Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[FC] Bird of Prey and the Blind ability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilborg
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: [FC] Bird of Prey and the Blind ability Reply with quote

Hi there,

i have a question about the Blind ability of the Bird of Prey (Fantasy Companion page 103).

Quote:
Blind:When attacking large prey (such as characters), birds of prey go for the eyes. If the bird scores a raise on its Fighting roll, it has hit the character’s face. The character must make an Agility roll. On a failure, he suffers the One Eye Hindrance until his wounds heal. A roll of 1, regardless of the Wild Die, he suffers the Blind Hindrance instead.

How long does the hindrance lasts, if the attack causes no wound?

best regards
Wilborg
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until his wounds heal. If he has no wounds then I guess it was a momentary thing - he almost got hit in an eye and had a scary moment of near blindness. No mechanical effect, but the GM should describe how the character almost lost an eye.
This provides a RP opportunity for the player (playing up the shock and fear of that can earn a benny) and warns the party about that special ability.
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this as a special attack, the bird can either attack to cause a wound, or it can attack to Blind. To succeed, he has to get at least a raise, but the damage caused is a lot more severe.

Effectively, it's a called shot to the face, and the One Eye / Blind hindrances need to be recovered in the normal fashion (replacements via magic items, maybe Greater Healing?)
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read this, or used it, as a special attack like a called shot - not that there's anything wrong with running it that way. IMO the Blind is the bonus a Bird of Prey achieves when they roll a raise, and compensation for the fact that their base claw damage (Str[d4]+d6) is quite weak. Not to mention that they get to attack from height and the nearest part of the anatomy is the head - at least for any humanoid type character. Wink If the attacked player passes the Agility roll there's no hindrance - so as Valhalla said, no healing time.

One thing I did with this in a B&B campaign where the Bird was a familiar for a NPC, was to allow it to work like an intimidation or taunt. I had it grant it's owner the resulting bonus on their next attack, and I allowed that even when the target passed the Agility test.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that on a raise, it'll do +d6 damage as well.

I'd say if Shaken, they are blind until they unshake (from blood in the eyes.)

if they aren't Shaken, I"d treat it as a momentary thing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: