Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NE Varient idea so crazy I'll be baned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: NE Varient idea so crazy I'll be baned Reply with quote

Necessary Horror

I dont have necessary evil but did look in the book a bit when someone used it for ideas for a Paladium supers game

Thought this up on a 45 min walk back from the singles club (library) last night after a wild night of Skipo and Pepsi

For untold paltry human generations we have been here, the silent shadows behind the thrones of man. They have been our feed stock, our plaything, our minions and slaves. They have unknowingly fought our wars and in turn we have set there struggles in motion. Always we strive to keep there hatreds focused on each other against the enemy beyond the hill and not the shadow in the corner. For with unity of purpose they have at times been strong and a danger to us. Now we must take up this mantle of unity and join together, let the call go out to every counsel, pack, tribe and synod. We can not wait for the human's to rise up, they could in the end prevail but at a great lose and the remainder would be forever stout before the winds of bondage. To hide among the humans they must be many, to rule them they must be dissolute and not stand proud. All creatures of darkness must come together and throw off the tentacled grip upon the world so that we may once again rule.

Have the players roll up modern horror characters like in Vampire using the NE rules

Encourage they be different monsters that don't normally work together

Tell them they start at a truce conference

Then have a horde of Cthulhu invade earth through dimension gates and defeat the worlds armies. Apply Cthulhu names and descriptions to all the V'Sori creatures and NPC. For the sake of simplicity use the same stats and game mechanics from necessary evil. The equipment is tecnorganic in description.

Rather then Super heroes that have been wiped out

All the Slayers are dead

All the watchers are dead

Every BPRD and similar org in the world has been destroyed and it's members are dead

Van Helsing's "Explorer's Club" has been destroyed and it's members are dead

Now the monster have to save the world

Diss&Cuss

Last edited by VonDan on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whe I 1st read NE, I thought how easy it would be to convert to fantasy. aleins = deamons or some other evil race.. and the control/takeover would happen slowly. with all the big names killed off after a while.. all the pc's & heroes are 'conan-esque'. more a cut above than typical heroes. magicv instead of super powers, magic items for gadgets, super skills and stats, just because they're heroes.. way above the normals.
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Pinnacle should seriously make this book.

Call it Unnecessary Evil? World of Darkerness?
Enno
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just use Pinnacles Superpowers and Horror Companions with a sprinkle of Reality Blurs' Realms of Cthulhu?

Or you can dust off Rippers, and substiute Ripperware with Superpowers. A lodge would be a specialized and codified superhero team - with a lair...
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FinaLLY A VAMPIRE,WEREWOLF, MONSTER GAME THAT DOESN'T SUCK! Huzzah I amn all for this idea.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like Hellspawn.
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen something like this before. I'll try to remember what it was called. Basically it was post-apoc, but the monsters (vampires, werewolves, etc.) were defending their human herds to survive. It was a variant sourcebook for an RPG, not one of the bigger names. Now it's gonna bug me until I remember it.

It is an interesting concept though, if you're into that style of play.
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XcomSquaddie wrote:
I've seen something like this before. I'll try to remember what it was called. Basically it was post-apoc, but the monsters (vampires, werewolves, etc.) were defending their human herds to survive. It was a variant sourcebook for an RPG, not one of the bigger names. Now it's gonna bug me until I remember it.

Was it Monte Cook's World of Darkness? I'm mostly guessing, but it sounds familiar.
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Saved my sanity.

The game I was thinking of was Nightlife by Stellar Games. Specifically, a book called KinRise, which was a variant sourcebook like I thought.

The basic premise is that the PC's are supernatural beasties of various sorts fighting to defend their turf. Not only against other creatures like themselves, but worse things that are hunting them.

Looks like there were three rules editions and a fair number of sourcebooks.
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GranFalloon wrote:
XcomSquaddie wrote:

Was it Monte Cook's World of Darkness? I'm mostly guessing, but it sounds familiar.

Definitely not. While the concepts sound similar, apparently the Nightlife setting was fairly different. I'm somewhat familiar with WoD, but not really with Nightlife.

ETA:
And I should add that VonDan's idea is VASTLY different from the RPG I remembered.

Last edited by XcomSquaddie on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i have never read any WOD book any similarity would be because they read this post and sent themselves a message back in time to use my idea.

Other then looks this is just a reskined Necessary evil, use the same adventures and plot points just change the names to protect the guilty

And if you set this in the 1930's or 1940's all the player have to start as one of the universal monsters
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
And if you set this in the 1930's or 1940's all the player have to start as one of the universal monsters

Dibs on CftBL!
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XcomSquaddie wrote:
Ok. Saved my sanity.

The game I was thinking of was Nightlife by Stellar Games. Specifically, a book called KinRise, which was a variant sourcebook like I thought.

The basic premise is that the PC's are supernatural beasties of various sorts fighting to defend their turf. Not only against other creatures like themselves, but worse things that are hunting them.

Looks like there were three rules editions and a fair number of sourcebooks.

And BF Zar I just found a paper back today in the 50 cent bin called Nightlife about monster gangs in NYC

I think next you should talk about the most rare rpg book you can think of with 1,000 bills lost inside as book marks
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XcomSquaddie wrote:
VonDan wrote:

Dibs on CftBL!

If that stands for Creature from the Black Lagoon, wasn't he from the Fifties?
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of one very important setting rule.

Since the set up sorta sounds like the world of darkness

If any player comes to the game in a cape or with black makeup, or drinks grape juice pretending it is blood

the GM says

"Abbigayle Van Helsing just popped out from behind a garbage can with an automatic shotgun mounted with a UV flashlight sight and loaded with slugs carved from blessed sections of the true cross that have been aged in holy water for 100 years and drilled through the end and given a tungsten/silver core and coated in phosphorus"

Booyaa

Sitting Duck wrote:

Rather than give range of decades lets just say if the game is set when fedoras were in fashion
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
XcomSquaddie wrote:
VonDan wrote:

Dibs on CftBL!

Mighta been. Too cool to leave out though. Same for the BLOB... Although that might be a Shoggoth.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creature from the Black Lagoon was 1954

But that can be a another re skin of necessary evil ware little green men invade in a flying saucers with ray guns and it is up to the 1950 boogie men like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Commies and Elvis to save the world
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:

So does this mean I can now say Von Dan stole one of my ideas? Wink

www.peginc.com
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
VonDan wrote:

So does this mean I can now say Von Dan stole one of my ideas? Wink

The only one of your ideas i'm aware of is the unfinished mech rules, so obviously you saw this post and gave the idea to one of the out of work CIA remote viewers you have on retainer and had him send the idea back in time to him self and deliver it to you by Owlgrame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: