Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[FSG] Streets of Bedlam - New ultraviolent neo-noir setting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jasonlblair
Novice


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new State of the Streets welcomes CUSTOM DICE to the Streets of Bedlam family.
_________________
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Streets of Bedlam - A Savage World of Crime + Corruption
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coyote6
Seasoned


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm going to want some of those wild dice. Mr. Green
_________________
--
Bob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
burningcrow
Seasoned


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 181
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news? Last update by Jason said it will be out Wednesday, June 6th.

Haven't seen any release so I wanted to check what's going on ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kristian Serrano
Heroic


Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Decatur, GA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningcrow wrote:
Any news? Last update by Jason said it will be out Wednesday, June 6th.

Haven't seen any release so I wanted to check what's going on ...

http://www.streetsofbedlam.com/?p=624
_________________
Savage Bloggers Network
Savage Worlds Google+ Community
Fantasy Companion Loot Generator
Raise Calculator
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
burningcrow
Seasoned


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 181
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaril wrote:
http://www.streetsofbedlam.com/?p=624

Somehow this eluded me completely. Thanks for the heads up!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DGMiller
Seasoned


Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Posts: 217
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you backed the Kickstarter for this, you should be getting your download code in oh... about 5 minutes now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jasonlblair
Novice


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit a snag with the DriveThruRPG fulfillment system. About half of the pre-order/Kickstarter orders went out. I have an email in to get the rest resolved first thing in the morning.

BUT STREETS OF BEDLAM IS NOW LIVE!

I am incredibly excited to hear what you all think of the setting, Archetypes, new rules, and characters. I've had a lot of fun working on this setting and am proud of the work Shawn and I have done. I hope you all dig it.

You can grab the PDF right here.
_________________
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Streets of Bedlam - A Savage World of Crime + Corruption
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sagaston
Seasoned


Joined: 24 May 2003
Posts: 291
Location: St. Louis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the codes that didn't go out was mine. I've seen almost all of it, but not the final final PDF.

*dies*

EDIT: Oh wait, I just remembered that I only kicked in $5, since I knew by then that I was drawing the thing, but I wanted an NPC and to comment on KS updates.
_________________
Clockworks - a Savage Worlds powered Steampunk webcomic. Updates hopefully twice a week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
grufflehead
Novice


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I manage to miss Clockworks before? Genius!

And speaking of genius, congrats Jason on getting Streets out to the world. I've only had a quick skim this morning but it looks like everything I hoped for, and done very stylishly too.

Quick question: is it your intention that the skills listed under the various archetypes are suggestions for what they should consider taking, or as they are so thematically appropriate they all start at D4 for free?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jasonlblair
Novice


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words! I really hope folks enjoy the setting.

The required Skills do not start at d4, no. They must be bought with Skill points.
_________________
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Streets of Bedlam - A Savage World of Crime + Corruption
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SavageAce
Novice


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 47
Location: Schenectady, New York

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Jason and Shawn! Great book, I'm really enjoying it.
_________________
Aaron Acevedo
Pinnacle Art Director
Savage Mojo Illustrator

http://peginc.com
http://savagemojo.com
http://aaronace.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
burningcrow
Seasoned


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 181
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks.

After a first glance I have to say: wow, Jason, this is pure genius.

The package as a whole feels well rounded: the language, the content, the art, all communicate the setting. That's as close to perfect as it gets.

At first I wasn't sure about the archetypes, but I have to say that they carry a lot of the flair you've got there. Great concept!

Finally, I think – even though this is a great setting in itself – it perfectly lends itself to be adapted to emulate tangential ideas. Add a little sorcery (some Arcane Backgrounds) and you can play Dresden Files. Add some cyberware and you get the best Blade Runner I've seen ... not to speak of all the stuff you get out of the box.

So, I'm really glad I backed this! Great job, Jason!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Savage_Mask
Novice


Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is good to get something fresh. You come in with this beautiful book, you're thinking out of the box and you keep it savage (fast,fun, furious) on almost every page.

This book reminds me of Agents of Oblivion in the sense that many mechanics could be plucked out of the book for use with other settings or homebrews. The interrogation rules are clever but what happend to intimidation? The investigation rules are pure genius but will require more prep for the GM (can you tell I usually just wing it? hehe). The character roles reminds me of the adventure deck. They give PC's bonuses for specific situation and compels that character to perform actions that will drive the story forward or offer dramatic turn of events. Brilliant.

I also enjoy the story building chapter. I'm a veteran GM but always willing to improve and your words give me guidance. The archetypes define your character, give them special abilities without stacking too many modifiers. The best part about it is that they feel balanced and gives the GM tools to draw the character in the story. . It must be so awesome for all those who contributed financially to this project to see their name on the pages of this book. Plus, how nifty is it going to be to just take one out of the book when the need arises or for the players to use when they need someone to populate their backstory?

The only criticism I have is that some hindrances and edges are redundant. Core hindrances and edges could have been repurposed or modified to deliver the same intent. Also, it took a while for myself and players at my table to become familiar with the damage rules in SW. I feel your iteration of it is unnecessary. Besides, basically adding a level of wounds will make combats last longer. Gritty damage rules would do just fine. That dramatic damage is cool and I think I'll use it as damage trappings when a character is shaken.

There are still parts I havent read yet but I will devour them. Oh and one more thing, artwork is amazing!

Good product, it was well worth the wait.
_________________
savagetomfoolery.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jasonlblair
Novice


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words, Savage_Mask. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

The Ultraviolence rules do extend combat, which is intentional. I certainly wouldn't use them for every fight but, for big conflicts between major characters, the point is to create these larger-than-life battles that result in lots of bloodshed and carnage. Of course, if that still isn't to your taste, they're easily ignored.
_________________
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Streets of Bedlam - A Savage World of Crime + Corruption
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pneumonica
Seasoned


Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Posts: 140
Location: Nowhere

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to concur that the system is absolutely awesome, and the setting is great. I didn't think I'd be too into the Archetypes, but they are more than just "races for all humans" and they're also more than just "narrativist tropes" - they're package backgrounds and plot directions, driven less by narrative force and more by the natural function of the character.

I'm not much for narrativist gaming, if you couldn't already tell. I thought I'd point that out.

The Story Roles I wasn't as taken with, but they're interesting enough that I might play with them. What I really like is the modularity of all the subsystems. The Archetypes, the Story Roles, even the Plot Point structure can be set aside without serious issue. It also contains a few notes about playing with the setting. The game is excellent both as prepackaged goodness and as a Noir toolkit.

Speaking of which, while the game is "ultraviolent," I should point out that if you prefer Mike Hammer to Sin City (or if you run games where violence is the punishment for mistakes), it's easy to shift. And if you don't want the fights to take longer thanks to the ultraviolence damage, just make sure the PCs encounter Extras. They drop normally.

I like this game. Also, my NPC is the BEST AND MOST IMPORTANT NPC IN THE GAME! (I'm kidding. Sort of. Maybe.) Razz
_________________
Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought- a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!
-Mark Twain
The Ataraxia Foundry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
jasonlblair
Novice


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everybody know that I've updated the pdfs on DriveThruRPG. The new file now has an index (finally!), some typo corrections, I put in some overlooked NPCs, and I also added a "Working Together" section to Chapter Three that gives advice and ideas on getting different Archetypes to work together.

I hope you all dig the changes!
_________________
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Streets of Bedlam - A Savage World of Crime + Corruption
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cable Hogue
Seasoned


Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Posts: 484
Location: Ulm, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impressions after reading the SoB setting book two times over and preparing my first SoB gaming sessions. (Crossposted on RPG.net - so you might have seen it there already.)

Streets of Bedlam is a really well designed Savage Setting book. But there are a few things that could be improved or that puzzle me exceedingly.

In SoB a Plot Point Campaign is mentioned. But there isn't one included. There is only ONE scenario, partitioned into a kind of network of scenes. But a Plot Point Campaign (PPC) is something completely different! - Actually, a PPC consists of about a dozen individual scenarios, connected by a common storyline, but intended to be "activated" upon reaching different "triggers" such as reaching a certain location for the first time, reaching a certain character rank, reaching a certain story-dependent goal.

It is a quite common - amongst SW-licensees - misconception, that a closely knit (even lengthy) scenario would qualify as a PPC, if it is "served" in small portions. - That is not the case. A PPC is a whole campaign that centers about a quite important basic conflict in the game world, in the setting. It consists of a lot of loosely(!) coupled scenarios that are intended for mixing other, independent scenarios inbetween.

A look at such settings as 50 Fathoms, Necessary Evil or even the very extensive PPC hardcovers for Deadlands:Reloaded gives a clear impression on what a PPC is - and what it is not.

So reading about a PPC in SoB made me quite excited. But finding just one scenario and no campaign at all was a bit less than what I've had expected.

In using the Archetypes there should have been more explicitly explained, that the Hindrances and Edges a PC gets via Archetype do NOT count against his initial 2 minor and 1 major Hindrances, so that any PC could and probably should take those in order to individualize his starting character by getting points for more Edges and Attribute steps.

Savage Worlds stat blocks are quite short compared to a lot other generic RPG systems. But the stat blocks given in the NPC sections of SoB are TOO short! - Why does not one NPC - not even the major ones - has any Edges or Hindrances listed? In SW a character is actually defined by their Edges and Hindrances more than by their Attributes and Skills alone! - And why isn't even the "usual gear" for NPCs given? In order to use a NPC during the game out of the book SW offers fully statted NPCs including their gear to make the GM's job that much easier.


Gear: There isn't any kind of gear listed. And that is not a good thing! - Now I have to "filter" through the gear listings in the SWDE rules book to find any gear, that might fit into the SoB-setting. But that work is supposed to be done by the setting developer for me as a GM. So I'd really like to have lists of gear, even some "gun porn" listings of awesome firearms to drop into the hands of the PCs or their opponents. And I'd like to have quite a list of modern day vehicles that could and would play a role in chase scenes or shoot-outs in SoB. Like police cars, SWAT team cars, armored limousines for Regents, ambulances, schoolbusses, other cars and even small planes, helicopters and so on, that could and would possibly be used in this setting. And I'd like some suggestions for surveillance equipment, some listings for drugs and their game-mechanical effects, and so on.

The SoB setting is in regard of support for the GM too much bare bones, even by the commonly rather sparse SW standards of setting description.


And one thing, that really did "chafe" on me was reading about some entity named "G*d" throughout the book. - SoB explicitly takes catholicism, protestants and other beliefs in major roles into the setting - Big Church for example. But those religions believe in their version of the christian god, often capitalized as God. So WHY is "God" each and every time it is used in the book written in such an obviously WRONG way as "G*d"? - What does the asterisk in the middle instead of an "o" mean? Is there some in-game "secret" about this way of writing God? Please explain it to me, because it really puzzles me quite a lot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jasonlblair
Novice


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replied to this on the RPGnet post but thought I'd answer here as well.

Quote:
Cable Hogue: Streets of Bedlam is a really well designed Savage Setting book. But there are a few things that could be improved or that puzzle me exceedingly.


Thank you for the kind words! Let's see if I can't address some of the issues you have with it.

Quote:
Cable Hogue:In SoB a Plot Point Campaign is mentioned. But there isn't one included. There is only ONE scenario, partitioned into a kind of network of scenes. But a Plot Point Campaign (PPC) is something completely different! - Actually, a PPC consists of about a dozen individual scenarios, connected by a common storyline, but intended to be "activated" upon reaching different "triggers" such as reaching a certain location for the first time, reaching a certain character rank, reaching a certain story-dependent goal.

So reading about a PPC in SoB made me quite excited. But finding just one scenario and no campaign at all was a bit less than what I've had expected.


I struggled quite a bit with drafting a Plot Point Campaign for Streets of Bedlam because of those exact things you mentioned. Your breakdown of a traditional PPC is correct; I took a different route.

Instead of focusing on an over-arching plot, I chose instead to draft a spiderweb of events that branch from a single through-thread--very fitting of the crime drama source material. As the characters explore the central mystery, they run into (or have the chance to run into) a wide variety of crimes, criminals, and locations. They have the chance to right wrongs, make enemies, and get themselves into serious trouble. I wanted a campaign that embedded the player characters into the world instead of just introducing them to the world, which I saw as the true purpose of a PPC.

Is it mislabeled as a PPC? By a strict interpretation of the standard definition, probably. But I think "The Things We Do For Money" goes beyond being a simple scenario.

Quote:
Cable Hogue:In using the Archetypes there should have been more explicitly explained, that the Hindrances and Edges a PC gets via Archetype do NOT count against his initial 2 minor and 1 major Hindrances, so that any PC could and probably should take those in order to individualize his starting character by getting points for more Edges and Attribute steps.


I thought it was clear in the following text:

Quote:
One of the last steps under each Archetype is the purchasing of Edges +
Hindrances for your character. With the exception of Citizen, each Archetype
begins with a handful of Edges + Hindrances already. You normally don’t get
any points for taking them—they’re just part of the package—but:

If you opt for the Major version of a Hindrance (you’ll be told in the
description when this is possible), you do get an extra point. For example,
under the Bulldog Archetype, you’ll see “Every Waking Moment” gives you the
Minor Vengeance Hindrance. If you keep it as the Minor version, you don’t get
any extra points. But if you bump it to Major, you do get an extra point.
Whether you get extra points by doing this or not, you’re free to take either
two Minor Hindrances or one Major Hindrance in order to buy yourself some
Edges, gain Skill points, bump an Attribute, etc per the Savage Worlds rules.


But I'll think on the wording to make it clearer.


Quote:
Cable Hogue:Gear: There isn't any kind of gear listed. And that is not a good thing! - Now I have to "filter" through the gear listings in the SWDE rules book to find any gear, that might fit into the SoB-setting. But that work is supposed to be done by the setting developer for me as a GM. So I'd really like to have lists of gear, even some "gun porn" listings of awesome firearms to drop into the hands of the PCs or their opponents. And I'd like to have quite a list of modern day vehicles that could and would play a role in chase scenes or shoot-outs in SoB. Like police cars, SWAT team cars, armored limousines for Regents, ambulances, schoolbusses, other cars and even small planes, helicopters and so on, that could and would possibly be used in this setting. And I'd like some suggestions for surveillance equipment, some listings for drugs and their game-mechanical effects, and so on.


You've made some good suggestions there. Some of those things (surveillance equipment, armored cars) are out of the scope of the setting book. For the basics, everything you need is in the Savage Worlds Deluxe corebook. All of SWD's Chapter Two is dedicated to gear, and the stat-heavy stuff such as a weapons are listed in their respective categories under a header that says "Modern." I don't think finding appropriate gear will require a lot of filtering. Personally, I didn't see a need to reinvent, and didn't have the right to reprint, the basics and, as I said, anything beyond that was outside the scope of the Streets of Bedlam corebook.

Quote:
Cable Hogue:The SoB setting is in regard of support for the GM too much bare bones, even by the commonly rather sparse SW standards of setting description.


Beyond your issues above? If so, let me know what else you feel the main book should have. I'm open to suggestions.

Quote:
Cable Hogue:And one thing, that really did "chafe" on me was reading about some entity named "G*d" throughout the book. - SoB explicitly takes catholicism, protestants and other beliefs in major roles into the setting - Big Church for example. But those religions believe in their version of the christian god, often capitalized as God. So WHY is "God" each and every time it is used in the book written in such an obviously WRONG way as "G*d"? - What does the asterisk in the middle instead of an "o" mean? Is there some in-game "secret" about this way of writing God? Please explain it to me, because it really puzzles me quite a lot.


Those of the Jewish faith have a tradition where they do not print any of the names of God. This is because, from my understanding, written works can be defaced and destroyed which, doing so in this case, would deface and destroy the name of God. So written reference to God's English name is typically in the format "G-d" where the omission of the vowel implies God's name but it isn't His true name so defacing or destroying it is okay. (I've known folks outside the Jewish faith who did the same or similar though I never inquired as to why.)

In Bedlam, the Catholics (who have quite a bit of pull) are highly reverent of God--at least outwardly--and it occurred to me that Big Church might employ something similar. Beyond that, it's an affectation of the setting and certainly not something I thought would chafe anybody. The use of "G*d", if anything, is meant as reverence from the perspective of the setting. The reason I chose * instead of - is because * is widely accepted, at least in the US, to be a variable or stand-in for something else and using "G-d" would possibly be confusing since we're talking a fictionalized Catholicism not real Judaism.

I hope that helped clear some things up. If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know!
_________________
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Streets of Bedlam - A Savage World of Crime + Corruption
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cbooth
Novice


Joined: 06 Mar 2011
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-posted from RPGnet:

Although I didn't jump onboard for the KS, I would gladly pony up for a supplement that included all of the KS Archetypes.
The updated .pdf addressed the issue of getting a group together, as well as some of the more glaring grammatical/spelling mistakes. There are still some errors here and there, but overall a much cleaner version.
I will throw in my 2 cents and say that I would like to see some setting-specific gear; nothing too crazy, mind you, but appropriate for Bedlam. Vehicles would be nice too, especially if a GM is in need of some stats for a chase. Better developed stat blocks for NPCs and mooks can really be handled by the GM, but I wouldn't say no to that, either. Anything that makes my life easier when it comes to running a game, the better.
_________________
Equinox
Vagrant Workshop
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cable Hogue
Seasoned


Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Posts: 484
Location: Ulm, Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jason!

Thank you very much for your answers.
jasonlblair wrote:
I struggled quite a bit with drafting a Plot Point Campaign for Streets of Bedlam because of those exact things you mentioned. Your breakdown of a traditional PPC is correct; I took a different route.

Instead of focusing on an over-arching plot, I chose instead to draft a spiderweb of events that branch from a single through-thread--very fitting of the crime drama source material. As the characters explore the central mystery, they run into (or have the chance to run into) a wide variety of crimes, criminals, and locations. They have the chance to right wrongs, make enemies, and get themselves into serious trouble. I wanted a campaign that embedded the player characters into the world instead of just introducing them to the world, which I saw as the true purpose of a PPC.

Is it mislabeled as a PPC? By a strict interpretation of the standard definition, probably. But I think "The Things We Do For Money" goes beyond being a simple scenario.
Oh, I didn't say it was a "simple" scenario. - As such it is quite a complicated network of scenes.

As a Savage since the 1st Ed. of the SW rules, I've come to very much appreciate and even expect a settingbook to be as "GM friendly" as it gets.

SW settingbooks achieve this - especially for those GMs with less time for scenario preparation - by providing scenario generators, lots and lots of simple (or not so simple) Savage Tales and often one extensive Plot Point Campaign.

I'm not good at coming up with scenarios myself. It takes me quite a while to get something together, that I might run for my players. Savage Worlds is my game of choice, because here using an adventure generator or some Savage Tales, putting them into context and fitting them to the PCs is really easy. It lessens my GM workload and allows me to get more actual gaming time into my scarce spare time.

Streets of Bedlam is a VERY interesting setting, full with potential for short or even very long, for straight or very convoluted scenarios.

To bring it to life at my gaming table, I have to rely on published scenarios.

Coming up with a scenario all by myself is a thing I try to avoid because of time constraints and - frankly - because my own ideas are often not as good as those I find even in a One-Sheet or a short Savage Tale.

I'd like to see more published scenarios for SoB. And not only long and complicated ones, but short, hard, fast and straight to the point Savage Tales.

One or more scenario generators would help. too. A good generator (like for example, the mission generator in Necropolis 2350 or the excellent adventure generator in Day after Ragnarok) gives me enough structure and (randomly generated) ideas to get going. - Such a kind of Bedlam Tales Generator I'd really like to see in a future publication.

jasonlblair wrote:

I thought it was clear in the following text:

Quote:
One of the last steps under each Archetype is the purchasing of Edges +
Hindrances for your character. With the exception of Citizen, each Archetype
begins with a handful of Edges + Hindrances already. You normally don’t get
any points for taking them—they’re just part of the package—but:

If you opt for the Major version of a Hindrance (you’ll be told in the
description when this is possible), you do get an extra point. For example,
under the Bulldog Archetype, you’ll see “Every Waking Moment” gives you the
Minor Vengeance Hindrance. If you keep it as the Minor version, you don’t get
any extra points. But if you bump it to Major, you do get an extra point.
Whether you get extra points by doing this or not, you’re free to take either
two Minor Hindrances or one Major Hindrance in order to buy yourself some
Edges, gain Skill points, bump an Attribute, etc per the Savage Worlds rules.


But I'll think on the wording to make it clearer.
It is not just the wording you've quoted above, but the Key Characters don't seem to "add up" as complete, playable characters.

For example:

A "Badge" gets
- Command Presence (Rep (Authority) +2, +2 to interrogation)
- Lucky Break (equals the Fool’s Chances Edge)
- No Good Deed (gives Enemy (minor) Hindrance) (for the choice Straight and Narrow)
- Angel Out There Somewhere (gives unexpected assistance) (for the choice Straight and Narrow)

Gabriella, the "Badge" example Key Character has
- Rep (Authority) +2 => That seems to be "Command Presence", but it is not clearly stated
- Hindrance: Enemy (Minor; Luca Garcia) => This is from the choice "Straight and Narrow" giving "No Good Deed"
- Edge: Fool’s Chances => That is probably from "Lucky Break"
- Edge: Angel Out There Somewhere => This is from the choice "Straight and Narrow" giving "Angel Out There Somewhere")

So the Key Character Gabriella is actually MISSING two minor and one major Hindrances, any Edges or Attribute- or Skill-raises bought from those Hindrance points, and even the basic Gear of a Badge: Glock 9mm, Kevlar vest, badge, uniform, starting money.

To be a ready to play character this Key Character has to be equipped and has to get Hindrances and Edges, that set her apart from a "standard Badge" fresh from the "cloning bank".

In SW the individualization of characters, PCs and NPCs alike, is realized by assigning Edges and Hindrances, less via Skill and Attribute stats.

So Gabriella (and all the other Key Characters = examples for playable Archetype PCs) has to be completed. Some hints can be found in the description paragraphs, but not enough to clearly assign the relevant INDIVIDUAL Hindrances and Edges. - And that's a thing I'd expect in the settingbook.


My uncertainty whether a character in SoB should get his usual two minor and one major Hindrances comes from the stat blocks of the Key Characters, because there - and in all the following NPCs, where stats are given - are those necessary traits missing.


NPCs, especially those individually statted NPCs, are sadly not ready to play. They need individual Edges and Hindrances (some are clearly suggested in their description, but others are not).

I've got the impression, that you might have missed the rule that NPCs in SW do NOT have to be created by using PC character generation rules. You could always assign any value, any Edge, any Hindrance, any Gear you like. - An NPC does NOT have a "rank" like "Novice". Rank is for Player Characters only to balance the characters in a gaming group against each other, but there is no balacing against NPCs at all in SW.

Some of the described NPCs really are presented as HIGHLY competent. But their game stats do not reflect this. - SW characters are much more heavily characterized by their Edges, and less so by their Skills and Attributes.

And that is the reason, I find the NPC stat blocks not ready to play: those characters are not sufficiently presented in game stats, because their Edges, Hindrances and typical Gear is missing.


Another issue:

A settingbook should have a kind of "white list" or "black list" of SW basic rules Edges and Hindrances that are explicitly allowed or disallowed/unfitting for the setting. - I miss that in SoB.

The "Exceptions and Exclusions" box is not sufficient to provide a player or GM with a list of fitting Edges and Hindrances.

Is Brave, Linguist, Noble really fitting into the SoB-setting? How about Giant Killer or all the Leadership Edges? - I don't think those Edges would fit SoB, but I'd like the developer of a setting make his decisions and recommendations, in order to avoid running during a campaign into a point, where a non-fitting trait might cause disruption of play.

So, please, a list of allowed and disallowed or fitting and non-fitting Edges and Hindrances would be VERY helpful.


And regarding of Edges and Archetypes:

Some special abilities an Archetype gives to the character are de facto Edges or Hindrances (like Marksman). But some are "something like an Edge" or "something like a Hindrance".

Example: Valkyries get Body To Die For to "get the effects of the Acrobat Edge". Could a Valkyrie character take the Acrobat Edge in addition to their Archetype special ability? Does it stack?

Some special abilities are ruleswise rather vague in cases, where a clearly stated rule would be necessary.

Example: The Pusher's Product Immunity is stated as "you rarely suffer ill effect from drugs and never suffer long-term from chemicals—unless the dose is enough to kill you." - Well. But how do I determine, if such a "rarely" occuring "ill effect" from drugs will actually occur? And what kind of effect would that be? And what is the difference in effect and risk depending on the actual used drugs? And what makes a lethal dose?

I have actually no idea about drugs and drug use. Sorry, never did drugs, and never learned about their different effects, doses etc.

I'd like a short paragraph giving me some examle drugs like Heroine, Cocaine and others with game stats and mechanics to determine how a character could resist becoming intoxicated, resist becoming addicted, resist deadly side effects from poisonous drugs, etc.

And a big cheer would get any paragraph about becoming "clean". - I have the involuntarily induced Heroine addiction of Doyle in French Connection 2 in mind - and the withdrawal scenes. That's stuff that makes for good drama in such a neo-noir setting. - But I need some setting-specific rules for that and the stats for different drugs from Rohypnol to Krokodil.


jasonlblair wrote:
You've made some good suggestions there. Some of those things (surveillance equipment, armored cars) are out of the scope of the setting book. For the basics, everything you need is in the Savage Worlds Deluxe corebook. All of SWD's Chapter Two is dedicated to gear, and the stat-heavy stuff such as a weapons are listed in their respective categories under a header that says "Modern." I don't think finding appropriate gear will require a lot of filtering. Personally, I didn't see a need to reinvent, and didn't have the right to reprint, the basics and, as I said, anything beyond that was outside the scope of the Streets of Bedlam corebook.
There would be less "reprinting", if those gear lists would be fitted to the economy of the SoB setting.

Nearly every SW setting deviates at least in the prices of any listed gear in the SWDE rules book, because every setting has its own "economy" and a .38 Revolver in the 1890ies would have another price tag as essentially the same gun (in game terms) in the 1930ies or 1990ies or 2012.

So a list with often needed, often used, often by PCs to be requested Gear would be very helpful for equipping starting PCs and NPCs as well.

And cars and other means of transportation are needed and have to be fitted to the SoB setting, too.

That is a more tedious kind of work (I know from making setting conversions since SW 1st Ed.), but it is very necessary in respect of the usability of a settingbook by a GM and by the players.

jasonlblair wrote:
Quote:
Cable Hogue:The SoB setting is in regard of support for the GM too much bare bones, even by the commonly rather sparse SW standards of setting description.


Beyond your issues above? If so, let me know what else you feel the main book should have. I'm open to suggestions.
See above.

Here is a short list:

  • Archetype special abilities need to be clarified and checked in respect of possible collisions with Edges or Hindrances.
  • A list of fitting and non-fitting Edges and Hindrances from the SWDE rules book should be included.
  • Typical, often used Gear and Vehicles should be included - and the prices fitted to the SoB-specific "economy".
  • Rules for drugs, drug-use, addiction, withdrawal and some example drug stats should be added.
  • Key Characters need to be fully statted out and equipped.
  • Major NPCs should be completely ready to play by giving them individual Edges, Hindrances and Gear. Do NOT create them according to player character generation rules, just assign game stats on what you think represents the character correctly.


jasonlblair wrote:
In Bedlam, the Catholics (who have quite a bit of pull) are highly reverent of God--at least outwardly--and it occurred to me that Big Church might employ something similar. Beyond that, it's an affectation of the setting and certainly not something I thought would chafe anybody. The use of "G*d", if anything, is meant as reverence from the perspective of the setting. The reason I chose * instead of - is because * is widely accepted, at least in the US, to be a variable or stand-in for something else and using "G-d" would possibly be confusing since we're talking a fictionalized Catholicism not real Judaism.
OK. That clears my puzzlement a bit.

Honestly, I've never heard or read such kind of notation for "God" with "replaced vowels".

Maybe, because here in Europe nobody has anything against writing your respective term for your deity as you speak it. In my family there are Catholics and Lutherans and in my gaming club we even had a Lutheran priest for quite a long time. I've never seen such kind of "restraint" in writing "God" (or in German "Gott") without a proper vowel.

At first I thought it was a typo. Then, as all occurences of God were written as G*d I became more and more confused about the cause for such a "consistent typo".

I'll try to "overread" the asterisk as much as possible. - But I'd recommend placing a footnote or a box in the book in which you explain the uncommon spelling of God in SoB in order to avoid like puzzlement in others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum