Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new to Deadland questions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guts is in Deadlands. See here, here, and mostly here. So Guts is a very important skill to have (especially once the weird part of the Weird West starts ramping up).

An edge to get +2 damage is fine, but at 0 xp, it isn't the best use of edges. Elan allows +2 any time the character spends a Benny to make a roll (in all honesty, I forgot that it requires a Spirit of d8, so it was a poor choice on my part #1eek1 ). That includes when making a soak roll and any time he spends a Benny to reroll a failed Trait test. That'll come in handy in the Weird West, especially for soaking. Brave represents his hardened nature. The ability to stare down the awful things in the world and say, "Is that the best you got, partner?"

Trademark Weapon, Marksman, and Assassin are all good edges, but they aren't the best use of starting edges (especially since Marksman is a Seasoned rank edge). The sniper that shoots from a long ways away and hits more often than not, probably also took the aim action already and will probably spend a Benny if they miss the first shot. That sniper will, most likely, get the Drop on that first shot, so having Assassin to start is a little over-specialized and means that the guy can do much less.

So there's that. On second pass, I'd make Guts only d4, give the guy Notice d4, and instead of Elan (which he doesn't qualify for) give him Alertness. Snipers have to be patient and know when the right time to strike will come up.

Definitely pick up Assassin when he qualifies for it as well as Marksman and Trademark Weapon, but he'll be a lot more useful with a +2 to Notice and +2 to resist fear effects. Especially in the bad places where fear checks are made at -5 or -6 before any other modifiers just for the area.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i have changed some things up on him.

name: Yuri Zaitsev (main PC for my wife’s PC’S teammate)
sex: M
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: shooting d10, climbing d6, fighting d8, stealth d8, guts d4, notice d4.
Charisma: 0
pace: 6”
parry: 5
Toughness: 5
Hindrances: code of honor, Heroic, doubting Thomas.
edges: trademark weapon, brave, luck, Alertness.
Back story: Yuri is a Russian immigrant at the age of 15 came over to the west in search of love and riches. But after many years all he has found is God. Yuri started out as a hired gun and got very good at long range shots. Soon he was on the wrong side of the law and ended up doing 20 years for attempted murder of a town marshal as the law-dog just did not die. When Yuri was in jail he learnt about God and how if he changed his ways he would be accepted into heaven. When Yuri got out he was he was 35 and had a lot to make up for so he bought a long-gun and started hunting to make a living for him-self. 5 years later Yuri has not killed anyone but a few bandits that are hurting people in the town and attends church more often as his ages.
gear: boots, duster, Stetson, bedroll, canteen, cigar(10), matches(100), rifle boot. Weapons: Sharps Big 50, rifle ammo (.50)(75), tomahawk

also does "marksmen" remove the penalty for reloading and shooting in the same turn?
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian NPC in the old west for you to use

Count Zaroff

Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d4, Strength d6, Vigor d6

Skills: Fighting d8, Guts d4, Intimidate d4, Know (Battle) d6, Notice d 6, Riding d8, Shooting d8,

Charisma:0; Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 5

Hindrances: Arrogant (major), Code of Honor (major), Loyal (minor)

Edges: Nobel, Command

Gear: Dress Dagger (Str+d4+1) , Military Tunic, Riding Trousers, 2 Pair of under shoes, Calvary Boots, Dress Uniform, Military Cloak, Ushanka (Fuzzy Russian Hat, Bed roll, European Hunting Rifle (Range 30/60/120, damage 2d10, RoF 1) , 50 rounds ammo .50, Heavy Saber (Str+d8 ), European Pistol

Bio: A young Officer in service to the Tsar. Recently wounded in battle he has almost recovered and is taking time to expand his knowledge of the world and indulge his passion for big game hunting. Although his upbringing as a minor noble has given him a sense of superiority over the common man his sense of duty compels him to treat his followers fairly

Count Zaroff’s Cossacks (How ever many the Marshall Allows)

Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6

Skills: Fighting d6, Guts d6, Notice d4 Riding d6, shooting d6, Stealth d4
Charisma:0; Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 5

Gear: Scimitar (Str+d8 ), Lance (Str+d8 ), Calvary Carbine (Range 20/40/80, damage 2d8, RF 1) , 50 rounds ammo .52. Cossack uniform etc

Background: Descended from Eastern European outcast deported or banished to border regions to form buffer communities and the steppe people they were to help contain these hardy natural born horse men have as often fought against as for the Russian Empire. These men were members of Count Zaroff’s personal command and might includ his sergeant and cook (can not be replaced unless the Marshall Rules the location has a Population of Russian Immigrants with military experience)

Sergeant Vasalov As above except. Two combat Edges

Yuri the Cook As above except. One-leg and bad eyes Hindrance. Three barrel German shotgun and Kitchen knives (Str+d4), Outfit like Fivel the mouse. 1d10 Pirozhki (plural form of pirozhok) made with buffalo and cajin spices

Caravan of gear (looks like a gypsy Wagon)

Comments welcome I don't have the DLR book I just used SW EX

It may sound like a crazy idea But there were a few Russian and other European big hunting parties. If this is all to large for w PC it can be a NPC party
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou they look great i like the idea of more russians i can have help us. 1 amarican nun with a team of russians.
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmlizardmen wrote:
so i have changed some things up on him.

name: Yuri Zaitsev (main PC for my wife’s PC’S teammate)

Breaking it down:
Quote:
Attributes: Agility d10 {3}, Smarts d4, Spirit d6 {1}, Strength d4, Vigor d6 {1} = {5}
Skills: shooting d10 {4}, climbing d6 {3}, fighting d8 {3}, stealth d8 {3}, guts d4 {1}, notice d4 {1} = 15

It's always tempting to keep the Agility and Shooting at the same level, but here's my problem with it: If you only ever have one skill that goes that high and no edges rely on Agility being that high, you've wasted points on Agility. Opinions vary on that one though.

Comments in red:
pmlizardmen wrote:
Charisma: 0
parry: 5 it's 6; Fighting = d8, 1/2 * 8 = 4, 4 + 2 = 6
Toughness: 5
Hindrances: code of honor Major, Heroic Major, doubting Thomas Minor. You get no extra points for taking two major hindrances. I grant that it adds flavor, but there is no mechanical benefit. Just pointing it out.
edges: trademark weapon, brave, luck, Alertness. He only qualifies for 3 edges at character creation. 4 hindrance points only buys 2 edges, plus the one for being human. You've got to pick one to drop. The easiest to do without for 5 xp would be Trademark Weapon (in my opinion).

pmlizardmen wrote:
Back story: Yuri is a Russian immigrant at the age of 15 came over to the west in search of love and riches. But after many years all he has found is God. Yuri started out as a hired gun and got very good at long range shots. Soon he was on the wrong side of the law and ended up doing 20 years for attempted murder of a town marshal as the law-dog just did not die. When Yuri was in jail he learnt about God and how if he changed his ways he would be accepted into heaven. When Yuri got out he was he was 35 and had a lot to make up for so he bought a long-gun and started hunting to make a living for him-self. 5 years later Yuri has not killed anyone but a few bandits that are hurting people in the town and attends church more often as his ages.
gear: boots, duster, Stetson, bedroll, canteen, cigar(10), matches(100), rifle boot. Weapons: Sharps Big 50, rifle ammo (.50)(75), tomahawk

I still like the back-story.

pmlizardmen wrote:
also does "marksmen" remove the penalty for reloading and shooting in the same turn?

Nope. Marksman allows the character to make a Shooting roll as if he had aimed as long as he doesn't move. So it gives a +2 to Shooting, just like the aim maneuver, but doesn't remove the penalty for anything.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou for all the help. now can you explane how a PC gets new skills/edges as we play i have now come across an EXP table in my books.

also i will pick one but i like "tradmark weapon"
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmlizardmen wrote:
thankyou for all the help.

You're welcome.
pmlizardmen wrote:
now can you explane how a PC gets new skills/edges as we play i have now come across an EXP table in my books.

In Savage Worlds Deluxe hardcover, see page 43. It's at the end of Chapter 2 under the header "Advancement" in every printing though.

pmlizardmen wrote:
also i will pick one but i like "tradmark weapon"

I like it too, but it is easier to explain bonding with a weapon than it is to suddenly be extra brave or lucky or alert.

pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou i always seemed to skip that page.

i will pick what skill to drop before we start play im stuck on keeping trademark weapon.

what is a good size for a team in deadlands? it will only be me and my wife playing maybe a friend of mine will come and go if he wants to play. so i thought i would have a pc of my own thats "Yuri" my wife will have her "Blessed" so i guess im asking should i play a 2nd-3rd pc to make it less of a chalenge for my wife?

also if you were to make a Blessed what Edges and skills would you take?
Mavis
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmlizardmen wrote:
so i fixed my mistakes and here are some of the guys i have made.

Bull
Attributes: Agility d8, smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6.
Skills: fighting d12, intimidate d12, survival d4, throwing d4
Charisma: -3 (-7 if ppl know he is a killer. That most do because of his buzzsaw hand)
parry: 8
Toughness: 7
Hindrances: habit (major: ghost rock for his mechanical parts), illiterate, bloodthirsty, ugly
Edges: scrapper (mechanical arm R, buzzsaw R, skull plate, piston jaw), nerves of steel, berserk, Brawny
Back story: bull is killing miners in (insert location here) to steal their ghostrock to power his mechanical parts. He can speak very broken English due to his weakened mental state from the pit fighting. Bull was owned by a small man that got into a big problem with a gang boss that decided to collect one day (in flesh). Bull escaped and soon needed ghostrock to power his arm and jaw so he made his way to (insert location here) where he has been killing miners and stealing their ghostrock.

Thanks very much for Bull, I love him and have stolen him for my game
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm this thread is dead but since it came up again and nobody answered the question i would have to say conviction is a must, common bond is good too, flock maybe later on, persuasion and things related to "face" types work well to such as snake oil salesman, strong willed, charisma, connections. also a lot of the other basics for normal characters as well.
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:

Breaking it down:
Quote:
Attributes: Agility d10 {3}, Smarts d4, Spirit d6 {1}, Strength d4, Vigor d6 {1} = {5}
Skills: shooting d10 {4}, climbing d6 {2}, fighting d8 {3}, stealth d8 {3}, guts d4 {1}, notice d4 {1} = 14

You have another skill point. Guts d6 might be good. How's the game going?

I sure like that first adventure suggestion that begins at the church. I hate to steal in church, but there's a time and a place for everything!
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh trotter why was climbing changed to two? it should be 3 since it went over its attribute.

edit grammar mistake.
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! I stared and stared at that trying to see why it added up to 15. Mind if we chop this up to the ear infection I'm dealing with? I promise I'm better with numbers than it appears. Embarassed
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. its okey i had to do the math twice before i figured it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: