Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[WOTD] Game Journal - Ongoing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: [WOTD] Game Journal - Ongoing Reply with quote

I am finally starting the Game Journal thread for my upcoming WotD game. We start in 9 days and all but one of my players (not 100% sure if the last one will actually play or not, but I hope so, since a few of my players are somewhat part-time) have created their characters.

We started character creation with a version of "20 Questions" adapted from Shadowrun 2nd edition. I think it was really helpful for everyone to get to know their characters. If you want to read more about the characters and the NPC's aboard the Pinnacle Conquest, our Obsidian Portal site is at: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/beyondthesea ("Beyond the Sea" is the "codename" for my game).

Here is the cast list so far:

Mike Fulmin - ne'er-do-well misguided youth
Alison Gandry - classically trained ballet dancer
Bryce Winters - successful businessman, teaches karate at the YMCA
Sean MacGregor - professional photographer/cameraman born in Scotland
Thomas Odenson - Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune, on leave
Brooklynn "Brooke" Abrams - spoiled rich kid, socialite and heiress

If my last player materializes, I'll add his character here.

Our first game session is scheduled for a week from Friday (June Cool. My set-up is very similar to what Jordan's was. You can find my "elevator pitch" at: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/beyondthesea/wikis/the-world-as-we-know-it.

The "game date" at the start of the game is July 15th, 2012. This is when the Pinnacle Conquest leaves the Port of Charleston, SC.

I'll be posting my session journals in this thread.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice presentation! Very Happy I feel like such a slacker now. Interesting reading about those shows on Syfy speculating about alien life ... especially since it seems I've been seeing most of that cropping up on the so-called HISTORY Channel. Anyway, I will certainly be following this!
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read Metagaming Conceits and the PCHood Tag.

I think it's an interesting read for me, but I worry that this might be just a little bit TOO much of tipping your hand or showing behind the GM screen for the players, with questionable payoff. It basically amounts to a warning of, "If you go too far off the rails, your PC becomes an NPC." The trouble is, the players don't know where the rails are. And how far is too far? While the brontosaurus analogy makes for an interesting illustration, I'm not sure that it's going to communicate successfully to the players. I'm not even sure where your cutoff point is going to be for "too far."

I can definitely understand some cases where some PCs might just be written off. For instance, if most of the group goes west, and one player wants to head north, I as a GM am not going to have convenient plot-forcing road blockages and hordes of zombies FORCE the errant player to stick with the group, unless it really makes sense to do so. It's far easier for me to just let that lone PC go off his separate way ... and the player can come up with a *NEW* PC, either taking over an NPC newly promoted to PC-dom, or write up a new one (possibly with one Advance less than the previous PC, as with a PC death, if I feel that the departure was too arbitrary; or, with FULL XP, if I feel that the departure made "good story sense" and added to the adventure).

However, I don't know if that's the only factor. I could try to posit examples, but I honestly don't know. I'm not sure where you're going with this, and if the players aren't, either, it could have a chilling effect, making players hyper-sensitive to "not going off the rails." I've been in games where we as players TRIED VERY HARD to stick to the GM's rails, and then ended up in trouble because we misinterpreted.

(E.g., we would so often get "foreshadowing" of impending doom, and then we'd head the other way, when the GM wanted us to march into danger anyway ... but then in another case, we got vibes that we were walking into a trap, but did so anyway because "we thought we were supposed to," and we got creamed and the GM ended up basically mocking us for being so incompetent for walking into an obvious trap. Well ... blah. Just couldn't do anything right there.)

Specifically, I'm referring to:
"The story will proceed along a general path. Please cooperate with that path. There are often many possible options to get from point A in the story to point B, but donít try to go completely off the rails. That works in some games, but not in this one. Characters who go completely off the rails, will become NPCís and the game will continue to focus on those characters who are following the basic storyline. Be cooperative, you will get plenty of choices."

This to me could become problematic. What defines "cooperative"?

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you might need to clarify what you mean here, so that it isn't interpreted more broadly than you intended. Maybe the players already get the idea, of course -- I don't know your group -- but it's just a concern that came to mind based on my own previous misadventures in this area.

Completely unrelated, but upon running into the issue of starting gear in your write-up, I thought of another approach:

* At some point in the adventure, probably after getting off the cruise ship, the heroes get a chance to loot a small town, shopping mall, etc. Rather than giving them a complete list of all the goodies they find, you announce that each player gets $500 worth of scavenged goods, "shopped" from the gear list. It can be weapons, armor, food, ammo, whatever -- The player just needs to come up with a "reason" why he found it.

If for whatever reason the PC took Poverty or Wealth or whatever, that's reflected in the amount of gear he gets. Why? Actually, you could encourage the player to come up with an excuse. For example, because the spendthrift character wasted his time picking up TOTALLY USELESS stuff or having a binge with whatever food supplies he found. I'm not sure how "Wealthy" translates over to being better at scavenging. Maybe he was well-connected and actually knew someone who lived here in town, or his family actually opened a property nearby and he knew how to get in, and got some extra loot that way. Something like that.

Anyway, the key is that whatever the character finds, the player should come up with a "story" reason behind it being there. If it's just normal stuff like a stash of food, or some extra clothes, that won't take much work. But the really "interesting" stuff might take a little more imagination.

For example, if some player really, REALLY wants to have a hero walking around with a katana, then perhaps there's a Cutlery World store at the corner of the shopping mall, and even though most of those fantasy swords hanging on the walls are chromed, dull, pot-metal pieces of junk, it just so happens that the proprietor actually had a REAL katana as a display piece in a locked case (you can smash it now, and there's no power going to the alarm). Voila!

Or, there's a stockpile of ammo because some OTHER (heavily-armed) scavengers were here first, and got into a fight with each other. After axing the bullet-shredded animated remains of one of the unlucky feuders, you get to rifle through the backpack and find X worth of ammo.

And leather armor might be justified as a bunch of assorted sports goods equipment cobbled together as makeshift armor. Add duct tape, and it's uncomfortable, but has some armored protection.

Basically, it would be a chance to let players "shop" for goods, particularly for items that they think would be cool for the character, but which they can't count upon just HAPPENING UPON as part of prescribed loot in the adventure. Someone might really, really want to be sort of like Ash, and find himself a boomstick and a chainsaw.

It would be important to emphasize that it won't ALWAYS be like this. You don't get to just make stuff up and bend the nature of your reality throughout the campaign. This is just a bit of a break in the action where we finally get to suit up our post-apocalyptic heroes. If we had started the campaign midway and wrote up our characters as Seasoned, you might have your hero with the katana or the guy with the shotgun/chainsaw combo, and it was paid out of starting gear and nobody questions it -- it all happened "off camera" so we can move on to our adventure "in media res." Here we're getting to that, just a little LATE. You can't count on the GM to realize just how "cool" it would be for you to get that chainsaw or katana ... so here's your chance to pick and choose what you get for loot and get your perfect zombie-fighting hero look, while you can!

Anyway, just brainstorming as usual. I didn't do it this way; rather, I ended up writing up pre-gens based on rough profiles the players gave me (or just had a big selection of characters for players who didn't even take the time to come up with a concept), and giving them assortments of "interesting equipment," and then we just went from there. The opportunity for "shopping" came up when they hit survivor camps (I had the breakdown of civilization happen a little more slowly than as written) and they had a chance to trade goods for goods (so picking up that pack of toilet paper came in handy in practical terms as it could be traded for more bullets later on).
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that many of the things I wrote are VERY heavy-handed. To give some context, I have a "problem player" right now. Lately, in any game he's been in, if the group is looking for a macguffin or even a place, he has been intentionally trying to go in the opposite direction. This included leaving the party behind. He killed my Hellfrost game with his antics (including things like watching YouTube videos while I'm giving a description or speaking for an NPC, then complaining that he didn't know something). He told me he'd try to do better, and asked me to be more direct with him, so I'm being as unsubtle with him as possible. The rest of my players understand what I'm doing and know he's on his last legs with the group. It's a shame. He's been in the group for 12 years and is now acting like he's 12 years old.

Anyway, that's why some things are written the way they are.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGMiller wrote:
I agree that many of the things I wrote are VERY heavy-handed. To give some context, I have a "problem player" right now.

Ah. Yeah, I can understand and sympathize with that. I've run into that sort of thing twice, and I wasn't very satisfied with the way things turned out in either instance -- but then, even with 20/20 hindsight, I haven't been able to imagine a perfect solution (short of "find an entirely new group to play with," as if that sort of thing were easy and painless). When a player is deliberately disruptive, it's just not fun, all around.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Nice presentation! Very Happy I feel like such a slacker now. Interesting reading about those shows on Syfy speculating about alien life ... especially since it seems I've been seeing most of that cropping up on the so-called HISTORY Channel. Anyway, I will certainly be following this!

Thanks, Jordan!

You're definitely NOT a slacker. I just built on the excellent set-up you already created.

Also, I liked the bit about the "so-called History Channel." Consider it included. Thanks!

And thanks again for all of your help on this project, Jordan! I picked up some paint to weather my vehicles today (I just have to find your post on weathering yours). I also scored an 18-wheeler with a load of huge pipes (to block a road of course). That gives me a ton of civilian vehicles (mainly sedans, SUVs, and a couple of pick-up trucks), 2 Abrams tanks (slightly under-scale, but adequate), 2 military Humvees, a taxi, an assortment of police vehicles, and my piece de resistance, a 1:43 scale RV (similar to the model Henry's supposed to have) with a removable roof & wall, movable, lock-in furniture, an awning, and a slide-out area. I'll pick up a few more of the military Humvees before I need them and I've got my eye on a beautiful 1:43 Sea King helicopter, labeled for the US Coast Guard, at Toys-R-Us (about $10).

My town of Newport, NC is almost finished being built (cardstock buildings from World Works, Microtactix, and Fat Dragon), and I only have a few more clix minis to rebase. I have a few goodies to make for the players next week once the characters are complete (Tent Card character sheets and boarding passes), and then it looks like we'll be ready to roll.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGMiller wrote:
I picked up some paint to weather my vehicles today (I just have to find your post on weathering yours).

I'm not sure if I really posted anything about weathering vehicles. For my papercraft models, I just made an extra layer I could turn on or off with dents, smashes, scrapes, zombie gory hand-prints, etc. (A couple of those found their way, shrunk down to 1:72 scale, into a promo for Chapter 3 of WOTD, but that was a one-time-only thing. Maybe one of these days I'll be asked to make another paper model set for a modern setting and I can have an excuse to throw the rest of them in.)

For metal minis, there are a number of quick-and-dirty methods for dinging up toy vehicles - aside from the obvious method of ACTUALLY dinging them up (which works best if they're painted metal, rather than plastic).

1) Scrub the shine off a little -- I sometimes will use very fine sandpaper to scuff up a too-shiny plastic toy, either just to get rid of the shine, or else to give me more "grip" for applying paint. This only really works well for large vehicle toys, where you've got lots of smooth surfaces that sandpaper can get to -- and that paint will have trouble anchoring to.

2) Disassemble and repaint -- Some toys just need a completely new paint job. However, for toy cars with glass windows, etc., it's only worth it if you can actually disassemble the vehicle and separate the glass, to paint pieces individually. A too-shiny new car is still going to look a lot better than some repainted toy with obvious excess of paint around the edges of the windows where tape failed to keep it from getting coated. Bee mindful that some plastic toys don't mix well with spray paint of any type. (If it's a toy car with soft rubbery tires, DO NOT let any spray-paint get on those tires, or they'll be tacky forever!)

3) Paint on fake "dings" -- Or, an easier route is to just paint on some wear and tear. It might rub off with use, but you might be able to fix it somewhat with a spray of clear matte "varnish" (acrylic sealer). My quick-and-dirty method is to dry-brush a few areas to suggest "dings" in the metal: first, some grey paint (to suggest exposed primer), then black, then some thick* metallic paint, or some rust*-colored paint. Then, I might go back and do some touch-up work, depending on what sort of distress the vehicle was supposed to be exposed to -- for shotgun blasts, there should be lots of little speckles around the central blast mark, for instance. For a vehicle that's been in a fender-bender, there ought to be some scrape marks extending from the main impact, and any distress marks on the bumpers of modern cars won't have any metal showing, but rather just consist of white or grey dry-brushing to suggest the underlying material showing through.

* For metallic paints, standard metal model paints are usually runny, and DON'T work well for dry-brushing. This is best done with metallic acrylic paints -- the thicker, the better.

* "Rusty" paint can be approximated for our purposes with "terra cotta" or a similar "dirty orange" color. Real rust is a lot more interesting than that, but when I'm trying to litter a table with insta-wreckage, I'm going for shorthand representation.

4) Makeshift "stamps" can sometimes be useful. In the past, I've actually taken a figure with a detailed, textured boot (in an action pose, so we could see the sole of the boot as he was "running") and used that for detailing terrain. Basically, I'd jam it into bits of putty or air-dry clay to make footsteps, or I'd stamp it in a bit of black, brown or grey paint on my palette and then stamp it down on a floor section to make dirty boot-prints.

I *imagine* that for a zombie apocalypse, you might be able to do something similar with gory zombie hand-prints ... but honestly I haven't tried that yet. (My "gory zombie hand-prints" have just been hinted at with a few brush strokes of thick dark-red paint applied to the model, since that was "good enough" for my purposes at the time.)

Anyway, I won't pretend that would represent the best way to go about things, but it about sums up what I've tried to do in this area. Now, a FRIEND of mine is far more serious about this sort of thing, and he actually uses POWDERS to represent rust, weathering, dirtying, etc. of models. Basically, some companies put out some model "dust" in different colors that you can apply to a model, and then affix it into place with clear matte sealant or some other fixative. He's gotten some pretty interesting effects with it, but I haven't really messed with it myself.
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the "Values" page. (here) Is that something you came up with, or is it something that was released in some Savage Worlds / WOTD material I haven't gotten around to reading yet? It's an interesting concept; I'm curious how it would play out.

Also, on Sanity (here):

Right now it says that a character who fails a Fear check "suffers the usual results and loses one point of Sanity as well."

Based on personal misadventure with this (in my first experimentation at implementing Sanity rules in my games), I would recommend that if you are using the Sanity rules, you alter how the Fright Table is handled. That is, as presently written under core SW rules (p. 84, SWD), rolling a "1" on the Spirit die while making a Fear/Nausea check, or simply failing a Terror check entails a roll on the Fright Table. If you are implementing Sanity rules, you've already got the threat present of piling up on phobias or worse.

The trouble with the Fright Table is that it is VERY RANDOM, and it's not a trait roll (so Bennies won't help unless you've got a generously rules-bending GM). With Sanity, you've got a way for the players to start feeling nervous about the downward slide of their characters into insanity.

Therefore, my tweak would be that if Sanity rules are being used, you DO NOT roll on the Fright Table when making Fear/Nausea checks, even if a "1" comes up on the Spirit die ... and Fright Table rolls only happen on failed Terror checks if someone rolls a Critical Failure.

(Actually, I can't recall whether there are specifically any Terror checks called for in WOTD, vs. typical Fear checks, so that last part might be moot.)

It MIGHT not cause any problems for you, but there are quite a few calls for Fear checks in the game, and that 1d20 roll gives the CHANCE of severely messing up a character early on. (Over the course of running games, I've twice had a PC roll 1 on the Spirit die for Guts, then end up with Heart Failure for a Fear-2 check ... and in both cases the PC was already out of Bennies by this point.)

Archetypes:
I couldn't help but snicker at reading some of the examples under your "Plausibility" clause. I guess you have trouble with wacky PC concepts from some of your players? Very Happy
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
DGMiller wrote:
I picked up some paint to weather my vehicles today (I just have to find your post on weathering yours).

I'm not sure if I really posted anything about weathering vehicles.

Somewhere, I'm pretty sure I saw a few pics (maybe just one?) of diecast vehicles with blood spatter on them. I thought you posted it, but now I'm not sure. I can't find them at the moment.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
I just read the "Values" page. (here) Is that something you came up with, or is it something that was released in some Savage Worlds / WOTD material I haven't gotten around to reading yet? It's an interesting concept; I'm curious how it would play out.

Also, on Sanity (here):

Right now it says that a character who fails a Fear check "suffers the usual results and loses one point of Sanity as well."

Based on personal misadventure with this (in my first experimentation at implementing Sanity rules in my games), I would recommend that if you are using the Sanity rules, you alter how the Fright Table is handled. That is, as presently written under core SW rules (p. 84, SWD), rolling a "1" on the Spirit die while making a Fear/Nausea check, or simply failing a Terror check entails a roll on the Fright Table. If you are implementing Sanity rules, you've already got the threat present of piling up on phobias or worse.

The trouble with the Fright Table is that it is VERY RANDOM, and it's not a trait roll (so Bennies won't help unless you've got a generously rules-bending GM). With Sanity, you've got a way for the players to start feeling nervous about the downward slide of their characters into insanity.

Therefore, my tweak would be that if Sanity rules are being used, you DO NOT roll on the Fright Table when making Fear/Nausea checks, even if a "1" comes up on the Spirit die ... and Fright Table rolls only happen on failed Terror checks if someone rolls a Critical Failure.

(Actually, I can't recall whether there are specifically any Terror checks called for in WOTD, vs. typical Fear checks, so that last part might be moot.)

It MIGHT not cause any problems for you, but there are quite a few calls for Fear checks in the game, and that 1d20 roll gives the CHANCE of severely messing up a character early on. (Over the course of running games, I've twice had a PC roll 1 on the Spirit die for Guts, then end up with Heart Failure for a Fear-2 check ... and in both cases the PC was already out of Bennies by this point.)

I agree. I don't like the randomness of the Fright table either and, along with the wound chart, it doesn't quite fit the spirit of WotD. I'll be modifying, but I haven't decided how yet.

Jordan Peacock wrote:

Archetypes:
I couldn't help but snicker at reading some of the examples under your "Plausibility" clause. I guess you have trouble with wacky PC concepts from some of your players? Very Happy

One of my players texted me when he read that section that he spit drink out onto his monitor because he remembers a few of those characters. I used to have two guys in the group that always tried to "stretch" the campaign and make characters that filled every possible niche. The examples are from one of those guys. The "part Native-American gymnast turned reporter who sees ghosts" and has "a high agility, along with loads of Charisma and superb investigation skills who gets loads of cash from her rich lawyer father who can send someone to bail the party out if they get in trouble" is his, along with the "dark matter" guy (in a vigilantes game where there were supposed to be no superpowers), as well as the descendant of the arch-demon Lilith (in a game where they were supposed to be ruthlessly hunting evil). Those guys used to write pages of in-character "fanfic" every week (seriously, one of them average 1,500 words per week of in-character fiction). They really played like they were the only two guys at the table. They're no longer in the group. Being relatively well-known in local gaming circles as a decent GM exposes me to a lot of gamers of questionable sanity (having been a GM in the same area for most of the past 30 years). My wife has some theories on me being a freak-magnet, but I'll leave those to her.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:

The Values rules are in the pack of "Fan Created Material" that's available. They're an adaptation from the FATE system. It basically boils down to free bennies for the players if their values are threatened. I have a feeling that, especially early in the game, their values will often be threatened. It also gives the players one more way to hook into their characters.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: [WOTD] Game Journal - Ongoing Reply with quote

DGMiller wrote:

Here is the cast list so far:

Mike Fulmin - ne'er-do-well misguided youth
Alison Gandry - classically trained ballet dancer
Bryce Winters - successful businessman, teaches karate at the YMCA
Sean MacGregor - professional photographer/cameraman born in Scotland
Thomas Odenson - Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune, on leave
Brooklynn "Brooke" Abrams - spoiled rich kid, socialite and heiress

If my last player materializes, I'll add his character here.

My final player has indeed decided to join us, that adds one more to the cast list:

"Trip" Gordon - drifter/Irish gypsy, gambler and con artist

The player is Donald Dennis of OnBoardGames and 2nd Rat Games. He used to be in Ken Hite's gaming group and worked for Iron Crown and Chaosium back in the day. I'm very glad he'll be joining us, if a little intimidated (I mean, his name is printed inside my all-time favorite gaming book "Nightmares of Mine"). I'm excited and can't wait to get this show on the road!

Also, that gives me 7 players, which is a large table, but I'm used to large groups and I think Savage Worlds handles it better than most, if not all, other systems (I ran a table of 13 in 3E D&D for about a year - it wasn't easy).
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you'll post/share pictures of your miniatures and scenery setup? I love that sort of thing for inspiration.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
I hope you'll post/share pictures of your miniatures and scenery setup? I love that sort of thing for inspiration.

I definitely will. I can't promise anything incredibly impressive, though. This is my first time doing anything with cardstock buildings and all that.

Also, it won't be anything real impressive to look at until the group gets to Newport (Fairport) around week 6. But I plan to post way more than anyone is really interested in.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The characters are pretty much finished.

Here is the link to the "Characters" page on our Obsidian Portal site:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/beyondthesea/characters

First session is Friday night. I'll try to have the journal updated as soon after that as possible.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of my table set-up before the first session:

It'll get more cluttered and exciting in a couple of weeks with the theater battlemap, then vehicles and buildings.

Less than 24 hours until we start!
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very orderly and organized. First thought to pop to mind, though, is that everyone's got so much stuff in front of them that it's crowding out the grid map. Do you have any TV-tray tables? (Or other small, easily portable mini-tables?) It might be useful to have one or two at the corners (if there's room) for people caught there to have an alternate place to put stuff, to reduce the pressure on crowding the table.

That's a very nice touch with the tents/sheets. It looks like a very efficient use of the space!
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Looks very orderly and organized. First thought to pop to mind, though, is that everyone's got so much stuff in front of them that it's crowding out the grid map. Do you have any TV-tray tables? (Or other small, easily portable mini-tables?) It might be useful to have one or two at the corners (if there's room) for people caught there to have an alternate place to put stuff, to reduce the pressure on crowding the table.

That's a very nice touch with the tents/sheets. It looks like a very efficient use of the space!

Thanks! I have a tray table at the corner to my left, my laptop table to my right, and some spare chairs behind the seats on my right. The two giant dog crates are also adjacent to the gaming area with plenty of surface on top for people's stuff. On the other corner, there is just no space for anything. Since a couple of my players are part-timers, it won't always be this crowded, but everyone's showing up for the first session (my police officer player is taking a vacation day to play).
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note tonight. I just finished cleaning up after the first session of the game (and feeding and walking the dogs). It went exceptionally well and was VERY well received by everyone. I'll try to write the summary tomorrow... oops, later this morning before work.

The group stayed mostly on story, with the only major variation in the plot was them getting the 9mm's from Kirkman before responding to the emergency back at the remains of the ship's infirmary.

Two of the reasons, I consider my game a success:

1. People hung around talking about it out in the yard for a LOOOONG time after it was over. That's always a good sign (okay, unless they're talking about how bad it was - but that wasn't the case).

2. My most difficult player to engage and hold (he's the reason a lot of my writing on the Obsidian Portal site is so blunt) is playing a Marine (stationed at Camp Lejeune). When Forthington came in and went all "This is not your ship..." on them, Kirkman had to physically restrain his character from punching Forthington right then and there. The player was so emotional about it that he stewed all through Kirkman's next conversation with the group after that. The player was tossing out suggestions for what he wants to do to Forthington when he sees him again, for a loooong time after the game was over. Before he left, he told me he can't remember the last time he was this excited about a game.

I'd type more, but it's late and I think I already injured my arm patting myself on the back for a job well done.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pats DGMiller on the back* Good job, man. Sounds like a wildly successful session. I look forward to reading the write-up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: