Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ghostly Ghoulish Gruesome 'n' Gory Halloween Gaming
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Ghostly Ghoulish Gruesome 'n' Gory Halloween Gaming Reply with quote

Alright fellas, time is short. Halloween is this Saturday. No time for a last-minute campaign. Ya' just gotta put something together...

What do you do...? Surprised

Resorting to a card- or board-game is the coward's way out. To consider another game system is just downright traitorous, even for one night.

I don't wanna hear about your current (Rippers, Cthulhu, Zombie, etc.) campaign.

What I want are your Savage Worlds Halloween One-Shot Horror Fests...

I've always been a fan of the one-shot scenario. Halloween is the perfect time for one. B-Movies, Slasher Flicks, Ghost Stories, whatever.

Gimme your best. Atmosphere and style are a must. Extra bennies for a TPK (Total Party Kill). Twisted Evil

Well, maybe leave one survivor, just to spread the legend... Wink
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S Mart Night shift

Based on a True Story

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23300
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sir, I enjoyed that one back when you posted it, and I knew I could count on you to respond to this invitation. Cool Just what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Let's have some more...
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unfinished idea I toyed with:

Introduction
Once again, the scene is repeated. A lonely tower crouches on a rocky outcropping, in the middle of a forbidding forest. A violent storm rages, thunder and lightning tearing the sky, gusts of wind and rain that threaten to wash the world away.

Inside the tower, the familiarity continues. The uppermost chamber is filled with strange machines. The bizarre devices howl and spark and scream while a hunchbacked dwarf scampers among them like a monkey.

The walls are lined with bookshelves, charts and diagrams. An alchemical apparatus encroaches on a surgical suite, which in turn crowds an embalming table. Pens are filled with a variety of small animals, while cages hold more disturbing creatures. Twisted abominations, these are the end result of a hundred unholy experiments.

The eyes of these creatures and animals are all fixed on the grisly tableau in the center of the room. There lies the huge surgical table with the shroud covered form and the dreaded Master.

Wild-eyed and crazed, he hurries to check the apparatus and his latest test subject one final time. The dwarf flings himself down from a power coil, shouting a warning. Cackling, the Master joins him at the great chain-wheel that will raise the platform into the teeth of the storm. Working frantically, they watch as the heavy platform jerkily rises.

The caged creatures watch apathetically. They have been created with alchemy, summoned from sulfurous hells, even built from gears and springs. Alive, yes, but only as mindless slaves, rejected experiments, failures on the path to success.

They watch, uncaring, as the platform rises towards the opening in the roof. As the shrouded monstrosity is drenched in gusts of rain, the wind threatens to reveal the hideous, barely humanoid form. The rain washes away the stink of the embalming fluid and partially obscures the reek of the alchemical baths. The bloodied canvas conceals the mystical and demonic symbols painted, branded and tattooed onto the thing.

Now the apparatus has nearly reached the opening to the roof. The storm howls as lightning crashes down. TOO SOON!!! The dwarf screams and dives for cover as the Master gapes in horror.

A veritable barrage of lightning bolts strike down and the room is filled with an unearthly glow. Twisting tendrils of energy dance among the machines wreaking havoc and destruction. One of the great power coils explodes and other machines quickly follow suit. The air becomes a maelstrom of electricity and alchemical sprays. The bizarre wretches in their iron cages are thrown about, thrashing in an unearthly tornado.

Then a great bolt of lightning crashes down as if thrown by a vengeful god. There is a tearing sound as if the very air itself has been ripped asunder. A strange green light pours into the room, splashing like water. It drips off the walls, puddles on the floor, and washes over the spasming creatures like a wave.

*** blackness ***
Darkness, an absence of light, of feeling, of
*** awareness ***

You scream, your voice echoing in the now silent room. It is a scream of agony, of fear, of confusion. Your eyes are clenched tight and with great difficulty you force them open. You recognize your cage, now lying around you shattered and open. You see your fellow prisoners doing the same, awaking, even beginning to stand.

And as you stagger to your feet, bracing yourself on the ruins of your cage, you realize a sense of self.

You think.
You feel.
You know.
You are.

And with the instinct of all living creatures, you glance as one towards the barred windows and Freedom.

Goal: To escape the tower
Starting Point: fourth floor, in cages

each floor has:
a challenge
a threat
a reward

“Lefty” the Crawling Hand
Lefty started out as the right hand of an adult human male. It was severed at the wrist from the owner’s corpse and re-animated as an experiment by the Master.

Lefty is large and meaty with a generous amount of coarse black hair. The stump has been stitched closed and apparently sealed with tar. The fingernails are short and chisel-like.

There is a large gold ring on the middle finger. Rather than a gem, it is set with a human eye. Lefty can see through the eye. The ring cannot be removed unless the finger is cut off.

Lefty cannot speak and communicates via hand gestures. It is an excellent climber and an impressive jumper.

Midnight
A “normal” black cat that was used to test an intelligence-enhancing serum. The cat can speak and has human level, at least, intelligence. Jumping and climbing, low light vision, fear of water.

Hades
Hades is an alchemical creation, attempted before the Master moved on to creating life. Hades appears as an Imp, a chubby, humanoid figure about 24” tall. He has short wings, small horns and a stinger tail. His rubbery, hairless body is reddish-green and the skin is covered with tiny scales. He sports wicked claws and fangs.

Demonic resemblance aside, Hades has no connection to the Underworld. He was actually created as a joke and used to torment a local priest who troubled the master.

Clockwork
A crudely built, wind-up automaton. He has a spear-like metal spark that magnetized or attuned to his body during the creation. He can pull it back to his body if thrown or disarmed. (range?) Wind-up key is still in place, but no longer useful. Maybe: Wind-up spring for additional speed/power/something. Only useful so many times.

Raggedy
Rag doll, made of rags and sawdust, crudely sewn dark clothing, black hair blue eyes. Fights with two butcher knives.

Professor Headley
A Scottish scientist’s head mounted on the body of an octopus. Needs periodic immersion in salt water, but can breathe both air and water. Can spit ink.

Jack O’Lantern
A dwarf-sized, scarecrow like creature, with a body made of a canvas sack and a small jack-o-lantern for a head. Green fires glow in his eyes and he can spit fireballs from his jaggedly toothed mouth.

Halfwit
A barely humanoid, freakish homunculus. He was created through alchemical formulae.

NPCs
Shrunken head – source of info

Foes
Giant spiders
Giant Rats
Flesh golem (w/abby normal brain)
Animated clockwork skeletons
Zombies
The hunchback
The Master
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Henson's Cthulhu Babies with the voices of Rosane Barr and Rosie O Donald

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25196
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
...with the voices of Rosane Barr and Rosie O Donald...

Dammit, I really liked this one until you said that. #1eek13 Now I just wanna squish Cthulhu Babies under my boots...

And grind my heels.

But, yeah, a very fun scenario! Mr. Green
Noirfatale
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see Jason, mike miyers, freddy , hannibal and all the other horror flick villains and monsters in the same city.

of course the players will play all those villains.

The players will realize that they are the only people in the city.

then you unleash Chuck Norris.

imagine Jason running and crying like a girl while chuck always pop behind every door he opens and is always behind him no mater how fast he runs while Chuck never runs... he doest even walk.

he is just there... there is no escape.

Scary:)
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New idea just now

Funhouse

Every one roll up a kid with SW:EX

Enter the Funhouse at the carnival and don’t come out

In the funhouse are a lot of weird “haunted house” type displays from which weapons and items might be found.

In the funhouse are carnies

Each Carny is based on a D6 citizen except they have either a Trait and skill at D12 or a super power

Knife thrower D12 in Agility and Throwing and 20 knives

Circus Strong Man D12 in Strength and fighting and a Strength test sledge hammer

Fire-eater with 20 PP worth of alcohol for the Blast power

Rubber man 20 PP in entangle

Juggler D12 in Agility and Throwing and 20 clubs

Mentalist 20 PP in puppet
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghostly Ghoulish Gruesome 'n' Gory Halloween Gaming Reply with quote

Dirty Ernie wrote:

Resorting to a card- or board-game is the coward's way out. To consider another game system is just downright traitorous, even for one night.

Two points:

1) It's not the coward's way out if it's an awesome game...and A Touch of Evil is awesome...=)

2) If I had to pick up and run something with little prep, Savage Worlds is the only system I COULD use anyway...=P

Anyway, I will try to cook something up by Friday, but no promises.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghostly Ghoulish Gruesome 'n' Gory Halloween Gaming Reply with quote

Dirty Ernie wrote:
Alright fellas, time is short. Halloween is this Saturday. No time for a last-minute campaign. Ya' just gotta put something together...

What do you do...? Surprised

Check out Pinnacle's front page? Wink

www.peginc.com
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is what I call service. Cool I'm gonna have to ask for stuff more often. I've got a wish-list that I can send over. Wink
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on killing at least one PC (totally random, I assure you) this Friday in our Horror game.

Caveat: Its not a One Shot. Its just a horror game in honor of the season in our ongoing Hellfrost fantasy campaign. I gave the players the option to run different characters or a separate setting but they said "Bring it on", and bring it on, I shall.
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noirfatale wrote:
...then you unleash Chuck Norris.

Oddly enough Surprised , my son told me today about a poster that his math teacher has in her classroom. It says...

"Every night before he goes to bed, the Boogeyman checks his closet to see if Chuck Norris is there."
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCs are members of a small town police dept. or sheriff's office, in a B-Movie Horror scenario. Boomtown PD, Hicksville's Finest, etc.

Sample Archetypes:

-- Gruff, no-nonsense war vet: By the book. 'Nuff said.

-- Andy Griffith family man: Dependents abound. His son/daughter is one of those troubled teens or is dating one.

-- Wet-behind-the-ears rookie: Trying to earn his stripes. Prone to panic, call for backup, and shoot prematurely.

-- Inept Barney Fife rip-off: Lovable, yet annoying model-citizen. Soft-hearted sucker. Can't get a date.

-- World-weary old-timer waiting for retirement: Has the most experience but just doesn't give a damn. Marking time.

-- Cocky ladies'-man motorcycle trooper: Ego-maniac Super-Cop. May or may not have the skills to back it up. Has Woman Troubles.

-- Crooked cop on the take: Sleazy scumbag. His days are numbered. Then again, everyone's days are numbered in this scenario, but the audience will cheer when this guy gets his.

Take these samples, mix ‘n’ match, tag ‘em as Good Cop or Bad Cop, and you’re good to go.

Now, there is one special archetype that is best kept as an NPC and played by the GM, and that is...

-- Desk jockey/dispatcher: Hard of hearing, stutters, ditzy or just bored and distracted. A real pain in the neck and source of frustration.

For kicks, get yourself a pair of walkie-talkies, really ham it up, and send those hapless PCs into harm's way. This eliminates the problem of PC motivation. They're just doing their jobs. Keep them on the defensive, so that they are just reacting to stuff. Ideally, you'll have players that just "get it", and they'll help you out in this regard, rather than your having to push 'em. See below.

Award Bennies for corny police cliches, introducing plot elements, and dangerously stupid actions. Everything must be done in character. For example...

-- Harassing or reprimanding those kooky, reckless, disrespectful teens.

-- Coffee/doughnut breaks

-- Poking around in dark basements armed with only a flashlight.

-- Splitting off from your partner:
"Stay in the car. I'll handle this..."
"Just put my dinner in the oven, Honey. No, don't wait up. I just want to finish typing up my report. No, Dear, the other guys have already gone home..."
"You knock on the front door, while I check around back..."
"Lou should have checked in an hour ago. I'm goin' out to look for him..."

-- Cop radio chatter, calling for backup, liberal use of police codes/lingo.
Remember to use the walkie-talkie.

-- “Gee Sarge, do you think this has anything to do with that smoking crater we saw at the Myers’ farm night before last?”

-- Strutting into a dark alley, brandishing a nightstick to teach those "punks" a lesson for trying to spook you.

-- "Maybe we should check on old Mrs. Schultz. She's usually in bed by now, but the lights are still on. Probably waiting up for that no-good son of hers..."

-- Being skeptical of everything. Especially on Halloween. Especially stories coming from kooky kids, town drunks, and excitable old folks.

-- "Hey, there's a carnival in town. Let's go shake down those gypsies..."

-- Appropriate cop name. Extra points for Irish, Italian, or Polish names (Sullivan, Kowalski, Rizzo, Callahan, Marino, Mahoney, Jablonski, etc.)

-- "Shoeshine Charlie? He's sleeping it off in cell two. Gonna wake up with one hell of a headache. Yeah, I saw that thing on his arm. So what? Doc Feeney'll be back in town tomorrow..."

-- Pulling over to give aid to a lovely stranded female motorist in the Middle of Nowhere in the Dead of Night.

You get the idea. You've seen this movie. A million times.

A player can also earn Bennies for a particularly gruesome and well-acted (or badly-acted) Death Scene. The other players are allowed to judge as well, throwing Bennies of their own, instead of rotten tomatoes, if they see fit. These Bennies roll over, going to that player's new character. The new character enters the game immediately, being called in by the Chief to cover the shift of the recently (i.e. still warm) deceased.

The Villain: Doesn't matter. Not Important.

Blobs, Escaped Psychopaths, Wolf-men, Sideshow Freaks, Men-from- Mars, Giant Insects, Possessed Ghost Cars with Nobody Behind the Wheel, Failed Experiments, Killer Robots, Mutant ‘Gators or Vampire Cheerleaders.

Anything goes. Really.

What does matter, is that when the Villain shows up, you (the GM) must play it with style, to the hilt, and without mercy. Your job is to go all-out and do your level-best to kill the PCs. That's the point of this scenario. Bennies should flow like water, and your players ought to have an ample supply. Make 'em use 'em.

Final Thoughts: Be sure to set a time when your game ends. This scenario could potentially go on forever. If you sense your players aren't having fun anymore, wrap it up.

If you're playing this right, you'll run out of archetypes rather quickly. When you run out of Policemen (and your players wanna keep goin'), introduce Volunteer Firemen, Deputized Civilians (be sure to form up a Citizens' Posse) and National Guardsmen.

The Villain may or may not be defeated. You can have a Happy Ending or a big Question Mark. It's up to you.

When all is said and done, the PC that has the most Bennies (and is still alive) is declared the winner. Make him the Hero, give him the means to take out the Villain, pin a medal on him, and have a parade in his honor.

The End... ? Surprised

<roll credits>
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Ernie wrote:
-- Coffee/doughnut breaks

Or granola bars if your cop is a masochist (free benny if you can spot the reference).

Quote:
-- Appropriate cop name. Extra points for Irish, Italian, or Polish names (Sullivan, Kowalski, Rizzo, Callahan, Marino, Mahoney, Jablonski, etc.)

Let's not forget such classics names as Murphy or Riley.
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
Or granola bars if your cop is a masochist (free benny if you can spot the reference).

Sledge Hammer Mr. Green

Quote:
Let's not forget such classics names as Murphy or Riley.

Being the product of a Sullivan/Murphy union myself, I've got a million of 'em, but had to draw the line somewhere. Since you brought it up, how 'bout Brophy, Rooney, and O'Hara? I'll give you a chance to win back your Benny. Name that movie. Wink Hint: The Boys in Blue are working Halloween Night.
----------------------------------------------

A couple more thoughts on my scenario:

The players can gang up on the GM. They each give up a Benny and force him to orchestrate the death of his own character (NPC), the Desk Jockey/Dispatcher. The GM creates a new Dispatcher. With a different and more grating personality. Cool

Regarding the Villain and the players' ability to Introduce Plot Elements: The players can offer up all kinds of ideas (it MUST be in character), but the GM should only award a Benny if it gets incorporated into the story. You could end up with multiple horrors. For example...

One player mentions a news report about a Meteor Shower. Another brings up Abnormally Large Reptile Tracks. Yet another player makes reference to the Homecoming Game tonight.

If you like the way things are coming together, each of these players would get a Benny, and you go with Gridiron Gila-Monsters from Ganymede 6!

For now... Twisted Evil

As the game progresses, new ideas flow forth, and the Plot and Villains evolve.

Make sure the game moves quickly. There are things to do and PCs to kill. That's the point of this exercise.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Ernie wrote:
Sitting Duck wrote:

Sledge Hammer Mr. Green

Incorrect! No benny for you Razz

Here's a hint. One of the cop names I suggested should point you in the right direction.
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, Halloween's just 'round the corner...

Little did you guys know that I sowed the seed of this thread in an ancient, hallowed burial ground.

Bump. Twisted Evil
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Ernie wrote:

Little did you guys know that I sowed the seed of this thread in an ancient, hallowed burial ground.

I just picked up a D&D brain in a jar mini, so I figure if the wife is not working it'll be Rippers involving said mini on Halloween. One idea I have is a spate of grave robberies. I'm thinking a Frankenstein-type tale with the brain in a jar after a new body. Obviously a huge, deformed body. Smile
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either I plumb fergot, or I missed this thread the first time around...

I like XcomSquaddie's idea the best!

There's even some cool Reaper figures that would work.

SteveN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: