Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few showdown questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mechaace
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: A few showdown questions Reply with quote

Hello there

I'm trying to build some lists for Hellfrost, as I like the game, and being that I'm an avid wargamer, fancy doing some tabletop set in the universe.

However going through the showdown spreadsheet I've got a few questions.

Firstly size. If you're size -1 you obviously put that in the size column, this of course affects the cost of it. However there is also a special ability of being small, so would you put both in, thus affecting the cost more or just use one?

Also armour, are the values shown in the armour field the cost of the armour the figure has, or is it the total armour value that armour gives?

No doubt I'll come up with more as I go on. And if anybody has attempted similar it would be good to hear their opinions.
CynicalMisfit
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have been Savaging some figures from Heroscape recently for some good ol' fashion skirmish fun I'll try and field your questions.

1: Yes you put both in. Size which effects toughness in the size column and small in the special column as one effects the toughness and one effects the bonus to hit said creature.

2: It is the cost of the armor seeing as even shields do not give a direct bonus to toughness and alters the wielders parry as well.

Hope that help.
Mechaace
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it does, means I've actually been doing it right. Hooray.

And yeah for armour I figured it was that way, cause as you say the small shield doesn't have a cost, and they also effect other things like parry so I took the cost of them.

Another question. How would you go about doing mounted troops? Would you make your troop and then add the cost of the horse (or whatever he is mounted on) to him?
Mechaace
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question as well. Are powers really all 5 points for each power? Just seems like there would be different costs for them. I know there is the different casting value and what not but still.
CynicalMisfit
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mounted troops it would depend on how the mount interacts within the skirmish itself. If the mount in question is a dragon or some such creature that can attack or act on it's own accord then I would cost out the mount. If the mount were just a means of transportation and had no real other use, then I would go with giving the person on the mount a pace of the speed of the mount and somewhat hand wave the rest.

As for powers, you can't really gauge how many points powers should cost because different powers are more useful in different situations. For example, Burst is a cone effect power with the range of the power being limited by the length of the cone template. This power may not be very useful on a open battlefield, but can be deadly if used in a dungeon environment with narrow passages and small rooms.

So if you suspect a power you will be using to be more effective in the game your setting up for feel free to bump the cost of a power by a few points.

As stated in the showdown rules, the points systems used is by no means a precise science. As with most things in Savage Worlds you should go with what works best for you and those you game with.
Mechaace
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I think I would like the mounts to attack, given it would seem odd for wolves etc not too. Would the mount cost get added to the figure cost or would it be linked in somewhere like special abilities? I'm leaning towards just adding it on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: