Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new to Deadland questions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks i will look into it more.

so im looking and making my wifes PC slowly and on some of the Edges sais they need "Faith" D6 but i cant find "faith" in my books. i have Marshal's handbook (has Stone on the cover) player's guide (has a huckster and a female with a rifle and a mad scientists in a hellicopter) and the Savage worlds deluxe book.... and the 1880 smith &robards catalog.
geijhan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge (Ballistics) wouldn't add to Shootin' rolls, though I can see how the argument works. I might allow him to talk other characters through taking weird shots, though (assisted roll as he's 'splainin' where to aim to get the bullet into the cave, not hitting the edge etc.).

If he really want a specific Sniper character, how's this for an Edge:

Sniper
Req: Shootin' D8, Seasoned

Your character excels at long-range shots.
Whenever he takes the Aim action, he also ignores 2 points of range penalty, in addition to the normal +2 to the shootin' roll.
Each round that he keeps aiming removes 2 more points of range penalty.

Faith is the name of the Arcane Skill for the Blessed.
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou and i forgot i can make new edges.

so arcane skill should be in the "skills" part of my books? because i cant find it?
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The descriptions for arcane skills are in the No Man's Land section of the Players Guide under the relevant arcane background. For example, Faith is discussed on page 77 under 'Playing a Blessed'.
geijhan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmlizardmen wrote:
thankyou and i forgot i can make new edges.

Mind you, it's just something I cooked up off the top of my head.

Alternatively, you could go with the player picking up the marksman edge and the signature weapon (and picking a long-range gun for the latter) edge and see if he's happy enough with that.
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the edge is a little overpowered for Seasoned. I'd probably either get rid of 'Each round that he keeps aiming removes 2 more points of range penalty', or increased the requirement to Veteran.
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made a compermise with him. i told him if he took 2 major and 2 minor hindrances he could take the edge "Marksman" as a novic PC i also told him no to the +'s for have knowlage in bullet behavior. so this is what he has thought of...(i have left out all the PC back story and minor detales)

Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d4, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: shooting d12, climbing d6, fighting d6, stealth d8, repair d6, notice d8
Charisma: -1
pace: 6
parry: 5
Toughness:5
Hindrances: code of honor, Heroic, doubting Thomas, habit (minor, smokes cigars)
edges: trademark weapon, marksman, assassin, luck
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're starting with 0 XP Your skills don't seem to add up quite right:

Shooting d12 - 6 points (Ag)
Climbing d6 - 3 points (Str)
Fighting - d6 - 2 points (Ag)
Stealth - d8 - 3 points (Ag)
Repair - d6 - 2 points (Sm)
Notice - d8 - 4 points (Sm)

which adds up to 20 - should be 15.
SteelDraco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a thought, d4 Spirit SUUUUCKS when trying to get out of Shaken.
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might of read it wrong but i thought you have 5 points to up Agility and the other attributies thats 1 point per "d" type so all start at d4. and it said 15 points for skills 1 point per d type you already have 2 point if going above your attribute level? i might of done it wrong if so i have alot of work to do.

just rereading your post dont all skills start at a d4?
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they don't I'm afraid. It costs 1 point to buy the skill at d4 during character creation, otherwise you roll as unskilled which is d4-2.

Costs broken down are as follows:

Shooting (Agility)
d4 - 1 point
d6 - 1 point
d8 - 1 point
d10 - 1 point
d12 - 2 points (as it is now higher than Agility, the skill's linked attribute)

Climbing (Strength)
d4 - 1
d6 - 2 (as it is now higher than the character's Strength)

Fighting (Agility)
d4 - 1
d6 - 1

Stealth (Agility)
d4 - 1
d6 - 1
d8 - 1

Repair (Smarts)
d4 - 1
d6 - 1

Notice (Smarts)
d4 - 1
d6 - 1
d8 - 2

and if you add all that up it comes to 20 points, which is 5 over your starting character's budget.
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou i will change it. before we start playing. and this will help alot for new npc's i make.
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick comment - one of the main things with NPCs in Savage Worlds is that you don't generally build them using the PC character creation rules. This saves a huge amount of time, particularly for walk-on extras. Just give them what skills and attributes etc you think they should have that will actually come into play in whatever role they might have. There are a few exceptions to this, e.g. making sure you don't give a Shaman powers that they don't have access to.
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ment PC's that i will be playing as quest givers or future friends of my wifes PC. also reacuring villieans that maybe started as friends. i dont have much exp in running a RPG and i always had one friend that would always get a party killed. one time in a D&D game he ran at 2 giant t-rex like monsters as a lvl2 fighter.
gnomestress
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sweat it too much - I'm sure you'll be great! You seem to be doing what prep work you can and that alone will set you on the path to success. If you're new to GMing and you're using a new system you're bound to make some mistakes. As long as you move on when you do make mistakes and use common sense you'll be a fine GM.

Listen to some Smiling Jack's while you're at it. http://podcast.smilingjacksbarandgrill.com/ They give some good advice, talk about all things Savage, and they do some walkthroughs of some of the more complex rules (like chases & mass battles)
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i fixed my mistakes and here are some of the guys i have made.

Bull
sex: M
Attributes: Agility d8, smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6.
Skills: fighting d12, intimidate d12, survival d4, throwing d4
Charisma: -3 (-7 if ppl know he is a killer. That most do because of his buzzsaw hand)
parry: 8
Toughness: 7
Hindrances: habit (major: ghost rock for his mechanical parts), illiterate, bloodthirsty, ugly
Edges: scrapper (mechanical arm R, buzzsaw R, skull plate, piston jaw), nerves of steel, berserk, Brawny
Back story: bull is killing miners in (insert location here) to steal their ghostrock to power his mechanical parts. He can speak very broken English due to his weakened mental state from the pit fighting. Bull was owned by a small man that got into a big problem with a gang boss that decided to collect one day (in flesh). Bull escaped and soon needed ghostrock to power his arm and jaw so he made his way to (insert location here) where he has been killing miners and stealing their ghostrock.

name: Yuri Zaitsev (main PC teammate for my wifes PC)
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d4, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: shooting d12, climbing d6, fighting d6, stealth d8, repair d4.
Toughness: 5
Hindrances: code of honor, Heroic, doubting Thomas, habit (minor, smokes cigars)
edges: trademark weapon, marksman, assassin, luck.
Back story: Yuri is a Russian immigrant at the age of 15 came over to the west in search of love and riches. But after many years all he has found is God. Yuri started out as a hired gun and got very good at long range shots. Soon he was on the wrong side of the law and ended up doing 20 years for attempted murder of a town marshal as the law-dog just did not die. When Yuri was in jail he learnt about God and how if he changed his ways he would be accepted into heaven. When Yuri got out he was he was 35 and had a lot to make up for so he bought a long-gun and started hunting to make a living for him-self. 5 years later Yuri has not killed anyone but a few bandits that are hurting people in the town and attends church more often as his ages.
gear: boots, duster, Stetson, bedroll, canteen, cigar(10), matches(100), rifle boot. Weapons: Sharps Big 50, rifle ammo (.50)(75), tomahawk
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting d12 is overkill and Spirit d4 will bite you in the ass. Hard. Also, it's Deadlands; take the Guts skill. For the love of Pete, take the Guts skill.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to steal your thunder, but this is how I'd build this guy:

Quote:
name: Yuri Zaitsev (main PC teammate for my wifes PC)
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: shooting d10, climbing d6, fighting d6, stealth d6, repair d4, guts d6.
Toughness: 5
Hindrances: Heroic, doubting Thomas, habit (minor, smokes cigars)
edges: elan, brave, luck
Back story: Yuri is a Russian immigrant at the age of 15 came over to the west in search of love and riches. But after many years all he has found is God. Yuri started out as a hired gun and got very good at long range shots. Soon he was on the wrong side of the law and ended up doing 20 years for attempted murder of a town marshal as the law-dog just did not die. When Yuri was in jail he learnt about God and how if he changed his ways he would be accepted into heaven. When Yuri got out he was he was 35 and had a lot to make up for so he bought a long-gun and started hunting to make a living for him-self. 5 years later Yuri has not killed anyone but a few bandits that are hurting people in the town and attends church more often as his ages.
gear: boots, duster, Stetson, bedroll, canteen, cigar(10), matches(100), rifle boot. Weapons: Sharps Big 50, rifle ammo (.50)(75), tomahawk

Assuming you are using PC creation rules and not NPC creation rules, only one major and two minor hindrances are useful at character creation. Any others don't provide any additional benefit. Assassin isn't as cool as you think and marksman isn't available until Seasoned rank.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im open to any help i can get as im new to Savage worlds and deadlands.

in my Savage worlds deluxe rule book it sais they have removed "guts" so thats why i dont take it.

they have 4 Hindrances because having the piston jaw gives you "ugly" so thats why "Bull" has 4. and the other has 4 because it was a compermise for alot of stuff.

and the one guy has marksmen as a novic lvl PC because it was given to him from a compermise as he made a very good argument about other things so i took stuff away and gave him that.

im still learning how to make PC's and if anyone would post a novic PC so i can learn by example would help alot
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also can you explane why you would take thoes eges?

the guy is sopost to be a sniper so i thought if he flanked off befor they aproched an area the enemies would not know he was there so he would get the +2 to damage for "assassin".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: