Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Star Wars Conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: My Star Wars Conversion Reply with quote

I was wondering what you guys think of my Star Wars Conversion https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T_cxcyOjVA1hESgA19qTehO4vvk27sTBMCOn02TqvHc/edit

I borrowed ideas I saw on the forums. I am open to suggestions if you guys have other ideas.
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll need to read that through with thought, but I like the simpleness of it Smile

By a glance, some things might need some clarifying. I'd like to see an example of starship conversion & capital ship combat. But I still like a lot the shortness of the main document, so if you're going to write any extra stuff it might work better on a separate document. And as there are several other SW conversions, you could shamelessly tell people to use species from one of the conversions Wink

Anyway, thanks for sharing it, it looks quite neat!

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
Alastor04
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the starship combat needs testing but my idea was, for the capital ships instead of your card determining range in a chase scene it would determine how many batteries you could fire at a given target. That will help in handling ship facing and weapon placement.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been contemplating how to make A SW SW. Wink

After listening through almost all of the Star Wars books on audio of the past couple monthes, I can see how the FUDGE system ala Dresden Files RPG can be easily converted to Star Wars, but I love Savage Worlds.

I'll read through and LYK.
Alastor04
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read most of the books and have all of the Saga Edition rules but I prefer Savage Worlds ease of use. Saga Edition did have some issues which my players took advantage of. I went back and forth on it for a while but I decided to take a less is more approach and focus on what we see in the movies as far as deciding what to convert.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with puppet only being a dark side power.
I'd break the powers down by areas, mental & physical. Then have sub groups from there. Combat, stealth et c.
Alastor04
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made Puppet a dark side power as they are directly controling the actions of another and can have the target harm themselves.

For the Jedi Mind Trick we see in the movies, I see it more as an unusually strong suggestion. They don't have to do what you want and you cannot control how they perform the action. I see that as Boosting the Charisma Trait and making a persuasion check,
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now stat this

and this

www.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/DanCoGames/starwars/
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really good!

Some quick feedback:

• Soldier edge ignores armor weight, but armors are not given weights.
  • I LOVE the use of boost trait to give +2/+4 Charisma as a means of doing "Jedi Mind Trick" and making outright puppet a dark side power.
  • I LOVE that using dark side powers produces vague and ominous "consequences." That's a much better way of handling it than "get too many dark side points and *poof* you're an NPC."
  • Using modern guns as blasters may be underpowered especially if you allow melee weapons to be vibro for +2 damage. I'm not sure though, because some people feel that modern guns are better than archaic melee weapons so maybe this really just balances things out.
  • Lightsaber granting medium cover is really very powerful. This might be better if it required an action or something.

-- 77IM
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to put together my own conversion.

Some of the things I was thinking about:
The Jedi Professional Edge provides a lightsaber and access to an additional power, but it also determines your starting powers (to represent the intense, but rigid training padawans get): Bolt (Force Slam/Push), Deflection, Detect/Conceal Force and Boost (keep it separate from Decrease? Wouldn't that be a Dark side effect?). All other allowed powers can be purchased with edges as normal.

Use the Deadlands: Reloaded martial artist rules for Deflection (they can deflect the shot back at a target up to 12 squares away with an Agility roll at -4, but this only works on blaster fire). I also added a rule that the Deflection power could be activated as part of the same action used to draw and ignite a lightsaber (so as part of a regular action, or a free action if they have the Quick Draw edge). I thought this would better represent the instinctive nature of the blaster deflection, as opposed to a conscious "Ok, I'm going up against three guys with blasters, better activate Deflection now." Got the idea from the Adept Professional edge.

Use lasersword stats for lightsabers, Double AP on all blasters and treat Stormtroopers as wearing Infantry Battle Suits w/ Environmental seals, comms, etc. That way stormtroopers can still go down from decent blaster fire, but can a pummeling from your average riff-raff (or even a guy with slugthrower) and not really be phased.

I definitely agree with using No Power Points, but I'd track ammo at least a little (blasters had 50-100 shots, but you could go through those pretty quick with full auto and 3RBs in a fire fight).
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really like the Blast cone shape (or effect, that's a lot of damage) to represent a their Force Slam attacks that can knock down a dozen droids in an arc.

Looking around I saw Havoc and it's ability to throw targets everywhere. I modified it's range to 0 (adjacent to the Force User) in exchange for causing 2d6 damage. Also all targets are flung directly away from the Force User, rather than in a random direction.
Alastor04
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here are some of my ideas that I wasn't sure about:

- Having Lightsaber Deflection handled by the Deflection Power and when an enemy rolls one on a shooting roll the shot is redirected back at them.

-The other option is changing it to light cover but I want the Jedi to move around during combat, not just take cover like the other characters.

As for Force Push I was actually going to have that be a trapping of Bolt and them being shaken is like them being knocked down.

Here are some questions I have for you guys:

- Powers like Bolt could potentially have a lot of different trappings but the same effect, should I make players take the power additional times for the different trappings?

-How would you guys handle the Sever Force power? I was thinking of using Banish but on living characters it would cut off their connection to the Force.

-Should I increase gun damage by one die?
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, jedi moving around combat have often cover from others, and other risk shooting their allies. This gives them a bit extra protection, but it also removes some of the effectiveness of the edge. Not sure about it.

Not sure about boost CHA - would it allow disciplined soldiers to let someone who's very likely to be someone they are looking for to go? I'm always trying to tell one of my +6 cha character's player that 'No, he's not going to allow you to fly, after the last try he's been especially instructed not to!' There's limits to normal persuasion, which I think this ability should push.

I like blast being able to hit multiple opponents, but I'm not sure if it's too strong - I've never used it and don't remember how it actually worksHmm, jedi moving around combat have often cover from others, and other risk shooting their allies. This gives them a bit extra protection, but it also removes some of the effectiveness of the edge. Not sure about it.

Not sure about boost CHA - would it allow disciplined soldiers to let someone who's very likely to be someone they are looking for to go?

I like blast being able to hit multiple opponents, but I'm not sure if it's too strong - I've never used it and don't remember how it actually works

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
blacksunvigo
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting! As for Deflection, I use a Deflection derived stat (2+1/2 Use the Force (Spirit) skill). Multiple shots in the same round gain shot-by-shot gang up bonus. Thought I'd share. Smile
Alastor04
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hello,

I finally found time to pick up Savage Worlds again and I have revised my setting rules. Here they are: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aSENLhVhpn_O_i7W0aFgYS_VdKBH-xQStxZymoeWn98/edit

Let me know what you guys think.
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After just a quick once over, I like it! I have done this as well and think some of mine is in there. Was mine one of the ones you looked at? If so, thanks!

The only thing that stood out at me was failed shooting rolls deflecting back. I think to do this you shood at least have a UTF check, not an automatic hit. I also think you should require Sense to use the Parry score for a deflection, and Sense and Alter to redirect, or maybe spend a Bennie to try it with a penalty without. This (not the Bennie part) worked great in my game. Maybe you've already considered this if you've looked at mine, in which case nevermind. Wink Oh, I just thought of this! You could roll UTF a target number of the shooter's shooting roll to deflect, raise redirects back, two raises to any target. Sorry, brainstorming there.

I've been thinking of some higher edges, Sense Master, Lightsaber Master, etc, that build on up to a true Jedi Master by legendary. These would allow choices of faster (multiaction with less/no penalty) or bigger effects, the same being true for powers requiring combinations of edges. Have you considered trying to build a Jedi with the major Pacifist hindrance as an option? I did that for the kids after church last Sunday to show what a tank he could be. High fighting to raise the parry, taunt to attract attention, you get the idea.

I like the idea of Novices being padawans, not knights, but maybe that's because I was playing with padawans gamers.

Anyway, maybe this isn't what you were after, but it's a fun subject and setting. I'd love to talk more about this here, but only if I haven't offered more than I should already. I'm pretty new, gamer life speaking, and don't want to seem rude. I really do like what you've done. In fact, I will steal the Jedi/Sith/Force Adept edge idea. After seeing a SWEX/SWUX edge that gave another edge and a charisma bonus (Noble), i see that's a slick way to get other stuff in.

Well done!
Stephen "Trotter"
Trotter
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just realized I was looking at the first document. I have a squirmy baby boy in my lap and I'm just thankful he hasn't kicked my iPad across the room! I'll look at the new one later on.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules look fun. They do fit Savage Worlds better than d20. You can call it the Star Wars Savaged Edition

To be evil is to live backwards
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast, simple, and has a lot of similarities to my own conversion. Not all directions I would have gone, but it looks good on a quick read-through.
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that Star Wars is the most popular source material to Savage! This looks cool and I'll add to my collection of others. Some Day[TM] I'll actually run one but an opportunity to start a Star Wars campaign just hasn't presented itself yet.

I'm tempted to run one in a part of the galaxy that has been cut off from the rest with a Force Deadzone that somehow affects FTL travel. So there is very little input/interference/travel/contact from the rest of the Galaxy. There may be a virtually independent Jedi Council and an ongoing battle with a Sith-like cult but it's smaller potatoes.

Think of it like your adventurers starting out in a remote but large mountain plateau valley so you can grow more naturally until they are ready to leave and go out into the Big Bad World.
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: