Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I sculpted me a Mohave Rattler (stage 2 - tentacles!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamfanboy
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: So I sculpted me a Mohave Rattler (stage 2 - tentacles!) Reply with quote

So for the past few months I've been deep into playing a game called Super Dungeon Explore, for which I've sharpened my sculpting talents, and now that I'm finally returning to Deadlands I've got it on my mind to sculpt me a Mojave Rattler....

But how BIG would the bastich be?

I've had several thoughts on how to do it; one would be placing it on a 4 inch by 4 inch base (20 feet on a side, scale) and having it 'bursting' up from the ground another 6 inches (30 feet), with more obviously below and the tentacles reaching around the 'mini'. On the plus side? Easy enough to make; just build it in sections from Sculpey and make it hollow; then after it's baked add the tentacles.

On the downside, even as big as it would be, it might not convey the SIZE of a rattler.

A harder project, but one that might really drive home how big they are, might be to sculpt one as they're shown in the rulebook, all curled up around itself.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the first result; not only will it be more dynamic, but it'll be easier - and easier is not always worse. Still, I'd ruther hear some opinions from other GMs who've dropped Rattlers into games. How big is it? Am I being too 'small' with a 4x4 inch facing?

Last edited by iamfanboy on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Classic Marshal's Handbook - adult Mojave rattlers are 50 to 100 yards long (25" to 50") and their tentacles are about 1/4 that length (6" to 12").

Something that long and massive probably has a diameter around 1/10 the length (5 to 10 yards). So a base 2.5" to 5" should be the correct scale for the actual width of the beast.

P.S. I think the small picture of the curled up rattler is supposed to be a baby. The pictures of a rattler reared up and angry are the adults.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this quandary reminds me of the time we played hero clix with a red ski boot standing in for galactus
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I saw the title, I thought, "This is a job for Super Sculpey!" Or just Sculpey.

I figure that representing the ENTIRE creature wouldn't be entirely true to the monster. You might as well just have one piece to represent the mouth/tentacles bursting out of the ground (I'd use a wire frame for the tentacles), and then perhaps another "loop" section to represent another portion of Rattler sticking out of the ground and going back into it again, just as a reminder that, hey, this thing is pretty big!

Hmm. Really, I suppose the same basic concept would be great for Pirates RPG for a sea serpent.

Anyway, if you go forward with this, I want to see pictures! Very Happy
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
reminds me of the time we played hero clix with a red ski boot standing in for galactus
Laughing Laughing Laughing I love it Laughing Laughing Laughing

I find this project interesting to say the least. I hope you record your process and post it all, with pictures, when you're finished.

Would a D&D Purpleworm help you out? Scroll down the page to see it. All these pictures are in proper scale to each other. Look at the more normal sized 28mm miniatures to get a better idea of the sizes.

I know the Purpleworm is not going to be huge enough but it might still help out.

I also really like Jordan Peacock's idea of a coil looping out of the ground.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
Quote:
reminds me of the time we played hero clix with a red ski boot standing in for galactus
Laughing Laughing Laughing I love it Laughing Laughing Laughing

And every one died quickly and badly. We never played again it was not worth finishing the 12 inch wide clix diel for a game that lasted 5 min and whiped 40 heroes
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
Would a D&D Purpleworm help you out?

A 40 foot man-eating creature just doesn't strike the terror it should when it's called a Purpleworm.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
iamfanboy
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
warrenss2 wrote:
Would a D&D Purpleworm help you out?

A 40 foot man-eating creature just doesn't strike the terror it should when it's called a Purpleworm.

My outstanding memories of the purple worms is when a GM tossed them at us as grudge monsters after I used a charm spell to completely derail his 'carefully planned encounter'.

And aren't the Montana rattlers purple? I always thought that was a nice nod to the D&D monsters, even if rattlers are more Call of Cthulhu Elder God meets Tremors.

But yeah, I'm definitely going through with it. It shan't be too hard, actually; I spent all day at college planning how to do it. I'll probably do a 4 inch by 6 inch base, though I don't know if I'll do the secondary coil - I'd LIKE to, but I only bought so much Sculpey and I want to make some baby rattlers too.

On the other front, though, I've found PERFECT and CHEAP los diablos and automatons; take a look at #32 and #39 on this page (the Blood Golem and Gorgon)

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/mg/un

the automatons will need some weapons, but that's no never mind; it's a HUGE step above what I was going to do (and sad to say, also better than the Reaper Minis ones, as much as I love Reaper).

And Thunderforge, how goes the wiki? Sorry I stopped contributing, but I have a TON of college work, and my relaxation time went to playing Super Dungeon Explore.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We could always call it something different... How about Mohave Rattler? Laughing Laughing Laughing

I/m thinking that wire can be glued into pinvise drilled holes into the tips of the teeth and have green-stuff added to those wires to make the tentacles. Add the Jordan Peacock loop de loop to make it look bigger.

I don't see the color of the beast in a quick scan of the Deadlands Reloaded book. I think I would look up some decent pictures of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake and paint it up like that. Might make it a little bit more scary for the players.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For after the battle you need to scupt

1 a wiggling slimy bag representing a player trapped in the rattler's stomoch

2 a giant rack of ribs over a camp fire
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Mohave Rattlers taste best if cooked over ghostrock charcoal.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
I don't see the color of the beast in a quick scan of the Deadlands Reloaded book.

The had it in Deadlands Classic where it is kind of…pinkish (thank goodness they didn't call it a Pinkworm!). The picture was also included in the Deadlands Classic to Savage Worlds Conversion (4MB PDF) before they released Reloaded, so you can check it out there.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
iamfanboy
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the first stage done...

Here's a shot of it with the armature still bare, as well as one of the sections laid out - like a durn fool, at first I didn't think about how the sections would decrease in size as I went along the frame.

here's a shot of the first stage finished; because I'm more comfortable using Kneadatite for sculpting and don't much care for Sculpey, this is a VERY rough version; I'll be smoothing more of the detail later on. Still, I'm pleased with its framework.

Here's a shot with a couple of 28mm minis for reference....

And here's a closeup of the minis, 'cause I like showing off what little skill I have. Razz

warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LIKE it!!!!! Surprised Surprised Surprised

Keep it coming!

Are you going to add the extra loop like Jordan said? To give the illusion of greater size.

What kind of Keandite are you using? I'm new to modifying miniatures and have only used greenstuff.
iamfanboy
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenstuff IS Kneadatite. Heh.

I dunno if I'll add the extra coil or not; I'd LIKE to, but that thing took nearly half a pound of Sculpey and I still wanna make some rattler Young 'uns.

Not to mention that I found out it's safe to bake Sculpey twice, so I'm going to be adding more details with another layer of Sculpey and save my greenstuff for more important things, like tentacles.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often see the green stuff and the white stuff at thrift stores for about $1 for two to four sticks the size of a stick of butter. I pinched the wrappers and it was still soft, does it have a shelf life as long as it is still soft
iamfanboy
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the greenstuff that I (just finished) using up this year I've had since 2005... so I have no idea how long the shelf life is, but it's LONG.

It's the blue/yellow stuff, not blue/white. But as far as I know they're the same stuff.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the ???stuff you guys use... which is your favorite? And least expensive?

I'm still new to the sculpting/altering miniatures hobby.
iamfanboy
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like greenstuff, personally - it's easy to work with, though it is kinda expensive to sculpt BIG things in. 4 ounces cost me about 15 bucks. Then again, that goes a LONG way.

Here's some more shots of the Rattler - with the tentacles installed, as well as the basecoat in place. First off, from a more overhead point of view:

The tentacles are paperclips cut to different lengths and bent down; I find them to be more durable than just sculpting them outta GS. If I needed thicker I would have thickened them up with GS, but they actually looked all right to me.

A models-eyes point of view:

Quite... frightening, I'd say.

Lastly, the case I made to hold it, because it's a big awkward piece of menace:

Because this is the same case I'll be putting zombies into, as well as other critters, I want them shaking in fear every time I reach for the white case, lest I plop the Rattler on the table.

I have a question, though - should I put the torso and/or legs of someone sticking out of the mouth? Would that be scary or comedic? Hrm....

I should have painted and finished pictures sometimes this weekend.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamfanboy wrote:
I have a question, though - should I put the torso and/or legs of someone sticking out of the mouth? Would that be scary or comedic? Hrm....

If you could, I'd go for a spot where you could "attach" limbs from other bits packs or from your own "spare parts" bucket, so you could have them if you wanted, but not if you didn't.

Especially if you had spare parts for your PCs minis, so you could leave a little of Ol' Earl danglin' out when he gets eaten. I mean, isn't adding insult to injury what GMing is all about?
Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: