Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Races of the Hyborian Age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouthymerc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Races of the Hyborian Age Reply with quote

Races of the Hyborian Age

Characters get the Bonus Edge and choose a culture from the following list. They also start with the automatic languages and may choose a number of languages equal to their Smarts die from the bonus languages. If they run out of choices they may choose any other languages from other lists.

Cimmerian
Cimmeria
Blunt: Cimmerians have a -2 penalty to Charisma.
Fierce: Cimmerians have a +1 bonus to Fear tests.
Strong: Cimmerians start with a d6 Strength.
Automatic Language: Cimmerian
Bonus Languages: Aquilonian, Hyperborean, Nordheimer, Pictish

Himelian Tribesman (Wazuli)
Kosala
Nomads: Himelians start with a d6 in Stealth and Survival.
Cat Eyes (Wazuli): The wazuli have low-light vision.
Light Sensitivity (Wazuli): The wazuli are close to nocturnal and suffer a -2 to Trait tests in daylight.
Automatic Language: Afghuli
Bonus Languages: Hyrkanian, Iranistani, Vendhyan

Hyborian (Argossean/Barachan, Bossonian, Gunderman, Hyperborean, Tauran)
Aquilonia, Brythunia, Corinthia, Khauran, Koth, Nemedia, Ophir
Elan: Hyborians seem to be able to make the most of their luck.
Seaworthy (Argossean/Barachan): Argosseans/Barachans start with a d6 in Boating.
Avaricious (Argossean/Barachan): Argosseans/Barachans have the Greedy (Minor) Hinderance.
Bowmen (Bossonian): Bossonians have the Trademark Weapon (Bow) instead of Elan.
Pikeman (Gunderman): Gundermen have the Trademark Weapon (Pike) instead of Elan.
Tough (Hyperborean): Hyperboreans start with a d6 in Vigor instead of Elan.
Agressive (Hyperborean): Hyperboreans start witha d6 in Intimidate.
Slow, Plodding Nature (Hyperborean): Hyperboreans suffer a -2 penalty to Charisma.
Rural (Tauran): Taurans start with a d6 in Survival.
Country Folk (Tauran): Taurans have the Outsider Hinderance with anyone but other Taurans.
Automatic Language: The language of whichever Hyborian kingdom the character is from.
Bonus Languages: Aquilonian, Argossean, Bossonian, Brythunian, Corinthian, Hyperborean, Kothic, Nemedian, Ophirean, Shenitish, Stygian

Hyrkanian or Turanian
Hyrkania, Turan
Shooting from Horseback: Hyrkanians have the Steady Hands Edge.
Horsemen: Hyrkanians start with a d6 in Riding.
Mean: Hyrkanians tend to be brutal to non-Hyrkanians and therefore suffer a -2 penalty to Charisma.
Automatic Language: Hyrkanian
Bonus Languages: Brythunian, Corintian, Hyperborean, Iranistani, Khitan, Kothic, Shemitish, Stygian, Vendhyan, Yuetshi, Zamorian

Khitan
Khitai
Knowledgeable: Khitans can make all Knowledge checks as if they are trained.
Cat-Footed: Khitans start with a d6 in Stealth.
Automatic Language: Khitan
Bonus Languages: Afghuli, Archeronian, Demonic, Hyurkanian, Old Stygian, Shemitish, Stygian, Vendhyan

Kushite or Northern Black Kingdom Tribesman (Chaga, Ghanata)
Black Kingdoms, Kush, Punt
Hunters: Tribesmen start with a d6 in Stealth and Survival.
Adapted to Heat: Tribesmen have a +4 bonus to resist negative heat environmental conditions.
Illiterate: Tribesmen do not start with the ability to read or write.
Ruling Caste (Chaga): Chaga also start with a d6 in Intimidate.
Arrogant (Chaga): Chaga see themselves above the lower castes and start with the Arrogant Hinderance instead of Illiterate.
Nomads (Ghanata): Ghanata start with a d6 in Riding instead of Stealth.
Automatic Language: Kushite or Keshani, Puntan or Zembabwean as appropriate to background.
Bonus Languages: Black Coast, Darfari, Iranistani, Keshani, Old Stygian, Puntan, Shemitish, Stygian, Zembabwean

Nordheimer
Asgard, Vanaheim
Cold Adapted: Nordheimer have a +4 bonus to resist negative cold environmental conditions.
Cold Living: Nordheimer start with a d6 in Survival.
Automatic Language: Nordheimer
Bonus Languages: Aquilonian, Cimmerian, Hyperborean, Pictish

Pict
Pictland
Agile: Picts start with an Agility of d6.
Hunters: Picts start with a d6 in Stealth and Survival.
Barbaric: Ill-tempered and disagreeable and suffer a -2 to Charisma.
Illiterate: Picts have no concept of reading or writing.
Automatic Languages: Pictish, Talking Drum
Bonus Languages: Aquilonian, Cimmerian, Norheimer, Zingaran

Shemite (Pelishtim, Meadow Shemite)
Shem
Bowmen: Shemites start with the Trademark Weapon (Bow) Edge.
Keen Sight: Shemites have keen vision and gain a +2 bonus to Notice checks where vision is the dominant factor.
Fatalistic: Shemites suffer a -1 penalty to Bleeding Out checks.
Easy Talkers (Meadow Shemite): Meadow Shemites start with a d6 in Persuasion instead of the Keen Sight ability.
Sorcery (Pelishtim): Pelishtims may start with the Arcane Background (Sorcery) instead of Trademark Weapon (Bow).
Automatic Language: Shemitish
Bonus Languages: Argossean, Hyrkanian, Kothic, Ophirean, Stygian

Southern Islander or Southern Black Kingdom Tribesman (Darfari)
Black Kingdoms, Darfar, Southern Isles
Strong: Southern Black Kingdom Tribesmen start with a d6 in Strength.
Melee Warriors: Southern Black Kingdom Tribesmen gain a +1 to Parry.
Illiterate: Southern Black Kingdom Tribesmen are not much for reading and writing.
Superstious: Southern Black Kingdom Tribesmen suffer a -2 penalty to Fear checks imposed by supernatural creatures.
Scrappers (Darfari): Darfari start with the Bruiser Edge instead of the +1 to Parry.
Automatic Languages: Bakalah, Bamulah, Darfari, Southern Islander, Suba, or Wadai
Bonus Languages: Argossean, Bakalah, Bamulah, Black Coast, Kushite, Puntan, Southern Islander, Shemitish, Stygian, Suba, Tibu, Tombalku, Wadai, Zingaran

Stygian
Stygia
Ruling Caste: True Stygians start with the Noble Edge.
Warriors or Sorcerers: Stygians start with either Trademark Weapon (Bow) or Arcane Background (Sorcery).
Arrogant: Stygians are haughty an have the Arrogant Hinderance.
Automatic Language: Stygian
Bonus Languages: Archeronian, Darfari, Demonic, Hyrkanian, Keshani, Khitan, Kushite, Old Stygian, Puntan, Shemitish, Zembabwean

Vendhyan
Vendhya
Aristocratic: Vendhyans tend to be well spoken and have the Charismatic Edge.
Disciplined: Vendhyans start with a d6 in Spirit.
Honorable: Vendhyans have a Code of Honor.
Automatic Language: Vendhyan
Bonus Languages: Afghuli, Hyrkanian, Iranistani, Khitan, Kosalan

Zamorian
Zamora
Agile: Zamorians start with a d6 in Agility.
Street Savvy: Zamorians start with a d6 in Streetwise.
Do the Job: Zamorians always try to complete the job they are hired for.This is the Vow (Minor) Hinderance.
Automatic Languages: Zamorian
Bonus Languages: Brythunian, Corinthian, Hyrkanian, Kothic, Shemite

Zingaran
Zingara
Spirited: Zingarans start with d6 in Spirit.
Seaworthy: Zingarans start with a d6 in Boating
Sharp-tongued: Zingarans start with a d6 in Taunt.
Glass-jaw: Zingarans have a -1 Toughness.
Automatic Languages: Zingaran
Bonus Languages: Aquilonian, Argossean, Ophirean, Pictish, Shemitish

Thoughts? How's this look? Just picked up the first three volumes of the collected works of The Savage Sword of Conan and it has me in the mood for some Hyborian fun. I used to collect these mags back in the 70s/early 80s. I plan on using the Arcane Backgrounds in Solomon Kane too.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find it, the GURPS:Conan book is an excellent resource. The PDF is 9.99 from the Warehouse23 store.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't personally see the need to have differences between nationalities for character creation purposes. I like to keep it simple and allow the player to choose what he wants. The differences between nationalities can be used to help create the character background and add colour to his personality but, beyond that, why make things too complicated? Not all Khitans are stealthy any more than all Zingarans know how to sail. I just feel that too much emphasis is put on Howard's national stereotypes when creating PCs to play in a Hyborian setting.
mouthymerc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
If you can find it, the GURPS:Conan book is an excellent resource. The PDF is 9.99 from the Warehouse23 store.

I have the majority of stuff put out by Mongoose. Might track down the GURPS book, but it isn't a priority. Thanks for the info on getting it though.
mouthymerc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
I don't personally see the need to have differences between nationalities for character creation purposes. I like to keep it simple and allow the player to choose what he wants. The differences between nationalities can be used to help create the character background and add colour to his personality but, beyond that, why make things too complicated? Not all Khitans are stealthy any more than all Zingarans know how to sail. I just feel that too much emphasis is put on Howard's national stereotypes when creating PCs to play in a Hyborian setting.

I've thought the same thing about many races myself. But not everyone is as familiar with the Hyborian Age as I may be so giving them these starter packages helps them capture a feel for the game world, just as many other "races" do for other game worlds. If I were to run it for long enough and people were to get more familiar, there could be interesting exceptions or differences. Or even if someone had a good idea right off the bat.
Jounichi
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to do this, I'd run it along the lines of National Identity from WWII; for the mere cost of a background edge you gain a nice benefit befitting your cultural heritage.

This way you acknowledge everyone as being human and still get in some nice flavor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: