Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plot point campaigns. What are the good ones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundark
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Plot point campaigns. What are the good ones? Reply with quote

If you had to suggest a plot point campaign to someone what one would it be? Genre does not matter.

thanks
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them?
50 Fathoms is generally regarded as "the best" due to its player-empowerment.
The Flood is awesome, fun, and is one of the few times you get to be good guys and initiate a major natural disaster.
Last Sons is awesome, fun, and explores the flaws of violence as a problem-solving solution. Also, you get to spend a lot of time running around in the spirit world.
The Deadlands: Noir plot points are all lots of fun, though a bit outside my players' comfort zones (they had a good time, but are reluctant to return).
Slipstream is flexible, fun, and very retro sci-fi. (It can be adapted to just about any travel- and war- focused setting, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, an Eberron campaign, or most other settings.)
Rippers is a world-hopping blast of Victorian culture and monster slaying. It can be a bit stodgy, but the literary nods are lots of fun.
Necessary Evil is a hoot. Not only do you get to be bad guys, you get to be super-powered bad guys. AND you get to be the heroes at the same time.
All of the Weird Wars lines (WW2, Vietnam / Tour of Darkness, and Rome) are great fun, if you want a military-themed campaign.
Triple Ace Games has several lines of serialized adventures in their Daring Tales of ... products. Adventure, Chivalry, the Space Lanes, and the Sprawl are (I believe) all of them. Good stuff, though not actually Plot Point Campaigns.
Suzerain has five or six plot points (I'm a bit behind) to choose from. I've been impressed with all of their adventures, so it seems hard to go wrong with them.
Rune Punk has a solid plot point for their excellent setting. A bit old but still good.
Necropolis 2350 has (at least) two, one in the 2350 book and another in 2355 book. Both of which are good fun, if your group can buckle down and play it (not everyone can).
Solomon Kane has a nice one, but that book can be difficult to snag.
War of the Dead gets an honorable mention. It is not a plot point campaign, but it is a long campaign and a pretty good one.
Interface Zero 2.0 has a pretty good-looking PPC, but unless you were in the Kickstarter you will have to wait to see it.
There are others, but I'm forgetting names by this point.

Honestly, I don't think there is a bad plot point campaign out there. If you are open to the style of a plot point campaign, and really don't care about genre, then you should be pleased with all of them.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nowhere near as familiar with as many as ValhallaGH, but I'll toss this out.

Quiet a few, Tour of Darkness, Rippers, Necessary Evil, have the PCs working for someone, going on missions, etc.

50F does not, and I'm pretty sure Last Sons doesn't either, I'm not sure about the rest.

Some players and GMs are OK with that, but some would rather be independent. It's worth checking before you start. There are pros and cons to both styles. I used to prefer the independent/sandboxy ones like 50F, but lately I'm more drawn to the more structured ones.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent PPC I really like is the one for Accursed (a setting from the licensee Melior Via). A problem I have with some PPCs is how it's effectively required that a plot point adventure be immediately followed by the next one, hampering the GM's ability to insert sidequests as desired. With the Accursed PPC, you can insert as many or as few unrelated scenarios as you desire.
Gundark
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah one of the reasons why I was looking at PPC was the idea that say unlike Paizo's offerings is that a PPC doesn't need the group to go from point to point and allow us to do other things in between. Our group likes side quests and we don't like it when we have to go from adventure to adventure in the overall plot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: