Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Social rolls modified by Social Class, Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haterofshame
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Social rolls modified by Social Class, Help? Reply with quote

Hi have been toying with a social class system that modify rolls for persuasion, streetwise.

The reson is my upcoming Victorian action/horror campaign in London, and the Londoners were quite class fixated Example: A noble is running around in whitechapel (worst neighbourhood) asking questions will not get answers easily.

Here is what i got.

4 Social classes

Upper, rich tycoons, nobles, high ranking officers
Middle, homeowners, shopowners
Working class. Police officers, common workers
Low, stree urchins, beggars, cutthroats.

Low will have -2 on charisma based ckecks in upper class but +1 in low class neighbourhood

Upper will have -2 on charisma based checks in low class neighbourhood and +1 in upper class neighbourhood or.

The modifiers extends to single peroson as well. A noble persuading a beggar who happens to be in Chelsea (rich area) still has -2 to the roll.

Middle and working class have no modifiers as they are the middle ground.

Critique???
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Social rolls modified by Social Class, Help? Reply with quote

Space: 1889 - Red Sands has a fairly well-developed social class system. It covers some of the same ground, but also gives bonuses to certain Skills depending on your Status and the Status of your target. I'd recommend checking that out.
haterofshame
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Space 1881!!! Have been meaning to check it out. It fell through the cracks ( deep cracks ) of my mind, cool thanks Loremaster..
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space: 1889's system isn't really much more involved than what you have, but it does have some Social Level-based Edges that might be of use. It also has a system of favors that you can call in or be called in on as needed. In the player's corner, the favors system is good for getting a character out of a jam. In the GM's corner, it's a good adventure hook generator. No gentleman or proper lady would refuse a request from someone to whom they owed a favor!

Two of the Edges I really like in Space: 1889 are Twit and Snob. If you're a Twit, you get a bonus on Taunt rolls vs. people of higher Social Level. If you're a Snob, you get a bonus on Intimidation rolls vs. people of lower Social Level. The funny thing is, you can have both Edges! Laughing
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that far from what's in Gaslight, too, but in Gaslight it extends to other things such as Notice as well, in addition to having an "uncivilized" social class as well if you want to check it out.

- Marc
Best Internet page ever
haterofshame
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, will be getting the Gaslight pdf later today. From the reviews I read it think it will suit my ideas better, but thanks again..
Timon
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a British historical (but this stuff is still around) perspective I can tell you that there is crucial distinction between upper and lower-middle class.

Doctors, lawyers, bankers, stockbrokers and business owners are upper-middle class. Tradesmen and shop-owners are lower-middle class.

The greatest snobbery occurs between classes that are adjacent, particularly between upper-class and the aspiring upper-middle and of course upper and lower-middle.

There is no "Low" class as such, the underclass roles you describe are destitute and criminal members of the working class and not a cohesive group.

Class should also effect the Connections edge: having connections is high places would be exceptional for anyone not at least middle-class. For an upper-class player is should be almost a given.
haterofshame
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think your rignt, weel the wikis almost prove it, but use the Social class distinctions from Kerboros club as I am not all too familiar with the real social status at the time... Think I will stick with my social groups, easier to modify than upper, aspiring middle class, lower middle class etc.. No offense, just easier

Was planning on letting players choose which class they want, with the modifiers explained. Upper have to be rich or noble to get the funds neccesary to sustain a household.

Yaeh I hear you, connections should be altered, actually I think there is an edge in Kerboros Club called old boys NetWork. Will look that up when I get home.

Am so stealing the different words for Us and non-us,

Thanks for the links and the extensive indput!!!
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haterofshame wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, will be getting the Gaslight pdf later today. From the reviews I read it think it will suit my ideas better, but thanks again..

Cool!

Let us know how it works out, since that was one of the parts that I really liked about making the SW version of Gaslight.

- Marc
Best Internet page ever
haterofshame
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, read a really posetive review and it had parts I could scavenge:-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: