Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heavy Armor and Heavy Weapons - Fights vs. Gargantuans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshal G
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Heavy Armor and Heavy Weapons - Fights vs. Gargantuans Reply with quote

Hi all

A little too afraid of Clint to ask this in the official rules forum, so asking it here instead Wink

I'm running the Flood and unevitably some Maze Dragons will soon cross my posse's way

very minor spoiler wrote:
as can be found in the northern most glyph location

So I'm preparing the fight (and a dungeon for it - any suggestions or experiences by GMs who already ran this are MOST welcome, by the way) and read the stats for the maze dragons.
As they're gargantuan, they can only be hurt by heavy weapons...

And the only heavy weapons I found in all of the Deadlands books, are
- the Burst Power (none of my players has an appropriate AB) or
- 8+ sticks of dynamite.
So in order to not get a guaranteed TPK (or a one-man-show by the only guy who can handle dynamite pretty well), what options do I have?

I thought of aimed shots at the eyes, but that sounds too easy as well, and wouldn't/shouldn't kill the creatures...
Then, I read somewhere that flamethrowers ignore armor, but should they just as easily ignore heavy armor, too?

Thanks in advance, a rather puzzled Marshal
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called shots are an option, but one you're not fond of.

Additional options include:
Cannons. Artillery fire can damage anything, including a Maze Dragon (i.e. is a Heavy Weapon).
As of Deluxe edition, the blast power is a Heavy Weapon. (May not be available though.)
Ramming. Sure, it will probably beat the hell out of the vessel, but collisions can harm Heavy Armor vehicles (even when the other vehicle is not HA), so it seems like a valid way to damage maze dragons.
Entangle. Tie the darn thing up and sail right by.
Avoiding the Fight. Seriously, just because it is there doesn't mean that they have to slay it. Just ensure that there are ways to move around that let them do the job without being eaten. (And if the players don't use those ways then they deserve their character deaths.)

Good luck.
Marshal G
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Valhalla

Thanks for the ideas. I came up with the avoiding one myself (grabbing all sorts of food available as prey for the dragons and then sneaking in in the meantime...

We'll see. As noted above, in that case my posse WOULD more or less have to confront the dragons, as they need to get directly into their lair...

But yeah, maybe they surprise me Wink
Ten of Swords
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is necessarily a problem you have to solve. It's a problem the PCs have to solve! Just don't ambush them with the dragon... let them know of it or see it far enough ahead that they can think of a way to deal with the dragon and then play it out naturally. Players are good at that sort of thing.

You could also let them do the called shots not to do damage, but to slow the beast down. Shoot its eyes or nostrils or maw to make it back off and shake its head and blink tears for a round and give you a chance to run for it or do something else clever.
Marshal G
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ten

Fully agreed. Doesn't hurt to have some scenarios in my mind before the session, though.

By the way, if someone runs the flood or wants his posse enter a maze dragon's lair, here's some WoW screenshots I modified and a map my wife made for me:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/45847074/1/deadlandsMazeDragons?h=3db6bf

(obviously, 6/7 are player handouts, the big one is the DIN A3 size map (including dragon eggs corner, baby/toddler corner and young'ones pool) to be used in the session)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: