Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Battletech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peregry
Seasoned

Location: Manassas, VA, USA, North America, Terra, Inner Sphere, Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that list you will need:

* Movement Costs table
* Facing After Fall table (Not needed, just roll 1d6 with 1 being towards the front arc)
* Piloting Skill Roll table (Not needed)
* Cluster Hits table
* 'Mech Kick Location table
* Mech Hit Location table
* Attach Modifiers table (Something are modified by SBt rules though.)
* Heat Point table (On your Mech record sheet, so no big deal.)
* Physicl Attack Modifiers table
* Determining Critical Hits table
* 'Mech Punch Location table

So... pretty much all of them. It's more intimidating than it looks to be honest, once things get rolling it smooths out drastically.

My suggestion, if you're new to the system and setting, do a game in the 3025 era before the Fourth Succession War. I think this is what the Intro rules cover anyway. Groups like the Clans have not shown up yet, not have many of the more advanced and complicated technologies.

Once you're familiar with everything there, you can start introducing new tech. Keep in mind Battletech campaigns have a lot of built in off screen downtime, as transit from one system to another can take up to two weeks, so travelling halfway across the Inner Sphere can literally burn in game months. Keep this in mind when building characters, as, unlike many games, your characters will age up drastically.

In the Savage Battletech game that our group started with (it has been placed on mostly hiatus due to the GM being to busy with work to run), we started in 3045 or thereabout and it is now 3051. The time passed legitimately with only one major time skip (3050 to 3051 due to a RL downtime of two years and wanting to come back at an action point rather than a down time).
peregry
Seasoned

Location: Manassas, VA, USA, North America, Terra, Inner Sphere, Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Savage Battletech Rules Revision:

Savage Battletech Rules - Revision 8

Various grammar, punctuation and clarity edits.

Piloting and Combat
Mechs not longer make a piloting skill roll when taking over 20 damage to prevent falling over. Instead, any damage over a threshold automatically knocks them down. (pg 4) Threshold for bipedal mechs is 40 Damage, the threshold for Quad mechs is 60, dropping to 40 when they lose a limb.

Mechs now can stand without a piloting skill check at the cost of 3 MP, though they can still stand for 1 MP as per normal or for free if a Quad (pg 4)

Standardized "Death" rules for Mech scale combat. (pg 5)

Battle Armor Rules added (pg 7)

LAM rules refined (pg 8)

Ultra and Rotary Autocannons rules revised, no longer take multi action penalties for double firing. (pg 8)

Hacking renamed to Electronic Warfare (pg 9)

New Special Maneuver, Focus Attack, added (pg 10)

Character creation
New Race, Clan Elemental Warrior, added (pg 12)

Edges
Heavy Metal Edge revised due to modification of Rules (pg 14)

Mech Marksman Revised: no longer affects Pulse Lasers or weapons firing at a RoF over 1. (pg 15)

Smooth Operator revised, now allows standing for 1 MP in addition to the +2 bonus on piloting check to remain standing. (pg 15)

Heroic Icon removed, the Edge was subpar compared to the new Command edges. It may be recreated later. (pg 16)

Legendary Warrior prerequisites revised, no longer required Heroic Icon, now requires GM permission. (pg 16)

Equipment
General
Savage Worlds Laser weapons are no longer the standard (pg 18)

Powered Trait Revised, powered weapons are no longer "always on" unless noted in their entry. Powered weapons drain an amount of charge equal to the number listed after the Powered trait from a power pack each time they are fired or each round they are on. (pg 19)

Unconcealable trait removed (pg 19)

Power Armor
Infiltrator Mk 2 Armor increased Armor from +6 to +7, noted that it carries a mini ECM suite. (pg 20/22)

Weapons and Equipment
New Weapons Added: Laser Pistol, Pulse Laser Pistol, Laser Rifle and Pulse Laser rifle (pg 25/27)

Power Packs added that work with the Powered trait (pg 25)
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey peregry, I've bought the Into Box Set now and its bringing up some questions about Savage BattleTech for me.

Before I ask my questions, I'll just comment that I think the Introdctory rules are comprehensive enough to provide a base for Savage Battltech. Of the 80 pages of the Introductory Rulebook, the core rules comprise 45 of them and cover topics like components, sequence of play, movement, combat and heat. The section on combat in particular is very comprehensive with explanations for LoS, firing arcs, procedures for firing weapons, critical damage, phyical attacks (punching, clubbing, kicking, charging), death from above attacks and unit displacement. I have a number of tactical wargames and I rate this amongst top of them for complexity. Alls good though - I find these rules more succinct and concise than most of my wargames. Needless to say I'm very impressed with the rest of the intro box set - you definitely get what you pay for, and much, much more. Wink

As to questions;

I'm wondering if you and your team have had much though on what the "Out of Cockpit" scale would look like in terms of scale ratio or inches/hex? The reason I ask is that in my initial exploration of the system, the Battletech Mech/Mapsheet Scale doesn't align very well with the standard Savage Worlds 1"=2 yds (1:72) scale; something I usually refer to as the SW Battlemap scale. I have some ideas on how to properly align it, but I wanted to 1st find out if you and your team have come up with anything before I start blabbing away. Wink

What about the type of missions for adventures? I've noted the 15 different mission types in the free 'Inner Sphere at a Glance' supplement (damn good book BTW) and the 4 umbrella categories (Defence, Raid, Covert, Assualt) they fall under, but it seems they're more for action on the Mech Scale. If I run a campaign I'd like to have some missions that occur "out of cockpit" scale, but I'm not sure what those would typically look like in the Battletech universe? Is there a particular book/supplement that would give some examples? I know there's the novels, but damn that's a lot of reading and besides they're no longer available in my area.
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely sure where the problem is. We separate the two styles of combat pretty much entirely due to the scale differences.

Battletech uses 30 meter hexes with 10 second rounds.
Savage World uses 2 yard "squares" with 6 second rounds.

If you're an individual in Battletech scale, you move as infantry in Battletech scale, and you're pretty much hosed.

As to Mechs in Savage Worlds scale, they're not encounters a party can expect to win. If you toss people up against a Mech it's going to be a gimmick fight. If you look at the SW scale weapons table, you'll note that a Small Laser, one of the lightest weapons a mech can carry, deal 4d8 damage. Anything above 5 Battletech scale damage is pretty much "you die" territory.

In general, simply due to scale differences, you wouldn't want to use Battletech mapsheets to represent anything for normal SW gameplay, unless you have a good city grid one, since that could make a decent city map.

Anyway, I'l entertain any ideas you may have and pass them along to the team.

As to your second question. If you can find some of the old Mechwarrior RPG supplements the fluff in them has a much better to ground view of the Battletech universe. Also, the official Battletech fiction website, Battlecorps has many short stories and even novels published, some free some not. Finally, they've been republishing many of the old novels as ebooks.

As to building a game, those missions are an excellent starting point to build a single game with. Let's take the Defense mission as an example. The Mech portion is clear: hold this point, don't let enemies take it. For a tactical miniature game, that's sufficient, but for an RPG, you have to go a step further and ask: why?

That answer is where the out of mech things come in. Is this a town on the edge of the Periphery often beset by pirates? Or perhaps a world on the border of two of the Great Houses that is often raided, has been hotly contested for generations, and has switched sides multiple times? Is the society on world unified, divided, or something in between? Are the local nobles happy that the party is there, displeased, hostile, cooperative? Is ComStar giving everyone a full picture of what's going on? Well, the answer to that last one is always no.

A lot of it comes down to what type of game you're playing. A game where the players are a small company of mercenaries is often a great introduction, as it offers the players a lot of freedom in creating their characters. On the flip side, forcing the players to be a part of a preexsisting unit gives the GM more control, but also makes more work for you, as you will eventually reach a point where the players ask why they are alone on the battlefield and where's the rest of their unit.

Another thing to keep in mind is that travel between worlds is slow. It can take weeks to travel between systems, and once in system, it takes days to travel from your interstellar craft to the the planet. In other words, in character, PCs have a lot of downtime when you're travelling, up to months. While sometimes you want to handwave that, having things occur on that trip can make things more memorable, and give chances to RP and have out of mech encounters... though ships in Battletech are tight and confined in general...

Basically, think of the mech fight as the climax of a storyline, and then build things towards that climax. You have to have a reason for that fight, and that's where the RP aspect comes from, even if its as simple as the PCs are getting paid to blow something up.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, before I blab on about map scales I probably should confirm the default one for this game. The mounted mapsheets that came in my Intro Box Set have hexes that are 33 mm wide and each represents 30 Meters, which translates into a 1:909 scale. Is that the default for all BattleTech maps?

Thanks for the feedback on adventure types - that was very helpful. I did give 'Inner Sphere at a Glance' a thorough read, so I'm following you on potential house, periphery or Comstar angles to adventures. Battlecorp.com was listed in my intro rulebook, so I did check the site out and dowloaded a few PDFs. I've read that the Sword & Dragon starterbook is a good source for beginning a campaign. From what little I've read about it, it's set around the conflict between the 2 houses of Davion and Kurita. Are you familiar with that book and if so, is there any content in it that could be useful for Out of Cockpit adventures?

As to novels, ebook format doesn't work for me because I don't have a reader. I'm very much a printed book person; since I have to stare at a LCD screen all day long I prefer the contrast of black ink on paper. Confused I did find a few of the novels at the public library, but unfortunately they're from the later MW Dark Age series.
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all Battletech map sheets are in that scale. They even sell map packs with all sorts of maps in them that ain't to expensive.

While I am not familiar with that specific book, I am very familiar with the conflict between Houses Davion and Kurita. Just tell me the year you're considering and I can generally give you an overview of things. Either side can be good for PCs. If you have a bunch of Japanaphiles, the Combine is basically feudal Japan in space. On the other hand, the Suns is much closer to Western society technically has more open laws.

I can understand the preference for real books. I'm a bit like that too. I'm fortunate in this case in that I actually have a decent percentage of the books, including some rare ones.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peregry wrote:
They even sell map packs with all sorts of maps in them that ain't to expensive.

Yep I've noticed those, and also noticed you get a lot of bang for the $ you pay. I'll definitely be picking up the Lake & Rivers and City hex packs. I can even see using them with some other PnP settings to extend their value. Very Happy

Quote:
Yes, all Battletech map sheets are in that scale.

So...my thoughts on the Out of Cockpit (OoC) map scale. First off, I'll just say the BT Mapsheets is an unusual map size and it seems to have been designed exclusively with metric in mind - kind of surprising since IIRC FASA was originally a Chicago-based company in the 80's. I guess FASA was thinking of a future setting in which the imperial system had finally seen its demise. Wink I was taught in both the Imperial and metric, so not a problem for me personally.

Anyhoo... something that's improtant for me as a GM is to be able to visually depict a character scale map like OoC within any other smaller scale maps I use. That's ackward using the standard 1:72 (1"=6 ft) SW scale as 72 just doesn't evenly divide into the 1:900 Mech / BT mapsheet scale - note for convenience I'm rounding down from 1:909 to 1:900 as doing so only omitts 30 cm's (1 ft), which is sfa for a hex that's 30 M (roughly 100 ft) across. The 1:72 is also damn ackward to allign if you plan to use any of the common 1" hexgrid maps from 3rd party manufacturers like Chessex.

What I've noticed is that a 1:60 (1"=5 ft) scale, such as the Character scale used by D20 Modern, is much more symetrical with the default BT Mech scale. The 1:60 scale also has the added advantage that you could actually use the more generic BT mapsheets for OoC scale - just treat each 33 mm hex as 2 meters instead of 30. If on the other hand someone wanted to use a 1" hex grid like those mentioned above, each hex ends up equaling 1.5 meters across which is 5 ft; its actually 1" less than that, but again so mininscule its not worth worrying about the difference.

As to SW gameplay and mapping, using 1:60 in place of 1:72 has very little repercussion. I'll give some examples. In terms of PC pace its the difference between a character being able to move 30 ft as opposed to 36 ft per 6 sec round - can be realigned to within 1 ft by simply just changing the default pace to 7". For a mapping example, it's the difference between using 12 hexes to map out that 60' wide medieval tavern as opposed to using 10 hexes. The 1:60 also has the added advantage that its actually the scale that 28 and 30mm character figures are designed for; vast majority of what's available on the market. In fact the only time it really makes a difference is with weapon ranges and vehicle speeds, but adjusting for it is as simple as adding 1" for every 6". Bottom line, it just doesn't make much difference at such a large map scale.

And where is this all leading to...using a 1:60 scale allows a hex from either of the above mentioned hexgrids to be evenly represented in the Mech scale map. If using the 33mm battleTech mapsheets for 1:60 exactly 15, 2 M hexes will fit into a single 30 M hex on the 1:900 mapsheet, whereas with a 1" hexgrid, 20 hexes will fit into a single . Where this really pays off is if you ever want to relate some distance or range for the the Mech scale to the OoC scale. Yup, I'm well aware as you eplained in your other post, it would be rare case where you did, but if you did it would be as simple as multiplying by 15 or 20. I know in my Weird War campaigns I've done exactly that a few times when accounting for inbound aircraft. As well, if you using a drawing or paint program to create custom maps, you can easily recycle some of your work between the 2 map scales by just shrinking or resizing them by a factor of 15 or 20.

Anyhow, my apologies for the lenghty discussion and all the math, but I think Savage Battletech is a setting where you can make a case for using 1:60 scale in place of 1:72. I know I'll certainly be using 1:60 for my OoC scale in my campaign.

Last edited by kronovan on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peregry wrote:
If you have a bunch of Japanaphiles, the Combine is basically feudal Japan in space. On the other hand, the Suns is much closer to Western society technically has more open laws.

Well that could work very well indeed, considering that 3 of the people who will be playing are currently playing in my Iron Dynasty campaign. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable of medieval histrory, and I can see where the FASA BT team drew some of their inspiration from; i.e. House Liao seems to have a bit of a Liao Dynasty / Mongol Great Khanate vibe to it, while House Steiner seems to have a Germanic / Haneatic league flavor and the Rasalhague seems to be inspired by ideas of the kingdom of Norway / northern hanseatic league. Wink
Quote:
While I am not familiar with that specific book, I am very familiar with the conflict between Houses Davion and Kurita. Just tell me the year you're considering and I can generally give you an overview of things. Either side can be good for PCs.

I'm thinking the 3030's, but I can't remember if that's the time of the 4th Succession war, arrival of the clan or some time post both of those. I think the 30's is the decade the Intro Box set content is supposed to be set in, so that seems like a good starting point.
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wi.e. House Liao seems to have a bit of a Liao Dynasty / Mongol Great Khanate vibe to it,

Never seen the Khanate side to Liao. We generally think of them as a mix of the Chinese dynasties and North Korea/per 90s China. The Mongels get their whole own faction: the Clans. They even have Khans.

Quote:
while House Steiner seems to have a Germanic / Haneatic league flavor

Definitely. Bit more unified than those were all told, plus a bit of the Third Reich in there with the the group known as Loki.

Quote:
and the Rasalhague seems to be inspired by ideas of the Norwegian kingdom / northern hanseatic league.

Also feudal Japanese influence to them, due to being part of the Combine for most of Battletech history. Heck, one of the major languages of the FRR is "Swedenese", the bastard child of Swedish and Japanese.

Quote:
I'm thinking the 3030's, but I can't remember if that's the time of the 4th Succession war, arrival of the clan or some time post both of those. I think the 30's is the decade the Intro Box set content is supposed to be set in, so that seems like a good starting point.

The Fourth Succession War starts in 3028 and ends in 3030. The next big conflict between the Federated Commonwealth and Draconis Combine is the War of 3039 (which ended up as a stalemate). Both these conflicts were massive on a scale not seen in the Inner Sphere since the 2nd Succession War, and may not make the best campaign for a small group unless the party is actually not part of the mainline fighting and instead is garrisoning some backwater world.

The Clans arrive in 3049, by the way. I would not suggest starting your campaign with the Clans, as the tech jump that occurs at that point is pretty stiff, and the Clans severely out tech the IS, so the players are at a major disadvantage, better to build up the PCs a bit before throwing them into that meatgrinder.

My suggestion: start the game at tech level 1, and slowly introduce tech level 2 gear. Keep in mind that the PCs will have to have two gear kits, one is the OoC gear, which is no different than Savage Worlds normally, but then there is their Mech and all its equipment. I suggest giving the PCs bog standard designs, and then allowing them to customize their Mech to their taste, slowly trickling in tech level 2 stuff. It makes things simpler to learn (as none of the tech level 1 weapons have any special rules or modifiers), and gives a sense of gear progression to the game.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this! Futuristic military is really up there as one of my favorite genre & I like Battletech too.

Already thinking of some of the elements of a plot point campaign.

I think I would start a campaign off AFTER the defeat of the Clans.

Awesome stuff!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which defeat of the Clans are you talking about?

If you're talking about the Battle of Tukkyid, the truce period afterwards is a good time to run a less mech-focused game and delve into a more espionage and adventure style game, especially if you set the game in what becomes the Chaos March.

If you mean after the Great Refusal... I would suggest staying away from it unless you have a group that knows Battletech really well as the high tech puts many options on the table. The FedCom Civil War is a decent ground for campaigns, though it faces the same problems as I mentioned above with the 4th War and War of 3039: that of large armies, making individual characters less important.

As to anything beyond the FedCom Civil War... well... be careful with the Jihaad era, as the Word of Blake took a take no prisoners approach to things. The PC do to well, they get nuked from orbit. No, I'm not even kidding, major "good guy" forces in the Jihaad were simply nuked from orbit, gassed in their sleep with neurotoxins, or had their entire planet rendered uninhabitable by chemical attacks.

Beyond that, the Dark Age is much like playing in the 3025 era, except all the factions are pale reflections of larger ones, the Mechs are worse, and while its good grounds for individual PCs to shine, I do not think it carries enough options to be truly interesting. This has to do with the much more narrow scope of the information we have on that era.

One final thing to keep in mind about Battletech: while the technology is futuristic, the society is decidedly feudal. MechWarriors are Knights, the Mech is their sword and steed. They may be Knights beholden to a Lord, or swords for hire, but they are still Warriors, no soldiers.

Hell, the entire history of Battletech is simply that of Europe post the fall of Rome. You have your various feudal states springing up, the remnants of Rome doing their own thing, and eventual invasions by the Mongols. Hell, many of the Successor States (a term that originally came from the post-Rome period) map directly to feudal kingdoms of the Middle Ages. As mentioned, The Lyrans are Germany, the Free Worlds League is the Low Countries, the FedSuns is France/England. ComStar is the Roman Catholic Church, except even more corrupt and without any moral compass whatsoever. Sure, some of the other politics is more modern, what with space communist China and Taiwan (CapCom and the St. Ives Compact), but at the end of the day, Battletech is straight on Feudal Future*.

---------------------
*Warning: TVTropes will ruin your life.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure I'd follow the Battletech history all that accurately. Surely I would steal A LOT of ideas from it, but, for the most part, I would run the game simply as a future military game with mechs.

I'd like to have the advanced tech (non-Clan) slowly phasing out the old.

I can see starting some new characters on a far outpost that never sees any action. Run a few sessions forcing that "we're-in-the-middle-of-nowhere" mindset in to the newbs. Then, while they're out on another boring "Groundhog Day" useless patrol, have the main bass destroyed by an attack by an unknown foe. Aliens maybe? The characters would be spared because of the remote location of their patrol area.

Then take it from there.
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that one of Battletech's big points is that there is no aliens. Adding aliens into a game is a way to get anyone who loves Battletech to rage. There's plenty of human threats to deal with. Not sticking to the history is fine, in our group's game we've been slowly but surely diverging from the canon timeline, mostly due to player action, but eventually we have planned a major tipping point where everything changes. The other difficulty using non-human enemies becomes their equivalent of mechs. With human opponents you can simply put them in appropriate designs... aliens, not so much. Then you also have to answer the question of tech compatibility, salvaging is a big part of the way things are done, and aliens make that much harder. Wink

The interesting thing about the higher tech in Battletech is that it supplements, rather than replaces the lower tech. Only Clan tech has things that truly replaces lower tech weapons, but Clan tech is also completely overpowered.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peregry wrote:
Never seen the Khanate side to Liao. We generally think of them as a mix of the Chinese dynasties and North Korea/per 90s China.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the Khitans who were the Turko-Mongol peoples that founded the Liao Dynasty. They were close cousins of the Merkits, Tatars, Kereyits and other Mongolian peoples that went on to form the Great Khanate under Ghengis Khan. I'd forgotten about this blurb in The Inner Sphere at a Glance though:
"The Chinese cultural bent of the ruling Liao dynasty added its own thread to the Cappelan tapestry"
The Liao dynasty of 11th century Terra/Earth wasn't actually Chinese, but a ruling Khitan class that ruled over many ethnically Chinese subjects and adopted the culture, customs and governance of the Northern Song Chinese. They only lasted all of 1-1/4 centuries, so maybe the FASA folks chose it as the house name because of that. Anyhow...don't want to degress too much, it was FASA's fantasy setting and they had every right to recycle history and names whatever way they wanted. Wink
Quote:
The Mongels get their whole own faction: the Clans. They even have Khans.

Yup, I'd forgotten they gave the Clans a Khanate angle to them. It would have been a hoot if they gave them a Celtic clan angle, but possibly too weird too - kilt clad Mech Warriors piloting caber wielding mechs FTW. Smile

Quote:
The Fourth Succession War starts in 3028 and ends in 3030. The next big conflict between the Federated Commonwealth and Draconis Combine is the War of 3039 (which ended up as a stalemate). Both these conflicts were massive on a scale not seen in the Inner Sphere since the 2nd Succession War, and may not make the best campaign for a small group unless the party is actually not part of the mainline fighting and instead is garrisoning some backwater world.

The Clans arrive in 3049, by the way. I would not suggest starting your campaign with the Clans, as the tech jump that occurs at that point is pretty stiff, and the Clans severely out tech the IS, so the players are at a major disadvantage, better to build up the PCs a bit before throwing them into that meatgrinder.

Many thanks for the history.
Quote:
My suggestion: start the game at tech level 1, and slowly introduce tech level 2 gear.

Since I'm new to the setting and want to follow the timelines of the BT canon, which dates would this involve?

Last edited by kronovan on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Only Clan tech has things that truly replaces lower tech weapons
Didn't the Grey Death Legion find a database that had better Mechtech?
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actually is a faction of kilt wearing mechwarriors: the Northwind Highlanders. One of the many nerf companies.

The tech that the Helm Memory Core (the thing that the GDL found) introduced tech level 2 to the Inner Sphere, basically. The thing with tech level 2 is that while it is better, it doesn't replace tech level 1 equipment. Its a lot of give and take. Pulse Lasers deal more damage and are more accurate than standard lasers, but they're heavier, generate more heat and have a drastically shorter range. XL Engines are much lighter than standard ones, but they make a mech much more vulnerable to damage. It's like this for almost all higher tech stuff in Battletech.

Tech level 1 is dominate from the mid 2500s up to about 3039, which is when tech level 2 starts being wildly available due to the aforementioned Helm Core and ComStar shenanigans. If the game is set in the Periphery it pretty much stays tech 1 until the 3060s, and tech 2 stays rare there even after

Again, keep in mind that any Battletech game is going to have more downtime. We started our original game in 3045 and its now 3052. We went from 3045 to 3049 is probably 4 or 5 sessions, though since 3049 things have slowed down due to a small invasion by the Clans.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a free PDF of the history somewhere?

And what are the best Technical readouts to get? There was one where the Mechs where made by fans. But I cannot remember which one that was. Sad
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

PDF... of... the... history? Not that I'm aware of... it would end up being a massive size and have to contain dozens of pages that would all be cross referencing each other with details and...

Hey look, a Wiki! Wink There's quite a bit there. It won't give you the level of detailed knowledge of the setting I have, but, then, I own approximately 75% of the Battletech novels (including some rare ones), a bunch of the Mechwarrior and Battletech supplements and have been reading and rereading them since I was a teen in the 90s...

As to TROs, TRO aren't all that useful for building a game, as they contain very little game information, TROs are actually more like the Jane's Guides. Well, they're very useful from a fluff standpoint, but they don't usually have record sheets or anything like that. Further most of the fluff can be found in the aforementioned wiki. If you want more game numbers, and something that can help you design mechs and also print full mech (and now vehicle) record sheets look no further than Solaris Skunk Werks. Wink

Hope those links help.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this Battletech talk is making me miss my days of piloting my Hatchetman.

Love that mech.

How do the Solaris Skunk Werks printed mech sheets look?
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are identical to the canon record sheet. Some variant for the quality of the printer and paper you use, of course, but it's the same set up you know and love.

Also, if you love the Hatchman, you will be pleased to know we gave melee mechs all sorts of love, with special melee edges that duplicate many of the Savage Worlds edges for Mechs.

The downside is that using melee in a Mech also requires its own skill (Mech Melee). The flip side of this is that that Mech's defense against melee attacks isn't based on the normal defense, but rather its a Parry score based on said same skill. This means that due to conservation of skills, most warriors won't be investing heavily in it, making them very vulnerable to a good melee mechwarrior who has a good lance backing them up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: