced the approaching zombie hoard, and the raid at Home Depot, complete with a huge battle (the first direct combat they've been involved in since the fight at the church, and the first the whole group has been a part of since they served as a diversion for Hell's bikers... actually, it was the biggest fight since the cruise ship).

I'll try to have my report posted by Monday night.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 1, Episode 11

The cast:
Mike Fulmin - ne'er do well misguided youth
Bryce Winters - successful businessman, taught karate at the YMCA
Thomas Odenson - Marine stationed at Camp LeJeune
Brooklynn "Brooke" Abrams - spoiled rich socialite
Thomas "Trip" Gordon - Irish Gypsy
Dr. Fabiana Winters - Bryce's wife, a doctor originally from South America

Note: The players of "Trip" Gordon, Fabiana Winters, and Sean MacGregor were not present.

"Trip" returned to the garage to tell the group about the task the sheriff gave him. Before he could make a selection, one of the Marines who came to town with Major Morgan paid a visit to the garage. He introduced himself to the group as Corporal John McCutcheon. Some members of the group got to meet him briefly back at Rescue Station LeJeune. Corporal McCutcheon thanked the group again for taking care of his mother and father in-law, Henry and Eleanor Stevenson. McCutcheon's wife and in-laws boarded planes for Colorado's "Relocation Zones" from LeJeune.

Trip didn't deliberate much before making a selection. From the Marines, he chose Gny Sgt Thomas Odenson, Cpl John McCutcheon, and 1st Sgt Jake Hauser. From the townies, he chose John Myers, Greg (the guy who seemed to be the most staunch anti-military guy in the town militia), and a guy everyone called "Red" (because of the color shirts he always seemed to wear). Accompanying them would be Trip himself, Mike Fulmin, Bryce Winters, Alison Gandry, and Brooke Abrams.

The patrol, which was on foot, wound their set route out from the town. Greg heckled the Marines for not taking point at first, with Hauser reminding him that the townies knew the land better than them. Finally, the Marines got sick of the jawing, which Myers tried half-heartedly to control, and took point. Eventually, Myers directed them to the hill outside of town where the broadcast towers for the local radio and television stations were set up. From the top of the hill, Mike Fulmin scanned the countryside with his night vision goggles, as the sun was not quite up yet. In the distance, the soft glow of Jacksonville's fires could be seen in the east. Against that glow, Mike could make out something moving in the extreme distance, but could not tell what it was. Make asked for Bryce's rifle to use the goggles through the rifle scope, but Bryce, not trusting Mike after his poor decisions back at St. Jude's, wouldn't hand it to him. Instead, Mike passed the goggles to Bryce, who still couldn't tell what it was exactly, but that it seemed to be a large mass of people moving along the main road. They decided the wait on the hilltop until sunrise. They sent Red, Brooke, and Hauser back to alert Major Morgan.

Once the sun got far enough above the horizon that they weren't looking directly into it, Bryce used the rifle scope to determine that it was indeed a large group of people, but these people weren't refugees. The mass coming towards them was likely upwards of a thousand or so of the walkers. Most of them were shambling, but there were fast-moving ones darting around the slower ones, still keeping pace with the horde. Making their way back to town, the group encountered Major Morgan, who insisted on seeing the approaching horde for himself. Upon seeing the horde, Morgan started calculating possible courses of action. Even though the people of Pink Hill didn't seem to want his men here, he still felt a duty to protect these people. Stinging from the loss of Jacksonville and Rescue Station LeJeune, he didn't want to let these people die.

The patrol rushed back to town, where they sought out Mayor Lewis. After checking the Town Hall, the doctor's office, and even the "secret meeting" building, they finally asked Ken at the bar. Ken told them the mayor was eating breakfast at the diner. Brooke and Trip arrived at the diner to find it closed and under guard. Telling the guards they had important information for Mayor Lewis, they were quickly escorted into the building to find Mayor Lewis and his brother eating a sumptuous breakfast of steak and eggs. Trip, sitting across from the mayor, immediately ordered the same thing they were having, with a plate of the same for Brooke as well, to "put some meat on her bones." The governor, not impressed, asked their important news. Brooke and Trip filled in the details about the approaching undead horde. Mayor Lewis stood up, pale, asking pertinent questions and clarifying details. He knew that there would be no way to evacuate the town before the horde arrived. There was not enough fuel nor enough working vehicles to get the residents to safety. He immediately decided that his best bet was to fortify the town. Mayor Lewis immediately began giving orders to his men, sending them to call a town meeting and telling one to get Fred, the owner of the local hardware store. Finally, he turned to Brooke and Trip and asked them a favor. He acknowledged that they didn't have to do this, but that it would still take a few hours at best to get some of their vehicles repaired, so he would give them 4 of the town militia and 4 of the patrol trucks to go to the nearby town of Beulahville and raid an intact Home Depot for needed supplies to defend the town. Before Trip could say anything, Brooke enthusiastically agreed to the expedition, and set off for the garage to tell the others, leaving Trip just shaking his head and following behind her.

Back at the garage, word of an intact Home Depot excited Thomas and Bryce. They immediately started making a list of the supplies they wanted. Thomas decided to take the Humvee he and Hauser brought from LeJeune in addition to the 4 trucks. They decided that, in addition to the 4 townies, Bryce, Brooke, Mike, Alison, and Thomas would be going on the supply run. They would leave Trip, who has decent repair skills, along with the other Marine from the motor pool to continue vehicle repairs. The remaining Marines were out helping make plans and strengthen the town's fortifications. Fabiana went to help set up Doctor Lewis' office as a trauma center for the inevitable battle ahead.

While the raid group prepared to leave, Timothy Hickman approached Bryce about the events of the morning. He heard that the group was planning to leave. He told Bryce that he wanted Samantha to live a normal life and not always be on the run. In an emotional conversation, Bryce reassures Tim that they will eventually be able to stop running, but only after they got to a safe area farther west that was not as heavily populated. Tim finally pulled himself together and went back to gather his and Samantha's things.

The group arrived at Beulahville and got their first look at the town that was blacked out on the map Mike found. The town was fortified much like Pink Hill, but with a tall chain link fence inside the wall of vehicles and makeshift barricades. Inside that chain link fence they saw heaps of bodies, with dried blood spattered all over the fence. The place had turned into a death trap once the things got into the town. They heard the living dead before they saw them, but not by much. There were dozens of the shamblers visible, their moans echoing off the buildings, with the high pitched screams of the runners punctuating the cacophony.

Adjacent to the fence around Beulahville they could see the Home Depot. A tall fence surrounded the building, the gate padlocked. The doors of the store were covered with plywood and chained shut, secured by another padlock. Across the street from the Home Depot, the group saw a long warehouse building with a guard post in the parking lot. The townies with the group greeted the guards, explaining to the group that these were men from Pink Hill, guarding Beulahville and the Home Depot. The guards let them know that they would be available to reinforce the town if needed. The town men unlocked the fence and the patrol trucks backed up to the front of the store. Thomas parked the Humvee in front of the doors, and the townie unlocked the padlock.

Once inside the store, the group split into three smaller groups. The first group, with Thomas, Brooke, and a townie, went to the right, towards the tools and generators. The second group, with Mike, Alison, and a townie went towards the supplies the town needed to reinforce their defenses. The third group, with Bryce and two townies, went after the flashlights and first aid kits. They could see footprints of at least a few of the things inside here, disturbing the blanket of dust that coated everything.

As Thomas' group approached the tool area, a man in his 40's turned the corner out of the tool area. In the light of the townie's flashlight, they could see that his nose was missing and his left eye, rotting, was hanging on his cheek. Thomas aimed and squeezed the trigger, the gunshot echoing through the metal building. The thing went down immediately, its head burst open from the bullet. As the echo of the shot faded, it was replaced by the sound of moans, punctuated by the higher pitched screams of runners, and a blood-curdling sound that can only be described as a mixture between a crying child and an injured cat. Mike remembered that sound and his blood froze.

On the heels of the moaning, the things could be seen approaching from the rear of the store. The runners were in the lead, with the shamblers following behind. A couple of tiny running bodies could be seen darting between the legs of the other things. Thomas' group began to back up, while Bryce's group held their ground. Mike's group moved back toward the exit, except Mike. He climbed the shelves and set up a sniper's nest on the top shelf to pick the things off with their rifle.

Soon, there were more than three dozen of the things moving toward them. They began to fight their way back to the exit. Mike began picking some of the fast ones off with the rifle, which Bryce had traded him for a crossbow. One of the townies went down under the assault, clawed and bitten. The group continued to back up, leaving the man writhing under a horde of the things. The rest of the group moved back to the exit, taking a stand in front of the doors. A man ran into the store from outside. Nobody had ever seen him before. He was wildly swinging a 2x4, likely looking to loot something from the now open store, but quickly finding himself fighting for his life.

Thomas and Brooke ran outside and jumped into the Humvee, with Brooke behind the wheel and Thomas manning the .50 cal on top. Brooke gunned it toward the front door, crashing through. Bryce and two surviving townies made it out just in time. The Humvee crashed into the front door area, sending pieces all over the area and crushing one of the baby-things under the wheels. Alison and the stranger fought a line of the things right in front of where the Humvee came to a rest. As the stranger goes down, Alison executed a masterful backflip onto the hood of the RV and climbed up over the vehicle as Thomas began to open fire with the machine gun.

Finally, everyone was out of the building, except Mike. Seeing himself cut off by the things swarming the Humvee and snacking on the two men that had gone down, Mike began to retreat toward the rear of the store, looking for another way out. Thomas, looking for a way to get Mike out, pulled the pin on a grenade and tossed it in front of the Humvee as Brooke slammed it into reverse and backed out of the store. The grenade blast sent body parts flying, tearing a number of the things apart.Seeing the explosion, Mike began to systematically take out the remaining things with his rifle, shooting each one in the head.

With all of the things dispatched, the group gathered their supplies, filling the patrol trucks and the back of the Humvee. Mike moved toward the loading dock in the back of the store, looking for a delivery truck to load additional supplies. What he found froze him in his tracks. In the loading dock area of back of the store, the things had built a nest. Lots of the cardboard boxes and shipping materials were shredded and arranged into a crude nest. This was definitely new behavior for these things.

The encounter in the Home Depot had chilled the group, but the supplies were gathered and loaded, and the group hurried back to Pink Hill.

To be continued...
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
(Secret spoiler quotes deleted.)

Aha. That would explain it. I first saw the series as a comic book series, up until around issue #11 or so, circa 2004, then dropped out, mostly keeping up on some of the details based largely on the COMPLAINTS of a friend who was still keeping up with it. My knowledge of the "Governor" is second-hand, so to speak.

I didn't get back into it until relatively recently, when I started noticing the compilations in book stores a few years ago, which at the time only went back as far as volume 9. (I just checked the Wikipedia article to confirm the numbers -- I certainly didn't have them memorized! -- based on the synopses. Wow. I really DID miss a huge gap in the middle.)

The actor playing The Governor in the TV show says he based the character off the version in the novel, and didn't read the graphic novels until a bit more into shooting.

He's only been in one episode so far, but I don't even see him as a version of the novelization back story. Maybe that will become a bit more obvious to those of us that know all that story as the season progresses *shrug*.

To be honest, I like The Governor in the show, even after one episode, more than from the novel/graphic novel. He seems more intelligent and Machiavellian. I actually see him as a lethal threat to Rick and the camp, and not just because he has more guns and military hardware.

Looking back on it, the Kirkman fiction version just seemed like an idiot with a psychotic streak, and didn't serve much purpose beside the "gore and shock" value (I'd read that storyline again before the start of Season 3). Not to mention the whole story in the first novel just seemed forced.

I haven't read Book 2 yet, but do plan on it. Right now I am reading Flesh and Bone, Book 3 of Jonathan Maberry's awesome Rot & Ruin series.

I actually stopped reading the Kirkman graphic novel series as of Volume 13.

@DGMiller: And more importantly . . . awesome campaign, amigo!!!!
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee_Szczepanik wrote:
To be honest, I like The Governor in the show, even after one episode, more than from the novel/graphic novel. He seems more intelligent and Machiavellian.

That's rather what I was hoping would happen in the TV version, once I heard from multiple sources that "Oh boy, the Governor is in this season!" If someone is going to be an eeeeeeeevil bad guy in charge of a force of people, I need a compelling reason why he got into that position -- and not just because he shot anybody who disagreed with him.

So far, I'm of the general opinion that where I've seen deviations between the TV show and the graphic novel, it's been an improvement on the part of the show. Some of what passes for "drama" in the graphic novels has been repetitive and kind of pointless, and some of the perilous situations felt forced.

Not that the TV show hasn't had its share of credulity-stretching idiotic behavior on the part of characters ... but, hey, I don't expect my apocalypse-survivors to be perfect, or there wouldn't be much of a story. Very Happy

Anyway, I've got to find the time to catch up on Season 3; I haven't seen any of the episodes so far. My friend has it on TiVo, but Wendy absolutely refuses to watch it, so when we've been over to socialize (and work on crafting projects) we've been catching up on other TV shows instead, saving Walking Dead for when Wendy gets all wrapped up in "National Novel Writing Month."

@DGMiller: That was a great way you segued into the "patrol" mission with the two parties, centered around Trip. I'm not entirely sure just why Trip got naked, but I'm going to guess it had something to do with "See? I have no bites!"
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
@DGMiller: That was a great way you segued into the "patrol" mission with the two parties, centered around Trip. I'm not entirely sure just why Trip got naked, but I'm going to guess it had something to do with "See? I have no bites!"

It actually had a lot more to do with Trip thinking, "There's no way these two groups will fight each other if a naked man runs into the middle of the fracas." In the entire game so far, his method of breaking up tense situations is to act outrageous. When Hell's men took them captive, he tried to kiss two of them. His behavior in stressful situations is bizarre, but he is calculating with that behavior. The player is the game designer in the group (worked for ICE and Chaosium and co-owns Second Rat Games).
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee_Szczepanik wrote:
@DGMiller: And more importantly . . . awesome campaign, amigo!!!!

THANK YOU!!!
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finished season 1 (chapter 1) last night. Phenomenal session. For those of you following along at home, I'll get the report typed up ASAP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: