Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space Hammer 40-Kay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inquisition6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Space Hammer 40-Kay Reply with quote

Couldn't necro the other thread from forever ago so I made this one. I have a pre-finished .pdf that I could use some help on, plus general editing and formatting. Download is on my blog (http://criticaldelirium.blogspot.com/2014/05/savaged-space-marines.html)

I am set on [most of] my weapons damage, however, and I'm very happy with those. Armor is pretty set too, mostly. And the "race" is filled out in a way I like, though not balanced at all towards the SW normal, or humans.

Vehicles need lots of work, as do some other areas. Its 45 pages but there is a good bit of tables, plus there is plenty of universe flavorings on things from weapon traits too.

My Fledgling RPG Blog: http://criticaldelirium.blogspot.com/
Eduardo
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rapidshare link says 'no data'.

Very interested in it. Smile
inquisition6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reshared it, that should fix it. If its problematic, maybe click the "My Data" tab if it shows up. If not then rapidshare has failed me.

The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest dropping all trademark terms from the document and webpage. GW are very hot on IP law and do search for violations. Generic terms like Space Marines are fine, but others aren't. If in doubt, check the GW site for a list of trademarked terms
inquisition6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's probably smart with this one. Then I suppose that coming up with recognizable stand-ins would be kinda fun.

Thanks for the tip.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One wrote:
Generic terms like Space Marines

Careful. Games Workshop claims to own Space Marine and all variants for "board games, parlor games, war games, hobby games, toy models and miniatures of buildings, scenery, figures, automobiles, vehicles, planes, trains and card games and paint, sold therewith."
Hopefully they'll take a shot at Microsoft's Halo-franchise, including the UNSC Space Marines, and get gutted. But until that day, be careful.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading through the document I have to wonder, why do Scouts have the Young Hindrance? That's super harsh. 3 attribute points and 10 skill points at character creation...

I understand you're not going for balanced, but wow, that's really harsh. I'd recommend taking that away, otherwise their fine.

Unless i you changed it and I missed that?
inquisition6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
The One wrote:
Generic terms like Space Marines

Careful. Games Workshop claims to own Space Marine and all variants for "board games, parlor games, war games, hobby games, toy models and miniatures of buildings, scenery, figures, automobiles, vehicles, planes, trains and card games and paint, sold therewith."
Hopefully they'll take a shot at Microsoft's Halo-franchise, including the UNSC Space Marines, and get gutted. But until that day, be careful.

Yeah, I understand protecting your IP, but there is secure and "Burn the heretics."

tigerguy786 wrote:
After reading through the document I have to wonder, why do Scouts have the Young Hindrance? That's super harsh. 3 attribute points and 10 skill points at character creation...

I understand you're not going for balanced, but wow, that's really harsh. I'd recommend taking that away, otherwise their fine.

Unless i you changed it and I missed that?

I haven't but now that you mention it, that is a bt harsh, I must have been going for "day one" initiates. It's a good change. Thanks.

How do some of the edges look or the mob rules?

tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skimming the Edges section, there are a TON. I would suggest going through and making sure all of them are actually useful. Truthfully, you only need a handful.

The Champion Edge, for example, seems unnecessary as it doesn't really do anything except grant weapons...which isn't worth an edge and really not what they should do anyway.

There is an edge in Weird War II and Necropolis 2350 called Tank Hunter that allows the user to adjust Vehicle Critical Hits 1 way or the other. I feel that might be a better version of the edge you have, but the one as is isn't bad either.

Just some ideas. Smile
inquisition6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted. Hmm, perhaps Champion could grant a bonus to fighting wild cards, in one on one melee combat, and maybe a charisma bonus within the unit?

PPoS
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet ! If you are interested I've statted up the Necrons. I have so far statted the: Necron Warrior, Scarab Swarm, Immortal, Deathmark, Lychguard, Triarch Praetorian, Flayed One, Wraith, Destroyer (and Lord), Spyder, C'tan Shard, Necron Lord (and Overlord), and the Cryptek. However, I'll have to remove everything that is copyrighted about it (its full of flavor text and pictures, all propery of GW) and turn it into a PDF.
inquisition6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I may take a look at those when I get the choice. I'm still getting the allies and enemies section, which is taking time. My efforts are scattered at the moment, and I'm always looking for play testers (with a group willing to do a write up) if anyone wants to help out.

PPoS
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrBBXSHpkPwOFlqdkRMYUgwYkE/edit?usp=sharing

I apologize for how the document looks, the original is much prettier. It was done in a rush. Also, I've not made any spelling checks or looked for any inconsistencies. However, you may do what you want with the document, I'm not looking for critique or feedback. As you might notice, I used the different 40K RPG books as the main reference when converting.
inquisition6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread necro (GET IT!?) sorry, but I thought I replied. Embarassed

I actually really like this and I can use it with only a few alterations for them to fit into my stats scheme I derived. Thanks!

Shenron
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in this, especially after getting my hands on the Sci fi companion.

I cannot seem to download the document, it is not showing up on the link.

GW are kind of pricks when it comes to their IP and they act like they own the concept of space marines. Hate to break it to them, but Space Marines have been around longer then GW. GW has created an amazing universe and fluff, but as a company I care for them not.

Robert Heinlein published Starship Troopers in 1959 (I know there are also earlier iterations of space marines but I cannot think of it at the moment)

GW was founded in 1975

Anyway, sorry about the rant.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like pendantry, look away now...

The troops in Heinlein's Starship Troopers were called Mobile Infantry. They're like GW marines in that they use powered armour, which itself comes from E.E. Doc Smith's Lensman novels in 1937, although I think Heinlein was the first one to think through the implications in some detail.

The term "space marines" seems to originate with an author called Bob Olsen in 1932. Many, many authors have used it since then.

We now return you to your scheduled programming... I need to get out more... Very Happy
inquisition6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look at getting it back up for a bit. But I still think its wise to slightly alter the names of non-generic things enough to recognize. It'll keep me out of court perhaps.

Shenron
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sablemage wrote:
If you don't like pendantry, look away now...

The troops in Heinlein's Starship Troopers were called Mobile Infantry. They're like GW marines in that they use powered armour, which itself comes from E.E. Doc Smith's Lensman novels in 1937, although I think Heinlein was the first one to think through the implications in some detail.

The term "space marines" seems to originate with an author called Bob Olsen in 1932. Many, many authors have used it since then.

We now return you to your scheduled programming... I need to get out more... Very Happy

Thank you, I had that information somewhere in my head. Even though Heinlein did not call them space marines - I think he was the first one to really have it all figured out in a realistic way.

inquisition6 wrote:
I'll take a look at getting it back up for a bit. But I still think its wise to slightly alter the names of non-generic things enough to recognize. It'll keep me out of court perhaps.

If your worried, I could just PM you my e-mail and you send it over to me that way.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - Heinlein did not have the original cool idea, but he was the guy who figured out how it would work.

And every generation since then, at least one up-and-coming SF writer takes a shot at that title... Joe Haldeman and John Scalzi to name but two. Smile
inquisition6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shenron wrote:
inquisition6 wrote:

If your worried, I could just PM you my e-mail and you send it over to me that way.

May have to work, as RapidShare has decided to go the "pay for storage" route.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: