Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flails ignoring "Shield Parry and Cover bonus"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Flails ignoring "Shield Parry and Cover bonus" Reply with quote

The flail (SWD page 52, SWEX page 49) "Ignores Shield Parry and Cover bonus". I originally interpreted it as meaning that the flail ignores the Parry and Cover bonuses granted by shields (and only shields), however:

1) Other weapons (such as the rapier) also provide a Parry bonus,

2) It's been clarified several times that shields don't technically provide Cover,

3) While a shield does act as an obstacle, the rules clarify that the armour only applies against ranged attacks, yet the flail is a melee weapon,

4) Although you could technically throw a flail as an improvised ranged weapon (SWD page 73), there were no rules for improvised weapons in SWEX, and flails in SWEX had the same ability to ignore Cover.

After some searching I came across a comment about flails in the FC page 11: "A flail has a chain attached to the weapon head, allowing it to bypass shields, defensive weapons, and cover". That makes a lot more sense to me, however I'm not sure if it's an elaboration of the rules, a clarification of the intent, or an alternative definition specific to the weapons in the FC.

Should the flail ignore the Parry bonuses of all weapons (rapiers, spears, etc) as well as shields?

Should the flail ignore all Cover bonuses (eg someone ducking behind a table, or stepping behind a tree)?

Thanks in advance.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Flails ignoring "Shield Parry and Cover bonus" Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
The flail (SWD page 52, SWEX page 49) "Ignores Shield Parry and Cover bonus". I originally interpreted it as meaning that the flail ignores the Parry and Cover bonuses granted by shields (and only shields), however:

After some searching I came across a comment about flails in the FC page 11: "A flail has a chain attached to the weapon head, allowing it to bypass shields, defensive weapons, and cover". That makes a lot more sense to me, however I'm not sure if it's an elaboration of the rules, a clarification of the intent, or an alternative definition specific to the weapons in the FC.

The FC listing for the flail specifically states "Shield/Weapon Parry and Cover," so it actually has different stats. If you use that version, it ignores Parry bonuses from shields and weapons (in addition to Cover).

Zadmar wrote:
Should the flail ignore the Parry bonuses of all weapons (rapiers, spears, etc) as well as shields?

As above, if the GM uses the Fantasy Companion version, they do. But if they stick with the core rules version, they don't. Neither version is currently "more official."

Zadmar wrote:
Should the flail ignore all Cover bonuses (eg someone ducking behind a table, or stepping behind a tree)?

Pretty much. Flails in the core book ignore "Shield Parry and Cover" bonuses. There's no missing comma in there, so they ignore the Parry bonus from shields and any Cover bonus. In short, they allow the attacker to bypass something between him and his target.

Of course, the GM can override any of that in situational cases. For instance, a flail may not have a benefit against near total cover if the opening is too small for the flail head.

Hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: