Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Best Represent a Man-portable Minigun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: How to Best Represent a Man-portable Minigun Reply with quote

I guess man portable is wrong, the men porting it are about 6'10", 375 pound ubermensch sporting a D12+ strength. The bullets will be caseless electronically fired ammunition (about 2 pounds per 100 bullets).

Total weight and kick makes it useless to players unless its mounted and even then the caseless ammo is only found on these jerks.

I am looking at the Necropolis book ad we have the Vehicle Mounted 20 Millimeter and the SAW 12 MM Heavy MG. The first lists it as havinga small burst effect (???) where as the other is just a simple 2d10.

What about treating it as suppressive fire only in 100 round bursts witha bonus to damage? seems like a less deadly way to go.

Or maybe suppressive fire only and small burst template Intimidation check.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to Best Represent a Man-portable Minigun Reply with quote

Blogotron wrote:
The first lists it as havinga small burst effect (???)

That would be a Small Burst Template, meaning the machine gun is an area effect weapon. So, it follows all the area effect rules - targeting areas instead of characters (ignoring Dodge), automatically hitting the least armored location of any victim, hitting multiple victims, and so forth.

As for personal high-rate machine guns, you have to make a couple of decisions before you choose appropriate mechanics.
Do you want:
Fast game play?
Area attacks?
Lots of shooting dice and a high RoF?
Tons of damage?

If you don't answer those questions then you'll end up in a quagmire of conflicting design goals, like the last couple of threads about rotary machine guns.

Personally:
"Walking Death" Rotary Machinegun
Range: 24/48/96; Damage 2d8+1; RoF 6; Shots 504; Weight 96 lbs; Min Str d12; Notes: AP 3, Snapfire, Suppressive fire affects a large burst template

It only fires on automatic, does great damage with excellent AP, can fire at 84 targets before reloading, has an additional -2 shooting if you move that round (and you can't use Rock and Roll! while moving), can suppress unusually large areas, weighs the Load Limit of a Brawny d12 strength hero, and imposes another -4 shooting if you have a d4 strength (-8 if walking and shooting).
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to Best Represent a Man-portable Minigun Reply with quote

Blogotron wrote:
I am looking at the Necropolis book ad we have the Vehicle Mounted 20 Millimeter and the SAW 12 MM Heavy MG. The first lists it as havinga small burst effect (???) where as the other is just a simple 2d10.

One is an autocannon, the other a machine gun. Have you considered the flechette chain gun from 2350?

Can only be used to conduct a Suppressive Fire attack. Each burst fires 50 rounds. Due to the chain gunís high rate of fire, targets have Ė1 to their Spirit rolls. Foes who roll a 1 or lower on their Spirit die (regardless of Wild Die) are hit and suffer damage normally.
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't got time to bleed...

Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHR dawg, that is who we are trying to emulate but in a reasonable fashion.

Reading about Predator I found that Ventura was laden with electrical cables strung across the set to power the weapon.

I like the idea of the Flechette Chaingun from Necropolis 2350 (triple ace games) on p. 44.

Alpha Project Autocannon
Range 20/40/60 Damage 2d10+1. Special: AP 2 Suppressive Fire only, Focus Fire

I am attenuating the range since I am envisioning a Street sweeper style weapon made for use in tight quarters, rather than a vehicle mounted movement suppression weapon (which needs more range since movement is so fast).
If a shooter chooses to focus his suppressive fire he uses a small blast template and the targets suffer a -2 to their Spirit rolls and are hit on a Spirit roll of 1 or 2. This takes a Full round to utilize and cannot move more than half Pace during either the aiming phase or the shooting phase.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean by "aiming phase" or "shooting phase" but...

I've seen Miniguns and the like treated like AOE weapons. I would modify the rules slightly:

-Minigun AOEs don't deviate,like other AOEs, a failed shooting roll means all the shots miss.
-Armor is applied normally as generally the shooter tries to hit center mass (ie the torso)
-Targets caught under the AOE get a chance to dive for cover to avoid damage. Only solid objects provide defense against the weapon.

Something like that anyway. I'm not real great with making rules because I generally play fast and loose with stuff.
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I am basing this attribute of this gun on the Aim maneuver "aiming phase" and "shooting phase" refer to the two round process used in the maneuver. I just didn't want anyone thinking that you get the Aiming benefits.
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DHRDawg: Huh... OK... Ya got time to duck? Cool

Jeez, now I'm gonna be quoting this movie for a week... #1eek13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: